Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #46
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28KatCar View Post
I'm in! This is one of the most entertaining TR I've read. Road trips can be very interesting, looking forward to your next installment!
Welcome!!! That is so sweet of you to say!!

This road trip ended up being VERY interesting with all the crazy shenanigans that went on

Should be putting the next part up tomorrow
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #47
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Hi! Laura sent me too!

I'm loving the TR so far! You're hilarious and I can't wait to read more.

Awh thank you! Glad you are enjoying it!!

Moth City, Hitchhiker--both very creepy. I would have died!

These are both situations where death seemed imminent! Seriously the stuff horror movies are made of!]

I have such great memories of road trips with friends. My favorite was a non-stop drive from Chicago to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I also got stuck with most of the driving-especially overnight. However my show tunes wingman fell asleep and deserted me. Very disappointing.

[Wow that is a trek. Come on show tunes wingman!!! That is VERY disappointing.
People need to realize that the 'back up car singer' is just as important as the driver in road trip situations!

There was so much more that I wanted to comment on, but it's late and I'm old. I've forgotten.

this sentence made me do a weird laugh/snort and choke on my dinner!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #48
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Thats one cool (_!_) wedding photo!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #49
jane2073
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report!
I love road trips just about as much as I love Disney! We always travel by car and go out of our way to stop a crazy roadside attractions. The older and more run down, the better!
I have seen alligator road kill! It is not pretty!!

Can't wait to read more!!
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #50
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

OMG I can't believe the pillow and wallet was still on the roof after driving on the highway!

Quote:
"Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers As They Are Most Likely Escaped Inmates"
... Wow. LOL.

Quote:
Now I'm not trying to be mean, but you know how some people just look like murderers?
Yes... yes, I do.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAW HIM AGAIN, OMG. I can't believe someone picked him up even! Wow! That is so crazy.
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #51
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

I'm so in. You are hilarious!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #52
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
Thats one cool (_!_) wedding photo!!!
Thanks! It was such a fun day, even with jerky Elvis!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #53
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
Loving your trip report!
I love road trips just about as much as I love Disney! We always travel by car and go out of our way to stop a crazy roadside attractions. The older and more run down, the better!
I have seen alligator road kill! It is not pretty!!

Can't wait to read more!!
ME TOO!!! Aren't roadtrips the best?!
You make so many memories and have the best adventures with them!
It's so funny to see what is the main "attraction" of some towns.

Ew I know! Not pretty at all! (but still kind of exciting, for an Australian at least)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #54
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
OMG I can't believe the pillow and wallet was still on the roof after driving on the highway!

It was amazing!!! I'm pretty sure Bek kissed the car roof and thanked it after that ordeal!

... Wow. LOL.

I know, that's the kind of sign you love to see while driving...

Yes... yes, I do.

Good! Glad you know how to identify a murderer as well

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAW HIM AGAIN, OMG. I can't believe someone picked him up even! Wow! That is so crazy.
ARGHHH I KNOW! What kind of person would pick him up???
All I can think of is another crazy murderer?!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #55
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsk8nmac View Post
I'm so in. You are hilarious!
Awh thank you! And a very big welcome to you!!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #56
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Chapter Three

“Please Get Out Of The Car And Place Your Hands Where I Can See Them"

So we left the last chapter narrowly escaping the murderer for the second time.

Please excuse the lack of photos in this update, it clearly would have been inappropriate and probably would gotten us arrested! So I used a little help from google

Soon after this encounter we across border control that happens just outside of Las Cruces? (please feel free to correct me if that's not the right name) as highway 10 comes very close to the Mexican border.

We were pulled over, 3 harmless looking 20 something's just having a nice road trip. I say three because for some reason Tim’s driving attire consisted of his most dirty torn drug-dealing looking singlet, a backwards baseball hat and dirty shorts combo. He is one of the best dressed guys I know, but while in roadtrip mode- Tim's look turned a little scary. Now I love Tim, we all do, but we are still convinced to this day that he is the reason border security gave us a tough time. So they came over to the vehicle and asked us some questions. Now I still can’t tell you when things went south but all of a sudden it was decided that we looked suspicious. We were made us drive into a special area with a team of officers and scary looking sniffer dogs

They then demanded we get out of the car and place our hands where they could see them!! Now this was quite worrying as we had been in the queue to go through the checkpoint for ages due to traffic and we had not seen anyone forced out of their car! So we climbed out of car as quickly as our 'havent been stretched for a few hours' legs could carry us. I might add at this point that about an hour earlier Bek and I had changed into our pyjama shorts to be more comfortable. These shorts were bright pink and blue- mine with sushi on it and her with clouds and rainbows. So there we were on the side of the road in pyjama shorts feeling a little (read VERY) terrified!

They took us each aside separately and asked us 300 times how we knew each other and if we had drugs in the car. This whole process actually took some time... All the while standing in our 'very obviously pyjama pants' or 'ghetto drug dealing attire' on the side of the busy road (Actually Josh was dressed normally, good work husband ) I wish 300 was an exaggeration but it wasn't apparently those two were the questions of the day. They then made us empty our pockets and inspect what we took out, now for some reason Tim had some sort of crumbly cookie powderish remnants in his short pockets which created another round of awkward invasive questions. I believe it was at this point that it started to rain... Were we offered shelter? Ha of course not. Apparently they were still not happy with our answers so they sent their massive scary drug sniffing dogs into the car while we stood on the side of the road.

Can we note how friendly this sniffer dog looks? Ours did not!

All of this while the passing cars mocked us. Well we never heard any mocking ...but if situations were reversed we would mock so it's pretty safe to assume. I mean this visual would have been too good to pass up! FINALLY they let us go and we had a wonderful surprise in the car. The sniffer dogs had walked mud ALL OVER the car AND the new pillows. Yay, also because it had been raining the car now had the lovely aroma of wet dog which is always a hit!
Because everyone knows the number one smell you want in your car when you are stuck in it for days at a time is wet dog…

So on we drove through Texas, and on and on and on. Later that night we were meant to stop for dinner around 8. However 8 came and went and there was nothing around, so did 9, and 10.... Finally at 4am we stopped for dinner once again at….. Denny's!

We had finally reached Houston! Why didn't we stop at San Antonio for dinner you ask... good question. I will take the blame for that one. Houston looked a LOT closer on our unreliable free gas station map I made the call to just kept driving and have dinner a little later.... Ahhh the lessons we learn along the way
We were getting through Texas at a snails pace. But we were getting through it. Back to Denny's! Wooo! You know you're in for a classy meal when there are cats hanging out in the parking lot. Yessss sir you heard me!
We sat down in Denny's and we were pretty much the only ones there until a couple of minutes later some ladies and their gentleman friend came in and were seated right next to us.
Now here is the part I have to word delicately, from the attire of the ladies and their gentleman friend, the conversations we overheard and a little bit of common sense it became apparent that these were ‘ladies of the night’
Ok. There is not a doubt in my mind that they were. No problems here. Just saying we know....you know?
They were quite intimidating though and kept looking over at us, a couple of minutes after we ordered Bek and I started to head to the bathroom and two of the women got up and started to follow us in there. Now call me crazy but things like that make me a little paranoid, especially when no one else is around and we had already had one close murder call of the day. They followed us right in and then came right up to us – close enough we could smell their breath and…. asked if we had a lighter
Well that serves us right for judging a book by its cover!!!
So these ladies and their man friend were actually really lovely and asked us where we were going. The answer "Disneyyyyyyyworllllllllld" never gets old and always gets a smile out of people. They were all so lovely that we sort of moved our tables together and shared a nice middle of the night meal. So we chatted with the ladies and their friend and this is where things got a little strange…well stranger, can't remember what started it but the tired deliriousness of the day had caught up a little. I remember crawling under a strangers table (ohhhh dear) and Tim making a wonderful napkin hat that he put on and refused to take off... I also remember Bek and I spitting juice all over ourselves in a laughing fit. Nice one.

Now as I mentioned, these situations weren't exactly photo friendly so here are a few nice ones from non eventful driving between insane events.

Next up

How To Terrify A Truck Driver And Realllly Test Your Brakes!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #57
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Sounds like fun, visiting with the border patrol in Texas. Not! Glad you escaped.

Now, what is this pic supposed to be of? Just wondering...

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic
mmeb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
jane2073
DIS Veteran

Did they at least appologize when they realized you weren't smuggling drugs???
Check and question if you have to, but there also needs to be a level of common courtesy too! You have my admiration for not letting that put a huge damper on your trip!
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #59
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

OMg I wanna go to WDW with u guys you seem so fun!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #60
teedee
DIS Veteran

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I just had to let you know how much I'm enjoying your trip report! I keep getting strange looks from my dh because I am literally laughing out loud while reading! I can't wait for more.

Terri

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: