Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Discovery Cove in January

I know it all depends on the weather front at the time, but am I crazy to schedule a Discovery Cove day with Dolphin Swim in January?
steves1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
claire_ont
Mouseketeer

This will be our third time doing it in Dec. The first time we froze, the second time was hot, this time???? The wetsuits work well when it is cold as long as you are in the water. Discovery Cove is amazing regardless of the weather.

Claire

claire_ont is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire_ont
This will be our third time doing it in Dec. The first time we froze, the second time was hot, this time???? The wetsuits work well when it is cold as long as you are in the water. Discovery Cove is amazing regardless of the weather.

Claire
Thanks Claire! I've read reviews and can't. Believe I havent heard of DC before this trip! Looking forward to it!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We visited DC on New Years Day this year. It was amazing. You can check out my trip report for pics and a write up:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864779

The wet suits will help keep you warm. And the water is heated.....some areas of the park more than others.....so you should be okay. The lazy river, in particular, was awesome. Must have been almost 90 degrees in there (it was like bath water).

We are headed back to DC at the end of this month, and are actually more worried about our August visit than our January one. I would rather fret about the possibility of some cool weather than the effects of a thunderstorm or hurricane!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Gina thanks so much, I feel so much better now! I'll be reading your trip report now :-)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I did it last January and it was cold in the morning, and chilly in the afternoon when we were out of the water but it wasn't something that would have kept me from doing it. If I would have changed something I would have thought to bring an old long sleeve or lightweight sweatshirt from home just to throw on while I was out of the water.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Thanks Lock! Good advice!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1019 View Post
I know it all depends on the weather front at the time, but am I crazy to schedule a Discovery Cove day with Dolphin Swim in January?
We've enjoyed the swim in the summer months, early December but mostly in October...when we had the coolest 'air' temperature on any trip.

It's never seemed particularly windy in DC, probably because of the way the foiliage surrounds the park so you don't have to worry about a strong wind-chill. I suggest to pick a spot to set up camp in a sunny spot and wear the partial wetsuit.

the dolphin water always feels cold to mebut you get used to it quickly.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Thanks Keisha! We'll look for some of that FL sun!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
redoschi
Mouseketeer

I wasn't planning on Discovery Cove for our next trip in January, but after we dismissed LegoLand as we're all adults, I thought to include either a 3rd day at Universal/IoA or a day at Discovery Cove.

Great to know that with the wetsuits you don't mind the chill very much and that there is little wind in the park.

Do you know if someone can change the date of their DC reservation in case we find out a certain day will be warmer? (I'm thinking of Friday Jan 25th, but could go any day over that weekend 25-28th).

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
My ongoing TR for our Jan-Feb 2013 trip
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies
October 1998 - Off-site December 1994 - Off-site December 1989 - Off-site

WDW Commando Member #215
redoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoschi View Post
Do you know if someone can change the date of their DC reservation in case we find out a certain day will be warmer? (I'm thinking of Friday Jan 25th, but could go any day over that weekend 25-28th).
From the DC website:

Changing or canceling a reservation
At Discovery Cove, we recognize that vacation plans sometimes change. To accommodate this, we will allow one complimentary date change prior to your visit. Further changes to your itinerary will be provided for a nominal charge of $50 per change. If you need to reschedule your Discovery Cove visit, one complimentary date change is allowed, pending availability. Bookings made within 3 days of original reservation date will be booked at the original rate. Bookings made outside of that time will be subject to change based on seasonal rates for the new date chosen.

Please note: If you decide to cancel your Discovery Cove reservation within 30 days of your visit there is no refund. If the cancellation notice is provided more than 30 days from arrival, you will receive a full 100% refund. If you have to change or cancel your reservation, please contact the Discovery Cove reservations center at 1-877-557-7404. International guests, please call 001 (407) 370-1280.

Hope that helps .

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Hope that helps .
It sure does! Now I'm just analyzing our budget to see if I can fit DC into it.

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
My ongoing TR for our Jan-Feb 2013 trip
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies
October 1998 - Off-site December 1994 - Off-site December 1989 - Off-site

WDW Commando Member #215
redoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoschi

It sure does! Now I'm just analyzing our budget to see if I can fit DC into it.
Remember that it's all inclusive, food/drink/sunblock etc... And if you were going to Sea World your DC admission covers 14 consecutive days of access! That's how I rationalized the cost.
Great thought on weather watching! We too can be flexible, so I'll be weather watching come January.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

We went last December and it was the coldest day of our trip (around 55-60 degrees) and it was raining. We did the dolphin swim and it took a few minutes to get used to the water (as well as the Grand Reef), but the water in Serenity Bay and the Windaway River was SO warm . I just floated around there most of the time! And they do have heat lamps around the eating areas so that helped (although the sun had started to come out by lunch time). To be honest, except when we first got into the water at the dolphin swim and the Grand Reef, I don't really remember ever being cold.

We're getting married there this December so I'm crossing my fingers and toes that the weather is decent! Otherwise our guests may leave after the ceremony and find a warm way to spend their day .
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
We're getting married there this December so I'm crossing my fingers and toes that the weather is decent! Otherwise our guests may leave after the ceremony and find a warm way to spend their day .
Wow.....how awesome! What a wonderful place to tie the knot!

Tags
cold, discovery cover, january

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: