Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
tinabina919
Earning My Ears

First day

So I will be going to Disney in a few weeks and still can't decide what to do the day we get there. The flight gets in at 340pm and we are staying at the All Start Music Resort.
It's myself, DH and DD6. We have four full days, one day for each park but it's only 10$ more for each of us for another days park ticket but I don't know if it's worth it getting there so late in the afternoon. Should I visit a park for the night or just do DTD?
tinabina919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

When I last went, our flight got in at 4:45p and it was just past 7p when we finally got to our room. Granted, we had to wait for baggage claim (last minute resort change on our end, so we didn't have the proper DME tags), but still, not much time to do anything big. We also stayed at an All Star, Sports.

We unpacked, settled our toiletries in, etc then ate dinner at the food court. Afterwards we all took a dip in the pool. We weren't quite sure if we wanted to go to DTD arrival night either, right up until we were at the airport. Very glad we didn't hassle with a bus that 1st night. It was great to relax and wake up refreshed for rope drop!

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
WDGPCFR
WDGPCFR

I would get the park schedule and look to see what the Magic Hours are for the day. Some of the parks stay open ridiculously late now. $10 is the price of a movie. With only four days to your trip you can squeeze in a few things. If you skip the fireworks at a park that first day you can take advantage of the short lines.

WDGPCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
elyse43230
Is this real life? I feel funny...

I would definitely by the park tickets for the arrival day just so you have them. Going to see fireworks at MK or Epcot might be a great way to start off your trip!

Also, going to DTD the first day for shopping can be fun. Also, great Quick Service restaurant options.

But for me, the first day is wonderful for appreciating your resort. Go to the pool, peruse the gift shop, have a nice dinner at the food court. Walk around to the other areas and play! Especially if you're spending 1 day in each park, you probably won't have much time in the resort!

Disney Trips! June 2013 OKW June 2012 POFQ Feb 2009 POFQ July 2008 Epcot March 2008 5 Days POFQ April 2007 MK w/ Mom October 2001 Poly July 1993 MK August 1989 MK - 5 years old (Shannon gets her ears)
elyse43230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I would check the schedule and see what time the parade and wishes are at the MK. If you don't have any delays and you get in at a decent hour you can upgrade your ticket at check in.
If something happens and you get in and are tired and just want to hang out at the resort and get a good nights sleep you haven't wasted $10.00 per person.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

To me, it depends on what you are doing the next day. Are you heading for rope drop? If so, after a full day of travelling, it might be best to settle in, get a quick dip in the pool, and be ready to hit the parks the next morning all fresh!

lmbcdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
GrUvGrL
Earning My Ears

We usually use the arrival date to explore and get familiar with our surroundings! Then relax and rest up for the first ful day at the parks! Works beautifully for us!

2008 All Star Movies - 2010 Pop Century - 2011 All Star Sports - 2012 April Carnival Cruise (Nassau) - 2012 August Carnival Cruise (Grand Turk & Nassau) followed by 2012 - August - Art of Animation
GrUvGrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabina919 View Post
So I will be going to Disney in a few weeks and still can't decide what to do the day we get there. The flight gets in at 340pm and we are staying at the All Start Music Resort.
It's myself, DH and DD6. We have four full days, one day for each park but it's only 10$ more for each of us for another days park ticket but I don't know if it's worth it getting there so late in the afternoon. Should I visit a park for the night or just do DTD?
As others have suggested, check the park hours to help you decide. You said you'd be going in a few weeks - does that mean August or September? If it's August, chances are the parks will be staying open late and you'd be able to have at least a few hours in a park before closing.

If you're going in September, the parks might close earlier. You'd need to decide if it's worth it to go to a park for just an hour or two. Especially with variables like delayed flights, etc.

Myself, I travel from Washington State, so it's an all-day travel day when I arrive in Orlando, with a three-hour time change. Often I'm just too tired on arrival day to do much besides eat dinner and take a quick dip in the pool. You could actually wait to decide until after you arrive -- it's easy to add an extra day on your ticket when you check in! Then you won't have spent the extra money ahead of time, only to find out you're too tired to go.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Precious Disney
Earning My Ears

By the time I arrive at POP on my 1st day it will probably be about 2pm. I plan on checking in, having a late lunch, checking out the resort, then going to DTD. I thought it would be nice to enjoy the 1st day that way. Then I'll be ready to hit one of the parks early the next am.

But I'm sure whatever you decide to do, you will enjoy it...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
tinabina919
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
We are traveling from NY in exactly two weeks :D
There are no EMH the day we arrive but I think since I already have 5day ticket I will just head to Epcot since its closer than MK?
But I still need to find time for DTD...is HS an all day park? Maybe I can find some time on my HS day?
tinabina919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
grkgirlfriend
Earning My Ears

I am a veteran Disney goer and personally HS is not an all day event. My advise if to go to DTD on your Animal Kingdom day. Animal Kingdom closes earlier than all the other parks due to the animals and also there isn't much to do (personally that's what I think).
Usually by lunch time my family is done with this park.
grkgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
ellyn2000
DIS Veteran
Loves to go Pearl Diving in Japan

On our first day we always just lounge around the resort and then take a bus to Transportation & Ticket Center and hop a monorail to have dinner either at O'Hana or Grand Floridian Cafe. Makes us feel like we're really at Disney without actually paying to go to the parks for just a couple hours. DTD is a good option, too.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

We always arrive at around 2pm, eat at POP and then head to MK. This year our arrival day is a MNSSHP day, so I don't know if we will go to MK and then hop somewhere else or if we will just go straight to a different park. We like to start and end every trip with MK, so we will likely go there first. As for DTD, we always do it the night of our AK day since AK has shorter hours. This year is the first year we will have hoppers, and I haven't fully worked out our scheduling yet. Hoping to get that done in the next few days.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Orreed
Olivia

I always enjoy going to the parks on the first day. Although the magical express takes about an hour and half it may be late and not much time in the park especially if you have a DD6. I would say go to a park if you can! Magic Kingdom and EPCOT in my opinion you can stay more than a day. If you want to do Downtown Disney, that sounds like a wonderful option for a first day too. I find Downtown Disney is best to do early because much of the merchandise is the same as the parks. I also agree with the Magic Kingdom resort dinner. I adore resort exploring. Eating dinner, riding the monorail, and watching fireworks would be a nice start of a trip. I suggest Gasperilla Games at the Grand Floridan for the fireworks. It has lovely outdoor seating in front of a marina. There is soft serve ice cream and you can pull up the audio for the fireworks on your cell phone. Have a magical trip!
Orreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orreed View Post
There is soft serve ice cream and you can pull up the audio for the fireworks on your cell phone. Have a magical trip!
How do you pull up the audio for the fireworks on your phone?

lmbcdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: