Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Wow, E is looking so grown up, even in all of his head-to-toe redness!

I would not have recognized DCA from your photos. I have seen photos of Carthay, but I haven't seen photos of anything else (until now) and it looks like I'm going to have major disorientation in a couple of weeks!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Disorientation is exciting. Embrace the confusion. (but warn the kids)

I only got to 8am? Yikes.

Side note: my photobucket account is such a mess. And I can't go back and change things around to different albums, since it says it'll break all the links. Guess I could just forget about the old trip reports and move forward, but I don't know that I like that idea. But man what a discombobulated mess my account is!

Of course, we immediately headed to Cars Land! Gorgeous! Like stepping right into the movie. Not sure why we didn't head straight to RSR, but I do recall that Luigi's line was SO short we couldn't pass it up.

As we waited in line we got to a certain point where the CM showed us how to move the tire. Then it was time to go out onto the "floor"...I felt like Marilyn Monroe! There's air coming up from the grates in the ground, even before the ride starts! So refreshing.

I was too busy looking and experiencing and taking pictures to realize that people were grabbing up the big balls. In fact I didn't even realize it on that ride! It was later on that I saw people grabbing them so they could throw them at people once the ride started. (not sure the balls will be on the ride forever and ever...)

It was a fun ride, though frustrating. Just like any bumper car, I suppose.

Moved on!

Since boy-o is 8, and since he had flown "all by himself" on one of our flights (reminder...he was one row behind me), it was time for our first single rider line! I believe the stated time was 40 minutes, but we started the line before the sign.

Sneak peak at the finish line

We were in between a family of adults (I told them they should join up, but they were fine the way they were; two had gotten to the line after we had, and they were fine staying like that) that were all very nice. We were so close to the seating CM, when...ride breakdown. We waited somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes. I am trying to not exaggerate, but I have a feeling I'm *under* estimating. It was good, though, because it gave us time to talk about exiting the ride; where to go, where to stop, where to not go *past*, that sort of thing.

I felt bad for the people sitting in the cars while they worked to get the ride started again!

It was definitely idle time!

Looking around from where we were waiting...

At last the ride was back up and moving and were to the CM! It ended up with E being in a car with two of the people we had waited with, so it was like he was with friends anyway.

My last shot before the ride started...

And then on the way back in.

Finding Eamon!

Finding me! (I'm in the front row, hair pulled back, glasses)

Great ride!!!!!!!!!!!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The guy in the background of the Garage in a Mirage shot...totally looks like Steven Colbert, yes?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I loved the wave water thingie, if you guys know what I'm talking about. But this is pretty.

At that point, we wanted breakfast. And Eamon wanted Mickey pancakes. So we walked (with purpose) over to Disneyland and to RiverBelle Terrace.

As anyone who has gotten those pancakes there knows, they use a maraschino cherry and some sort of raisin or currant, and pineapple for facial features. E likes the pineapple, but knows there are ingredient oddities with maraschinos, and the currants/whatever freak him out, so most of the fruit isn't eaten by him. He really really does not want to deal with those fruits, so this time he asked me to actually cut out the pancake parts that were sullied. (this isn't just pickiness, it's nervousness about the ingredients in these things, especially the cherry, so I'm cool with it)

Well, this results in Zombie Mickey....

Alternatively called Angry Bat.

As usual, there was much wandering around. I know the usual suspects would be Pirates & Pooh. E clamored for Splash and I clamored for Haunted Mansion. Neither of us was successful with our clamoring. Big Thunder was ridden at some point.

But the fun attraction for us, as always (when we're there at the right time), are the Canoes! (obviously I didn't take this shot while paddling)

Remember that gritting your teeth in anger looks just the same as a big smile, from far away! (thank you, canoes guide, for that tidbit)

I would never eat these (omg the sugar rush), but they are fun to look at!

It's duckling season!

While refilling water at Zocalo:

Wandered all the way back behind Big Thunder. Ew, the petting zoo area stinks when it's hot. Came out into Fantasyland, and could not get the actual shocking RED color of these flowers to translate to the camera!

I think there was Toad and possibly Alice (though that seems unlikely), but I *needed* a hat. The cotton hat I bought at WDW is adorable, but when I started sweating it's just disgusting and embarrassing! Might as well just dump water on the cap and be done with it (actually that probably would have been wonderful). So I wanted a "technical" fabric hat. And I found one, the white one with a pink D (that apparently looks gold from a distance...Robert saw it as gold twice, which is odd).

Eamon, however, got distracted.

Don't look now, but a whale is eating the tourists!

What a job!

He still loves the Carrousel, which I think is nice. I rode it too (unusual for me), so no picture!

Oh, wait. One picture.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The ONLY thing I'm going to say about this picture is....did anyone else enjoy watching the Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg digital shorts on Saturday Night Live? If so, this is for you.

For the rest of you...yeah, uh, cute plush, eh? Nothing odd or funny about it at all.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #36
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The ONLY thing I'm going to say about this picture is....did anyone else enjoy watching the Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg digital shorts on Saturday Night Live? If so, this is for you.

For the rest of you...yeah, uh, cute plush, eh? Nothing odd or funny about it at all.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #37
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Wow! Great update! The Luigi ride doesn't look like something that interests me but I do want to ride the racers.

The fountain is beautiful!

Love zombie Mickey!

I believe that red plant is a lipstick plant, and I can just imagine the color. We used to have them in our yard. I love the Disney gardens.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

That man does sort of look like Stephen Colbert.

I agree about the apples - I wouldn't eat them. I never eat them. I only eat regular, non-caramel, non-candied apples. But the ones at DLR are practically works of art, which only get more creative and more interesting with each passing year so I love looking at them.

The bed of red flowers is just stunning. If I recall correctly, those same types of flowers are the ones that were in a vibrant flower bed in Town Square when I was at DLR in June for Cars Land - except those were almost rainbow-colored flowers, and yours are straight crimson.

I love your Cars Land pictures - you got quite a few shots and saw a few things that I didn't see in June, because you actually went on the rides (whereas I did not) and got to enjoy the queues!

I loved almost all of the Digital Shorts Andy Samberg did (in fact, I don't know what SNL is going to do, now that it has lost both Kristin Wiig and Andy Samberg), and I know what you are getting at. So I will just say...no comment.

You know, seeing your Mickey pancake zombie picture and reading KCmike's comments about River Belle Terrace reminds me that I really should eat at RBT for breakfast more often. (I ate there for lunch in October, but it wasn't the same thing!) I've thought about RBT on recent trips, like when I've been solo, and have just not made it over there. But eating at RBT is one of the most vivid memories for me of my early Disneyland-going years, as a young'un. We would always, always start the day by eating there - and the strong smell of pancakes and syrup would hit me when we walked in the door.

I looked forward to those Mickey pancakes all year as a kid - and back in the days of old, RBT offered the option of getting a big brick of ice cream plunked down on the pancake as well (something they haven't done for ages and ages), so that it would seamlessly melt in with the syrup. Oh it was a pure heart attack on a plate, but wow...a big brick of ice cream on a Mickey Mouse pancake, sprinkled with powdered sugar - with bits of fruit for facial features - has got to be one of the best breakfasts EVER!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Glad that birthday Mickey is gettin' some appreciation. I nearly fell on the floor laughing when I saw it, and that is NOT the kind of thing one can explain to the 8 year old wondering what just happened!

Lipstick plants? Fun name, and very accurate!

Sherry, they used to put ice cream on them? Wow! We realized this time that the butter is sweetened, so they seem to be working our way back towards ice cream on pancakes, but in the form of butter, LOL. We don't even use the syrup, and it's all just SO sweet. But we usually (and did this time too) get the potatoes and eggs platter (Mark Twain?), so the eggs help with the sugar. Alas I really disliked the eggs this time, but that gave more to Eamon. The potatoes were ridiculously tasty, so that made up for the eggs.

I don't know what SNL is going to do, either. (did Sudeikis leave, too? what will I do without his dimples? and his sports announcing with horrible product placements at women's events?) Then again, I've felt that way before, but I have just about always loved SNL. (though frankly I was getting tired of the one expression Wiig was making for every character)

Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
kaoden39
Hugs

I'm always excited by a new cast on SNL. It means there is a whole new batch of funny and talented people out there for us to watch.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #41
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Glad that birthday Mickey is gettin' some appreciation. I nearly fell on the floor laughing when I saw it, and that is NOT the kind of thing one can explain to the 8 year old wondering what just happened!

Lipstick plants? Fun name, and very accurate!

Sherry, they used to put ice cream on them? Wow! We realized this time that the butter is sweetened, so they seem to be working our way back towards ice cream on pancakes, but in the form of butter, LOL. We don't even use the syrup, and it's all just SO sweet. But we usually (and did this time too) get the potatoes and eggs platter (Mark Twain?), so the eggs help with the sugar. Alas I really disliked the eggs this time, but that gave more to Eamon. The potatoes were ridiculously tasty, so that made up for the eggs.

I don't know what SNL is going to do, either. (did Sudeikis leave, too? what will I do without his dimples? and his sports announcing with horrible product placements at women's events?) Then again, I've felt that way before, but I have just about always loved SNL. (though frankly I was getting tired of the one expression Wiig was making for every character)
Yep! The Mickey pancakes of my youth could have bricks of ice cream on them if the customer wanted it! It's been so long since I've eaten a Mickey pancake - especially one with ice cream on it - but what River Belle Terrace used to do was give us a choice. I think that whipped cream was the alternate option. We could either get whipped cream or a brick of ice cream on the pancake, and then they'd put the small scoops of butter - or whatever it was - in little white cups on the side.

Of course I wanted the ice cream instead of whipped cream on my pancake. So the people behind the counter would go into a freezer and grab a wrapped brick of vanilla ice cream - probably a little bit larger all the way around than a deck of cards - unwrap it and plop it on the pancake. The ice cream was frozen solid, but it would begin melting pretty fast because the pancake and plate were both warm. By the time the syrup hit the pancake, it blended in with the melting ice cream! It was soooooooo good. I mean, sooooo bad. But soooo good.

I remember the flavor of the potatoes in the Mark Twain very well! If I recall, when I was a kid I didn't like the flavor of those potatoes much. In fact I didn't like potatoes in general when I was a kid (unless they were French fries) - and, of course, now I love potatoes and all their starchy goodness!

Yes, I think Jason Sudeikis left SNL too. It was hard to tell because on their season finale a few months ago, the focus was all about saying goodbye to Wiig. That's right - I had totally forgotten Jason Sudeikis' announcer skits, with the product placements! Well, I should say that I remember the skits well, but I'd forgotten that he was part of the skits.

Oh wow. SNL is losing 3 heavy hitters all at one time. Thankfully, they still have Bill Heder (is that how his last name is spelled? Or is it Hader?). His face is enough to make me laugh - he has one of those perfectly twisted, expressive faces that is just right for SNL. I was beginning to tire of K. Wiig a bit too, but the way they sent her off was as if she was the best thing that ever happened to the show. She was good for a long time, and I still love her skit with the singing sisters and her giant forehead and tiny doll hands, but I wouldn't say she was the best thing to ever happen to SNL! I will greatly miss that skit, though.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The Wiig goodbye was pretty good. I had read the rumors, but it took me a minute to realize that's what they were doing.

After, the FB SNL page was full of "why didn't they do that for the others?", acting like something bad was going on...and all I figured was that it was a combo of the others not wanting such a goodbye, and, maybe, the other members of the cast just not being close enough to the others to do it? I figured the others were saying their goodbyes in different ways.

I think E and I were watching Olympics water polo, and one of the announcers sounded SO much like Will Forte doing his announcing stuff that I wanted them to show the guys talking. I love the fake announcing, but Sudeikis is just so loveable (though his ex wife might disagree) even while saying super-gross things...

I'm uploading to photobucket right now....

Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

That day... Space? Maybe Star Tours (but I don't think so). Innoventions was *OK* but not great b/c kids were seriously hogging the videogames that E wanted to try. Except for the driving "spy" game, but you had to hold your spot and be alert for sneakers coming in!

Eventually we made our way back over to DCA.

I do not understand these "hats", but E really wants one. I can't do it. They are just too useless. Maybe I'll get a balloon (that will then sit in the hotel room the rest of the trip) on a future trip, but no Luigi's hat.

We sat and had some popcorn, watched CMs give away cute buttons to other kids, and whoa, looked over, and there's Mater!

Neon...

Cars Land neon. Oh wait, a story.

As we left CL that morning, I asked a CM what time their dusk activities started (the neon turning on). He immediately gave me a VERY specific, DEFINITE, time. I thanked him heartily for knowing so quickly and exactly!

We went back to DCA nicely ahead of time, though I wanted to be walking in to CL at that time so we could have the effect of the lights going on, etc. But we went in early, around half an hour early.

And almost as soon as we walked in, the music started and the neon started coming on.

Lesson? Even if a CM really really REALLY sounds like they know what they are talking about, don't trust that they actually know what's going to happen. And if it's important to you, to not miss something like that, ask several CMs and get there early.

The CM at the door of Flo's had menus, so people didn't have to get in line to find out the menu. They had a vegetarian option, the name of which I've managed to forget. Some sort of grain meat-substitute with mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots. Man it's hard to mess up something like that.

Gulp.

It was so so so so so BAD. I mean seriously bad. This was a non-budgeted trip done on the fly. We didn't have the easy money to get something else. I took a bite, looked at Eamon, and told him that. (and felt terrible doing so) So we became comrades in eating TERRIBLE food, just to get the calories in.

Compared to our dinner the night before at Pizza Press, which he LOVED, this was just sad. I had to go to the condiment bar and get packets of salt and mustard. One or two packets of salt between the main dish and the peas and carrots, and mustard just drenching the whole thing, made it at least something that could be eaten.

I could have complained, gotten a refund, etc...but we were really very hungry, had been at the parks nearly 12 hours at that point and were tired of walking around, and, of course, there is nothing else in CL for a veggie to eat. That was it. So we ate it.

Ugh.

More happiness.

Blurry, but fun.

Decided to go on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (that's what it's called, yes?) in the evening. We were going to finish off our night with Grizzly, but it got COLD after the sun went down, and we just couldn't do it.

It's like the teacups on steroids. We liked it, but you get really slammed around every few spins.

After that, we were good! (too many images...I'll be back!)

Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As we crossed Harbor, we heard boom boom booms. So, from the sidewalk we saw some fireworks.

When we got back to the room, I arranged late checkout, got us as packed as possible, and complained that our room was cleaned that day despite the "do not disturb" sign. The sign that was missing when we got to the room. The front desk said it was "probably kids" who took the sign away, and I learned not to trust the sign, and to call Housekeeping to tell them not to give service if that's what I want. I'd left no tip, I had clothing strewn about the room, hadn't put things as "away" as I normally do. Oh well!

And we said goodnight and got some rest!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
kaoden39
Hugs

Oh my gosh the vegetables looked so dry and unappetizing. Yuck, you poor things.

The neon lights are just so pretty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: