Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #76
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

actually DH and i were just laughing about it - DD and DSIL spent so much money buying rain and cold weather clothing that it's lucky it's so cold and rainy - it wasn't a waste of money!!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #77
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Day 4: Saint John

Again, those THRUSTERS or whatever they are! It was about 6 am, and we were docking in Saint John! Uy. Anyway, I turned over and slept until 8:30. We were planning to have a leisurely morning, with no specific plan until around noon. DH had been up with the dawn and enjoyed seeing the docking process. He said it was totally fogged in and he didn't even see land until they were right up at the dock! And guess what- those thrusters didn't bother him at all! So breakfast – we hung out at an outside table at Topsiders, and one by one the kids drifted up.

By the time we got off the boat at about 10:30, there were no more roses or lapel pins being handed out. However, the volunteers where still around and very welcoming and friendly! We picked up a map from one and asked some questions, then headed out of the "welcome tent" and walked toward town. We were docked at Long Wharf, as another ship was docked at the main passenger terminal. Some CM referred to that other ship as a floating tennis shoe.

It does sort of look like one!. Anyway, the dock was fine because the important places where right between the two ships. About a 10 minute stroll from the ship we got to Market Square. This is an indoor shopping area which is also the home of a public library and a museum. And, of TIM HORTONS!

In case you were wondering: 10 Tim Bits for $2. All of the places took American dollars, some gave change in American and some in Canadian currency. I found the shop owners very friendly and eager to please! Picked up some magnets, and DD15 found keychains with "Ugs" boots which she bought for her friends. Whatever… At the museum gift shop they had pre-stamped postcards. I thought that was neat, but I hadn't brought any addresses with me so I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to write and send. All around the area there were these life-sized statues. Plus at least 2 moose that we found requiring a photo stop.

Due to some internet/iPod related inter-teen conflict, we had some mood issues going on at this point. We moved across to the Barbour General Store which is essentially a tourist site for buying local tea, etc. You can get a free cup of tea to taste, though. And, in the very back is a room with checker boards!

Just beyond Barbour, if you make a right on Prince William Street, there is a very cute street with some good stores. A cupcake store (Piece O'Cake), Java Moose coffee shop, and an olive oil and balsamic vinegar shop.

Our jet boat ride was scheduled for 1pm and they said to arrive 30 minutes ahead of time. We found the bus stop for the bus to the Reversing Falls (thanks to a volunteer lady!) but in the end a cab came first and we took that. It was around $12 for the 6 of us which we thought was fair.
Upon arriving at the park, we easily found the site for the boat rides. We checked in and then hung out at the picnic tables on site. There was good shade and ample picnic table space, and wireless internet OH JOY!!! A cute "guard dog" named Pirate. We watched one group get ready for their ride, and another come back all wet and happy, and our excitement started to build. After a short wait our tickets were called and we were given our instructions,

then suited up in yellow rain gear. "Rain gear," laughed the owner (who seemed to enjoy himself immensely!), "is for RAIN!"( i.e. you're gonna get wet anyway!)

Let's just say that it HELPED, but we did still get wet. We boarded the boat barefoot or in socks provided. It was a wildly fun ride! We raced, spun, did dips and splashes. We saw birds and a seal. We tasted salt water and fresh water. We saw the small rapids of the reversing tides. We heard some history and waved to lots of people on shore. Absolutely a blast!

When we got back to the dock we padded up to the changing area and took off our RAIN gear. Then we used the changing rooms to put on dry clothes. We needed to change everything down to the skin! Then there was complimentary hot cocoa and coffee offered. It was truly a fun time!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-29-2012 at 08:43 AM.
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #78
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Saint John looks like a lovely city!!!

you know, i thought that the canada cruise would be boring, but it looks like a lot of fun!!! i think i'd prefer it to the Caribean!!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #79
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

I am really enjoying your report - especially your son's magic moment doing headstands with Mickey is priceless, thank you for showing us those great photos!

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)
2015: Eastbound Transatlantic (Magic, 15 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #80
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
Saint John looks like a lovely city!!!

you know, i thought that the canada cruise would be boring, but it looks like a lot of fun!!! i think i'd prefer it to the Caribean!!
Both port cities were very lovely! Really a treat! And the weather - for me it was IDEAL. I don't do well in humidity! Though one day I'd like to see the Carribean, too...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
I am really enjoying your report - especially your son's magic moment doing headstands with Mickey is priceless, thank you for showing us those great photos!
I'm glad you're enjoying it! That Magical Moment was precious. Unexpected. And we'll remember it FOREVER!

!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #81
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

So this boat sounds like something you would get sea sick in...right. Kind of wild? I wish I didn't have that problem, but small boats do it to me now in my old age.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #82
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
So this boat sounds like something you would get sea sick in...right. Kind of wild? I wish I didn't have that problem, but small boats do it to me now in my old age.
Maybe others will have a different perspective, but it was surprisingly good in that area! I was worried because I have some bad memories of a small boat tour in Hawaii when I was "young".... so I took Bonine for the first 2 days, then stopped and never had a problem. No one in my family had a problem, and I didn't see anyone looking "green"! Our first night and sea day were quite choppy, too - so it seems it was ok! Even for a "small" ship!!!!

!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #83
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow, your excursion sounds like a blast!!!!

Quote:
Due to some internet/iPod related inter-teen conflict,
And this is just a wonderful description - I knew immediately what was going on.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #84
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Wow, your excursion sounds like a blast!!!!

And this is just a wonderful description - I knew immediately what was going on.
Who ME, airing our dirty laundry and embarrassing my teens online? NEVER!!!! It passed.... and is just part of the memories of a great day in Saint John!!

!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #85
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Sidebar: DESSERT!

It's time for ... NAME THAT DESSERT!!!! (Or sweet/candy/treat...)!

The kids had a rule that you couldn't eat your dessert before it got photographed. But I don't really remember the names of all of them! Here's a photo log of most of the yummy things we/they ate on this amazing trip (music in background, "Toot Sweet ..." :

OK, now time to wipe off your keyboards!!!!!!
Anyone want to label any of the MDR desserts for us?

!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #86
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I know that first one was some sort of chocolate pie that they gave our for celebrations. We had one too and it was GOOD!!!

I do love the Disney chocolate chip cookies too.....
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #87
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Did I really let a whole week go by without finishing Saint John day? Bad me! Let's fix that fast!

So by the time we were done at the Jet Boat ride it was almost 2pm. We took another cab back to the ship, and walked the kids through security. They'd had it and just wanted food and ship. Like a young carefree couple, DH and I wandered back into town. All aboard was only at 5pm and we wanted some more time! I used my time just to wander the shops on my own. There was also an outdoor crafts market that I wanted to see. DH headed up into town and found the Jewish Museum.(If we really were a young couple we'd have stayed together; seeing as how we're celebrating 20 years, we knew enough to split up and each see what he/she really wanted to see!). He enjoyed seeing more of the city in his wanderings. He wandered a lot because the museum's address on our map was an old address and when he found that out, he had to walk in the other direction to its new site!

We agreed to meet up back on the ship. Yes, I reminded him of sailaway time, and not to cut it close!(I've learned a thing or two over these 20 years)

Back on board, I got some turkey wraps and salad at Goofy's Galley. The kids had gone for burgers again, and were enjoying the pool and the Jacuzzi. After a sunny day it was actually starting to cloud up. At 5:20 we were sailing away. Yes, DH was onboard! BYE SAINT JOHN! Hope to come back to visit you again!

This was a busy day for FE gifts, as tonight was Pirate Night! The kids really liked the pirate accessories from the FE eye patch and bracelets and mini-spyglass. We donned our grey pirate shirts.

The shirts were not EXACTLY what I had envisioned as I forgot that the background would be white. If I could have done it again I would have used the DISsign with the parchment background and avoided the white. But I made the most of it and the kids didn't seem to mind! (in fact DD15 still wears it all the time - go figure!). All that was missing was some clip earrings! Great dinner, fun pirate theme and limbo party. DH and Nishank (Asst. server ) had a running joke about the cute CM photographer, DH kept asking her to come over to take our picture so that Nishank could flirt with her!

After dinner the girls went to the Vibe to sign up for "Gotcha", a Disney-fied version of "Killer". I was skeptical but it was fine. They had to make a spoon out of paper and use that to "get" their target. Everyone but me went to see "Avengers". I headed to the teak deck chairs on Deck 4 and photographed the late sunset!

Enjoyed chatting with the few other adults with me for the sunset. The water was peaceful, the ride smooth. Tomorrow was a Sea Day. No complaints from me!

!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #89
StephandDick
Mouseketeer

Love your report! Was there a good selection of shops in Saint John? We are not planning any excursions but I like to shop lol!

Stephanie
Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #90
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
nice day. I like your shirts...I think they look fine.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandDick View Post
Love your report! Was there a good selection of shops in Saint John? We are not planning any excursions but I like to shop lol!

Stephanie
I also enjoying browsing/shopping! There are good options in Saint John! As you get off the ship there is a marketplace set up right there with quite a nice selection of mini-stores. About a 5 minute walk along the harborside is Market Square, with a bunch of small stores and a nice museum shop at the New Brunswick Museum. Also, in a small square right outside Market Square by the Barbour General Store we found an outdoor crafts market! There are 2 places I didn't get to but maybe you will: Brunswick Square is a "shopping mall" just a block or two up King Street, and Old City Market is an indoor farmer's market and craft market just a bit further up the hill. Happy Shopping!

On a separate note, guess what I found in my Inbox this past Thursday? A coupon from Travelzoo for a free 8x8 20 page photobook from Shutterfly! Isn't that great timing?!!

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 08-13-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: