Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

So cool. I missed the Food Truck Race stop in Denver last year...it was the day I flew to WDW.

Jill in CO
Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #32
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
So cool. I missed the Food Truck Race stop in Denver last year...it was the day I flew to WDW.

Jill in CO
That's too bad, I'm always curious about food trucks in other places. But missing it because of WDW is worth it.
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov + 2014-July
tomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #33
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 2 - Disneyland With Friends

We wound up waking up a little later than planned. At the time Austin's uncle dropped us off at the Fairfield Inn, we were actually supposed to be meeting my friends in the esplanade. Oops.

Our room was ready so we dropped our stuff off first then rushed over to the parks. This is our first time staying at Fairfield Inn and it's pretty nice. The walk isn't as bad as I expected.

Half of our group, Julie, Lauren, and Austin's brother, Alex, was there with us that morning, the other half had gone to the My Little Pony event last night and weren't coming until later since they didn't get home until late.

We sent Austin to get Space Mountain fastpasses for everyone and we walked down Main Street to the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe, taking a detour into Candy Palace first. Both places were under renovation when we were there in November so I was eager to get a glimpse of both.

We don't usually go commando at Disneyland anymore since we've been so often but I knew that day would be even more than a "stop and smell the roses" kind of day. Which meant stopping for breakfast at the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe rather than hop on a ride first.

Of course, I HAD to get the Mickey-Shaped Chocolate Tart. I've been reading reviews since the day they opened and had the list of must-eat's prepared. Yum!

Alex got the Signature Cinnamon Roll.

I was surprised by how big it was!

Austin picked out the seasonal cupcake. I think he was attracted by all that chocolate. The cupcake was pretty darn big, too! We could only finish half of it that morning.

We also ordered an abuelita with a shot of vanilla upon Alex's recommendation to wash everything down, but we both thought that it was just so-so.

After breakfast, I'm thinking we probably went to Indy and did single rider, and then Pirates. I know around noon we headed to the Big Thunder Ranch to go to the jamboree that just started that weekend.

While we were walking around, Alex was acting as a tour guide and telling us all this trivia he had learned while working there. He pointed out this tree to us, I think because it's the oldest tree in Disneyland or something like that. I believe it was a recent transplant.

We had to wait for awhile to get a picture with no one in the frame (and as you can see, it didn't happen - I meant to go back but forgot) so we were cracking jokes about how weird we all looked taking pictures of this normal looking tree.

Outside BTR.

Chip and Dale are by no means my favorite cartoon characters, but I love watching them in the parks. It must be so much fun to play these two since you get to goof around.

Lauren had a Chip plushie hanging from her bag and they noticed it so she took it off to let them play with it. Dale took it and stuffed it in his mouth to Chip's horror.

Julie loves the characters so she was pretty happy to see the rare ones there, like Horace.

The Jamboree wasn't very crowded at the time we were there.

We hung around for awhile longer because there was another rarer character in the rotation, Clara Cluck!

Julie was so happy to see her! She even asked for an autograph, partly because we were wondering if she could do so and apparently, she can!

It was nearly 1:00 PM by the time we left Big Thunder Ranch. We headed over to Space to use our FP before Sandy, Melissa and her bf Gilbert arrived. We talked about doing a goofy shot on Space, but it didn't come out.

Afterward, we decided to eat lunch and it was back to Jolly Holiday Bakery. We needed two or three tables for our big group and luckily we found just enough. The lines were super long so we waited and chatted. When it was finally short enough we hopped in.

Looking at how few pictures I got (the above was 1 of 2, the second didn't come out), I realized that maybe I do need to stand in that long line to give me more time to take pictures!

More must-eats! The combo with grilled cheese and tomato basil soup. Maybe we're easy to please, but we didn't have any issues with the flavor. I think the only reason we wouldn't get it again is the cost.

Hot Angus Roast Beef on Toasted Onion Roll. This was really good. We got it freshly made because I requested horseradish aioli on the side. They said it would take awhile since they could only make it when they make a new batch of sandwiches, but they happened to be making a new batch at that moment so it came out right away.

After lunch, either we went to get Dole Whips or we went to Haunted Mansion. Or maybe we had gone to Haunted Mansion earlier in the day. Hmm...in anycase, I know for sure the Dole Whips was after everyone had arrived.

You know that tip about going in the line on the other side of the stand, in the Tiki Room waiting area? Well, it's not true. We all went into the inside line and Austin finally went outside and decided to see which line was faster. The outside line was MUCH faster. Sure, when there's very little people in line, it'll probably be faster, but when the line inside is long, the tip doesn't work. We learned the hard way. At least we were in the shade most of the time.

Around 4:00 PM, we hopped over to DCA and Austin went to get fastpasses for Screamin' while we slowly made our way to the Little Mermaid ride. The line was so long! It was pretty much a walk on the times we rode it on our last trip.

Oh well, it allowed me to notice details I hadn't noticed before. Like this tile-work in the ground.

We headed for a round on Screamin' and decided to start heading back out since it was getting late. We swung through the Pacific Wharf area to check out the new dessert place and to get sour dough samples at Boudin Bakery. Julie left without saying goodbye to everyone instead of coming in. I guess she was just really tired at that point. She did come back later but everyone else had left at that point, so she went solo and we never did run into her.

Everyone actually decided to leave after the bakery tour, too, so we went to the parking lot. Lauren had gifts for everyone so we all followed her but than she realized she didn't park on the floor of the escalator we were on, so she went down the stairs when Sandy pointed out the floor she wanted was upstairs. It was pretty funny.

One of the reasons I decided to go with them to the parking lot was that I didn't know when I'd see Lauren again, so I needed to get the gift now. Also, I'm closest to Lauren so I wanted a chance to talk to her privately and I figured it wouldn't hurt to go back to our hotel to freshen up.

Unfortunately, 1) she gave us this big chocolate bunny - we never did eat it yet and it took up so much space in our luggage. I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want it. Then, 2) she took a wrong turn and kept making wrong turns and then it took forever to get back to the starting point so we could try again. At least we finally found our way back to the parking lot. The second time we listened to the GPS.

As soon she dropped us off, we hustled and walked back to DCA as quickly as possible but we were too late. They had closed Screamin' for the night.

The thing I hate the most about World of Color is the closing of Screamin' early! Screamin' at night is my favorite ride. I stock up fastpasses to be able to enjoy it at night.

Since it was too late for Screamin', we went back into Disneyland and I consoled myself with a bowl of clam chowder.

We were making the rounds in Fantasyland when Disneyland closed at midnight.

I remembered my resolve to look up every once in awhile and saw this over the entrance of Pinocchio, something I had never really paid attention to in all the years I've been going to Disneyland. I guess it's not such a bad thing to be unobservant and being able to discover new things every time you go. Heh.
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov + 2014-July

Last edited by tomoyo; 07-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

Great report!

I am obsessed with dumplings and wish I had someone to take me to all the best ones in NYC.

Thanks for the report!

Jennifer
Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #35
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 3 - The System Is Down

Day 3 was another slow, slow day, but I had not planned for it to be that slow.

We were greeted by long lines from both parks even though it was a weekday morning and the early crowds should've gone in already. Apparently the computer system was down! Which meant slow moving lines to get inside. I really thought I had written down the wrong opening time at first.

We split up at that point. Alex and I went to get FP for Screamin', not realizing that when the computer system is down, it also means no fastpass! Ugh, what a horrible thing to discover after walking all the way there.

Austin went to order us breakfast at White Water Snacks in the Grand Californian. We had never eaten breakfast at White Water Snacks, so we thought we'd give it a try this trip.

American Breakfast - with eggs, smoked bacon, red bliss potatoes and toast

California Breakfast Burrito - scrambled eggs, diced tomato, Cheddar cheese, bacon and red bliss potatoes

The inside of the burrito.

Buttermilk Biscuit Sandwich - Fried eggs, smoked bacon and Cheddar cheese

If we had to get breakfast there, we would probably get the burrito again. That biscuit was way too dry.

We were getting up to go when we noticed it was 11:00 AM and they were starting to serve lunch. We figured since we were there already, we'd get our nachos for this trip and went back to order them. We found out that you can order it with half chicken and half beef, so we were able to try something new again.

Half Chicken Half Shredded Beef Nachos - with guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos and salsa on the side

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely we'll order this again. The chicken was really delicious, perfectly seasoned, so it's a pity that we won't get it again. But it's because the portion size looks like it's shrunken in half! It used to be served on a large platter plate and now it's served in the plastic baskets that the rest of the food is served in. It's just not worth $10 to us anymore.

At this point, we would've run back into DCA to grab another FP, but with the system down, we decided to explore the hotels and Downtown Disney for awhile. First stop, the fireplace at Grand Californian.

Marie in one of the child-sized rocking chairs by the Grand Californian fireplace.

We stopped at Build-A-Bear next because I wanted to pick up a formal dress for her to wear on formal night. Then we went to check out the new Lego Store.

Naked Lego men.

We were amused by the peeping tom with the camera.

We wandered down to the Disneyland Hotel to check out changes. They were in the middle of renovations in the lobby area when we were there in November. There were characters roaming around the lobby.

Baloo

Rafiki. In hindsight, we wished we asked Rafiki to reenact the introduction of Simba to the Animal Kingdom using Marie.

Pluto

Disneyland Hotel pool

When we were done, we decided to take the monorail back into Disneyland just in case the lines at the front gate were still long. It was really quick and we were even able to get the front of the monorail!

And this is where we go black. No pictures and no receipts until dinner time to tell me what we did. I can only assume we were in Disneyland the whole time.

Last edited by tomoyo; 07-16-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #36
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 3 - The System Is Down ~part2

Around 5:30 PM, we decided to head out for dinner at Red Robin. Our friend recommended it to us awhile ago so we've kept putting it on our schedule but putting it off for other things, so I made it a priority this trip.

I thought we could walk it from Disneyland to Red Robin. We survived, but I don't think we would do that walk again in that heat, especially not without cold water on hand.

Freckled lemonade

We were so thirsty and hungry at this point, I think we went through several refills until we were satiated for the time being. Good thing it's bottomless!

Sauteed 'shroom

Prime Chophouse

Salted Caramel Shake

The shake came out last. Apparently they misplaced the bottle of red Hawaiian sea salt.

Everything was pretty tasty! I think we'd come back if we had a car.

Now we had to walk all the way back. It was not as miserable as before since the sun was setting so it was much cooler and we weren't hungry. We went to Disneyland and with no FP for the night, we stuck with non-FP and single rider attractions until the park closed and then shopped for an hour on Main Street.

Earlier when we were in Grand Californian, we peeked into Hearthstone Lounge. It was on the list of things to do one day. I've read a lot of about getting a seat by the fireplace but there were only four seats there. As luck would have it, a couple was leaving a few minutes after we arrived and were looking around for seats, so we snagged them. Alex joined us after work fairly fast, but since he wasn't working in the Emporium that night, it doesn't take as long to close up.

Our drinks: coke with Buzz light up, Pineapple Upside-Down Martini, Key Lime Coconut Martini

Austin wanted the Buzz. I ordered the yellow drink, but found it too strong for me, so I made him switch drinks with me.

Alex got a virgin Pina Colava

We were still feeling full from our early dinner, but we felt we had to order some food and we're not opposed to trying new food. It wound up being just so-so to us. Maybe we were too full still.

French fries. This came out lukewarm so we sent it back and I swear they gave us back the same fries.

"Robusto" Flatbread - Topped with Chorizo de Bilbao, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Burrata Cheese and Romesco Sauce.

We were getting sleepy so we headed back to Fairfield Inn to retire for the night. We still had to pack up our bags since we were changing hotels the next day. Alex wound up coming with us to stay the night since it was late.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
j2tyco
Earning My Ears

I am thoroughly enjoying this trip report.. am I missing a link to more days or did the the original poster stop the report ??
j2tyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #38
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Thanks for reading so far, j2tyco! Real life has kept me busy and honestly, day four has soooo many pictures, that it was daunting to go through it all so I've been putting it off. I am still here, though, and I hope to finish the whole two weeks.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #39
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 4 - Nomnomnom

Around 10 AM, we walked from Fairfield Inn all the way to Enterprise on Katella Avenue to pick up our rental car. It took awhile since the car they were giving us had no gas in it so we had to wait until they filled it up. When we finally got the car, we took it back to the hotel and checked out of Fairfield Inn. Then we dropped Alex off at his dorm and finally on our way.

While researching L.A. food trucks, I came across an article about the best food truck in LA being Mariscos Jalisco, so of course, we have to try it out. Luckily, it was on the way to our first destination, so it was easy to bump that to number two and make it our first stop instead.

We had never ventured into this area before, so we decided to tread carefully. It still didn't stop us from almost hitting two people who decided to jaywalk without looking both ways.

There were actually two taco trucks parked along the same street very close to each other. We were a little confused at first and it didn't help that we didn't know any spanish, so we just kept walking onto the next truck and saw "Mariscos Jalisco" on the second truck. Jackpot!

We got the one item I had read about, the tacos de camaron, deep fried shrimp taco. Since we were taking it to go, they put the avocado half on the side and the salsa in a cup. And then we headed back to the other truck, Mariscos 4 Vientos, and ordered the same item to go (it was packed similarly), and then headed back to the car to have a taste test.

Mariscos Jalisco: Tacos de Camaron

Mariscos 4 Vientos: Tacos de Camaron

The inside, pretty much looks the same.

I thought it was so-so but Austin liked it, aside from the cilantro. The avocado was the best part for me, but it's probably because we both hate cilantro and both the taco filling and the salsa, which are the two variables in deciding which is better, were filled with it, so I couldn't really taste much except cilantro. Austin is more tolerant than I am in regards to taste. Since we didn't really eat it the way they usually serve it (avocado slices on top and covered in salsa), it's hard for us to really judge which one was better.

Because we started out two hours later than I originally planned, I dropped Little Tokyo from our itinerary. I regretted it later since we wound up with more than an hour to kill before dinner. I wouldn't have minded an exotic sausage from Wurstküche again.

Next up, Bottega Louie! Lauren, one of the girls I went to Disneyland with the other day, is a big fan of their food and Cat, a friend from home, went to eat there on her last trip to L.A. and raved about their food, especially the portobello fries. So that's what we got. We did have to circle for awhile trying to find an open parking spot in downtown L.A.

We actually called ahead and put in a take out order so it would be ready to go when we got there. Of course, I stopped to look around because the decor is pretty and the desserts are even more pretty! I was drooling and wanted to buy them all but he told me to focus on the macarons. I went nuts and picked out ten flavors to try, but I wish I had more moderation, since I wound up liking another store's macarons more than Bottega Louie's.

We only put fifteen minutes in our meter, so Austin went ahead to get the car while I waited. Even though our food order was ready, there were a lot of people in the line for desserts.

Portobello fries

Yum! It came with a delicious aioli, too, but it was good without it as well! We would order it again!

Earl grey macaron

One of my favorite macaron flavors at Bottega Louie.

We ate the fries while heading to our next stop, the Westside Food Truck Central. That turned out to be a bust, because none of the food trucks there had anything that really interested us, so off to the next stop, Royal/T Cafe.

While driving, we came to a stop light and saw this and did what any tourist would do, we whipped out our camera to take a picture.

We finally got to Royal/T around 1 PM to eat lunch. There was a Groupon offer for Royal/T a month before we left, so I went ahead and bought it. I'm glad we went one last time, because Royal/T is now closed.

A lot of people came before us, so it took forever for our food to come. We took turns wandering around. The exhibit at the time was food art.

I liked the merchandise displays the best.

Surprisingly, Austin wound up buying something instead of me. He saw a bacon wallet that wasn't that expensive, and he did need a new one, so he got it! But we found it cheaper online after our trip. Oh well. Who knows if he would've bought it at home. Bacon wallets are the kind of things you can indulge in on vacation.

Our food finally arrived so we sat down to eat.

Smoked Salmon Plate - Atlantic smoked salmon, toasted bagel, chive
cream cheese, tomato, onion, romaine lettuce, capers, lemon

Kobe Beef Sliders - Served 3 ways - quail egg up, tomato chutney, blue
cheese and caramelized onions

Everything was delicious! Though you can't really go wrong with smoked salmon. In hindsight, considering how much smoked salmon we would eat on the ship the next week, maybe I should've ordered something else.

After lunch, we headed to 'Lette Macarons. Although Lauren likes Bottega Louie, she prefers macarons at 'Lette Macarons instead, so we went there next so I could make the comparison myself.

'Lette Macarons

Yum, she was right, I did prefer the macarons here more. The best part was that they're bigger and cheaper. Darn it, how I wish I hadn't bought ten of them at Bottega Louie!

Macarons in hand, we headed for our next stop, JapanLA. This is another store Lauren recommended a few trips back, though the real reason I went was to find a pair of rings Melissa had been wearing on Sunday at Disneyland. She told me she had gotten them there during the My Little Pony event.

There was a lot more in the store than I expected, so we spent a little time there for me to look around. I actually couldn't find the rings and was about to give up when I spotted them in a display case. Then I found out the price and winced, but I had had my heart set on buying it that day. Pictures of my rings and Austin's bacon wallet will be in another post.

Also at JapanLA, I was pleasantly surprised to see a pony!

My Little Pony x Spank at JapanLA

For the My Little Pony Project 2012, 25 notable artists created a one-of-a-kind My Little Pony for the exhibition.

We were actually headed for the Toy Art Gallery next, which is wear the exhibit was being displayed there in May and that's where the My Little Pony event, that I mentioned previously that my friends had gone to, was held.

I took pictures of every single pony and sometimes from different angles. There are way too many pictures, so I just picked out the most interesting ones to me and my favorites.

Not really a favorite, but the eyes!

She is one of my favorites.

I love all the detail.

Initially I was taking one picture of each pony and moving on, but because I liked this pony so much, I stopped to take a closer look at it and noticed all the little things, like how the hair was treated, or the rhinestones in the eyes. It made me go back to where I started and check out each pony thoroughly.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #40
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 4 - Nomnomnom ~part 2

The other eye also had another soldier peering out.

This one is just crazy looking. Reminds me of Sid's toys.

This is a pair of shoes with My Little Ponies glued to it.

I planned for a lot of time for the exhibit, but the gallery was a lot smaller than I thought, so we ended up with lots of time left. While I had been taking pictures, Austin went to walk around the area and came across a truck giving away free drinks. I guess they were promoting their product.

They were actually having difficulty giving it away, so we wound up with an extra drink. Not that we needed it since we decided to go to Starbucks to indulge in the happy hour frappuccino deal while we waited for Animal, where we were eating dinner, to open at 6 PM. At that point, it was a little past 4 PM.

While we were at Starbucks, someone made a huge scene over her frappuccino because she felt the barista didn't mix it right, so you couldn't say our hour wait wasn't at least entertaining.

We left at 5:30 PM because we were concerned how parking would be in the area. We did circle a bit, mainly to find the closest spot that wasn't metered, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Maybe it was still early yet. Animal wasn't open yet, but Canter's Deli was.

Austin likes pastrami, so we tried Langer's last trip, since it's supposed to be the West Coast equivalent to Katz. He didn't really like Langer's, and our foodie friend recommended Canters' instead. We ended up not going at all. Too much food.

After reading Yelp reviews on how difficult it was to get a seat, I stressed over making a reservation, so we made it for exactly 6 PM when they opened. I was stressed out for nothing. There was only one couple ahead of us when the doors opened. They did fill up quickly closer to 6:30, but there were still seats open when we left before 7 PM.

foie gras, biscuit, maple sausage gravy

chicken liver toast

marrow bone, chimichurri, caramelized onions

The meaty view.

We wanted more food after this, since the portions were so small, so we ordered one more main dish.

veal brains, vadouvan, apricot puree, carrot

The meaty view, again.

I really wanted to order another meat dish, but Austin said no more. At least he okayed dessert.

bacon chocolate crunch bar, s&p (salt & pepper) ice cream

Every thing was amazing! The foie gras especially! I wish now we had ordered another foie gras dish, since we won't be able to get it again if we went back to Animal. Their preparation is the best I've had of foie gras. Hopefully we can afford to splurge here again the next time we're in L.A. It was totally worth it.

Since the portions are small and we shared everything, we stopped at another small food truck gathering. This one I knew for sure there would be a truck we wanted to try, Tornado Potato.

When I researched things to do in Vancouver, one of the things I came across was the Richmond Night Market. A lot of the pictures featured a twirly potato on a stick, so it was the one thing I really wanted to try at the night market and was disappointed when we couldn't go. We went outlet shopping at home one day and found a stand selling these potatoes, but they were tiny and looked nothing like what I saw in the pictures. I gave up the thought of eating a "real" one until I came across the Tornado Potato truck. Even if we had been full, I think I would've made sure we found this truck.

Sausage Tornado (beef polish sausage)

Original Tornado Potato (garlic Parmesan)

Definitely much more tasty than the ones we have at home. And maybe twice the size! But I've tried it and I'm satisfied. We don't have to hunt it down again the next time we're in L.A.

We finally got to our new hotel in Buena Park after 8 PM. Check in was quick and we lugged our stuff to our room. We weren't really tired yet and maybe I was looking at our itinerary, noting all the places opened at Buena Park that were on the maybe list, but all I know is we wound up deciding to go out to eat again.

Beach Live Fish (the Live Fish part is in Korean, so maybe that's not the right translation, but that's what Yelp has) is someplace we actually tried to go to previously, but the internet failed me and told me lunch opened at 10:30. It doesn't, it opens at 11, so we had to skip it out last trip. This time we went 30 minutes from closing. I already knew what we were getting, the raw octopus, but then we thought that maybe Alex would be interested in the experience of eating it, so we called him up and he said yes, so we got the Uni special combo instead. I wasn't sure if they'd let us split the meal, so we were prepared to order something else small, but we didn't have to.

banchan and miso soup

uni rice bowl

sashimi and california roll

tempura, grilled salmon, salad

Everything was pretty good. The uni was a disappointment compared to our last trip when we had a fresh uni at Masan. The spines were still moving and it was all uni, nothing mixed in. The uni rice bowl was tasty, but it could've used more uni for sure.

We were definitely full after this meal, so it was a no go on the dessert place I wanted to try, so we retired for the night. We had to recharge for all the shopping we'd be doing tomorrow.

Last edited by tomoyo; 08-18-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #41
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 5 - Shop 'til You Drop!

We started the day off fairly early at 8:00 AM. We were awake early enough that I had time for a loot pic.

The bacon wallet and eye rings.

When we were ready, we went to go pick up Alex first. We requested for him take the day off today so that we could go shopping.

A french macaron for a french kitty for breakfast.

First stop is Dollar Tree. I wanted to pick up a cheap over the door hanger to use on the ship. I was iffy on if we really needed it or not, so I figured we'd just buy a cheapo one rather than lug one from home.

We also found a super cute book all about Marie!

I wanted to buy more stuff since it was such a bargain, but Austin reminded me that we didn't have any room in the suitcase.

Sidenote: I'm seriously jealous over anyone that has access to so many dollar stores. I'm planning my wedding now and I keep reading how people get $1 vases for their centerpiece. The cheapest I've found it here for similar vases is $3.50 at Walmart.

Promptly at 9 AM, we walked over to Disney's Character Warehouse, now known as Character Depot. We were planning on driving by the Pomona one later that day, so we took pics to compare prices and stock and then left, but we had to take a detour from our plans to go to Costco so Alex could get a new memory card for his new camera. He wanted a new camera so he could get better pictures of Disneyland. Not that we minded since we like checking out Costco's in different areas. I think that Costco's layout mirrored our local one so it was like starting from the other end when we walked in.

We also filled up the tank since 1) Costco gas is cheap and 2) there was a lot of driving ahead that day, we were going to need it.

We finally get going and arrive at Company D! I was a little disappointed when I walked in because it looked so small, then I kept walking and walking...let's just say I went a little nuts in there. Alex, too.

I wish I had known that the area for castmembers only opened later. We wound up having to stay there longer just for it to open and then we had to wait for Alex to shop and then stand in the one long line. He found some stuff for me, so I can't complain too much, but it completely threw us off schedule. He actually went through the line pretty fast, but on the way out, he found more stuff and had to stand in line again. The woman ahead of him the second time had two HUGE trash bags full of clothes and then didn't have enough money with her! So they rang up all that for nothing and wasted the time for everyone standing behind her. It was really irritating to watch. They held all her merchandise for her though, so perhaps she knew she didn't have enough, but needed it saved somewhere. It seems like it's every man for himself in there. Like Black Friday shopping basically, as soon as they opened the gates.

It was past 1 PM when we finally left. We were supposed to be eating lunch at WDI already. Instead, we drove our hungry selves to the Disney Soda Fountain to get the pin traders delight to get our free pin and pick up some other pins that I was pleasantly surprised about still being in stock.

I think we picked rocky road, chocolate and strawberry ice cream.

We finally got to WDI at 3 PM! While Alex signed in, I made a beeline for this huge Mickey vinylmation and stuck Marie on it for a picture. I realized that I forgot to take a picture of the vinylmation itself without her there but maybe that's when I saw the "no photography" sign.

Of course, by then the cafeteria was closed.

We followed the guard's directions down the hallway, while wishing we could take pictures of everything! We found Mickey's of Glendale and immediately, Alex has no problem finding more stuff to buy, but I searched really hard to find something unique that I'd be willing to spend money on. I really wanted that I would only be able to find there but not something boring like a pen or a notebook that says WDI. The pin selection was not to our (Austin and I) taste, but we bought some anyway because it's something we could only get there (well, and eBay but that's not the same).

Turns out they were closing soon! My google-fu was extremely weak trying to dig up more info on MoG. The store hours is one of the things I couldn't find. Good thing we rushed through DSF. We had just enough to browse carefully and then I had time to angst over what to buy.

When we were done, we lingered outside for pictures. We weren't entirely certain if the no pictures was just inside or if it applied to outside, too, but no one said anything. Of course, there were very few people outside.

Once we took all the pictures we wanted to, we left and took the long drive to the Disney Store Outlet at the Ontario Mills mall. It was a very long drive considering how hungry we were. I did plan for a small detour to pick up a strawberry donut at The Donut Man.

I'm sorry, but we do not get the hype! Sure, fresh strawberries are always nice and there was a lot of it, but in the end, it was just another donut. I still prefer Krispy Kreme, more tasty and you don't have to drive far to find one, at least not if you're going to Disneyland.

It's now 5 PM. The donut was a nice reprieve, but we've basically eaten nothing all day aside from a few macarons, ice cream, and strawberries and a donut. Let's just say, tempers were short, while trying to find the Ontario Mills mall. Thankfully we were going to eat right after this stop.

Not sure if it was the hunger or the anger, but I felt the selection was pretty dismal. I know it's a hit or a miss when it comes to outlet items but nothing was worth buying. Alex found something though. I think he outshopped me all day so far!

For dinner, we went to the Cici's Pizza in Chino Hills. I know a lot of people consider the pizza there to be gross, but we think it's fine. We like that it's cheap and all you can eat, especially since we were super hungry! But the main reason is that there's no Cici's Pizza where we live but we're inundated with the commercials all the same. Just like Joe's Crab Shack, and just like Olive Garden. Sure Olive Garden isn't real Italian, but we can get good real Italian food at home. On the mainland, we want Olive Garden. And for what it's worth, we think the food at Olive Garden is fine, too.

After dinner we headed to Frank and Sons for more Disney shopping. We came a little late so we rushed to the pin dealers first and it takes a long time since there's so much to look at. We only got to go through two stalls before the voice on the loudspeaker was already telling us it's time to leave, unfortunately. I like browsing the stalls here, you never know what you'll see. Picked up some cute stuff, but definitely not as good of a selection of what we're interested in like the last time.

After we left, we went back to Beach Live Fish again, to eat raw octopus.

Sorry, the quality wound up being junky, but you can still kind of seeing the tentacles moving here.

We took Alex back to his dorm after we finished off the octopus and then went back to our hotel to crash. It had been a long day.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 6 - Another Shopping Day

We started off this morning with breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. We ate here once our last trip, but it was super early in the morning and we both felt that perhaps our bodies weren't really awake yet because we couldn't eat that much. So we gave it another chance.

First we have to get through pictures with Goofy.

Not sure if we asked him to do this or if he did it on his own.

When we finally got seated, it was time to sample one of everything.

Finally the characters started coming to our table, first up Perla (Cinderella).

Aladdin gave an incredulous "are you serious?" laugh when I asked him to pose with Marie.

Snow White never came around despite how long we were there, so we went to her before we left.

Only two characters stopped by our area, pretty darn sad. We were there for a little more than an hour, too.

After breakfast, we headed to Pomona to check out the Character Warehouse. We were suppose to go do more Disney shopping, but Alex was concerned we wouldn't be able to get him back to work on time, so we went back to Disneyland instead.

A quick snack at Bengal BBQ because the line was short.

Sometime before 4:30 PM, we went to Ross to check out luggage prices, wondered if Costco would be a better deal, drove there and discovered that no, maybe it was of a higher quality, but we only wanted one suitcase and not a set and drove back to Ross. I let Austin pick out the suitcase and was pretty dubious that it was big enough to fit all the stuff I no longer wanted to take on the cruise after I came to my senses about carrying all that junk as well as all the new things I bought, but that's what he wanted.

At 4:30, we finally made it to Boiling Crab for dinner.

One pound of shrimp in the whole shebang.

A dozen fresh oysters.

We went shopping some more after dinner and finally made it back to Disneyland after 8:00 PM.

In all the years I've been going to Disneyland, this is the first time I've noticed that the DVC kiosk is a UFO.

I was attracted by the pretty lighting to stop by Rancho del Zocalo.

As we were headed to back to the car, we spotted a hidden mickey!

If it's still there, it's around here.

Austin was really tired, but I begged him to let us check out Coffee Code, a Korean coffee shop, since it was super close to our hotel. It was on our list last trip and we never got to go. Unfortunately I punched in the wrong address and it took us to Beach Live Fish again. Oops. Luckily it wasn't too far a detour.

The decor was super cute, but it was definitely crowded so there was a bit of a wait to get our order. We were lucky at the time we arrived and scored a table. We saw people standing outside waiting for tables after we were seated.

Austin got a sweet potato latte. Not much of a picture since, well, it's a latte.

I got a Thai Iced Tea. This is how it arrived to the table.

After I mixed it. I didn't adjust this picture, it really is a very tall glass.

We also ordered the Berry Berry Waffle that I read a lot about on Yelp. Yummy!

A sample of our loot over the past few days.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #43
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - DCA day

This morning, we went to California Adventure to take advantage of the Disney Visa meet and greet. Pluto was there at that time.

Marie and Pluto having a showdown.

Eventually Pluto took Marie from me and stuffed her in his mouth. D:

Poor Marie!

This is a cute detail.

Old news now, but when we were there, they were setting up for the Mad T Party.

For lunch, we decided to try places we usually avoid due to them having more negative reviews than positive, so off to Pacific Wharf area for Lucky Fortune Cookery and Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill.

They allowed to us order all four sauces on the side: teriyaki, thai coconut curry, mandarin orange, and spicy korean.

We went with beef for our protein.

Chopsticks for size reference.

Chicken Tamales - Two Chicken Tamales served with pasilla-tomatillo sauce

After lunch we decided to watch the Muppet 3D movie. Armed with a better camera, I decided it was time to re-examine the waiting area again. I think the last time I took pictures in there was five years ago when I started going to Disneyland regularly. Though I don't have any in this trip report, because I'm sure there's tons of pictures out there.

Instead, here's the inside of the theater. I've honestly never heard a CM encourage picture taking in the theater in the many, many times I've gone to watch the movie, so I snapped away as quickly as I could. Maybe it has been okay to take pictures, but it was a novelty to me.

Stepped into Off the Page and decided to pay attention to the ceiling for a change.

We did a drawing class at the Animation Academy. Mine was too crummy to take a picture of, but Austin did a nice job with his. You can tell it's Goofy.

It was finally time to get in line for Aladdin. We always go once a trip to see what new jokes the Genie comes up with.

After the show, we head through Bug's Land to see Duffy!

Grizzly Mountain

Duffy with Marie

It's about 3:00 PM at this point, we decided to go back to the hotel to rest.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #44
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - DCA day ~part 2

We dragged ourselves out of bed around 5:30 PM for a quick snack before our late dinner at PCH Grill, another restaurant we had never tried. PCH Grill has since updated their menu, so I'm not sure if any of the food we got is available anymore.

Classic Chili Fave - Beef or Turkey Patty smothered in Chili, Onions, and Cheddar

California Cheddar French Fries - with Bacon Bits and Chives

Creamy Mushroom Bisque - Forest Mushrooms Sauteed with Marsala Wine in hearty Cream.

Heh. It was just supposed to just be a small snack since we were eating at Ariel's Grotto for our WoC dining two hours later.

We were able to get in four rides on California Screamin' right before we headed to dinner.

Sourdough Pull-apart Flower

Ranch, butter and pesto dip

Mixed greens salad with house vinaigrette

Ciligiene Mozzarella, Marinated Piquillo Peppers, Artichoke Hearts, Zucchini, Eggplant and Asparagus

Proscuitto, Chorizo Bilbao, Chef's blend of Marinated Olives, Tomatoes
Manchego Cheese, Chilled Sauteed Clams, and Shrimp tossed in a Wasabi Vinaigrette

The refills make us feel a little bit better about spending so much on a meal. :P

Cioppino - Lobster Tail, Scallops, Sustanable Fish, Green-lip Mussels, Shrimp, and Bilbao Chorizo in a Fire-roasted Tomato Broth

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip - Slow roasted over rock salt and smoked with red oakwood. Served with Cheddar-herb mashed potatoes and a medley of seasonal vegetables.

Dessert platter - Chocolate Molten Cake, Tiramisu Chocolate Cups, Passion Fruit Quenelles, Green Apple Mousse in a Cone, French Macarons, Chocolate Ganache Crunch Triangle, and World of Color White Chocolate Film Strip, and Seasonal Mixed Berries

We ate dinner during the first showing and were seated by a window, so we could actually watch and eat at the same time, though we actually watched and didn't eat. Which meant we were one of the last groups there and we got a chance to take a lot of pictures of the decor, people-free.

I refuse to watch World of Color any other way but with the premium viewing area. I'm willing to pay the money to not stand around for an hour. The last time we saw it was when WoC was new and that area was in front of where the VIPs were seated. So glad they realized that it was a poor location. The new premium area really was amazing. We hadn't planned on taking any pictures because we were so absorbed the last time trying to get a video we wound up watching most of it on the tiny lcd screens. But the view was so good I couldn't help getting the camera out to snap pictures. Just a few before all the water drops started showing up on my pictures.

And one final picture on the way out of the park.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #45
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

I haven't abandoned my trip report; I need to at least start the cruise portion before even thinking about abandoning.

To whoever was reading along, sorry for the four month delay. Life just got in the way with a SF/Disneyland trip last month to plan for (Carsland, yay!) and a Tokyo, Japan trip in February. I'm shooting for finishing before that trip happens!

One more day and then embarkation! And just so you know, I can't skip Day 8, it features Club 33!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: