Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

I just did this today and it worked! I needed 3 but they only had 4. Perfect!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Vickie46
DIS Veteran

we always book a table for 3 with no problems.
Vickie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
mickeysgirl17
Wish I was at Disney

I have a party of 3 and was able to get all my ADR's online without any trouble for my December trip. I had no problem with any restaurant including Ohana, CM, Coral Reef, Le Cellier, Sci Fi and a few more...I wonder why some people are having problems???
First trip December 2006 9 Days at Pop Century, January 2007 1 day trip to MK, May 2007 1 day trip to MK, August 24th Pirate and Princess Party, May 2008 DD's birthday at MK! December 9, 2008 mvmcp May 2010 4 days offsite DD's 7th birthday and baby's 1st trip! December 2012 6 days at Pop Century, Deluxe dp, September 2015 , First Cruise on Disney Dream 4 night bahamian
Me DD DS

"Keep a weather eye on the horizon"-Will Turner
mickeysgirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
We had a table for three at 'Ohana - one side was up against the window and then each of the other three sides had a chair.
Akershus has a lot of table like that too, we were seated at one as a party of 3 once. However, I don't think I'd feel guilty in this case making the ADR for 4, as that seems like a very unfair quirk!

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here! June 2008 - Poly | June 2010 - CBR | Mar 2012 - ASMo | Apr 2013 - YC | Mar 2014 - AKL & AoA | Oct 2014 - POR | Dec 2014 - WL | May 2015 - FW?? | Nov 2015 - Pop??
gtpoohbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
gschon
Mouseketeer

I have 19 ADRs for 3, booked for Sept. 1st - 8th

Dixie Landings

Caribbean Beach Resort, September 2014
gschon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
Kaisara
Earning My Ears

I think the issue is that when a restaurant only has a few tables left, the system tries to fill it for the most people. It wants to fill a table of 4 with 4 people, therefore it won't return the search for 3.

This happened to me when I was looking for 2 at sci-fi: It returned 6 but not 2. I'm like, that's 3 parties of 2 that could fit into that car
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

On many occasions id make an ADR for 3 ppl with no problems. But i do agree the system is pretty messed up. On several occasions i'd notice when i put in a table of 3, it shows nothing is available. But when i put in a table of 4, there's availability. Why!?!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Since we've always been a party of three I haven't noticed a problem booking a party of 3 under regualr circumstances. But like many of the other PP it's those odd circumstances when you can't.

For example. I had an ADR for Boma that I made way back in May for 3 people at 7:45pm. No problem. But our plans have since changed and I want an earlier time. For weeks I have been searching while putting in party of 3. Today I searched and got my elusive 6:30pm time slot when.... I put in party of 4.

Question: should I call and say I made an error? Should I correct with conceirge? Should I show up that night and say three instead of four?
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #24
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
Question: should I call and say I made an error? Should I correct with conceirge? Should I show up that night and say three instead of four?
This. When you check in, just let them know there will only be 3 of you.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Just make the reservation for 4 people and tell them 3 when you arrive at the restaurant. It really isnt that big of a deal.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

I book all mine on line for three with no problems every trip and then about month I call and go over them all with live CM and never had had a problem with three getting a table. It is the time that gives out the table so may be that no 4 tops at the time you wanting. one time years ago they told me Le Cellier would have to seat us at two tables as only had two 2 tops and I waited and called back and got one table for three...which was a 4 top. do not book for four and then show up with three as they will not seat you and if it is one that charges $10 per person that does not show up then your have that to pay or put on your card. that is new this year. they want a 24 hour cancel and on the signatures where you have a credit card hold is 48 hour cancel...know last fall my DBL was in the restroom at Tony's and we told her when she called us he would find us and she said no she could not seat us until he back. and then we waited 45 minutes for our table...and no DBL will never hear the last of that one

Last edited by canopynut66; 08-10-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #27
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I still can't picture a table for three, is it a triangle?
Oh my gosh, this made me laugh!!!

It's usually just DH and I, so we haven't had any problems, but last September our adult son joined us and I was able to make all our ADRs online with no problem, getting everything I wanted. But, I'm really glad to know about this in the event he joins us again and I have trouble.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
serene56
DIS Veteran

we have 3 people for chef mickeys at 7am. I sincerely hope they do not put us in that side room there.

There are tables there that hold three people-- its against the wall and the third chair will sit in the isle.

we had this area for our first visit back in 2000 and I hated it back there.
spent almost 2 hours here and all we saw was chip and dale. Could see nothing o the antics in the other room either.

I felt like the ugly step child--

if seated here-- could we refuse?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think what some people reading and posting on this might be missing is you don't ALWAYS have to pop up your party into a larger number to get an ADR. It's just a trick. I had a lot to choose from when I made my first set of ADRs back in April, but as time has gone on and I've wanted to change some stuff around or just wanted different times, the choices have gone down. I'm going solo, so no matter what I'll be taking up a table for at least 2 people (and if you're thinking "they could put you at the bar", I wouldn't take that seat, I make ADRs to ensure a table) So when I wanted to change 2 things around recently and found times I didn't care for putting in "1 guest", I tried "2 guests" and got the times I wanted. Like it's been said, Disney would rather have 2 people than 1, 4 than 3, etc etc and that's where this quirk comes in.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #30
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopynut66 View Post
I book all mine on line for three with no problems every trip and then about month I call and go over them all with live CM and never had had a problem with three getting a table. It is the time that gives out the table so may be that no 4 tops at the time you wanting. one time years ago they told me Le Cellier would have to seat us at two tables as only had two 2 tops and I waited and called back and got one table for three...which was a 4 top. do not book for four and then show up with three as they will not seat you and if it is one that charges $10 per person that does not show up then your have that to pay or put on your card. that is new this year. they want a 24 hour cancel and on the signatures where you have a credit card hold is 48 hour cancel...know last fall my DBL was in the restroom at Tony's and we told her when she called us he would find us and she said no she could not seat us until he back. and then we waited 45 minutes for our table...and no DBL will never hear the last of that one
For restaurants with a CC hold (not full pre-pay like CRT, HDDR, and the like), the per person charge is only (supposed to be) assessed if you all don't show up. As long as part of your party shows, you won't be (shouldn't be) charged at all. Of course, there are still some that may slip through, so it's good practice to keep your receipts and check your statements.

The not-seating thing is more about the full party being there (everyone who is going) than having an ADR for a different number of people. If you tell them that it's only going to be 3 when they say "Party of 4", they'll have no problem with it. I've done this many times while traveling solo with ADRs for 2 (for various reasons such as not realizing I booked for 2 (stupid default), plans with Mom changed, or just for better times).

The invisible +1 person has been a method suggested by Disney for years now for groups with odd numbers of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
I think what some people reading and posting on this might be missing is you don't ALWAYS have to pop up your party into a larger number to get an ADR. It's just a trick. I had a lot to choose from when I made my first set of ADRs back in April, but as time has gone on and I've wanted to change some stuff around or just wanted different times, the choices have gone down. I'm going solo, so no matter what I'll be taking up a table for at least 2 people (and if you're thinking "they could put you at the bar", I wouldn't take that seat, I make ADRs to ensure a table) So when I wanted to change 2 things around recently and found times I didn't care for putting in "1 guest", I tried "2 guests" and got the times I wanted. Like it's been said, Disney would rather have 2 people than 1, 4 than 3, etc etc and that's where this quirk comes in.
Solos do get hit the "hardest" with this issue . I have had to do the same many times. In fact, I just booked a Yachtsman meal for October for 2 at 5:25pm. For 1, there was no availability until 8pm. It's some weird bug with their reservation system and has been happening since before online ADRs became available.

Of course, with solos, there's always the "The system defaults to 2 and I didn't notice the change" excuse built in .

And yup, you can certainly find times for odd-numbered party sizes, you can usually find more and better times with the +1 even numbered group (depending on base-size and such, for parties of 1-5 or so, it's pretty consistent). There are rare cases when the real size does work better, but those are more rare than the opposite. (And this method was suggested to me, several times, by Disney Dining CMs....while they're not particularly knowledgeable about stuff, and get a lot of stuff wrong, this works so I'm going to parrot it )

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: