Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #1906
NJGuy3
"You forgot one very important thing, mate...I'm Captain Jack Sparrow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyontheHiSeas View Post
Wallis this was shot with an 85mm f/1.4. Almost all of my food shots are shot with a 24-70 and flash but only had the 85 with me at lunch this day.

Captain's Gala Fantasy
Pan-seared Venison Medallions
with marinated Red Cabbage, Potato Croquettes, and a Port Wine and Juniper Reduction

If you don't mind me asking...have a few questions:

What settings are you typically using when photographing food...i.e, aperature, iso, shutter speed.?

Do you use shutter or aperture priority, auto iso, etc?

Do you always use flash?

Of these three lenses I currently own, which would you suggest is best to use?
Canon kit lense 18-55mm
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 18-270mm

Thanks!

April '82: off-prop * June '88:Disneyland * July '90: off-prop *Nov.'04:ASMoR * Aug.'05:ASMuR * Dec.'06:POFQ *Jan.'07:PCR * May'07:BCR * Aug./Sept.'07:CBR * Oct.'07:PORR * Dec.'07:CSR
May '08:PCR * March '09:BWI * May'09:PORR * July'09:SSR * Sept.'09:OKW * May'10:BWI
Aug.'10:BVS(off-prop) * Oct.'10:PCR * Feb.'11:DCL Dream/AKV * Dec.'11:Honeymoon Trip-AKV * April.'12:SSR * Oct.'12: off-prop * Dec.'12:DCL Fantasy/BWI * May'13: off-prop * Sept.'13:BCR

Follow me: Flickr - Facebook
NJGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #1907
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGuy3 View Post

What settings are you typically using when photographing food...i.e, aperature, iso, shutter speed.?

Do you always use flash?

Canon kit lense 18-55mm
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 18-270mm

Thanks!
I would use the 18-55 or 18 -270. The 50 mm will be too hard to use on a plate. You'll need to stand a bit away to take each picture.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #1908
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

Quote:
Do you always use flash?
Canon kit lense 18-55mm
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 18-270mm
Thanks!
When shooting food I always use manual. ISO depends on how dark the restaurant is but somewhere around 800, f/5 to f/8 depending on how deep I want the depth of field, shutter speed somewhere under max sync speed (125-200) and an external flash attached to the camera. Of your three lenses the 50mm would be the sharpest. I shoot with a 24-70 and use the entire range with most shot around 50mm. The only thing with the 50 is obviously you will have to physically move to zoom.

Palo
Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Polenta With a Roasted Shallot Sauce and a Parmesan Crisp

GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #1909
Cobrastrike
Mouseketeer

I would go with the 18-55. With some large zoom lenses you can often see distortion around the edges when fully zoomed out (18mm). Nothing horrible that would spoil your picture, and most people probably would not really notice.
I always use a flash for food shots. Too often you'll lose a lot of the colour if you don't. Don't hold your camera directly above your food and shoot straight down. You'll get too much reflection off the white plates, and your food will look very two-dimensional.
Cobrastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #1910
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

Tahitian Vanilla Crme Brle
With Almond Biscotti
Royal Palace Fantasy

GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #1911
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I do photography as well. How are places like Palo and Remy when it comes to shooting food with a DSLR and flash? I'd love to bring mine in but would it not disrupt others if I shoot pics of my food? Great pics, btw.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #1912
NJGuy3

Quote:
When shooting food I always use manual. ISO depends on how dark the restaurant is but somewhere around 800, f/5 to f/8 depending on how deep I want the depth of field, shutter speed somewhere under max sync speed (125-200) and an external flash attached to the camera. Of your three lenses the 50mm would be the sharpest. I shoot with a 24-70 and use the entire range with most shot around 50mm. The only thing with the 50 is obviously you will have to physically move to zoom.
Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated! My wife & I will be on the Disney Fantasy this Dec. and plan on taking plenty of food photographs!

I'll stick with the 50mm for photographing food, agreed...definitely the sharpest of the lenses I currently own. Unfortunately, I don't own an external flash...is this necessarily to achieve similar photographs? Should I use slightly different settings when not using an external flash?

April '82: off-prop * June '88:Disneyland * July '90: off-prop *Nov.'04:ASMoR * Aug.'05:ASMuR * Dec.'06:POFQ *Jan.'07:PCR * May'07:BCR * Aug./Sept.'07:CBR * Oct.'07:PORR * Dec.'07:CSR
May '08:PCR * March '09:BWI * May'09:PORR * July'09:SSR * Sept.'09:OKW * May'10:BWI
Aug.'10:BVS(off-prop) * Oct.'10:PCR * Feb.'11:DCL Dream/AKV * Dec.'11:Honeymoon Trip-AKV * April.'12:SSR * Oct.'12: off-prop * Dec.'12:DCL Fantasy/BWI * May'13: off-prop * Sept.'13:BCR

Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1913
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGuy3

Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated! My wife & I will be on the Disney Fantasy this Dec. and plan on taking plenty of food photographs!
Which December cruise?

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #1914
NJGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders79 View Post
Which December cruise?
December 8th sailing...aka, DIS Unplugged Podcast Cruise 4.0.
Plenty of food photography to be taken on that ship for 7-nights!

Old 08-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #1915
tinkandme
Mouseketeer

silly question

do they ever allow you to take a dessert back to your room? Sometimes i just can't eat dessert right after a meal but...2 hours later I sure am looking for one, and i'd hate to miss out on one of these!!
Thanks for all these wonderful pictures! YUMMY!
~Kim

*)
. .*) .*)
(. (.* .
tinkandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #1916
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I would use the 18-55 or 18 -270. The 50 mm will be too hard to use on a plate. You'll need to stand a bit away to take each picture.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrastrike View Post
I would go with the 18-55. With some large zoom lenses you can often see distortion around the edges when fully zoomed out (18mm). Nothing horrible that would spoil your picture, and most people probably would not really notice.
I always use a flash for food shots. Too often you'll lose a lot of the colour if you don't. Don't hold your camera directly above your food and shoot straight down. You'll get too much reflection off the white plates, and your food will look very two-dimensional.
Well, I'm certainly getting intimidated here. I just use my point and shoot Kodak easyshare camera.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1917
tinkandme
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'll stick with the 50mm for photographing food, agreed...definitely the sharpest of the lenses I currently own. Unfortunately, I don't own an external flash...is this necessarily to achieve similar photographs? Should I use slightly different settings when not using an external flash?
Hi NJGuy, I'm a portrait photographer not a food photographer but the rules are the same however. The idea being it's always better to get the flash higher or off camera than where the manufacturer places them. In your case however, I would suggest you use a filter/diffuser for your on camera flash if you can't or don't have an off camera flash just yet. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your cruise! I'll take my first cruise on the Magic 9/12/12 to Canada.

*)
. .*) .*)
(. (.* .
tinkandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #1918
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Palo
Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Polenta With a Roasted Shallot Sauce and a Parmesan Crisp

Just want to say that not only was this item the best thing I ate on the Fantasy, it's the best thing I ever ate, period. Just get it.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #1919
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandme
do they ever allow you to take a dessert back to your room? Sometimes i just can't eat dessert right after a meal but...2 hours later I sure am looking for one, and i'd hate to miss out on one of these!!
Thanks for all these wonderful pictures! YUMMY!
~Kim
Yes. Just tell your servers you want to take it to go. We did this a few times. No problems.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #1920
jacquieone
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
Just want to say that not only was this item the best thing I ate on the Fantasy, it's the best thing I ever ate, period. Just get it.
It was amazing. As was the tuna steak with white truffle potatoes

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: