Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

If I left MK at 1:00 that doesnt leave much time for us.. ;( But I guess we will just have to do a couple of things, eat lunch and get out of there. I guess 10-1 will have to do. Thanks so much for all the replies!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
The DME will pick you up at your resort approximately 3 hours before your flight. That would be 2:30. I'd leave the MK no later than 1:00.

I think you misread her departure time. The DME will be picking her up before 3:00.
Oh yep, I totally did! I agree, I would leave the parks no later than 1:00. That is what I get for posting when I am chatting with 2 people, and looking up airfare at the same time!
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
dzorn
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
If I left MK at 1:00 that doesnt leave much time for us.. ;( But I guess we will just have to do a couple of things, eat lunch and get out of there. I guess 10-1 will have to do. Thanks so much for all the replies!
Parks are usually open before 10. Up early and go to em.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
We are big believers in getting to the parks at rope drop. You can get a ton of stuff done from 9am-11am. We're usually exiting the parks to go swim at 1pm.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Everyone from the bell services desk, front desk, and on-site airline desk is more than happy to walk you through the entire process and answer any questions you have. It is a little confusing the first time you go through it, but they are there to help you!!

One tip. CHECK YOUR BOARDING PASSES!!! We have had them mess up our names and seating assignments. If they do, just check in at the airline check-in desk/ticketing counter when you get to the airport, prior to going through security to have them re-issue the passes. They see it a lot (based on their comments to us when it happened on one of our trips), and it's an easy fix on their end.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz
Just go earlier. Pack the night before and leave out what you need. Check out and go to the parks.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
lovetogowdw
Mouseketeer

A few questions for you

I just noticed the ages of your children and the note about your mother's condition (so sorry).

You may end up finding it is worth the less stress to check your bags at the hotel (RAC from above posts), put any must have carry on items into your stroller while at the park and then just get a cab from the park to the airport even if that is an out of pocket extra expense. But Magical Express is easier than a cab from a car seat perspective (don't need them on ME as they are stowed in cargo area below) and I think you have to go over to the Ticket and Transportation Center to catch a cab from the MK anyway, so maybe just allow plenty of time for all the travel on the park to hotel bus.

Which hotel are you using? For example, if you're at the Contemporary then the travel logistics from MK to your hotel to catch your ME bus aren't nearly as complicated/time consuming as they are if you are at say Pop Century.

Is this your only day you are planning at the Magic Kingdom? If so, then pack the night before, check those bags early and be at MK at rope drop. You can get an amazing amount done in a short time (with a lot less effort/stress on you) if you are there really early. You might even find you have had a full day's worth of fun by noon and then just head back to the hotel for a more relaxed lunch there and then a bit of hotel sightseeing, pool or arcade time. Note that you can use your hotel pool and pool shower facilities even after check out time on the day you check out. When my oldest was three he just wanted to spend our last morning playing in the Goofy fountain at Pop Century.

Will your mom need a wheelchair or scooter? If so and there are several wheelchair passengers ahead of you, you might need to wait for another bus between the park and your hotel. Just factor the possibility into the transportation time.

Remember that less can be more at WDW with little ones. They might find the Main Street activities (singers, horse-drawn carriage, etc.) and/or the castle stage show and/or the little Celebrate mini-parade and/or a Dole Whip or playing in the Casey Jr. water area more exciting than any ride. You just never know what will be a big hit. Don't feel you have to "do it all" and instead just relax and savor the little things and whatever time you have that last day at the MK will be amazing.
lovetogowdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #23
Julie711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz
Okay thanks so basically if our flight leaves at 5:30 what time do we have to leave Magic Kingdom??

So, we just bring our stuff down to the hotel lobby and they will take it for us? I'm sorry to sound so stupid, we just have always driven.
If your flight is at 5:30 you'll need to be at your resort at 2:30 so I would be at the bus stop in MK at 2pm, gives you 1/2 hr to get to your resort.

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie711 View Post
If your flight is at 5:30 you'll need to be at your resort at 2:30 so I would be at the bus stop in MK at 2pm, gives you 1/2 hr to get to your resort.
That's cutting it far too close. You're supposed to be at your resort, ready to board the DME 15 minutes before the departure time. Buses typically run every 20 minutes. If they just miss a bus, or a bus is late, they're screwed. Always allow at least 1 hour to get between two points if using WDW transportation, and 90 minutes is a safer option.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #25
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie711 View Post
That is cutting it WAY too close. We've had ME come early before.

We always plan on getting to the ME stop about 20-30 minutes before our pickup time. So in your situation, our plan would be:

5:30PM flight time means a 2:30PM ME pick up time
We would get to the ME stop at the resort at about 2PM
That means we would leave MK around 12:30 PM to allow us time to get our carryons from bell services and maybe grab a snack to eat while waiting for the bus.

As I was always taught...If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late and if you're late it's unacceptable (or in this case, you're screwed). I think it really applies to the ME bus.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much everyone! I will most definitely make sure to leave by 1 if we are flying. I guess I need to make up my mind this week about it for sure! Just thought it would be easier to fly with my mom and two small kids then drive the 8 hour trip.

No, this is not the only day we will be at MK thankfully. We will be going that Saturday all day too so it's not that big of a deal if we have to leave at 1:00 p.m. Like PP says, just do our favorite things and not try to do it all. I CANT WAIT!!!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
shoney
DIS Veteran

Just check your pick up time.

In Feb, our ME pick up time was 12:15 for a 4:00 flight. We were the first stop. It went to 3 additional resorts, so we didn't start heading to the airport until 1pm.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

They really make it very easy to fly to Disney. It's a lot easier than flying just about anywhere else for vacation, so it's a good first flight for you.

They should put something under your door the night before that explains when you're supposed to meet the bus, and I'm pretty sure it has information about Resort Airline Check-In (some airlines don't participate in this, so double check). If you don't get something by the night before you leave, make sure to check with the front desk, so they can get you one or tell you the information you need.
When you wake up in the morning, take your bags down (or have bell services do it) and either check them in with Resort Airline Check-In or leave them with the Bell Services desk. Carry ons can be left with Bell Services as well, so you don't have to lug them through the parks.

I agree with the others that you should plan on being at the bus stop on the park end at least an hour before the time listed on your ME sheet. Being the paranoid person that I am, I would probably plan on being done at the park by noon with a 5pm departure. This would give me enough time to get back to my hotel, get my bags from bell services, and get a bathroom break in.

I would plan on having pretty much everything packed the night before, so all I'd have to do is stuff my pajamas in my bag and get out to the parks by Rope Drop.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Me, I would leave no later than 3. You need to be at your resort, ready to go, by 4:15. Leaving at 3 leaves plenty of time for any traffic snarls, or a bus that doesn't show up at the park. It also leaves time for one last minute run to the resort gift shop, and one last refill of the mugs.
I would not agree with this timing as ME pickup is normally 3 hours prior to departure these days. So, if departure is 5:30 then ME pickup at their resort will probably be around 2:30. That being said I'd leave the park no later than 1:30 and probably more like 1:00. Travel time at Disney seems to take longer than anticipated, especially in the middle of the day when buses may not run quite a frequently as they do in the am and pm.

Just my .02

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
I would not agree with this timing as ME pickup is normally 3 hours prior to departure these days. So, if departure is 5:30 then ME pickup at their resort will probably be around 2:30. That being said I'd leave the park no later than 1:30 and probably more like 1:00. Travel time at Disney seems to take longer than anticipated, especially in the middle of the day when buses may not run quite a frequently as they do in the am and pm.

Just my .02
Yep, I've already said that was an oops! Think I'll go delete that post to prevent further confusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: