Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #31
withrow13
Mouseketeer

Dolphin tour - who was it with how was it?

We are heading to HHI next week from Pittsburgh. Children ages 9 and 12. We are interested in taking a dolphin tour mainly to see dolphins up close. How did that work out for you?
Thank you,
withrow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #32
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

we did the dolphin tour through the resort and Captain Scott. he is wealth on knowledge and we got to see several up close. since they are in the wild, it is hard to predict where they will be. We did see some then they went and hid from some other boats. some hid under us. Scott also gave a great tour of the island by boat as well as the dolphin tour. We will do it again.

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by withrow13 View Post
We are heading to HHI next week from Pittsburgh. Children ages 9 and 12. We are interested in taking a dolphin tour mainly to see dolphins up close. How did that work out for you?
Thank you,
Are you driving straight through from Pittsburgh? We are planning on going to HHI June 2013 and I am looking for advice on where to stop and stay over the night to split up the trip.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
withrow13
Mouseketeer

We are going to be driving straight through.
withrow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #35
missycj96
DIS Veteran

We stopped in rocky mount north carolina at a nice country inn and suites. Kids could make their own waffles for breakfast and there was a decent indoor pool opened for after dinner swimming.

On the way down we stopped at the lewis ginter botanical garden about 3:30 ish in richmond va. My kids loved it. There is a childrens garden with a splash pad for the kids to get good and wet ( i knew in advance and had extra clothes), and a nice butterfly exhibit. We were there for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total- just did the butterflies and kids area plus the beautiful gift shop. (aaa discount avail) Then we drove on to nc and stopped for the night. Its about 5 hrs the next day.

The next day we stopped for lunch at a restaurant in south carolina - red bone alley. We were there just at 12. A little earlier may be better as there were already a lot of people - look at it on line. It took a little more time than i woul have liked but food was good and kids loved it.

Next time i may try to get to fayetteville and stop there.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #36
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96 View Post
We stopped in rocky mount north carolina at a nice country inn and suites. Kids could make their own waffles for breakfast and there was a decent indoor pool opened for after dinner swimming.

On the way down we stopped at the lewis ginter botanical garden about 3:30 ish in richmond va. My kids loved it. There is a childrens garden with a splash pad for the kids to get good and wet ( i knew in advance and had extra clothes), and a nice butterfly exhibit. We were there for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total- just did the butterflies and kids area plus the beautiful gift shop. (aaa discount avail) Then we drove on to nc and stopped for the night. Its about 5 hrs the next day.

The next day we stopped for lunch at a restaurant in south carolina - red bone alley. We were there just at 12. A little earlier may be better as there were already a lot of people - look at it on line. It took a little more time than i woul have liked but food was good and kids loved it.

Next time i may try to get to fayetteville and stop there.
Thank you for all the detailed tips. You have been a tremendous help. Feels like a have a travel agent helping me with planning this trip for next year.
What did you do for the drive home, same stops or drive straight through?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #37
missycj96
DIS Veteran

We did't get on the road from HHI until almost noon. We made an unfortunate stop at south of the border on he way home. I remembered it from when I was little - well it was pretty much a ghost town - to the point it was odd. So we had a quick not too great lunch and got back on the road. (I can't even close to recommend stopping there).

I had wanted to stop at Fascinate-U Childrens Museum (exit 52) in Fayetteville NC but the timing didn't work out as it closes at 5. I found it in Kids love I-95 (bought on amazon) and looked at it online and thought it looked great for my little girls. We drove a lot and stopped for the night outside DC at another country inn and suites. Next time I am going to try to stop there.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #38
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96
We did't get on the road from HHI until almost noon. We made an unfortunate stop at south of the border on he way home. I remembered it from when I was little - well it was pretty much a ghost town - to the point it was odd. So we had a quick not too great lunch and got back on the road. (I can't even close to recommend stopping there).

I had wanted to stop at Fascinate-U Childrens Museum (exit 52) in Fayetteville NC but the timing didn't work out as it closes at 5. I found it in Kids love I-95 (bought on amazon) and looked at it online and thought it looked great for my little girls. We drove a lot and stopped for the night outside DC at another country inn and suites. Next time I am going to try to stop there.
I will have to look at getting that book. Sounds like a lot of great info in it. I never thought of a dc stop along the way. Any other stops or tips to pass along?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: