Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
msgrimm23
Well, thanks for blowing it my way

lovethattink: we will do the meal plan at disney too. i looked at the hotel we stayed at last year and it was almost 500 dollars to stay in orlando that was with an employee discount we had to factor in the food while staying off site.
after we are done at celebration we can go to the parks so he kinda sold me on it
carbeach 2010 aug pop 2008 dec pop 2007 july (engaged at mk) 2007 April PoP 2006 May pop 2005-2006 Dec Jan Pop July 2005 Pop 2004-2005 All star music 2003-2004 Dec 2002, Dec Dec Jan 2001 Caribean beach and cruise 2000 Old key west 1999 Old key west 1998 All star spots 1997 Boardwalk 1995 Old key west 1993 grad night 1992 Grand floridian March 1992,1991 Grandma's house 1990 Grandma's house 1989 Grandma's house,1987 grandma's 1986 grandma's 1980 time share that was located down by market place, 1978
Disney Cast Member 1996-2000
msgrimm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miralys View Post
This sounds like my closet! You must love your spouse a lot to liquidate all of that. How did you get rid of it all? I have a bunch of X-Files and Star Trek stuff to get rid of. You'll have to pry the SW stuff out of my cold dead hands though!
This is how I downsized and changed my focus in collecting habits because in a sense I was at a point my life in which life events changed my outlook in collecting.

Prior to 2006 I was a huge 3 ĺ collector. I was basically a carded/boxed collector but would buy loose on occasion because I had these dreams of doing kick *** dioramas and such. If you click on my profile on rebel scum and click the link you can see the collection at close to its 3 ĺ height. I was impressed by what I had done since I started collecting in 1999.

In early 2006 I learned we were going to be parents to our 2nd child. Fast forward about two months later on Sunday morning my wife wakes up to discover she is lightly bleeding. We call the on call doctor to ask what we should do and they told us to come in 1st thing Monday morning to have a sonogram done. We thought she had a miscarriage and that perhaps was the saddest and longest Sunday of our lives.

So we go in the next day and come to discover that everything was alright and that there was a second heartbeat detected. We were having twins. So our sadness quickly turned to happiness.

Well I started to cut back on my collecting because of the addition of two more children on top of the one we already had. I reduced my collecting trips. I was going out every Saturday morning at 4 am with a friend of mine to hit a bunch of stores. Gas prices were making their way into record territory and it was hard to justify the gas expense as the return on finding new stuff wasnít paying off. I wouldnít be able to do this with twin babies needing the attention that they would need so it was good to get into the habit before they were born.

I also had to curve my buy everything/anything that had Star Wars on it. That was a real challenge as it was almost a compulsion to buy buy buy all that was Star Wars.

But at this point I didnít want to sell my collection.

Another factor was that my wife hated my 3 ĺ collecting because she said my space looked like a warehouse and I was spending too much money on it. She was right. I was. So she was somewhat pleased to see I was starting to change my habit.

Well the babies are born premature about 1 Ĺ months early so we spent out time split between the hospital and with our oldest daughter who was 3. During this time and even a little after they came home I wasnít buying anything.

Fast forward to early 2007 and the Saga carded figures were just coming out and I couldnít keep up. I didnít have the time to hunt and to be honest with you I remember adding the Saga Vader (Hoth version) and I remember saying, ďWhat the hell am I doing?Ē. I already had umpteen Vaderís in my collection and it looked no different than the carded Vaderís I already owned.

The thrill was gone. I decided it was time to sell.

I put aside some items for my kids to open and play with when they got older. Mostly PotF2 figures which I knew wouldnít be worth selling for there is no value in those figures in the secondary market along with some other items.

When I was ready to sell I first offered local collectors first dibs. Not so much out of consideration but out of practicality. I didnít have to ship anything.

I than started with the big items. Ship and playsets. I listed them individually on eBay and they sold for pretty much MSRP or a bit more. I also sold off my store displays. The ones I didnít sell I threw out. I moved on to miscellaneous boxed items that I thought has value (Convention exclusives, legos, display pieces, action fleet, etc). I than did lots of clones, aliens, Jabbaís palace, vintage figures, etc. I moved on to individual figures that had value and than lots of figures by line.

I didnít sell my Star Wars books, comics or Koto pieces and I kept a few display pieces.

It took me a little less than 3 years to wrap it all up. I would get burned out on occasion from eBay and classifieds so I took a month break here and there. Plus I hated wasting my entire lunch hour at the ever so slow post office.

I didnít stop collecting though. The money was helpful while we were done to one income but I still enjoy Star Wars and collecting. So for the last three years I had become a Gentle Giant collector. I ended up buying a ton of GG on the cheap since the market and economy has really made it a buyers market. I donít pay retail and I invested in a bunch of display cabinets from IKEA so I can properly show off my stuff.

I remember the hardest thing with stopping 3 ĺ was the urge to not buy. The time that sticks out in my head was I was in Target and there was this battle pack with Snow Bunny Padme, and those robots she fought on Illum. I remember picking it up because it was marked down to $5. I walked around the store for 30 minutes buying other stuff I had come in for and said to myself, ďNo. I donít need thisĒ and just put it back.

I can easily walk into Target now and still like looking at what Hasbro is doing but I donít ever feel like Iím missing out. I donít miss going to Walmart at all. I go to Walmart maybe once a month. Now that feels good.

Even at Celebration 5 me and my buddy, who use to be a 3 ĺ collector but sold it all and kept almost nothing from a massive collection and is now solely a video game/arcade cabinet collector, barley spent anytime in the Hasbro section.

I donít have that urge anymore and to be honest with you even if we didnít have twins Iím pretty sure I wouldnít be collecting 3 ĺ figures as there is just too much to keep up with. Plus itís expensive compared to 2006/2007.

I do have to keep to a budget that it is a real challenge at times because there are sometimes so many great deals that I want to buy everything at one with GG.

I am very happy with my current collection as I love the way it display and it doesnít feel cluttered.

Past Disney Trips
-June 1989: Hotel Royal Plaza
-July 1989: One day Trip to MK from Port Richie
-August 1989: Holiday Inn (International Drive)
-July 1990: Swan
-June 1993: Port Orleans
-June 1994: Port Orleans
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2011: One Week at All Star Music
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-February 2013: Art of Animation
CaptainAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
The droid room sound very cool!
Speaking of an artist alley, there is an AMAZING giclee of Hans Solo at the Art of Disney. It keeps calling our name, lol.

The kid's room and crafts sound right down ds's alley. I'm assuming there are additional fees or were they included?

Does a published or online program guide become available before the convention of all the events?
I'll have to check out that giclee at Art of Disney. Thanks.

They release a pdf of the programing before the Celebration from what I remember. I remember planning out what panels and stuff I wanted to see.

The kids room was included with the price of the badge (ticket).

Quote:
It all sounds like so much fun! Star Tours is awesome!! So far, I've been on it 3 times. I love what they've done to the queue and the ride experience! I've beaten all odds, we have had the same ending all 3 times. But each of our beginnings were different! Sounds like you will be staying at Disney close to the same time as us.
I have read that there are tons of combos to how one can experience the new Star Tours. I think the endings have the least amount of combos overall.

We are going at the end of the month. Can't wait!

Quote:
I keep re-thinking our options. Til I add in the $20 a day for parking at the Hilton and the walking, I wonder if it would be that inconvenient to stay at Disney and drive to the convention center?
We drove from our hotel off of I-Drive to the convention for the two days me and my buddy attened. It was easy in an easy out with plenty of parking to be had. It actuslly worked out because I would just walk out to my car with my new collectables ans throw them in trunk. Saved me the hassle of dragging them all around. I think parking was $10-$12. It was not $20 at the last Celebration.

Past Disney Trips
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #19
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAlex View Post
I'll have to check out that giclee at Art of Disney. Thanks.

They release a pdf of the programing before the Celebration from what I remember. I remember planning out what panels and stuff I wanted to see.

The kids room was included with the price of the badge (ticket).

I have read that there are tons of combos to how one can experience the new Star Tours. I think the endings have the least amount of combos overall.

We are going at the end of the month. Can't wait!

We drove from our hotel off of I-Drive to the convention for the two days me and my buddy attened. It was easy in an easy out with plenty of parking to be had. It actuslly worked out because I would just walk out to my car with my new collectables ans throw them in trunk. Saved me the hassle of dragging them all around. I think parking was $10-$12. It was not $20 at the last Celebration.
Thanks for the info! Next time I'm at Epcot I'll take a pic of the giclee and post it. Having a car at the convention center does sound handy. The $20 is how much the Orlando Hilton charges their guests to park. So to stay at the Hilton we have to budget $20/day for parking + the $10-$12 for the convention center.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

Oh I see where you got the $20 figure from. That stinks that they charge for parking at the hotel. It's like the $20 fee I paid per day at the Mirage in Vegas when I was there at the start of the summer.

A money grab is what it is (in my best D.V.D. bad English accent)

Past Disney Trips
Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
tigerbelly
Mouseketeer

We are attending with our 3 and 6 year old boys! So excited. Doing the convention 2 days and Disney 2 days. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. You never know with kids.
We attended C3 in Inndy. My husband is a droid builder and it was a lot of fun. He has since built his second droid but this one has to stay home since we are flying.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbelly View Post
We are attending with our 3 and 6 year old boys! So excited. Doing the convention 2 days and Disney 2 days. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. You never know with kids.
We attended C3 in Inndy. My husband is a droid builder and it was a lot of fun. He has since built his second droid but this one has to stay home since we are flying.
Very cool that your husband is a droid builder!

Any tips for the convention with kids?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I'm joining your thread. Need to go check out the rebelscum site. It's almost here.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
jmskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
tigerbelly
Mouseketeer

No tips from me! C3 was before we had children. In fact this is our first trip anywhere with them other than local fairs. I'm pretty nervous. Hoping the children's room keeps their attention. I'm glad we chose a nearby hotel so that we can hop the trolley back for midday breaks. I think that I will be packing snacks and a lunch for them because they are always hungry and I'm not sure what the food situation will be like. We are planning a delivery from Garden Grocers.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Jennifer S
DIS Cast Member
Has the best Goldendoodle in the world!

My DH and DS12 are going the first day. My older son doesnt want to go so I am staying back with him.

wonder what there is for kids too. How crowded does it get?

we are doing 4 days at Disney and a week at Cocoa Beach.

This is our first SWC. my son is so excited!!

Jennifer S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

There is so much for kids to do. Just exploring the merchandise area and seeing everyone dressed up kept this big kid entertained.

My son had a great time, too.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
jmskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbelly View Post
No tips from me! C3 was before we had children. In fact this is our first trip anywhere with them other than local fairs. I'm pretty nervous. Hoping the children's room keeps their attention. I'm glad we chose a nearby hotel so that we can hop the trolley back for midday breaks. I think that I will be packing snacks and a lunch for them because they are always hungry and I'm not sure what the food situation will be like. We are planning a delivery from Garden Grocers.
Someone at SWW told me that he ate lunch with Jake Lloyd in the food court at CV. So there is a food court there. Everyone else said to pack snacks in a back pack.

I cancelled our resies at Hilton Orlando, so if we leave and come back we will have to pay for parking again from what I understand. You were smart to get a nearby hotel that has transporation to and from the convention center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer S View Post
My DH and DS12 are going the first day. My older son doesnt want to go so I am staying back with him.

wonder what there is for kids too. How crowded does it get?

we are doing 4 days at Disney and a week at Cocoa Beach.

This is our first SWC. my son is so excited!!
We are excited too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
There is so much for kids to do. Just exploring the merchandise area and seeing everyone dressed up kept this big kid entertained.

My son had a great time, too.
Can't wait!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
guyver71
Earning My Ears

so jealous wish I could go !!
guyver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I'm going to Star Wars Celebration. It's my first time. I'm looking forward to it. I've already planned my days and plan to spend some time at the Disney Parks as well. I'm defintely going to hit all the Disney panels and Carrie Fisher's.

I love Star Wars and cannot wait for next week. I'm staying at a non Disney hotel. But I'm happy with the rate which was cheaper than the Disney values
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote