Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #46
usasoccer10
Earning My Ears
 
usasoccer10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7

first 5k

I will be running in my first 5k ever at disney during the 10-miler weekend. I am very excited to be running. I have been running 5ks now for about 3 weeks. I feel like im prepared for this race but being that it is my first time I'm not sure what to expect. Right now im averaging around a 12 min mile. I am happy with that for never running before, but if anyone has any tips that would be helpful it would greatly be appreciated. I will be running this race alone so im a little nervous about that. I will be staying at Art of Animation and does anyone know if I will be able to cross the bridge from AoA to Pop to get a bus to the ESPN complex? Lastly I know that disney usually has characters out during the race, do they also have photographers there to take your pics. If they do how do you get the pics of you and the characters. Do they give you the photopass cards? Any information for this first timer would greatly be appreciated.
usasoccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #47
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by usasoccer10 View Post
I will be running in my first 5k ever at disney during the 10-miler weekend. I am very excited to be running. I have been running 5ks now for about 3 weeks. I feel like im prepared for this race but being that it is my first time I'm not sure what to expect. Right now im averaging around a 12 min mile. I am happy with that for never running before, but if anyone has any tips that would be helpful it would greatly be appreciated. I will be running this race alone so im a little nervous about that. I will be staying at Art of Animation and does anyone know if I will be able to cross the bridge from AoA to Pop to get a bus to the ESPN complex? Lastly I know that disney usually has characters out during the race, do they also have photographers there to take your pics. If they do how do you get the pics of you and the characters. Do they give you the photopass cards? Any information for this first timer would greatly be appreciated.
Congrats on your first race!

Don't be nervous about it. Especially the 'being alone' part. You'll be there with us!

I don't know that being able to get to Pop is going to help you. Neither Pop nor Art of A are host resorts, so neither will have transport to ESPN WWoS for the race.

There will probably be photographers out with most if not all of the character ops during the 5K. There should also be a character handler. The handler will take a photo with your camera/phone while the photographer snaps the professional photo. They match your bib number to identify the photos. They are available for purchase, through a third party company, Brighthouse, much like a photopass. You can purchase individual pictures or the CD with all of them. The CD runs about $99.
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #48
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer
 
iheartmickey1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Carolina SOON! ...currently Idaho
Posts: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by usasoccer10 View Post
I will be running in my first 5k ever at disney during the 10-miler weekend. I am very excited to be running. I have been running 5ks now for about 3 weeks. I feel like im prepared for this race but being that it is my first time I'm not sure what to expect. Right now im averaging around a 12 min mile. I am happy with that for never running before, but if anyone has any tips that would be helpful it would greatly be appreciated. I will be running this race alone so im a little nervous about that. I will be staying at Art of Animation and does anyone know if I will be able to cross the bridge from AoA to Pop to get a bus to the ESPN complex? Lastly I know that disney usually has characters out during the race, do they also have photographers there to take your pics. If they do how do you get the pics of you and the characters. Do they give you the photopass cards? Any information for this first timer would greatly be appreciated.
My first race too! And I'm running alone too! I'm staying at Pop, but from what I understand, there wont be transportation to WWoS from Pop since it's not a Host resort- that we'd have to take a taxi. I was wondering about the photo ops with characters too...
__________________




*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #49
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

If past 5K's have set a precedent, there will be characters (usually the host of the race) available for pictures before and shortly after the race. There will also be photo ops with characters along the race course.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the characters in their Halloween costumes. Maybe even a villain or two?!?!?
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
usasoccer10
Earning My Ears
 
usasoccer10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7

thank you for the information about the characters. I will make sure I take the time and stop during the race, ill also make sure to have my camera with me. Doesn anyone know when they will release the map of the course so I have an idea of what I will be getting ready for.
usasoccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #51
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by usasoccer10 View Post
thank you for the information about the characters. I will make sure I take the time and stop during the race, ill also make sure to have my camera with me. Doesn anyone know when they will release the map of the course so I have an idea of what I will be getting ready for.
The final course route for the 5K should be about about a month before the race. The absolute final one will be on a big foam core board at the expo and in the literature.
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
Beamer97
Mouseketeer
 
Beamer97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 163

How many of you are dressing up?
__________________
POR SEPT 2007
POR SEPT 2012
Beamer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #53
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer
 
iheartmickey1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Carolina SOON! ...currently Idaho
Posts: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer97 View Post
How many of you are dressing up?
I am!! Anyone else??
__________________




*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #54
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer97 View Post
How many of you are dressing up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
I am!! Anyone else??
I may recycle Peter Pan from the 2012 Tink Half.
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #55
Beamer97
Mouseketeer
 
Beamer97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 163

I will be dressed up with my daughter as well .
__________________
POR SEPT 2007
POR SEPT 2012
Beamer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #56
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 805

What if we're staying offsite and other questions?

Hi everyone.

I mostly lurk but was around a couple of years ago when I won the BL summer challenge. The good news is that although I didn't enter any more challenges, I did keep going. It was slow for while but I kicked it into gear this summer am now at 94 pounds lost (from 257 to 163 - I'm 5'4). 100 pounds is amazingly getting really close and I hope to hit that within the next month. As a reward for my hard work, my husband has pretty much promised me a weekend anywhere. I've always wanted to do a Disney race and this one is perfect timing.

Unfortunately, we actually only have US/IOA annual passes right now and would probably just stay over there that weekend (we actually really enjoy it). Would is be a problem getting to the WWOS? The race starts at 7:30 and we could leave the hotel as early as we need to. I actually walk every day from 4 to 5:30 so getting up early is not an issue.

Also, I couldn't find anything about spectators. This is somewhat of a big deal (not the race as much as the weight) and I would love for my husband and teen to be able to see me cross the finish line. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Last question - how does the sweeping work? I walk a 10K every day and I timed myself this morning. It was 94 minutes. That cuts it very close but I admittedly was not going as fast as I could the whole time. Tomorrow, I'm going to try going faster on purpose. Running is out for me due to a lingering knee issue from a car accident 20 years ago. As long as I don't run, I'm fine (and it's much better these days with the weight gone). I'm in great shape right now - I walk at least those six miles every day and on weekends my walks are more like 8 miles. I also bike home from work most days and that's another seven miles. So the 5K distance itself won't be a problem. I just don't want to get swept.
__________________
----MB and family

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW



disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #57
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2one View Post
Hi everyone.

I mostly lurk but was around a couple of years ago when I won the BL summer challenge. The good news is that although I didn't enter any more challenges, I did keep going. It was slow for while but I kicked it into gear this summer am now at 94 pounds lost (from 257 to 163 - I'm 5'4). 100 pounds is amazingly getting really close and I hope to hit that within the next month. As a reward for my hard work, my husband has pretty much promised me a weekend anywhere. I've always wanted to do a Disney race and this one is perfect timing.

Unfortunately, we actually only have US/IOA annual passes right now and would probably just stay over there that weekend (we actually really enjoy it). Would is be a problem getting to the WWOS? The race starts at 7:30 and we could leave the hotel as early as we need to. I actually walk every day from 4 to 5:30 so getting up early is not an issue.

Also, I couldn't find anything about spectators. This is somewhat of a big deal (not the race as much as the weight) and I would love for my husband and teen to be able to see me cross the finish line. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Last question - how does the sweeping work? I walk a 10K every day and I timed myself this morning. It was 94 minutes. That cuts it very close but I admittedly was not going as fast as I could the whole time. Tomorrow, I'm going to try going faster on purpose. Running is out for me due to a lingering knee issue from a car accident 20 years ago. As long as I don't run, I'm fine (and it's much better these days with the weight gone). I'm in great shape right now - I walk at least those six miles every day and on weekends my walks are more like 8 miles. I also bike home from work most days and that's another seven miles. So the 5K distance itself won't be a problem. I just don't want to get swept.
Welcome back and a huge congratulations on your accomplishment!!!

I've made it a point to do the 5K that is paired with the Half Marathon for every runDisney race that I have done. I adore the 5K. They are fun, friendly, and oh so magical.

From my experiences, let me give a shot at answering your questions:
1) Getting to ESPN Wide World of Sports from I-4 is not difficult nor should it be difficult to park, there are expansive parking lots. If the race starts at 7:30, they will say everyone needs to be there by 6:30. There is a DJ and usually the race host characters are available for a photo op. Your spectators will be able to hang out with you until you get into the starting chute/corral. They can dance/warm-up their heart rates and cheer with you before the start. Keep in mind if you haven't already picked up your bib for the race, you can do it the morning of the 5K (your t-shirt you have to come back to the expo for). That is a great way to get a feel for where ESPN is, by going to the expo on Friday, but it may not be possible and you may not want to take the time away from US/IoA.

2) The previous 5K's have had open and accessible Start and Finish areas. When the course was through one of the parks, spectators were not allowed in. Not sure how they will handle it with the course being at WWoS. So yes, your husband and teen will be able to cheer you off to a great, fun 5K and be there to cheer you to a triumphal finish.

3) Sweeping for runDisney 5K's is extrememly lax. It happens, but it is not as strictly enforced as it is during a half or full marathon. Between photo ops and potty breaks (One might think I could last a whole hour without having to tinkle--no such luck) I usually finish in about an hour. I don't run the 5K. Sometimes I may jog a little, but to me the 5K is about having fun and enjoying where you are.

Hope that helps! See you in a few weeks!!!
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #58
runnergirl9
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1

me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usasoccer10 View Post
I will be running in my first 5k ever at disney during the 10-miler weekend. I am very excited to be running. I have been running 5ks now for about 3 weeks. I feel like im prepared for this race but being that it is my first time I'm not sure what to expect. Right now im averaging around a 12 min mile. I am happy with that for never running before, but if anyone has any tips that would be helpful it would greatly be appreciated. I will be running this race alone so im a little nervous about that. I will be staying at Art of Animation and does anyone know if I will be able to cross the bridge from AoA to Pop to get a bus to the ESPN complex? Lastly I know that disney usually has characters out during the race, do they also have photographers there to take your pics. If they do how do you get the pics of you and the characters. Do they give you the photopass cards? Any information for this first timer would greatly be appreciated.
This is my first Disney race, and I'm also running alone!

I'm searching this board because I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get there, or where I should even stay since I plan on going to the race alone too. I'm a little nervous figuring out this new thing all on my own, but I'd feel guilty if I made someone wake up early and just hang out and wait for me while I run.

As for times, I don't know how Disney races are because I think they divide us up by times, but for other races I've done, my time has been much slower because I always get stuck and can't pass people (not that I'm a very fast runner anyway so it never really mattered much). 12 mins is a great time, especially for just starting to run!
runnergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #59
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer
 
iheartmickey1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Carolina SOON! ...currently Idaho
Posts: 423

anyone else leaving from Pop Century for the 5k?
__________________




*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #60
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl9 View Post
This is my first Disney race, and I'm also running alone!

I'm searching this board because I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get there, or where I should even stay since I plan on going to the race alone too. I'm a little nervous figuring out this new thing all on my own, but I'd feel guilty if I made someone wake up early and just hang out and wait for me while I run.

As for times, I don't know how Disney races are because I think they divide us up by times, but for other races I've done, my time has been much slower because I always get stuck and can't pass people (not that I'm a very fast runner anyway so it never really mattered much). 12 mins is a great time, especially for just starting to run!
Congrats on signing up for your first Disney race!!

There are three easy ways to get to the race:
1) Stay at a host resort (All Stars, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, Yacht & Beach Clubs and Boardwalk) and take the event transportation.
2) Stay wherever you'd like, on or off property, and drive a vehicle.
3) Take a taxi from wherever you're staying.

Depending upon your vacation plans one of those choices may be better than the others.
For me, it is option #2. I am staying at Saratoga Springs and renting a car for the weekend.

As for dividing us up, Disney does pacing groups for 5K's on the honor system. They have signs designating ">7 min mile", "7-9 min mile", "9-11 min mile" etc. The last two signs usually designate "Walkers" and "Strollers" if applicable.
__________________
Me
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.