Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #91
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Making a Gorgonzola and Grape Pizza (a la Palo) at home with my husband right now. I'll post pics and let you guys know how it turns out later!
happenin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #92
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Is anyone still reading? Should I continue this?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #93
jenf22
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Though I don't really care about the grape pizza Just kidding!!! I'm still checking trip reports to pass the time until our cruise. 1 month until we fly to Seattle!
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #94
pillow
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your pictures - thanks!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #95
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post
Is anyone still reading? Should I continue this?
Sorry for not commenting. I loved the pictures from the last update. I just had a very rough two weeks and haven't been posting a lot, but I'm still here!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Thanks for letting me know! I was starting to wonder if there was anyone left
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #97
big jack 2002
Mouseketeer

I'm still here, too!! Keep on writing and posting!! I'm enjoying your trip!
Barbara
big jack 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #98
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Skagway

This morning we skipped the gym and went right to breakfast. We decided to try out the buffet at Parrot Cay instead of Triton's. It was good. I didn't take any pictures because it was pretty much the same food but we got it ourselves instead of having it served to us. We thought there would be a shorter wait at PC, and we were right. As we walked past Triton's, there were people lined up waiting to be sat. At PC, we walked right in and got a table and our food right away. We were already in port by this time, so we wanted to make the most of our day. As we were getting ready to get off the ship, there was a cool breeze blowing in and I decided that I needed my coat. I didn't want to risk being cold. Well, when we got outside and into the sun, it was warm! I carried around my coat until we returned to the ship for lunch. Some pictures of the Wonder.

There were three other ships in port that day, a Holland America and two Princess ships.

Looking forward to Skagway

And back toward the ship.

The train they use for some of the excursions.

The main road in Skagway. It's a pretty small town. The smallest we visited on this cruise.

This train has a snowblower on the front of it.

I thought this railroad crossing sign was funny. Stop, look, listen, and live. I guess you can't learn common sense.

Chris in front of the Red Onion. You can see one of the girls at the back door towards the left of the photo.

I read in a trip report from last year that the "Working girls" were standing outside soliciting people to come in for tours of the brothel and that she had her two young sons with her and was offended that she was even approached with them. I understand parental concerns, but I have no children, yet. I was on the lookout for this place after reading the other report. We walked up and down this street no less than four times on this day and were not once approached or solicited to come in. I hope that gives comfort to those visiting with little ones. Be advised, all three Alaskan towns that this cruise visits have a deep history in prostitution and it is one of the things they sell to the visitors in their shows and museums. There was another show up the street that had women hanging out of the windows cat-calling to the men on the street. I was not bothered by any of this, but someone with children might be.

This sign cracks me up!

This sign was inside the welcome center. And I have to agree, it is a pretty great place. =)

I took a picture of this tusk before I saw the sign that said no photos.. Oh well.

And the info about it.

Although upon further inspection, I don't see a no photos sign here. It must have been near the next thing I wanted a picture and didn't get.

I couldn't get enough of the scenery, and honestly, this day had the best weather, so everything looked prettier.

I like to take pictures of common things to see how they are different in different places.

Up next: More Skagway, Skagway Brewing Co. and lunch back on the Wonder
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #99
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

So glad you're updating your report! Really looking forward to your next post!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #100
TXMickey
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your TR! We are leaving on the Wonder on Monday and I'm soaking up every last bit of information I can find. Thanks so much!!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #101
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I've been MIA for a looong time from the DIS and finally got caught up on your TR!

Holy cow...I completely forgot about it being so light outside at 10pm at night! I'm wondering if this would make me want to get an inside stateroom just for this since we like darkness....I can't for the life of me remember if there is a heavy enough curtain inside the ocean view stateroom to block out the light..

Palo Brunch looked amazing! I'm so glad we went. DH and I were just talking about our fantastic brunch there and i'm dying to have that chicken parm again!!!

Woah! That's a bloody mary tasting! I would definitely try that next time. Salmon Vodka?? I don't know about that, but I trust you!
DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #102
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

Just joined in -- wonderful TR! Alaska is on my bucket list, so of course I'm tempted to do a Disney Alaska cruise. Your TR is definitely making it all sound wonderful.

Dave

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)

Upcoming trips: DIS ABD Backstage Magic (July 6-11, 2014)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #103
stitch101
Earning My Ears

joing for updates....I too would like to go on an Alaskan cruise someday. Love all the pictures and information.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #104
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
So glad you're updating your report! Really looking forward to your next post!
Thanks for hanging in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMickey View Post
I'm really enjoying your TR! We are leaving on the Wonder on Monday and I'm soaking up every last bit of information I can find. Thanks so much!!
I hope you're having tons of fun right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I've been MIA for a looong time from the DIS and finally got caught up on your TR!

Holy cow...I completely forgot about it being so light outside at 10pm at night! I'm wondering if this would make me want to get an inside stateroom just for this since we like darkness....I can't for the life of me remember if there is a heavy enough curtain inside the ocean view stateroom to block out the light..

Palo Brunch looked amazing! I'm so glad we went. DH and I were just talking about our fantastic brunch there and i'm dying to have that chicken parm again!!!

Woah! That's a bloody mary tasting! I would definitely try that next time. Salmon Vodka?? I don't know about that, but I trust you!
One of the couples at our table was complaining about how she would be woken up every morning at 3am by the sun coming in her room. My husband was really annoyed because he really wanted a balcony room, but there weren't any left when we booked. We surely didn't have any trouble sleeping though.

We loved loved loved Palo! The grape pizza and the strawberry soup were my favorites.

The salmon vodka was just very smokey. Not fishy at all. If you've ever seen Drinking Made Easy, there's an episode where he visits the Double Down Saloon in Vegas that infuses their own bacon vodka. Pretty much you put three slices of cooked bacon in a 750ml bottle of vodka and let sit for 3 days before drinking. It's delicious, but it doesn't really taste like bacon, just smokey. Basically the same flavor as the salmon vodka. If you're ever in Vegas, I reccommend the Double Down, it's right off the strip near UNLV and from 12-5 everything is $2. Drinks on the strip are about $10 for crap vodka. Although, with lil man coming, it may be a while before you get to Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
Just joined in -- wonderful TR! Alaska is on my bucket list, so of course I'm tempted to do a Disney Alaska cruise. Your TR is definitely making it all sound wonderful.

Dave
It was wonderful! The vibe on the ship was very peaceful and the scenery was unlike anything I've seen on another cruise. DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch101 View Post
joing for updates....I too would like to go on an Alaskan cruise someday. Love all the pictures and information.
It's definitely worth it. The pictures don't do it justice. At all.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #105
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post

One of the couples at our table was complaining about how she would be woken up every morning at 3am by the sun coming in her room. My husband was really annoyed because he really wanted a balcony room, but there weren't any left when we booked. We surely didn't have any trouble sleeping though.

We loved loved loved Palo! The grape pizza and the strawberry soup were my favorites.

The salmon vodka was just very smokey. Not fishy at all. If you've ever seen Drinking Made Easy, there's an episode where he visits the Double Down Saloon in Vegas that infuses their own bacon vodka. Pretty much you put three slices of cooked bacon in a 750ml bottle of vodka and let sit for 3 days before drinking. It's delicious, but it doesn't really taste like bacon, just smokey. Basically the same flavor as the salmon vodka. If you're ever in Vegas, I reccommend the Double Down, it's right off the strip near UNLV and from 12-5 everything is $2. Drinks on the strip are about $10 for crap vodka. Although, with lil man coming, it may be a while before you get to Vegas

I'm kicking myself for not trying the Strawberry soup! I've heard marvelous things about it!

Oh man i'm so embarrassed to say this...but i've never been to Vegas And neither has my DH! We were supposed to go for our first time in February for my MIL's bday, till we found out we were pregnant and decided I wouldn't have much fun being pregnant and not being able to partake in lots of things. Especially since eating was not fun for me at ALL during that time, and I hear Vegas has some great buffets/food!
DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: