Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
wereallwet
Earning My Ears

DSLR on airplane

Hey everyone!

I recently bought a Canon rebel DSLR camera and I am leaving for Disney in 10 days. Wahoo!!

My question is, that I want to keep my camera with me on my shoulder in the airports, has anyone ever done this through security? Run into any trouble?

Is this a good idea in case I want to take pictures in the airport, or should I just pack it safely in my carry on?

Thanks for the advice!
wereallwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
DISNEYaddict4evr
Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereallwet View Post
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a Canon rebel DSLR camera and I am leaving for Disney in 10 days. Wahoo!!

My question is, that I want to keep my camera with me on my shoulder in the airports, has anyone ever done this through security? Run into any trouble?

Is this a good idea in case I want to take pictures in the airport, or should I just pack it safely in my carry on?

Thanks for the advice!
If you plan to carry it over your shoulder I would be sure to invest in a nice lightly padded case for it to wear. Accidents do happen and you don't want to knock it around. Also if the flight is full be prepared for them to count it as your one personal item
DISNEYaddict4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

I'd pack it away during the screening process. We fly out of PHL and I snap a few pictures before getting too close to the guards near the x-ray machines and than closer to the gate. When it's not being used, it's in my Lowepro Slingshot bag which counts as the 1 personal item (not a "carry-on" item)

I'm not sure what the hiring process for the TSA is like in PIT, but for PHL, I think it sounds like "Will you work for this small amount? Yes? Really? Okay, you're hired!" There is some training, but there is also a huge gray area which lets the fine men and women of the TSA exercise power trips sometimes. Don't take pictures around them, they have just enough authority to make you late for your flight. And for whatever reason, the bigger the lens, the bigger the threat Not sure why, but than again neither are they
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Icemann
Dis Vet

I've flown out of Midway,Ft Myers And Philly and never had a problem.But carry it in a bag of some sort.I've used a Domke F2 and a Tenba backpack and they have looked inside and let it pass.They have considered it as one personnal item.Just be careful of what and when you take pictures.On a trip tp Alaska I took pictures inside the plane and out of the window and no one said anything.Congrats and the camera Have fun at WDW
Icemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemann View Post
I've flown out of Midway,Ft Myers And Philly and never had a problem.But carry it in a bag of some sort.I've used a Domke F2 and a Tenba backpack and they have looked inside and let it pass.They have considered it as one personnal item.Just be careful of what and when you take pictures.On a trip tp Alaska I took pictures inside the plane and out of the window and no one said anything.Congrats and the camera Have fun at WDW
Building on that DO NOT take pictures of the the X-RAY machines!!!!
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
wereallwet
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll probably put it in my carry on and then take it out after security.

I like taking pictures of the airplanes!

I'm really excited about my new camera, this thing is awesome!!
wereallwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
Building on that DO NOT take pictures of the the X-RAY machines!!!!
To expand on that it's only the SCREEN of the machine. Which shouldn't be visible to you.

Doesn't mean some thug on a power trip with a patch won't hassle you but by law, they can't do anything for you taking all the pictures you want of anything (aside from the actual screen, which is supposed to be obscured from plain sight from travelers anyway).

It will have to go the X-Ray machine though.

Click/video* away at the airport and screening areas, it's a public area and protected as such.

*Some states have draconian interpretations of the "wiretapping" laws and you could get into trouble audio recording police officers. Most State Supreme courts have ruled on this recently and overturned some of those local interpretations. Note those are *not* federal laws nor do they have anything specifically to do with the airport or screening areas.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: