Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Leaving kids at home to go on ABD?

Hi all!

This may be a strange question. I know there are many threads on taking kids out of school to go on vacation. But my question is just the opposite,

do any of you leave your kids at home (with relatives, etc), to go to school, so you can go on vacation?

Forgive me if it is a silly questions, but I really don't know. My wife and I want to go on an ABD tour, I understand that there are adults only tours, but we're not interested in that. We just don't want to take our child out of school, but we want to experience ABD, in particular backstage magic. Also our child is 6, so I don't know if that's old enough, or if he would appreciate it, etc.

What do you think?

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

When my DW and I did the Cities of Knights and Lights trip last year, we left our DS (9) at home with family so that he could go to school. It killed us not taking him, but it was too great an opportunity to pass up. We included him in the trip and took "Flat Ian" with us. We took pictures of Flat Ian all over London and Paris. Ian has no problem with it, especially because we told him the ABD trip, he would get to go on.

Ian (and DW and I) just got back from Backstage Magic and he said it was totally worth the wait.
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh
When my DW and I did the Cities of Knights and Lights trip last year, we left our DS (9) at home with family so that he could go to school. It killed us not taking him, but it was too great an opportunity to pass up. We included him in the trip and took "Flat Ian" with us. We took pictures of Flat Ian all over London and Paris. Ian has no problem with it, especially because we told him the ABD trip, he would get to go on.

Ian (and DW and I) just got back from Backstage Magic and he said it was totally worth the wait.
great pics, thanks for sharing! the backstage magic tour is actually the one where we may have to leave our child behind. we'll have to weigh pros and cons.

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
kristilew
DIS Veteran

We go on vacation without our kid all the time. The greatest gift you can give your child is your happy marriage, and an important part of that is time together as husband and wife instead of always as mommy and daddy.

As long as you have someone you trust to leave him with, go for it! Besides, you can always bill BSM as research you are doing for a future Disney Land trip that includes him.
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
We go on vacation without our kid all the time. The greatest gift you can give your child is your happy marriage, and an important part of that is time together as husband and wife instead of always as mommy and daddy.

As long as you have someone you trust to leave him with, go for it! Besides, you can always bill BSM as research you are doing for a future Disney Land trip that includes him.

My thoughts exactly! After we went on BSM with our DS, we booked 4 days at the Disneyland resort in November so we could take him back, because he loved it so much. He was amazed at how different it was compared to WDW.

We are booking another ABD Adventure to Germany for next year and letting him stay with relatives. He knows there is a good payout to come. We will probably take him on the Spirit of America Adventure next.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: