Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #3031
1Grumpy9
DIS Veteran

I've got a busy weekend...I won tickets for Sunday's Pocono NASCAR race from one of the race teams, so I am going there on Sunday.

Tonight I am going to the cabin for the night.

We Can't Be Stuck on the Stairs Again TR

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #3032
KYfriedPanda
Mouseketeer

Since we seem to serve many beverages on this thread, I figured I'd share this with you guys... I was told to soak gummy bears in vodka (or another hard liqueur) for an interesting different type of "cocktail"... I had NO IDEA just how much alcohol those gummies absorb! I felt like each time I took a bite, I was having a shot! Anyone else here try this before?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #3033
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYfriedPanda View Post
Since we seem to serve many beverages on this thread, I figured I'd share this with you guys... I was told to soak gummy bears in vodka (or another hard liqueur) for an interesting different type of "cocktail"... I had NO IDEA just how much alcohol those gummies absorb! I felt like each time I took a bite, I was having a shot! Anyone else here try this before?
not yet....

Vodka and me don't get alone so well anymore.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3034
valree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
not yet....

Hahaha I'm the same way. It's been about 7 years since I've had vodka, and just thinking about makes the hair on my arms stand up. And not in good way. I'd love to try that with rum though!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #3035
SenecaWolf
I let my mind wander and it didn't come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
not yet....

oh man been about 7 years since I've drank vodka, last time I did was 3 20oz vodka/teas in about an hour...last thing I remember was falling in the bathtub and getting sick on the floor. Never touched the stuff again!

Now whiskey on the other hand...me and Jim Beam are great friends

CBR - 4/18/12-4/24/12 - First Family Trip/ DD's Sweet 16POP - 8/25/12-8/30/12 - Mother/Son TripCBR - 8/24/13-9/1/13 - 2nd Family Trip
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #3036
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone Jenn here, 32 and single, and LOVE Disney I am a huge lover of Disney and would love to be able to visit much more than I do Looking forward to meeting you all, and meeting some other singles here

Jenn
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #3037
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenecaWolf View Post
oh man been about 7 years since I've drank vodka, last time I did was 3 20oz vodka/teas in about an hour...last thing I remember was falling in the bathtub and getting sick on the floor. Never touched the stuff again!
This is me and tequila...straight up shots, way too many, in way too short a time. Just the thought of it ... ugh. It's funny how we all end up on the bathroom floor no matter which alcohol though.

I'm still fine with vodka though!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #3038
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

CT. Got your dates. its a go. will be back in October for Singles Roctober weekend. . .lol.
Gotta go back to bed. . .I have to work and its way tooooooooo early.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #3039
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

Monday Dilemma

Good morning SSC!! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. Mine was good, but hit a seriously sour note with a long-time friend. Since many of you don't know me in person, I want to get your unbiased opinion on something (if you will indulge me)...

This is a bit long, but a little background may help... ok first, I really don't like exchanging money in between friends for the obvious reasons, however I do know that there are times when things happen and may need to borrow/lend etc. Well anyway, I don't usually lend money because its never proved a positive result, but the few times in my life that I've borrowed Ive always paid back on time with no hassle.

I have a girl friend of over 10 years... about 5 years ago, I got into a jam and needed to borrow $500. She lent it and I agreed to pay back in 2 weeks just before her mortgage was due. 2 weeks later it was paid back on the date directly into her bank account. Anyone I've borrowed from in the past, I do the same with because I would never want that to be a sour chord in our friendship. however, as I said, I really try to never "lend". If I have to give, I just give it. She emailed me about a month ago, to inquire about a $800 loan. I didn't really have it to give outright, but I agreed to loan her half of that, $400 if she could pay me back before the end of July so I could pay my mortgage. She agreed and I had no reason to doubt her. She's always been good with money and all of our friendship never gave me a reason not to trust her. I sent it to her account and we agreed that she would pay me back on the 25th of last month. She is usually very meticulous with he bills and never thought in a million years she wouldn't pay me back... well the 25th came and went and nothing. On the 28th I reached out and asked what was up. She said "oh I meant to call, waiting for check to clear and sending it tomorrow." She sent a transfer to my bank acct, but this past Wed, my bank told me the payment was returned. I contacted her and asked her if she just deposit in my acct, she agreed but then the next day (when I was away for a 2-day conference) she left me a vm that she sent western union. So Saturday I went to collect the Western Union (I had been calling/texting to get the control #) and they told me the transfer was cancelled. I called yesterday and this morning with no answer, response, nothing...

Im not really mad about the money not being paid back because I do understand things happen, but you would think that a friend of that many years would at least have the courtesy to just be honest about it instead of screwing my bank accout up and taking me on all this madness with western union. I haven't heard from her since last wed when I told her the transfer was returned. She won't answer my calls or texts. I'm sad that our friendship will probably end over this and never was the type to let money get between things like this, but what she did was dead wrong and I would have been disappointed but ok if she had just spoken to me about it. What would you do? Am I wrong if I just end the friendship and move on? Im so pissed right now its not funny.

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #3040
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLalovesWDW View Post
Good morning SSC!! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. Mine was good, but hit a seriously sour note with a long-time friend. Since many of you don't know me in person, I want to get your unbiased opinion on something (if you will indulge me)...

This is a bit long, but a little background may help... ok first, I really don't like exchanging money in between friends for the obvious reasons, however I do know that there are times when things happen and may need to borrow/lend etc. Well anyway, I don't usually lend money because its never proved a positive result, but the few times in my life that I've borrowed Ive always paid back on time with no hassle.

I have a girl friend of over 10 years... about 5 years ago, I got into a jam and needed to borrow $500. She lent it and I agreed to pay back in 2 weeks just before her mortgage was due. 2 weeks later it was paid back on the date directly into her bank account. Anyone I've borrowed from in the past, I do the same with because I would never want that to be a sour chord in our friendship. however, as I said, I really try to never "lend". If I have to give, I just give it. She emailed me about a month ago, to inquire about a $800 loan. I didn't really have it to give outright, but I agreed to loan her half of that, $400 if she could pay me back before the end of July so I could pay my mortgage. She agreed and I had no reason to doubt her. She's always been good with money and all of our friendship never gave me a reason not to trust her. I sent it to her account and we agreed that she would pay me back on the 25th of last month. She is usually very meticulous with he bills and never thought in a million years she wouldn't pay me back... well the 25th came and went and nothing. On the 28th I reached out and asked what was up. She said "oh I meant to call, waiting for check to clear and sending it tomorrow." She sent a transfer to my bank acct, but this past Wed, my bank told me the payment was returned. I contacted her and asked her if she just deposit in my acct, she agreed but then the next day (when I was away for a 2-day conference) she left me a vm that she sent western union. So Saturday I went to collect the Western Union (I had been calling/texting to get the control #) and they told me the transfer was cancelled. I called yesterday and this morning with no answer, response, nothing...

Im not really mad about the money not being paid back because I do understand things happen, but you would think that a friend of that many years would at least have the courtesy to just be honest about it instead of screwing my bank accout up and taking me on all this madness with western union. I haven't heard from her since last wed when I told her the transfer was returned. She won't answer my calls or texts. I'm sad that our friendship will probably end over this and never was the type to let money get between things like this, but what she did was dead wrong and I would have been disappointed but ok if she had just spoken to me about it. What would you do? Am I wrong if I just end the friendship and move on? Im so pissed right now its not funny.
only you can decide how valuable the friendship is or was.
for me if it was a really good friend I would try contacting them and ask them if we could discuss the situation. otherwise, I might be inclined to just wait, and at some point make the decison to just end the friendship, or take legal action..

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #3041
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
only you can decide how valuable the friendship is or was.
for me if it was a really good friend I would try contacting them and ask them if we could discuss the situation. otherwise, I might be inclined to just wait, and at some point make the decison to just end the friendship, or take legal action..

Thanks Mickeyboo... Thats the problem. I have been trying to reach out email/text/phone and she hasn't responded at all. I was on the borderline of stalking.The only VM I got was at a time when she knew I would not be able to answer the phone... I will do a "wait and see" for the moment, but don't be surprised if you me on People's Court soon. LOL

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #3042
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:

Thanks Mickeyboo... Thats the problem. I have been trying to reach out email/text/phone and she hasn't responded at all. I was on the borderline of stalking.The only VM I got was at a time when she knew I would not be able to answer the phone... I will do a "wait and see" for the moment, but don't be surprised if you me on People's Court soon. LOL
if you go to court, and need a character witness, there are certainly a lot of characters here to choose from..

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3043
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

tough situation

Quote:

I don't "loan" unless I don't need so this is sort of a rough situation for me. Its possible that she just needed 400 and there was nothing left to pay back and she knew you had it. If you were a good friend, I would say I need 400 but might never be able to pay you back. Gives you an out. I don't like dangling participles. . .i.e. friends that I love that I can't pay back.

On a side note. . .I borrowed money from relatives (my aunt and uncle) several years back. I never returned the money. To this day I still want to pay it back but not sure how. I have the money, just not sure how to contact them any more.

Its a strange situation to be sure.

Oh, and I would move on. . .forget the money and leave the friendship behind.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop

Last edited by nurse.darcy; 08-06-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: cause I CAN
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #3044
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
Hi Everyone Jenn here, 32 and single, and LOVE Disney I am a huge lover of Disney and would love to be able to visit much more than I do Looking forward to meeting you all, and meeting some other singles here

Jenn
to the group! We always love having new people join us here, so just pull up a chair, order up a drink, and feel free to jump right in!

Quote:

Hmmmm... Tough one. honestly, It could also be that something (or a serious of somethings) have come up that prevented her from being able to pay you back like she planned, and she's just too embarrassed about the situation to talk to you about it right now. If you guys were close(ish) friends, it could actually make the situation worse if you are on the borrowee side since you know you could've put the friendship at stake because of the situation.

In general... I've gotten to the point with lending money that I just write off anything I lend without any expectations to ever see it again. been burned too many times when I did expect to be paid back.

Advice wise..... well... It's hard for me to really judge this friend's character or your relationship. Only you can do that. If it's someone who you consider a good friend instead of just a 10yr acquaintance (which I'm guessing it's a friend since you lent the money to begin with), It might be worth texting or contacting and just letting them know that if the situation has changed that is either preventing or delaying their ability to pay you back, You understand and am willing to let it slide for now... but that you are a bit concerned about her in general since it's not like her to act this way or avoid you. And after that.... just giving her some space for awhile. If it's a situation where something's come up that's prevented her good faith efforts to pay you back, it might be enough to help ease the guilt and stress enough that she might confide in you about what's going on.

From my own personal experience, I know that sometimes crap happens... and sometimes it's a snowball effect that can cause things to get worse for a bit before they start to get back to "normal". In those situations, I have sometimes in the past borrowed a bit of money (more like $20-100) to get me thru the first unexpected hurdle with all intention of paying it back at a time in the near future, only to then have 2 or 3 other things hit me unexpectedly which despite my best intentions make the timely repayment of that money I borrowed impossible. when that's happened, I've found myself in situations where when I do finally start to recover having to make another hard decision..... pay back the money I'm already late in paying back ASAP, even if it puts me in a tight spot that may make it hard to easily absorb another bump.... or wait a little longer to pay back that money since i'm already late paying it back in order to build up a better cushion so I'm less likely to be thrown for as much of a loop next time something unexpected happens.

Ok... I know I rambled a bit... but hopefully this might help you figure out how t proceed.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #3045
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Put me down for the October meet

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: