Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
nrichards
Earning My Ears

A True Rookie Family's Take on Disneyland

Hey everyone!

Yes, this is my very first post on Disboards, but I've spent the last several weeks reading through everybody's trip reports to help with planning our very first trip to Disneyland. So I wanted to say how grateful I am to all of the information everybody's provided through their reports, and I hope some of you enjoy our take, as people that have never been to a Disney park before.

Who "we" are:

My name is Nathan, and I'll be the one writing this report. I just turned 30, and have a degree in math and science education, but am not currently working as a teacher. I'm also a gigantic nerd and spent an insane amount of time planning this trip to every last detail.

Also coming along with me are my girlfriend, Stephanie and our 8 year old son. When I said that we had never been to a Disney park earlier, that's not entirely true - I haven't, and our son hasn't either, but Stephanie used to live near Orlando as a kid and had an annual pass to Disney World one year, but it has been 25+ years. A lot of the specific information I got in planning specific activities came from her sepia-toned memory of that magical year.

We live in Seattle, and are very much west coast people. It really is the best coast, as far as we're concerned. All three of us love the culture, atmosphere, and the natural beauty that surrounds us all the way over here.

We were only gone for four days (August 8-11), but make no mistake, this trip has been in the making for many years. We wanted to wait until DS was truly ready to enjoy Disneyland on his own terms. He is such a free spirit, that until this year he would not have understood why he wasn't allowed to do certain things, or why we had to wait until the next day to go on a particular ride. Now that he's old enough, though, this will almost certainly not be our last trip to what must, indeed, be the happiest place on earth.

I want to thank everyone for reading and indulging me in this report, as writing it is allowing me to relive some of those amazing moments that only Disney can stir up. I also want to apologize for the fact that I unfortunately don't have a ton of pictures to share. I'm not a particularly skilled photographer, and was often too busy gazing in wonderment to remember to pull the camera out. It's a shame, because so many of you have such amazing photos, and I've enjoyed very much being able to visualize Disneyland before I'd even set foot there.

I'll be back soon to talk about our first day, and both a grown up's an eight year old's first visions of the oasis in the big city that is Disneyland.
nrichards is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: