Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1051
Beka
Goes to 11
 
Beka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Best place would be from the Boardwalk for Illuminations, or the bridge between the BW area and Y&BC area. You would be able to see the high up fireworks from the program, but not any of the lower aspects of it.
This was taken from the walkway between the Swan & Dolphin. The view isn't much different from the Boardwalk, just the foreground changes.


Obviously, the view is a little better if you're higher up, but nothing substitutes being right there in EPCOT watching them!
__________________
Celebrating 10 years together, a Victoria & Albert's review



Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
_____________________________________________
Kyle & me DS DS Matches Booger
RIP, Papa. Thanks for introducing the love of Disney!
Beka is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #1052
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer
 
elainyaeq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Port Richey Florida
Posts: 79

Dolphin Stay Aug 10-12, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainyaeq View Post
we will be checking in at the Dolphin today! 8 hours and counting! Praying for good weather for the drive over and fun by the pool =)
We had a wonderful time at the Dolphin this past weekend. We needed at least one more day to just hang out by the pool(s) and take in the sun and play at the beach.

When we arrived Friday afternoon, they gave us a Resort view room, so to my surprise we received an upgrade from a limited view room without even asking! I'm guessing because the hotel was not fully booked at the time?
Also, we took advantage of the Valet service $20 plus tax, this was a huge convenience especially since grandma and grandpa were with us so we didn't have to worry about parking or lugging our bags up to the room. It's only $5 more a day and well worth it!

We stayed in 2053, although it's a lower floor room the view was great. It's in the East side, so very close to the shuttle boat to Epcot, Hollywood studios and the Boardwalk, but it is a good walk to the pool. Next time i'll be sure to ask for West wing room if it's available. Check in was a breeze, the room was clean and ready when we arrived.

We walked over the bridge to the Boardwalk, rather than by boat and had dinner at the ESPN restaurant where we watched the Bucs Pre-season and Rays games, Both our teams won! The food at ESPN was good and prices were decent. after dinner, our DD8 wanted her hair wrapped, we stopped at the Arcade and bought some ice cream. There were Epcot fireworks behind the ESPN and back buildings so we couldn't see those, they could be better seen from the Dance Hall -front entrance area of the Boardwalk.

We decided to take the shuttle boat back to the Dolphin and then went looking for the pool and found three different jacuzzi's. There was practically no one at the pool after 9:00. the pool technically closes at 9:00pm, slide closes and lifeguards are no longer on duty, but you can still swim just remember to bring your own towels if going after 9:00pm. There was also a movie scheduled by the beach/pool area, 'Madagascar' started at 8:30. i didn't see where a movie was scheduled on Saturday, so it may be selected nights for movies by the pool.

Saturday we took advantage of the free Shuttle buses to MK, the shuttle stop out front makes transportation so easy and convenient for Magic Kingdom. We also saw buses for Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach. The wait was not very long and we were dropped off right at the front of the MK park. Same goes when we came back around 4:00. It's nice to not have to worry about driving to and from or the parking.

It rained late afternoon when we got back from MK, so we opted to check out the Arcade then went out to dinner, The restaurants are probably good at the Hotel, but we were up for something else. When we came back from dinner the rain stopped and we headed to the Pool again. It was so nice to relax in the jacuzzi after a long day of walking at the park. We also could see the Epcot fireworks from the Grotto pool on Saturday night around 9.

Sunday morning DD8 was ready for more fun by the pool before check out and the Swan paddle boats! The slide opened at 10:00am and paddle boats at 11:00am. We headed over to the pool around 9:30am, and hung out until the paddle boats opened. i have to say during each of our visits to the pool(s)/beach area there was tons of lounge chairs available, and that was refreshing because some hotels in the area have limited outdoor seating and it can be hard to find a single chair without a towel on it. Not the case here, it was a relaxing fun time and we'll go back to the Dolphin again =)

hopefully this link works, here's some pictures
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...0IcOHDFo4aMWQN

Oh and the starbucks coffee was sooo good, i have a new favorite coffee now, better than DD!
__________________
Thanks,
Tammy

Last edited by elainyaeq; 08-13-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adding some pics,
elainyaeq is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #1053
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 3,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadalik View Post
So we will be at the Dolphin in 39 days for 2 nights pre-cruise...so excited! We have stayed at the Dolphin before, but it was 3 years ago and are so happy to be going back.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping somebody can answer:

1) Do they still have S'mores on the beach? We had them when we were there last time and it was one of our favorite memories...making s'mores with our kiddos, swinging in the hammock, and letting them play on the playground.

2) We went to Shula's a couple months ago for our anniversary and loved it! While we loved the entire meal, we were hoping that we could just get the tomato/mozz salad and the french onion soup to go? Does anyone know if we can do that? If we could get that while the kiddos ate burgers from The Fountain, all would be good in the world. LOL

3) If #2 is not possible, I know that Camp Dolphin for the kids is always available. Do they give a discount if you are eating at one of the signature restaurants, like Shula's?

4) We have family cruising with us that will be staying at an off-property hotel and they thought it would be nice to come and hang out Friday night at the hotel with us. Would they have to pay the full $15 for self-parking?

5) Is there a place IN the hotel (besides a room) where you can view Illuminations? I know you can see it from The Boardwalk area. What about if you walk to the back entrance of Epcot by the turnstiles, but don't enter the park? Is that a good view? Or are we just better off viewing it from The Boardwalk?

6) My DH wants to know if there are really rooms at the top of the "triangle"? I told him probably, but I'd ask here...someone is bound to know. What kind of room is up there?

7) We are bringing cereal and bananas for breakfast. I know that there is a sundries shop, but do they have a 1/2 gallon of milk that we could buy and put in the fridge in our room? And is the fridge cold enough to keep it cold?
I'll reply to number 6. We stayed up in the triangle in 2010, we had a deluxe alcove room. There were rooms on either side of the hall, but the hall was (as expected) very short. Left and right off the elevator with rooms on each side.
__________________
diskids2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1054
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,887

Welcome back, elainyeaq, and thanks for your great review and photos! I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin quite a few times, but I have never spent a day just enjoying the resort. Maybe I'll make time for that in December - after my annual pass expires and I have a non-park day here and there!
NancyIL is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1055
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL
Welcome back, elainyeaq, and thanks for your great review and photos! I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin quite a few times, but I have never spent a day just enjoying the resort. Maybe I'll make time for that in December - after my annual pass expires and I have a non-park day here and there!
We try to take one "resort day" in the middle of our stay to sleep in, have breakfast at Fresh, and enjoy the Grotto Pool area and Cabana Bar. It really is a great break when the crowds are a little hectic or the weather is very warm. This next trip will be in January, so I'm not sure if we will build in a day like our usual June trips. :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #1056
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996
 
ahutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Just down the street from the Ewing family!
Posts: 4,356

I'm so excited that DH and I will be back at Dolphin soon to celebrate our sweet 16th anniversary! I have read many pages, but still have a question that a DISfriend might be able to answer. I saw that there are two types of refillable mugs, one for cold and a different one for hot. In the first post it indicates the one for cold can't be used for coffee.

If you buy the one that is ok for hot, can it also be used for cold? I don't know that I can drink enough of one to justify a cup, but if I can use it for hot and cold it might make sense.


Also - has anyone ordered a cake or something for an anniversary? I would like to surprise DH but am not sure what options we might have at the resort.
__________________

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader

Last edited by ahutton; 08-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
ahutton is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #1057
onlyafigment
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17

Can someone explain how the "green" $5 food and beverage voucher works?
When can you collect it, daily? And where from?
And if housekeeping comes automatically every 4th day, do you skip getting a voucher that day?
onlyafigment is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #1058
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafigment View Post
Can someone explain how the "green" $5 food and beverage voucher works?
When can you collect it, daily? And where from?
And if housekeeping comes automatically every 4th day, do you skip getting a voucher that day?
You are supposed to get a card every day you don't have housekeeping, and it will be slipped under your door. I redeem mine at checkout for 500 Starwood points per card.
NancyIL is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #1059
bas71873
DIS Veteran
 
bas71873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,767

Can someone give me a little info about Christmas-time (first week of December) at the Dolphin. Planning a trip for December 2013 and really, REALLY considering the Dolphin because it's a heck of lot cheaper than BC. Does the Dophin decorate and are there any other activities or things holiday related not to miss at the S&D? Thanks.
__________________
Me41; DH40; DD11



US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #1060
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster
 
tuckerkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: nj shore-L.B.I
Posts: 751

[QUOTE=ahutton;45814021]I'm so excited that DH and I will be back at Dolphin soon to celebrate our sweet 16th anniversary! I have read many pages, but still have a question that a DISfriend might be able to answer. I saw that there are two types of refillable mugs, one for cold and a different one for hot. In the first post it indicates the one for cold can't be used for coffee.

If you buy the one that is ok for hot, can it also be used for cold? I don't know that I can drink enough of one to justify a cup, but if I can use it for hot and cold it might make sense.


The refillable mugs for hot are somewhat new. You CAN use the plastic one for coffee at picabo for filling up coffee. BUT if in the mornings you want to use the java bar and not do it yourself, then the metal coffee cup is for coffee here
__________________
tuckerkeys is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #1061
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996
 
ahutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Just down the street from the Ewing family!
Posts: 4,356

Wonderful, thanks! I am fine with going into Picabu, I love that place!
__________________

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
ahutton is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #1062
amberpi
DIS Veteran
 
amberpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadalik View Post
So we will be at the Dolphin in 39 days for 2 nights pre-cruise...so excited! We have stayed at the Dolphin before, but it was 3 years ago and are so happy to be going back.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping somebody can answer:

1) Do they still have S'mores on the beach? We had them when we were there last time and it was one of our favorite memories...making s'mores with our kiddos, swinging in the hammock, and letting them play on the playground.

2) We went to Shula's a couple months ago for our anniversary and loved it! While we loved the entire meal, we were hoping that we could just get the tomato/mozz salad and the french onion soup to go? Does anyone know if we can do that? If we could get that while the kiddos ate burgers from The Fountain, all would be good in the world. LOL

3) If #2 is not possible, I know that Camp Dolphin for the kids is always available. Do they give a discount if you are eating at one of the signature restaurants, like Shula's?

4) We have family cruising with us that will be staying at an off-property hotel and they thought it would be nice to come and hang out Friday night at the hotel with us. Would they have to pay the full $15 for self-parking?

5) Is there a place IN the hotel (besides a room) where you can view Illuminations? I know you can see it from The Boardwalk area. What about if you walk to the back entrance of Epcot by the turnstiles, but don't enter the park? Is that a good view? Or are we just better off viewing it from The Boardwalk?

6) My DH wants to know if there are really rooms at the top of the "triangle"? I told him probably, but I'd ask here...someone is bound to know. What kind of room is up there?

7) We are bringing cereal and bananas for breakfast. I know that there is a sundries shop, but do they have a 1/2 gallon of milk that we could buy and put in the fridge in our room? And is the fridge cold enough to keep it cold?
There are suites at the very top of the pyramid. We got upgraded there in 2010. The view of the shell fountain was freaking amazing.

Yes, they have milk and the fridge will definitely keep it cold.

Enjoy!
amberpi is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #1063
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
Can someone give me a little info about Christmas-time (first week of December) at the Dolphin. Planning a trip for December 2013 and really, REALLY considering the Dolphin because it's a heck of lot cheaper than BC. Does the Dophin decorate and are there any other activities or things holiday related not to miss at the S&D? Thanks.
Both the Swan and Dolphin decorate for Christmas. The Dolphin has a beautiful tree in the lobby, and the Swan has a lovely scene with Santa filling the stockings by the fireplace - done in chocolate! I'm sure Dan Murphy can pull up some of those photos for you.

There are holiday activities for kids, but I don't recall when in December they begin. They may be only on the weekends.
NancyIL is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #1064
Dan Murphy
We are family.
 
Dan Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 78,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahutton View Post
I'm so excited that DH and I will be back at Dolphin soon to celebrate our sweet 16th anniversary! I have read many pages, but still have a question that a DISfriend might be able to answer. I saw that there are two types of refillable mugs, one for cold and a different one for hot. In the first post it indicates the one for cold can't be used for coffee.

If you buy the one that is ok for hot, can it also be used for cold? I don't know that I can drink enough of one to justify a cup, but if I can use it for hot and cold it might make sense.


Also - has anyone ordered a cake or something for an anniversary? I would like to surprise DH but am not sure what options we might have at the resort.
Nice to see you ahutton.

You can order just about anything from the S/D. They do have a wonderful in-house bake shop. You can use this once registered, or phone.

http://www.swandolphinconcierge.com/public/login.cfm



Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
Can someone give me a little info about Christmas-time (first week of December) at the Dolphin. Planning a trip for December 2013 and really, REALLY considering the Dolphin because it's a heck of lot cheaper than BC. Does the Dophin decorate and are there any other activities or things holiday related not to miss at the S&D? Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCOtiHKpqs


http://www.santasfavoriteresort.com/

If you wanted to sort through some picture threads, I know I have a lot in here......

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=815678
__________________
Dan-'Let's Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand'--We are Family

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net







.
Dan Murphy is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #1065
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!
 
jnfr2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 1,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Both the Swan and Dolphin decorate for Christmas. The Dolphin has a beautiful tree in the lobby, and the Swan has a lovely scene with Santa filling the stockings by the fireplace - done in chocolate! I'm sure Dan Murphy can pull up some of those photos for you.

There are holiday activities for kids, but I don't recall when in December they begin. They may be only on the weekends.
I have to add that they scent both hotels with scent of Gingerbread!
__________________
If you can dream it, you can do it - Horizons
Been there, done that since 1979 and will do it again at Disney!!!

jnfr2424 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: