Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
limace
DIS Veteran

I'm 5'1" and sat in the front when we were there this week. It was very uncomfortable. I felt banged around and could never really brace myself adequately. To be fair, though, my girls rode it three times in a row and loved it. Ah, youth!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Matterhorn just ain't the same. I agree the new sleds have made the ride less desirable.
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
originalkk
Mouseketeer

We're from the UK and rode the Matterhorn for the first time a couple of years ago. Matterhorn became my favourite ride in the park. The old sleds in which you sat low, but were reasonably open, gave a sense of speed and you could move yourself in the sleds to get comfortable during the turns.

We rode again a few weeks ago. The new sleds are much more cramped and enclosing, and it's hard to get comfortable, whilst the whole ride seems much slower than before. It really does seem to have lost the excitement of a fast bob-sled ride.

I still like the ride, but it really isn't what it was.
originalkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
kevdo
Kevin Crossman

Though I am not a fan of the change I felt they were less uncomfortable than I was fearing, and they're less uncomfortable than the seats at Space Mountain in MK (which also went from 2+2 to 1+1+1).
Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
MrLincoln
Daring To Do My Duty As I Understand It

I must be the only person who likes the new bobsleds better.

I have ridden them three times now. My feet fit perfectly in the stirrups, regardless of which seat I take. If your back is flush against the back of the seat, you'll find that this is a far less bumpy ride than what it was before.

I understand that the ride seems slow...however, this really wasn't that fast of a coaster to begin with. The sudden turns make it much more exciting than it used to be. In fact, at night, the car seems to fly around the tracks, especially the Tomorrowland side.

Two thumbs up to the new Matterhorn from me.
MrLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #36
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLincoln View Post
I must be the only person who likes the new bobsleds better.

I have ridden them three times now. My feet fit perfectly in the stirrups, regardless of which seat I take. If your back is flush against the back of the seat, you'll find that this is a far less bumpy ride than what it was before.

I understand that the ride seems slow...however, this really wasn't that fast of a coaster to begin with. The sudden turns make it much more exciting than it used to be. In fact, at night, the car seems to fly around the tracks, especially the Tomorrowland side.

Two thumbs up to the new Matterhorn from me.
I wonder if people are used to bracing themselves in the old bobsleds and are making it more uncomfortable than it should be?

I have a hard time believing that Disney didn't do a ton of research on the change.

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #37
MrLincoln
Daring To Do My Duty As I Understand It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyS View Post
I wonder if people are used to bracing themselves in the old bobsleds and are making it more uncomfortable than it should be?
I'm thinking that too Lizzy. MrsLincoln still says she can't fit right into the sled and it bumps her all over the place.

It may seem like a funny angle to sit at first, but keep your back flush with the seat and your feet wide and straight up tucked in both corners of the seat and you should have a nice, snug ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyS
I have a hard time believing that Disney didn't do a ton of research on the change.
Not all Disney upgrades have proven worth the change. Look no further than Rocket Rods.

And YMMV on the bobsleds too. I just remember having horrible knee and back problems getting off the old Matterhorn; it is my pleasure to report no such problems after this summer.
MrLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #38
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

The best part of the new Matterhorn is single rider. I found the tomorrowland side to be less rough but they really need to add padding to the seat, back & sides of the ride.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #39
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLincoln View Post
I'm thinking that too Lizzy. MrsLincoln still says she can't fit right into the sled and it bumps her all over the place.

It may seem like a funny angle to sit at first, but keep your back flush with the seat and your feet wide and straight up tucked in both corners of the seat and you should have a nice, snug ride.

Not all Disney upgrades have proven worth the change. Look no further than Rocket Rods.

And YMMV on the bobsleds too. I just remember having horrible knee and back problems getting off the old Matterhorn; it is my pleasure to report no such problems after this summer.
Good point regarding Rocket Rods. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned!

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #40
spellhex
Mouseketeer

I thought the sleds were fine, and much smoother than what I remembered the old ones to be. I didn't feel cramped or awkward at all, and I'm 5'7. The only thing that was weird were the hand holds that were positioned awkwardly close to your seat, but I'm the kind who keeps their hands in the air the entire time so it wasn't a huge problem.

I honestly love that it's 1-1-1 now - we're a family of five and always had to have one person ride alone, and this way we're all together. I should add that nobody wanted to do the buddy seats; I have two teenage brothers who would rather ride it's a small world endlessly than buddy up with anyone.

I do admit that my parents thought it was really rough, but like I said, my brothers and I had no problems with it.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #41
Zzizzy
Disney Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
The best part of the new Matterhorn is single rider...
Oh, that's another thing. If you had a good experience using single rider here I congratulate you. I'm afraid my experience was not the same.

The first time I rode was on a Saturday afternoon. I forgot that they had a single rider line and so I was in the regular line. Wait time was about 25 minutes with the queue around the far back of the mountain, like it normally is most of the time.

After exiting I got right back in line, but this time used the single rider line. Total wait time was a little over 20 minutes! Single rider made very little difference at all.

As I was waiting, I watched how single rider was being utilized. As you know, the new "trains" are made up of 2 cars with 3 seats each for a total of 6 riders per train. Parties are placed into the loading queue in combinations that make up 6, but they often break your party between the 2 cars. To most guests this isn't obvious until you board and I didn't see anyone who had a problem with it anyway.

So that means that the only time they use a single rider is if they get a total of 5 in a train. Most of the time if they got a party of 3, they would ask for another party of 3 from farther back in the regular line. Many times, 3 groups of 2 were seated in the same train, with the middle pair being divided between the cars.

This means that it takes a very long time before a combination of 5 had to be used and they could fill it with a single rider. In fact, the single rider line was getting so long that at one point they put 4 single riders on a single train just to clear the queue a bit.

But for the most part, the single rider line did not get you boarded quicker and I can see where it has the potential to be slower than the regular queue. Perhaps if they adjust how they are using the single rider queue it will balance out, but right now I would not use the single rider queue.

We'll have to keep our eye on this although because of the other issues mentioned here I doubt I'll be riding much.

Podcast Cruise 3.0 - June 2012
DISapalooza 2011 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - December 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - September 2011
D23 Expo 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2010
Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic - July 2010
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - September 2009
D23 Expo 2009
Zzizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
caltex
Earning My Ears

I'm an average sized guy - 5'9", 170 lb - and I found sitting in the new matterhorn uncomfortable. There is little leg room (can't imagine if you are a tall person) and it's a jerky ride. Funny, that's not how I remembered it when I last rode it 20 yrs ago. The ride was so rough my kids did not want to ride it again and they are coaster junkies.
caltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #43
rokstedy
Mouseketeer

I wonder if everyone forgot how uncomfortable the ride was to before the refurb. The track was rough, and the seats equally uncomfortable. The only difference that I noted was that the seats were more cramped for taller guests. But I stopped noticing that after my 3rd or 4th ride.
rokstedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #44
Tinkerbelle's Mom
Will clean houses for tags!

Just got back from an evening at DL with my dd who insisted on riding again.

This time I insisted on having a middle or back seat. I ended up in the last seat - which I prefer over the front seat of either car. I didn't love it like I used to but it was better.

I am short, 5 feet 2 inches (on a good day, lol) and could not imagine anyone much taller than me being able to sit comfortably in the front. The middle and back seats have a "little more" leg room.

Still I am not as happy with this ride as I was before the change. I have at least found a way to endure it better since it is dds favorite ride.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #45
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

I'm NOT liking this thread. I'm going to Disneyland in a few days and LOVE the Matterhorn!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: