Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #136
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

It doesn't make any sense for an attraction to go down for an extended period of time. AK doesn't have very many attractions in the first place. I find it hard to believe screamscape lately.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #137
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria3 View Post
It doesn't make any sense for an attraction to go down for an extended period of time. AK doesn't have very many attractions in the first place. I find it hard to believe screamscape lately.
Belle's Storytime went down for an extended period when the Fantasyland Expansion began. I still am unclear on why that one had to go down since though since that construction did not involve Fairytale Garden.

Maybe now would be the time to fix the Yeti too????
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #138
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

I love this show as well, so I hope it's a quick move. So do people think they are going to put camp minnie/mickey into a building? I thought one of the poster said something about moving them as well. I would not like that to be like the princesses at MK.
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #139
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
I definitely think they are just relocating FOTLK to Africa (hopefully not to Nemo's spot!) to make room to incorporate Camp Minnie Mickey into the construction for Pandora. I personally am really excited to see what the Imagineering crew can do with the beautiful landscapes and creatures of Avatar. I liked the movie (didn't love it), but like pp said, they are not recreating the MOVIE, just the landscape. Yes, there will probably be a couple of attractions that align with the movie, but I think it will be more about the conservation and "love your planet" message than the actual storyline of Avatar. JMO.
I'm just going to throw this out there. If people don't like it, they can feel free to throw it right back. Is the "conservation" and "love your planet" thing not already the theme of Rafiki's Planet Watch? I mean, my goodness, that is where Conservation Station is. Why not put this Avatar thing there? It has been my experience that that is the least crowded area of the park when I am there, anyway, so you would be less likely to upset people. Plus, with having to take the train to get there, you would be able to work with the how it blends in to the surrounding area a bit easier and it wouldn't be like you are walking along and BAM you are in Pandora. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this and that there is a reason they aren't putting it out there, but does anyone know why?

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #140
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Man, that's strike 2 for Avatarland in my book.
Mom,
Avatar had already struck out when I saw it when it came out.

I think Disney formed an alliance with James Cameron on this one. I think a ride would be just fine, but taking over the space of something popular is not cool with me. Is this going to include the character trails? That will put me over the edge for sure.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #141
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense for an attraction to go down for an extended period of time.
...it does if you are moving it. Say, to Harambe. You know, to make way for an expansion/redevelopment of the current Land.

Quote:
Is this going to include the character trails?
Disney has already announced that one of the Discovery Island shops is being re-purposed as an indoor character meet-n-greet. Once that opens, I'm not sure you still need the trails...
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #142
Miss Marie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Since nobody else has mentioned this...

How do we know this is actually going to happen?
I hope that this rumor isn't true. I've never seen the show before and really want to. It looks so good!

I hate the idea of Avatar. Sure it's got a good message that fits well with Disney, but it's just one movie that is supposed to be the start of a series. What if the next few movies aren't as good? I did like the message and the whole design, but I mean seriously, one movie that was a huge success gets a theme park area? HP I can understand, but Avatar, I don't get it.

Just in case, we'd better make sure to see FotLK in November.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #143
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Marie View Post
I hope that this rumor isn't true. I've never seen the show before and really want to. It looks so good!

I hate the idea of Avatar. Sure it's got a good message that fits well with Disney, but it's just one movie that is supposed to be the start of a series. What if the next few movies aren't as good? I did like the message and the whole design, but I mean seriously, one movie that was a huge success gets a theme park area? HP I can understand, but Avatar, I don't get it.

Just in case, we'd better make sure to see FotLK in November.
I agree. In my opinion, if you are absolutely insistent on having a land based on a movie franchise (which certainly seems dangerously close to copying something Universal did - but doesn't seem to be getting done as well), why not pick out a film franchise that has shown itself to actually be successful. In fact, you already have a partnership with George Lucas. Why not a Star Wars land? Star Wars the Weekend is extremely successful, as are all of those Star Wars conventions. And how many people love Star Wars and still dress up as characters from the movies at Comic Con? I don't even like Star Wars and I am able to see the promise that this idea holds. Avatar has me much less convinced.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #144
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Why not build the new theater first then move it? They haven't even broken ground on Avatarland or even released any detail on what it might be.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #145
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Although I'm very pleased that Disney is constantly working on new projects for the parks, I really hope that Festival of the Lion King is just being relocated and not permanently closed.

Dh and I love this show, in fact, we AK...our favorite park.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #146
si-am
DIS Veteran

Avatar land is the dumbest idea ever. Sure, it was successful when it came out, but it's been pretty much forgotten now. It doesn't have the same cult following as Hary Potter or Star Wars or even Toy Story. It's not a movie that people tend to watch over and over.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #147
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HOLIDAYS View Post
I love this show as well, so I hope it's a quick move. So do people think they are going to put camp minnie/mickey into a building? I thought one of the poster said something about moving them as well. I would not like that to be like the princesses at MK.
Camp Mickey Minnie covers a lot of territory. Were you perhaps asking if they were putting the character meet and greets into a building? If so, then the answer is YES. The characters will be moving very soon to Discovery Island and will be greeting in what is now Beastly Bazaar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Mom,
Avatar had already struck out when I saw it when it came out.

I think Disney formed an alliance with James Cameron on this one. I think a ride would be just fine, but taking over the space of something popular is not cool with me. Is this going to include the character trails? That will put me over the edge for sure.
See my comment above. You will still be able to meet the characters, but in a different area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Why not build the new theater first then move it? They haven't even broken ground on Avatarland or even released any detail on what it might be.
EXACTLY what I was saying in an earlier post. They did this with the new Dumbo spinner to minimize down time, so why not with the new FOTLK theatre?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #148
featherise
Earning My Ears

So sad. We are headed next June with folks who have never been. By far, my favorite show!
featherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #149
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Camp Mickey Minnie covers a lot of territory. Were you perhaps asking if they were putting the character meet and greets into a building? If so, then the answer is YES. The characters will be moving very soon to Discovery Island and will be greeting in what is now Beastly Bazaar.
Not to derail, but I can't remember when this was said to be opening...was it the end of August (this month)?

DisneyGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #150
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there. If people don't like it, they can feel free to throw it right back. Is the "conservation" and "love your planet" thing not already the theme of Rafiki's Planet Watch? I mean, my goodness, that is where Conservation Station is. Why not put this Avatar thing there? It has been my experience that that is the least crowded area of the park when I am there, anyway, so you would be less likely to upset people. Plus, with having to take the train to get there, you would be able to work with the how it blends in to the surrounding area a bit easier and it wouldn't be like you are walking along and BAM you are in Pandora. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this and that there is a reason they aren't putting it out there, but does anyone know why?
I believe it has to do with the animal habitats. Avatar land will most likely have elements that will require it to be placed in an area away from the live animals.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: