Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #121
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

Hey all, I'm planning to attempt one of the patchwork skirts and wondered if there was a tutorial or anything in the blogosphere that could help me...

TIA!
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #122
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
Hi all!!! I was lurking and posted about finding fabric... I wanted to post an outfit I made ALL by myself!!!

I am not the pro you ladies are but I am trying. I made the applique and shorts tonight. I used a zig zag stitch to go around mickeys head. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I just have a regular sewing machine.

This shirt I really messed up on the stitching but I am hoping when it is on my son you cannot notice it.

Thanks for letting me share!
Welcome! I have no ideas on the fabrics but I like them, they would make a great Epcot outfit. The shirts look great! I don't have an embroidery machine either so, Mickey heads are all I've done and they can be hard because of the curves but yours looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitcherkicken99 View Post
Hey all, I'm planning to attempt one of the patchwork skirts and wondered if there was a tutorial or anything in the blogosphere that could help me...

TIA!
I know Andrea has all the math worked out and has posted them before. I have never copied or written them down though, I have boys so I didn't think I would need them. Andrea and a few others are having a big dismeet this weekend so hopefully someone else has them and can post them before the weekend is over. If you don't get an answer try posting again on Monday or Tuesday when everyone is back from traveling.

Sorry I wasn't more of a help, I just didn't want to leave you hanging without some sort of answer.

Last edited by PrincessMickey; 08-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.
PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #123
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

For every day, I would wear a slip, 2 or 3 petticoats, underwear and dress or skirt and blouse (which must be tucked in.) Then I either wore socks or stockings depending on whether it was school or a dress up occasion. If it were dress up--add girdle, gloves and hat to the outfit! Going shopping, going to church, out to eat, etc-- was dress up. School and play were the only casual times.
That was a lot of clothes! I am glad that I don't have to wear that much in the summers! I remember that you posted a few pictures of some of the beautiful dresses your mother made for you. She was an incredible seamstress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I'm really enjoying re-reading the Bobbsey Twins with my kids right now! Strangely, I am noticing some very old style, borderline racist comments in the older versions (green covers) that I never noticed as a child. It will make for some interesting discussion material when they are a bit older.

The diaper cover you describe sounds like the same one I'm making - from Tye Dye Diva? I want to make some to sell, but they are so time-intensive! I actually copied a pair of bloomers my dd has last night and did the mini-elastic. It worked out pretty well, but I think I need an actual pattern that has that style to combine with the TDD pattern to really make it work. I'll let you know if I get it figured out.
C.
Interesting that there are some racist comments in the Bobbsey twins books. I am not shocked. Times and thought processes were different back then! It is a good springboard to conversation.

The diaper cover patterns is the same. I'd bet you could use it and just add the elastic and not do the casing.

Quote:
Hi! It was recommended by another diser that I ask here on this thread for a fabric that I am in search of. I am trying to find the fabric in the below picture. The one with the kids and flags on it. I need about a yard. Please let me know if you know the name of the fabric or where I can find it!!! Thank you!!
I am pretty sure that fabric is a Michael Miller fabric. It has been out of print for a long time. You can still find pieces of it on Etsy but it is fairly expensive. I can't remember what it is called.

Quote:
Hi all!!! I was lurking and posted about finding fabric... I wanted to post an outfit I made ALL by myself!!!

I am not the pro you ladies are but I am trying. I made the applique and shorts tonight. I used a zig zag stitch to go around mickeys head. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I just have a regular sewing machine.

This shirt I really messed up on the stitching but I am hoping when it is on my son you cannot notice it.

Those are very cute! Good job on the applique.

Quote:

TIA!
I was going to answer the same thing about Andrea having the math all worked out. If you look through the last thread from our group, you'd probably find it. I've never saved it. I bought the patchwork skirt pattern from CarlaC on YCMT. There really is no need for a pattern though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
I know Andrea has all the math worked out and has posted them before. I have never copied or written them down though, I have boys so I didn't think I would need them. Andrea and a few others are having a big dismeet this weekend so hopefully someone else has them and can post them before the weekend is over. If you don't get an answer try posting again on Monday or Tuesday when everyone is back from traveling.
LOL! I answered the same thing. Glad you added the bit about Andrea being away this weekend.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #124
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Hi! It was recommended by another diser that I ask here on this thread for a fabric that I am in search of. I am trying to find the fabric in the below picture. The one with the kids and flags on it. I need about a yard. Please let me know if you know the name of the fabric or where I can find it!!! Thank you!!
I've never seen it but I like it. Another poster answered that it is old so good luck !

Quote:

great job on the applique's. I haven't seen that first Mickey fabric anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
That was a lot of clothes! I am glad that I don't have to wear that much in the summers! I remember that you posted a few pictures of some of the beautiful dresses your mother made for you. She was an incredible seamstress!

I was going to answer the same thing about Andrea having the math all worked out. If you look through the last thread from our group, you'd probably find it. I've never saved it. I bought the patchwork skirt pattern from CarlaC on YCMT. There really is no need for a pattern though.
I never saw the clothes ? Are they still on the Dis somewhere ?

If you Google for the skirt I'm sure you'll find a tutorial.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #125
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:

TIA!
Here are Andrea's directions. I emailed them to myself once upon a time, but haven't used them. For some reason, neither of my sons seem interested.

I vary the sizes depending on the size of the child. In this case, because I appliqued on the squares with 4x4 designs, I made the top row 5" x 5" . Then I keep the same height but do 1.5 times the length for the second row. So my second row was 5" x 7.5 and third row was 5" x 11.25 inches -- and I quite possibly rounded up and made the second row 5" x 8" and the third row 5" x 12" -- sometimes I will do it 1.75 times wider as I go down. I don't know what size ruffle I put on this dress. It's a lot of gathering but I find it easy to line up the squares (many people do patchwork without lining the squares up but my personal preference is lined up). I serge BEFORE I gather and I find that makes it easier too.

Andrea does amazing patchwork twirls!!!

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #126
Yoshiandi
Just working for my next Disney fix..

Pirate makeover outfits

Got these done yesterday afternoon!!! My thanks to whomever had originally posted the pirate skirt with the coins!!!

This is for my munchkin

For my princess

17 days and counting!!!

Yoshiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #127
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20

Here are Andrea's directions. I emailed them to myself once upon a time, but haven't used them. For some reason, neither of my sons seem interested.

I vary the sizes depending on the size of the child. In this case, because I appliqued on the squares with 4x4 designs, I made the top row 5" x 5" . Then I keep the same height but do 1.5 times the length for the second row. So my second row was 5" x 7.5 and third row was 5" x 11.25 inches -- and I quite possibly rounded up and made the second row 5" x 8" and the third row 5" x 12" -- sometimes I will do it 1.75 times wider as I go down. I don't know what size ruffle I put on this dress. It's a lot of gathering but I find it easy to line up the squares (many people do patchwork without lining the squares up but my personal preference is lined up). I serge BEFORE I gather and I find that makes it easier too.

Andrea does amazing patchwork twirls!!!
Are there any pictures handy for her patchwork twirl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi
Got these done yesterday afternoon!!! My thanks to whomever had originally posted the pirate skirt with the coins!!!

This is for my munchkin

For my princess

17 days and counting!!!
Too cute!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #128
Amyhoff
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone! I posted this picture of a Woody tee shirt on my FB page and now my friend wants me to make her son one. I ordered the belt buckle and badge pre-made from Etsy. However, I would like to get the files because I just bought my own embroidery machine. I can't find the files anywhere. Does anyone know where to purchase these? Heathersue has a buckle and badge, but I like this one with the border just a little better.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #129
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Are there any pictures handy for her patchwork twirl?
I am not sure if you want pics of step by step directions, so I took the chance to see if you would like to see a finished skirt Andrea made for Lisa's Big Give. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this skirt!

Andrea is staying with me this weekend and when she and Lisa B return from Fabric shopping, I will ask if she has pics of the tutorial.

blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #130
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Thought you might like to see 2 pics we took last night of some of your disboutiquers...and one of these days I WILL be a disboutiquer as well! I SO want to SEW... and embroider!!

Rachel, Andrea /vbandrea, Lisa B/mommy2MRB, Megan (Lisa's daughter) Alexa in front of Megan (Andrea's daughter), D~/dmgeurts beside Megan, Marianne/mphalens in front of her, Me (Judy/blessedmom4) and my Lisa, Beth/blyssful, Liz/babynala, my sons David and Christian.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #131
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyhoff
Hey everyone! I posted this picture of a Woody tee shirt on my FB page and now my friend wants me to make her son one. I ordered the belt buckle and badge pre-made from Etsy. However, I would like to get the files because I just bought my own embroidery machine. I can't find the files anywhere. Does anyone know where to purchase these? Heathersue has a buckle and badge, but I like this one with the border just a little better.
Froufrou by heather sue. I got the badge. I saw the buckle. (also have buzz outfit appliqués)

Sorry. Just re-read and missed that you tried heather sue. Maybe etsy? I'm certain I've seen at least Sherrif badges on there.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #132
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4

I am not sure if you want pics of step by step directions, so I took the chance to see if you would like to see a finished skirt Andrea made for Lisa's Big Give. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this skirt!

Andrea is staying with me this weekend and when she and Lisa B return from Fabric shopping, I will ask if she has pics of the tutorial.
Thank you. That is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4
Thought you might like to see 2 pics we took last night of some of your disboutiquers...and one of these days I WILL be a disboutiquer as well! I SO want to SEW... and embroider!!

Rachel, Andrea /vbandrea, Lisa B/mommy2MRB, Megan (Lisa's daughter) Alexa in front of Megan (Andrea's daughter), D~/dmgeurts beside Megan, Marianne/mphalens in front of her, Me (Judy/blessedmom4) and my Lisa, Beth/blyssful, Liz/babynala, my sons David and Christian.
Hope you all are having fun!

HELP!

I am trying to put the name Donald on a blanket. I have a PE770. I have heather sue's font. But how do I get the letters to be a word? I don't want to buy a program right now. Is there a way to set it up on the machine? Currently I have each letter in its own file on the usb.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #133
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
THANKS!!!!!!
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #134
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

I blame you all!!!!

Specifically, I'm going to pin this on PIPER and pyrxtc......

All this vintage pattern posting and nostalgic talk of dressing in the 50's MADE me just spend about $45 on vintage patterns so I can have a "50's inspired Christmas"! So come December, my family shall look like we came out of a Norman Rockwell drawing! Once all the patterns get here, I'll take a picture and post what I purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post
Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore. It will be an adjustment but we can do it. My DD's response was "NOOOOOO!" and then when told that DH would be with her, "But he's too prickly!" So as long as he keeps up his shaving we should all be OK. Now I will just have to restrain myself from ordering my PE770 before I even earn the money!
Congrats on the new job! Hope you settle into it really easily and your family adjusts well to your new schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Question - Has anyone run across directions for stitching narrow elastic onto a diaper cover leg rather than make a casing or applying bias tape? I want to alter a pattern to speed up construction.

Regards,
C.
Is the diaper cover for aesthetic purposes only, or does it need to be actually waterproof??

If it's just for looks, then you could always do it like you apply elastic to swimsuits: Sew the diaper cover together so that it looks right, but doesn't have the fitted legs. You also need to finish the seam some way here on the leg holes. Sew the elastic together to make a loop (you will have to fiddle with the length to cut the elastic, but I generally use my kiddo's leg as a guideline and make it so that it just rests around it, but not too tight since my kids then complain that the elastic hurts because it's digging into them). Once you have your loop of elastic, use a THREE STEP ZIG-ZAG stitch to sew the elastic down into the leg hole. You will need to stretch the elastic out (evenly....pin in quarters if you need help dividing up your elastic evenly) to meet up with the too big leg hole.

I hope that helped and didn't confuse you more. If it's for an actual functioning diaper cover, then there really is no other way other than making a casing or using FOE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!
Oh Sandi, you put me to so much shame! I took a peak at how many pictures we have from our trip and it's under 100! I'm such a bad diser!

BUT your family looked like they had a wonderful time! SO happy you have all those memories.

Quote:
I wore a size 10 womens all through junior high and high school (and beyond.) I was 32-20-32. I lived in the hoop skirt (for formals) era, but fortunately not corsets. We did wear lots of petticoats and you always wore a slip with a dress...so petticoats went over the slip. A "lady" always wore a girdle, though. You can see by my measurements that I had no physical need for onebut my mother insisted. No "lady" went out without stockings, gloves and a hat. I was born in 1945.

My mother sewed all my clothes, so the petticoats had elastic since she knew my measurements so well. Clothes were starched and ironed--yuck. When I was a baby, my mother made all my underpants with ruffles--she even ironed the ruffles!

Clothes are so much easier to wear now and so much easier to care for. Imagine Houston without air conditioning in lots and lots of layers of clothes. For every day, I would wear a slip, 2 or 3 petticoats, underwear and dress or skirt and blouse (which must be tucked in.) Then I either wore socks or stockings depending on whether it was school or a dress up occasion. If it were dress up--add girdle, gloves and hat to the outfit! Going shopping, going to church, out to eat, etc-- was dress up. School and play were the only casual times.

Oh, and my father was a postman so we were not socialites--just ordinary folk.
Do you mind me picking your brain and asking what BOYS wore, specifically in the winter??? I found a little suit pattern (coat, vest, slacks) but must admit that I am PINING over the little overall SHORT sets with the knee socks. I think of that as quintessentially 50's for boys, but I doubt they wore shorts in the winter/cold months. However, I can't recall any pictures I've seen. If it helps, I'm talking of a toddler who will be two come Christmas time.

Quote:
When I was small my dad's route was River Oaks (which was then the richest area of Houston.) My dad was always very regular and you could practically set you watch by his schedule. He was also very friendly. He used to get lots of presents, too. Dad was one of the people who quietly helped others when he saw that they needed it. For example, he would quietly go back to church on Sunday afternoon and pull the weeds from the flower beds--no one knew. He often helped others. When he died, I had a lot of older and a few younger men come up to me and tell me that my dad was the best friend they had ever had.

My mother, on the other hand was "showey"--note the emphasis on my looking and acting like a lady. I never saw her do things for others unless she got acknowledgement and lots of it. I never felt that I quite lived up to her expectations. Guess who I admired and wanted to model myself after?
Your father sounds like a wonderful man. And it seems to me that you have done a fine job of following in his footsteps. I know that he would be very proud of you.

Quote:

HURRAY! I think it looks very good! Can't wait to see what you make next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post

This is for my munchkin

For my princess

17 days and counting!!!
Hurray for your trip getting so close! The pirate sets look very cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyhoff View Post
I am no help at all on the embroidery files (don't have a machine) but I NEED to comment and tell you how much I love this Woody set! It looks FABULOUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post

Thanks for popping in and sharing! I hope you all are having such a wonderful visit together.

Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #135
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post

This is for my munchkin

For my princess

17 days and counting!!!
These look fantastic!! I think I may have posted the first pirate skirt with the coins in the last version of this thread. I love seeing all the new ones, too! I adore these color combinations!

Can I ask what you used instead of a ruffle? Is that bias tape or some other edging? I really hate making ruffles, but I love the style of the ruffle pop skirt. I like how yours looks with just the brown border!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyhoff View Post
Super cute! I might have to copy this for a future trip! That's a tough one with the edging. I haven't seen any like that. Is it felt? Maybe google "in the hoop sheriffs badge"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: