Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igk View Post
Good to hear it. Shame the Mobile Magic Android app isn't available to UK users. Hopefully it will be soon...
The Mobile Magic App is being replaced soon, it's presumed to be part of the integration of some of the next-gen features the parks are trying out, so hopefully the new one will be available worldwide and not just in the US

All of the fastpass attractions in MK are starting to gain extra kiosks similar to those from the Fastpass+ experiments earlier in the year.......
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
ben1993
DIS Veteran

The new "My Disney Experience" app is available to download now by the way, was browsing through it last night, the dining booking feature looks great
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
luke
Señor Mejor

The 'My Disney Experience' app is now out for iOS which I assume is the replacement for Mobile Magic as its very very similar

Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
tinks_1989
need a like button

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurf
I feared it would happen ... worst news ever.

People are already glued to their phones, texting, facebooking, tweeting, and stuff ... now we're getting wireless internet at the parks ...

I know some people will find it convinient ... I sure do understand that updating one's FB status to "got a blister on my left foot" with a picture of said foot, is an absolute emergency and can not be delayed until the evening.

I know it's another step on the road to progress, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
Couldn't agree more! We don't even think about social networks or even looking at our phones apart from every other day checking family back home are ok!

We were on the bus to Epcot on our last night of our honeymoon and the man in front of us was on his phone the entire time talking about the football he was missing and his wife/girlfriend just sat there! What a holiday

What ever is at home can wait in my opinion!
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
ben1993
DIS Veteran

Deffinitely won't use it to social network! But looking at the new My Disney Experience app, it could be really useful, lists all show times and line times, and tells you where character meets are right now as well as being able to make inning reservations really easily on the app
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

I'll use it for the wait time apps only, no social networking for me. I'll be too busy taking pictures and being a proper shutterbug for that lol
Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
cliveywolves
DIS Veteran

This is great news re wifi in the parks, with the disney apps will be a treat.. But must agree also I do prefer to try and forget facebook, email and the daily Internet usage while on my holidays..

1st Trip May 2009 Pop Century - 2nd Trip August 2010 All Stars Music - 3rd Trip August 2011 All Stars Movies - 4th Trip August 2012 All Stars Music - 5th Trip August 2014 Art of Animation
cliveywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post
We're confiscating our nieces Blackberry's whilst we're there, and replacing them with cheap $20 pay as you go phones - with no internet usage!

Whilst I'm sure I would find it handy to have at some point, I sort of like the idea of switching off from the outside world for a couple of weeks and being Facebook less!

xxx
I guess this is where we are all different. I have just bought my DD a smart phone so that we will have it in time for when we go. We are not going to spend much if any time at all on Facebook there as we have better things to do. But being away from our family for 3 weeks it allows us to share a little of our Disney experience with them 'live' once in a while.

I know what suits us. I really don't give a hoot whether other people spend all their park time social networking. It works in my favor if it slows them down getting to join queues for rides
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Any techies here? Me, my son and DH all have i phones on contract. If we disable data roaming and cellular network in the settings, will we be safe to access the free wi-fi in the MK and our hotel without risking running up huge charges on our bills? I really don't understand that type of thing, but I would love to be able to access the Disney apps in the park and also catch up with friends via Face book in the evening. Probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby
Any techies here? Me, my son and DH all have i phones on contract. If we disable data roaming and cellular network in the settings, will we be safe to access the free wi-fi in the MK and our hotel without risking running up huge charges on our bills? I really don't understand that type of thing, but I would love to be able to access the Disney apps in the park and also catch up with friends via Face book in the evening. Probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer.
You'll be fine. You can even put your phones onto airplane mode then switch the wifi only back on to be sure (making the phones basically like iPod touch) to not use any 'billable data'

Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
You'll be fine. You can even put your phones onto airplane mode then switch the wifi only back on to be sure (making the phones basically like iPod touch) to not use any 'billable data'

That's true. If your network connection is switched off they can't bill you. You can only operate the phone through wifi (if connected). It's the networks that slap you with the bills. Network off, data while roaming off (just to be safe) and wifi on. The only thing you can't do is call and text when setting your phone like that, but with all the various apps available, you really don't need them

Just make sure you always lock the screen/keypad .... Last year my little purse got caught underneath a heavy camera bag and managed to send 64 text messages with a single letter "P" to the first UK number in my address book on our first day
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies
Just make sure you always lock the screen/keypad .... Last year my little purse got caught underneath a heavy camera bag and managed to send 64 text messages with a single letter "P" to the first UK number in my address book on our first day
Brilliant! But you were furious when you found out...
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
That's true. If your network connection is switched off they can't bill you. You can only operate the phone through wifi (if connected). It's the networks that slap you with the bills. Network off, data while roaming off (just to be safe) and wifi on. The only thing you can't do is call and text when setting your phone like that, but with all the various apps available, you really don't need them

Or if it's an Android phone, just pop the SIM out, the phone will still run happily without, just on wifi only.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestevied View Post
Brilliant! But you were furious when you found out...
How did you know?

I had placed a limit of £25 over and above my monthly tariff fee on my phone before we went away thinking I could just manually make additional payments online in the unlikely event that I needed it .... I found out a few hours later when I got an automated message from my network provider advising me that I had reached my limit
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsie24 View Post
I think it's a great thing.

Will make keeping in touch easier.

But the main bonus is I love the wait time apps and it was a bummer last trip only being able to check the times from our room.

This way if we're in line for a ride I'll be able to check what other rides/parks are like and tour much more efficiently!!

I'm not one to have my phone out loads in public. But if I had a long wait (for a show or a ride say) or maybe we were sitting in the shade having a drink, it'd be very handy to check an app to help with the trip.

It won't make a difference to the vast majority of guests as their 3G will always have worked in park - so I don't think people moaning that it means people will be looking at phones more etc will really notice a difference at all.

But for us European visitors who want to use to apps to help get more out of our trip it'll be great. Also I'd have been very dissappointed if the next gen stuff only worked on smart phones with a connection and I couldn't use it without racking up a huge roaming bill.

what's a good wait times app?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: