Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
Laundress
Mouseketeer

Thank you for doing this list. We are thinking of doing Alaska in 2014 (hopefully they do it) Love your tips and all the add ons too.

Laundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
SoSiWe
Mouseketeer

I loved your post....I guess what really caught my eye was that you don't have $1.00 bills in Canada. I did not know that.

We are hoping to sail to Alaska soon and this was helpful!
thnx

Mom Dad DS(15) DS(10)
SoSiWe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #33
owensjro
DIS Veteran

I believe Subway uses folding cardboard drink carriers which fit nicely in luggage. A lot of the fast food places use pre-formed containers which may not work if you are running out of room.

We used them on our last cruise and it was great. Only 3 in our family but it still came in very handy when I had to carry drinks and snacks!

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #34
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laundress View Post
Thank you for doing this list. We are thinking of doing Alaska in 2014 (hopefully they do it) Love your tips and all the add ons too.

Just an FYI...
We were told that Disney is not returning to Alaska in 2014.....
On the Magic, in March, both the booking agent that booked the cruise for us and different crew members( our servers, stateroom host and staff from cafe cove) all recited the same response to us when when we told them we booked Alaska for aug. 2013....
"oh you got in just in time! That is Disney's last year in Alaska"
So, again, not 100% sure, but that is what we were told.
So you might want to look at booking next year.....

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
mgmcpa
Disneyland Lover

Just got back from the July 23rd week Alaska cruise ... my biggest surprises (as someone who read all the threads on here for months):

#1 - Tracy Arm day
Despite having a sold out ship and the first sunny day on Tracy Arm all season, there was no issue at all getting a spot on the rail on Deck 4 at 3pm (as we pulled up to the glacier). We have a 6 year-old and had made the decision that we couldn't camp out all day for this and would just hope for a glimpse ... nope, we walked out on Deck 4 and got a great spot immediately. Took photos with Minnie & Donald, enjoyed the sights, went in for awhile to go a princess tea, then returned at 4:30pm and got the good rail spot again.

I'm so happy we didn't spend an extra $2k for a veranda for this day, there were tons of free, great spots on Deck 4!

#2 - Clear Plastic Shoe Holder
That really was awesome. I thought I'd be a bit overboard with this, but honest, the bathrooms are so tiny that you don't want to have all the medicines, brushes, make-up, etc everywhere. With this shoe holder hanging on the door (we hung it into the hallway outside the bathroom), everything was easy to find and there was very little chaos in getting ready.

#3 - Clock was horrible
We had a digital clock with an iPad docking station that came with our room. What a hunk of junk. Couldn't get the time to change (and I'm not bad at this sort of thing) on the 2 time change days and had to call maintenance. Didn't glow at night. If you need a clock, bring your own.

#4 - See the Salmon Run
If you are lucky enough to visit in July/Aug when the salmon are running, visit the hatchery in Juneau. It's a $12 cab ride from the port, admission is $4 a person. INCREDIBLE and CHEAP

#5 - Palo - skip dinner, go to the brunch
Brunch is incredible! Dinner is like going to any fancy restaurant back home ... go to brunch! We went at 11am and at 1pm when we were ready to leave they kept insisting we stay and relax longer, watching humpback whales out the window.
mgmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #36
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
Just an FYI...
We were told that Disney is not returning to Alaska in 2014.....
On the Magic, in March, both the booking agent that booked the cruise for us and different crew members( our servers, stateroom host and staff from cafe cove) all recited the same response to us when when we told them we booked Alaska for aug. 2013....
"oh you got in just in time! That is Disney's last year in Alaska"
So, again, not 100% sure, but that is what we were told.
So you might want to look at booking next year.....
Yeah, that rumor went around about 2012 being the last also. Back in Nov we were booked (incl airfare) for a trip to California this summer and when we heard this would be our last oppportunity to see Alaska on DCL, we quickly switched everything. Unfortunately, SWA had awful returning flight times from SEA, not getting us back to PHL until after midnight with 1st day of school the next day. So we set those credits aside and booked our return flight with another airline. We used the credits to book a long weekend in Houston/Galveston. (dh always wanted to go there). So when it's time to get to bed so we could wake up at 3am for our flight, TS Debby is hanging out in the gulf with all signs pointing toward Houston landfall. Rather than have a crappy, rainy trip, we cancel. But now our credits expire in Nov with just one more short school break in Sept so here we are planning a long weekend in Cali.

Then once we're all psyched to go to Alaska this year, they release 2013 for Alaska.

I've decided I'm not listening to any more rumors.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #37
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2

Yeah, that rumor went around about 2012 being the last also. Back in Nov we were booked (incl airfare) for a trip to California this summer and when we heard this would be our last oppportunity to see Alaska on DCL, we quickly switched everything. .......

Then once we're all psyched to go to Alaska this year, they release 2013 for Alaska.

I've decided I'm not listening to any more rumors.
Spot on. They are just rumors. Sme people don't see a port on th schedule and think it means they are not returning. Just means they have not negotiated port contracts yet. So until they announce all the ports for a give year, don't fret!

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, experience, hints, secrets, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: