Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #136
Aust
DIS Veteran

Sorry, a couple of days late, but i hope things are going a bit better today. I am having an absolutely shocking time at work lately too, so I sympathise in part! Luckily we have our trips to look forward to!
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #137
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Aww that sux! But it does help having an awesome Disney holiday to look forward to! Hope things start looking up for you soon.
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #138
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2

I love getting the planning DVD's!!! That's what I do - it helps me get my Disney "fix" while I wait for time to pass. I also buy the Passporter book and pour over that a million times. I must confess I do that for WDW because when we go to DLR, we usually stay with family most of not all of the time there. We have been to DL many times, and we kind of have a system.

We usually plan for 3 days of park hopping and by that time have seen about everything. I guess with the new Cars Land, we probably would need 4 days, so your 5 is probably about right. It is really compact with both parks together so that saves travel time for the hopping.

Okay, about visiting the "other" areas. .... what is your mode of transportation? I think I would look into renting a car, if you are used to freeway driving at all, and then plan for the less traffic times. The bus looks like $70 each round trip.
How are you getting to Six Flags from your LA hotel? It is a 45 minute drive, which is very expensive in a taxi -
about $100 one way. I did find this info from someone onTripAdvisor - maybe you have seen it

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...alifornia.html

The drive from Anaheim to LA will be about 2 hrs. You probably don't want to be commuting that and trying to visit parks at the same time. I know it looks close, but it really does take 2 hrs without traffic - because there always is traffic. Keep in mind of you are driving on a weekday - M-F, you will want to leave after 9 am - better if you can wait until 10 and return either by 3 pm or after 7pm or you will be in stand still bumper to bumper traffic at times.

Hope this is helpful. Happy Planning! When is your trip?
I had a 3 day park hopper pad when I went this year in April, and while I did get a lot done, there's also a lot that I missed. Half of the things I wanted to do I completely forgot about until we arrived home. It felt very rush rush the whole time. I want to be able to experience the true magic of Disney, do some dining experiences, get some golden photos! And generally just be able to soak up the Disney vibes instead of rushing about everywhere because I feel like I've got no time. Our transportation will be bus 'tours' neither me nor Jordan wants to drive while we're over there. So we will probably be booking tours with southern California greyline that include transportation and admission
Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #139
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMouseGirl View Post
I had a 3 day park hopper pad when I went this year in April, and while I did get a lot done, there's also a lot that I missed. Half of the things I wanted to do I completely forgot about until we arrived home. It felt very rush rush the whole time. I want to be able to experience the true magic of Disney, do some dining experiences, get some golden photos! And generally just be able to soak up the Disney vibes instead of rushing about everywhere because I feel like I've got no time. Our transportation will be bus 'tours' neither me nor Jordan wants to drive while we're over there. So we will probably be booking tours with southern California greyline that include transportation and admission

This is what we did. We had 5 day park hoppers and STILL didn't get to do everything! And that was in quiet season with no parades, Critter Country, Star Tours, Goofy's Sky School, Little Mermaid or Carsland! But we were really able to take our time, take in all the details, and really enjoy ourselves. I'm sure MinnieSue is also an advocate of having more days at Disneyland

We did the tour to Universal Studios with the bus and tickets all in one. It was a great way to do it, not having to worry about getting used to driving on the other side, traffic, and directions. On the way up the bus driver did a little commentry about the history of the area and pointed out some interesting sites. On the way back most of the passengers had a little nap It only took about an hour to get there. The only trouble was because it was so quiet we had done just about everything by lunchtime and struggled to fill in the afternoon until the bus left!
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 08-04-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #140
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

It's update time........yay!!!!!

Thanks so very much to those who popped in and left me a message in my moment of melancholy..........all will be well soon I am sure

Sooooooo, I loved the eighties...............but, I must say I am loving being back in the seventies!!! Seventies, you say...........

79 sleeps to go..................oh yeah!!!

Excited is not a big enough emotion right now!!!

KiwiMouseGirl - yep, I'm all for taking your time so you don't miss the little things. I know it's not possible for everyone to spend so much time in the park, or that some folk may not want to stay too long, but I would rather have the time to take it all in and be fully immersed in the magic that is Disneyland........................And just like zanzibar138 said, I am definitely an advocate of having lots of park time! In regrads to Universal, we also did the bus tour last trip and are doing it again in October with Gray Line tours. It picks you up and drops you off right out the front of your hotel. I wouldn't do it any other way as I certainly will not be doing any driving on the wrong side of the road!!! It cost $100.00 each and that includes the bus and the ticket in.
The other thing I noted in your itinerary is you wanting to go to Six Flags. We had tickets in 2010 but didn't end up going. Unless you are willing to hire a car, the public transport you have to take will take you ages to get there and there is a lot of changing from trains to buses etc so we didn't bother. I looked into getting a bus tour like we did for Universal and Seaworld etc, but couldnt find one. Maybe you might have better luck.

The planning for me is half ( well almost ) the fun when going to Disneyland. For those of you that have been following along or/and have read my trip report from 2010, you will know that I love Disneyland........................ ( understatement.....it is my life )and all it's magic. For me it is an experience to be savoured and remembered and I think that some good planning before hand is great to make things go the way you want them too. Sure, things will not always run to plan, but, if you know what to expect before you go, it will make less of an impact if things go a bit astray!

If you take a look at our itinereray, it is planned, but it also allows for the freedom to just go with the flow on some days and to be more structured on others. This way we should get to do all we want to do, see alll we want to see and then have the opportunity to go back and do it all again ( and maybe even again!!! )!!!!!

And speaking of planning, I thought we haven't had a picture for a while so here is just some of my "bedtime" reading.......

The next thing I have on the agenda to do is organise all our character meals and book our dinner at the Blue Bayou. Still have a little bit of time to wait, but it will be here in no time!

I have seen some pictures of the Disney archives exhibition we are going to and boy does it look amazing. I must admit I am also looking forward to going to this particular museum as it has a real Air Force one plane that you can walk through. Looking forward to that!

Have had a discussion with the DD and it seems we will be giving the Fantasmic priority deal a miss. We have done it previously, but there are a few reasons we are going to skip it this time. Firstly, if you are willing to wait for a bit, you really can get just as good a spot if you stake it out yourself. We had the second row of the seats when we did the priority deal and had a lady sit in front of us and her son was wearing Mickey Mouse ears Needless to say, it was not a good view at all. Another thing is what you get for the price. The dessert box is ok, but we really didn't eat much of it and the DD hardly touched hers. So, the money will be better spent elsewhere...............maybe towards our Blue Bayou dinner!!!

My Disney store order has arrived safe and sound at the Howard Johnson. I must say I am very impressed that UPS sends through an invoice saying the parcel had been delivered and who actually signed for it! Can't wait to get all our goodies!
I do have to send them an email though as the invoice and packing slip does not list the 4 gift cards I ordered and I have most definitely been charged for them. Maybe they send them seperately, but I certainly need to check as it is $400.00 worth!

Well, that's about it for now. Have a magical day

Please don't forget to pop in and say hi.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #141
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Yay for the seventies

I have to say I'm very jealous of your reading list!

I don't know how I would go having to wait for my Disney shopping! Will be a nice touch when you get there though Hope you can get the gift cards sorted out nice and quick too.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #142
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Yay for the seventies

I have to say I'm very jealous of your reading list!

I don't know how I would go having to wait for my Disney shopping! Will be a nice touch when you get there though Hope you can get the gift cards sorted out nice and quick too.
Yes I do love my reading list! I picked a couple of those up in Disneyland itself and have just about worn them out! Hoping to add a couple of new ones come October. I will have the new 2013 Unofficial Guide just before we go so looking forward to seeing what the Carsland updates will be like!I have lots and lots of books about Disneyland itself from over the years. It's fun to sit and look at all the changes. I even have one from the year I was born....1967 and the pictures in that are a riot!!!

I am going to email the Disney Store right now so will keep you posted!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #143
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

We have only booked flights, but that's it. Last time we went to Disney world we booked our character dinner months and months in advance, so it feels wierd to wait so long to book a character Dinner at Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
It's update time........yay!!!!!

Thanks so very much to those who popped in and left me a message in my moment of melancholy..........all will be well soon I am sure

Sooooooo, I loved the eighties...............but, I must say I am loving being back in the seventies!!! Seventies, you say...........

79 sleeps to go..................oh yeah!!!

Excited is not a big enough emotion right now!!!

KiwiMouseGirl - yep, I'm all for taking your time so you don't miss the little things. I know it's not possible for everyone to spend so much time in the park, or that some folk may not want to stay too long, but I would rather have the time to take it all in and be fully immersed in the magic that is Disneyland........................And just like zanzibar138 said, I am definitely an advocate of having lots of park time! In regrads to Universal, we also did the bus tour last trip and are doing it again in October with Gray Line tours. It picks you up and drops you off right out the front of your hotel. I wouldn't do it any other way as I certainly will not be doing any driving on the wrong side of the road!!! It cost $100.00 each and that includes the bus and the ticket in.
The other thing I noted in your itinerary is you wanting to go to Six Flags. We had tickets in 2010 but didn't end up going. Unless you are willing to hire a car, the public transport you have to take will take you ages to get there and there is a lot of changing from trains to buses etc so we didn't bother. I looked into getting a bus tour like we did for Universal and Seaworld etc, but couldnt find one. Maybe you might have better luck.

The planning for me is half ( well almost ) the fun when going to Disneyland. For those of you that have been following along or/and have read my trip report from 2010, you will know that I love Disneyland........................ ( understatement.....it is my life )and all it's magic. For me it is an experience to be savoured and remembered and I think that some good planning before hand is great to make things go the way you want them too. Sure, things will not always run to plan, but, if you know what to expect before you go, it will make less of an impact if things go a bit astray!

If you take a look at our itinereray, it is planned, but it also allows for the freedom to just go with the flow on some days and to be more structured on others. This way we should get to do all we want to do, see alll we want to see and then have the opportunity to go back and do it all again ( and maybe even again!!! )!!!!!

And speaking of planning, I thought we haven't had a picture for a while so here is just some of my "bedtime" reading.......

The next thing I have on the agenda to do is organise all our character meals and book our dinner at the Blue Bayou. Still have a little bit of time to wait, but it will be here in no time!

I have seen some pictures of the Disney archives exhibition we are going to and boy does it look amazing. I must admit I am also looking forward to going to this particular museum as it has a real Air Force one plane that you can walk through. Looking forward to that!

Have had a discussion with the DD and it seems we will be giving the Fantasmic priority deal a miss. We have done it previously, but there are a few reasons we are going to skip it this time. Firstly, if you are willing to wait for a bit, you really can get just as good a spot if you stake it out yourself. We had the second row of the seats when we did the priority deal and had a lady sit in front of us and her son was wearing Mickey Mouse ears Needless to say, it was not a good view at all. Another thing is what you get for the price. The dessert box is ok, but we really didn't eat much of it and the DD hardly touched hers. So, the money will be better spent elsewhere...............maybe towards our Blue Bayou dinner!!!

My Disney store order has arrived safe and sound at the Howard Johnson. I must say I am very impressed that UPS sends through an invoice saying the parcel had been delivered and who actually signed for it! Can't wait to get all our goodies!
I do have to send them an email though as the invoice and packing slip does not list the 4 gift cards I ordered and I have most definitely been charged for them. Maybe they send them seperately, but I certainly need to check as it is $400.00 worth!

Well, that's about it for now. Have a magical day

Please don't forget to pop in and say hi.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #144
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post

This is what we did. We had 5 day park hoppers and STILL didn't get to do everything! And that was in quiet season with no parades, Critter Country, Star Tours, Goofy's Sky School, Little Mermaid or Carsland! But we were really able to take our time, take in all the details, and really enjoy ourselves. I'm sure MinnieSue is also an advocate of having more days at Disneyland

We did the tour to Universal Studios with the bus and tickets all in one. It was a great way to do it, not having to worry about getting used to driving on the other side, traffic, and directions. On the way up the bus driver did a little commentry about the history of the area and pointed out some interesting sites. On the way back most of the passengers had a little nap It only took about an hour to get there. The only trouble was because it was so quiet we had done just about everything by lunchtime and struggled to fill in the afternoon until the bus left!

Exactly! Im really looking foward to being able to take the time to enjoy our trip. And while we will still most likely be half running between attractions we will still have sheduled down time somewhere during the day. Weather it be swimming in the hotel pool or people watching on main street while eating churros I want to make sure that when we get home we feel like we've had a fulfilling trip of Disney magic. My cousin isn't so into Disneyland, but then I wasn't either until I realised how magical the whole experiance could be if you let it. I'm looking foward to opening his eyes to the wonder of Disney, so want to include as many character meals and shows as possible

We did the tour to universal on our last trip and LOVED it! We got there before opening and left after closing. I have nothing but positive reviews about SCGL and will tell anyone who will listen We also found we were about done by lunchtime. but then we also didn't see a whole heap of shows which is something I regret. We did the studio tour and Shrek 4d. We filled in the rest of the afternoon with me riding Revenge of the Mummy (A total of 9 times during the day)

Edit: Talking about the trip has made me all giddy and excited...haha!

Last edited by KiwiMouseGirl; 08-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #145
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

We interupt this program for the following news break!!!!

News number one - Have decided ( on the advice of a very smart American friend ) to do another Mickey's Halloween party with the money we were going to spend on the Fantasmic dinner! So, now we get to go twice I am so happy about it as now we should be able to catch all the charaters in their halloween costumes for pictures. It also means that on the first one we can take pics of the parade and fireworks etc and then Halloween night we can just take take it all in

News number two - Found out today that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed from sometime in September right through to mid next year. They are doing a major refurb. I was looking forward to riding this a few times this trip as we only did it once last time. Oh well, we will just have to make up for it on other things. The last trip Star Tours was closed so we are looking forward to catching up with Darth and friends

And saving the best news for last...............some wonderful, magical pixie dust for us today. A fairy godmother has provided us with tickets to Mickey's Toontown Madness This now means we will have an early entry into the park and can catch the opening with Mickey and the mayor of Toontown. We are very excited ..............and very, very thankful to the wonderful person who made this possible
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #146
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

How exciting!
Has BTMR actually been confirmed to be done, I thought it was just a rumour for now. You can't always trust Al Lutz for your sake, I hope it isn't true. But then again, it's just another reason to return later on
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #147
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

Ohhh two Halloween parties That will be lots of fun!

Aww hoping BTMR closure is just a rumor because I've never been and I want to try it Already missing out on the Storybook Canal Boats and Casey Jr Train Why couldn't it be rides I'm not that into lol

Oh my gosh!! Congrats on the MTTM tickets! I'm hoping a fairy godmother will gift me two for our trip Were they gifted from the DIS or elsehwere out of curiosity

The other two girls aren't all that keen on it but I'd love to see it and it supposedly won't be running as of next year
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #148
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Yay! Im hoping we can swing two MNSSHP's too! Will make it much easier picking days for the parks!!
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #149
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

I'm excited..........................!!!!!!!

To get us some extra spending money, the DD and I have been selling some stuff on ebay and today we made $224.00

Any money that we make is going to the "food" fund to cover character meals etc.........what a great start!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #150
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the Toontown Madness! What a lovely fairy Godmother you have

Good idea with the extra night at the Halloween party too - I always like to do parades and shows twice so I can concentrate on taking pics one time, then just enjoy it the next time

Sounds like they'll be doing some serious work on BTM if it's going to be closed for that long - they're really going nuts with re-furbs and new stuff at the moment! But at least at Halloween time you can be pretty sure that the Haunted Mansion will be open

Good work with the Ebay selling too I should do that too - I've got heaps of stuff that needs selling!

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: