Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #46
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

WDW is the easiest place to drive I have ever been. Signage is great, and you can get an easy to read map from the resort or rental car company. Wheneve we have missed a turn (not often), we have come to another sign that pointed us in the right direction.

Staying at CBR, you can certainly use the bus transportation if you wish. but even if you are directionally challenged you will lose far more of your vacation time to the busses than you would to driving.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #47
mickeysgirl17
Wish I was at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
All this has made me believe that it wouldn't be a good idea for us to drive at Disney, which I had already expected. I have a general idea of where things are located, but I don't think DH does, and he always insists on driving. He expects me to navigate, then doesn't listen to anything I tell him.

I'm sure we'll try it at some point though, and see how it goes.
My ex always used to do the same thing. He would drive around WDW and I had to tell him where to go but then he went the way he wanted to anyway. Men and directions!!! lol
First trip December 2006 9 Days at Pop Century, January 2007 1 day trip to MK, May 2007 1 day trip to MK, August 24th Pirate and Princess Party, May 2008 DD's birthday at MK! December 9, 2008 mvmcp May 2010 4 days offsite DD's 7th birthday and baby's 1st trip! December 2012 6 days at Pop Century, Deluxe dp, September 2015 , First Cruise on Disney Dream 4 night bahamian
Me DD DS

"Keep a weather eye on the horizon"-Will Turner
mickeysgirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #48
Mrs. Bradbury
It will ALWAYS be the PeopleMover!

No one has brought up this, so I will. While I can drive around WDW without much trouble I choose not to because of the traffic. Call me crazy but those are some busy roads filled with people who don't know where they are going, and tons of buses and delivery trucks. To each his own, but for me, no thank you.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #49
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bradbury
No one has brought up this, so I will. While I can drive around WDW without much trouble I choose not to because of the traffic. Call me crazy but those are some busy roads filled with people who don't know where they are going, and tons of buses and delivery trucks. To each his own, but for me, no thank you.
The amount of traffic in disney is bad for some people, others, especially those of us in major metropolitan areas, find the traffic to be light. Try driving NJ route 4, then you will see traffic, even the locals try to avoid that road.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #50
Murron
Murron

On these very boards, there is a list of every WDW address -- resorts and parks. I loaded them all into my GPS. Yes I agree the signs are ok, but there are some spots that can get confusing. AK hotel vs park...Wilderness Lodge.etc. I've given my GPS a name...her name is Vera (feminine of Vero) and she is my backup to the signs. Works well for us!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #51
Murron
Murron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
The amount of traffic in disney is bad for some people, others, especially those of us in major metropolitan areas, find the traffic to be light. Try driving NJ route 4, then you will see traffic, even the locals try to avoid that road.
Love this....my DD is in Morristown and lord I can relate to NJ traffic!!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murron View Post
On these very boards, there is a list of every WDW address -- resorts and parks. I loaded them all into my GPS. Yes I agree the signs are ok, but there are some spots that can get confusing. AK hotel vs park...Wilderness Lodge.etc. I've given my GPS a name...her name is Vera (feminine of Vero) and she is my backup to the signs. Works well for us!
My GPS is named Ida after my mother. Helpful but constantly nagging me to turn here or turn there or go straight. I find that one especially annoying because I wasn't planning to turn until she told me too anyway. She got mad at me once for ignoring most of her directions and told me to turn Left into a swamp...NOW!

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!

Last edited by goofyernmost; 08-16-2012 at 02:32 PM.
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #53
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=gpeters93;45828470] I have lived my entire life within 100 miles of Chicago, where people know how to organize traffic. Dont get me started on the heat, or the pizza.

Now get off my lawn you troublemaker.[QUOTE]

I couldn't resist!!
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #54
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

we avoid driving around WDW at all costs. used to but now has became part of our vacation to relax get on ME at the air port and be done with it for two weeks.. traffic down ther eis horrendious
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #55
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
I'm from South Jersey and I find this accurate! LOL Having driven in the Wilmington area and Philly when I need to (and 295 around the Walt Whitman Bridge), I find driving at WDW relaxing. For me, I find that there is next to no traffic. We usually do rope drops and will either go back to the resort or park hop mid-day, but traffic is never bad at all. And this is coming from someone who lives in farm country! lol

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #56
mripirate
Earning My Ears

If you stay at wdw resorts, but drive your vehicle to parks, do you have to pay the parking fee?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #57
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mripirate View Post
If you stay at wdw resorts, but drive your vehicle to parks, do you have to pay the parking fee?
No. Parking is free to resort guests and AP holders.

Also, I always bring my GPS but only turn it on when I leave property.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #58
mripirate
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thx 4 the info

Last edited by mripirate; 08-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.
mripirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #59
mickeysgirl17
Wish I was at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murron View Post
Do you by any chance have the link to the thread?
First trip December 2006 9 Days at Pop Century, January 2007 1 day trip to MK, May 2007 1 day trip to MK, August 24th Pirate and Princess Party, May 2008 DD's birthday at MK! December 9, 2008 mvmcp May 2010 4 days offsite DD's 7th birthday and baby's 1st trip! December 2012 6 days at Pop Century, Deluxe dp, September 2015 , First Cruise on Disney Dream 4 night bahamian
Me DD DS

"Keep a weather eye on the horizon"-Will Turner
mickeysgirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #60
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We have driven to the parks for our last 3 trips, and find the signs around WDW property to be great for getting you where you need to go. We have stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which is nearby to CBR also and found all of the parks very easy and quick to get to. Because the parks don't have a physical address, we found our GPS took us to delivery or back entrances the one time we tried to us it, so we just rely on the signs to get us where we need to go! I thought we would miss using the Disney transportation, but I'm a total drive to the parks convert.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: