Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #76
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Only a few more days! Hope you have a fantastic trip! Looking forward to reading all about it. All the pics in the practice post look great.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #77
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
And may I congratulate you on unraveling another mysterious part of Mr. DDW - living in Westchester/Philly! Congrats on getting your Mickey mail and your upcoming nite at Contemporary. I love, love, love, that place (well, that and BLT where we typically stay.) and you are soo right, the castle lights never go out.

BTW: I loved the backstory for Chef Mickey's as the first dinner in WDW! I absolutely agree - it is not the food that necessarily makes it a wonderful experience. One day we'll have to try it....

You have less that a week to go - how EXCITING!!
Thanks about the congrats re: Mr. DDW. Together we are peeling the onion!

We are sooooo looking forward to our night at the CR. I had stayed there many times in childhood, and I'm excited to finally share the magic that is the CR with my family. We had some extra great fortune this year that made the one-night splurge possible. I never get it when people say it's "cold" and "not well themed"? To each his/her own, more availability for others!

If you decide to try CM's, I recommend it as a first night dinner or full-day breakfast. There's something fantastic about kicking off the trip with it. I'm skeptical about whether it would hold the same charm, even for those of us who love it, anytime later in the trip, if that makes sense.

Our time for preparation is coming to a close and my nerves are getting a little jittery...in a good way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreetFireman View Post
Officially known as Westchester County Airport (in county), its call letters are HPN, which stands for White Plains, which it is usually still called by many.

When I first flew out of HPN, it was a quonset hut, literally, that held 2 dozen people at most. This building was where you checked in and claimed baggage, often simultaneously; so you know what kind of chaos that was like.

Now it is an efficient airport that also, did I mention, has pretty affordable DIRECT flights to Orlando. Perfect.
Wahoo! LOVE this airport!

Quote:
Aha! Then I've been there many times - years ago! I have a funny story of the first time I flew there and how naive I can be. Back in the day when they had phones against a wall (no booths) and I was calling my DH letting him know I had made it safe to NY. Apparently I didn't communicate my travel plans well because he asked "Who did you travel with this time?" I replied for all to hear, "Oh, I traveled alone this time, I'm here all by myself." He could have killed me. He said look around you and see how many people just picked out their next vicitim!!! Happy to say that I didn't get mugged or otherwise accosted.
So funny, the reputation New York has outside of the metropolitan area. We travel upstate quite a bit, and people we meet are always in awe that we chose to raise our kids so close to that crime infested pit, NYC. I guess it earned its bad name years ago, but now it is a very safe city...well, comparatively. Bad things can happen anywhere (Colorado, for example), and airports are especially dangerous. It's hard to imagine anyone getting mugged or accosted at HPN, of all places. I'm sure it has happened, but I'd bet it happens more at Raleigh or Houston!

Our DD will be moving into a dorm in the heart of Manhattan in a few weeks, and I keep reminding her that she shouldn't walk from the library to her room at 2am alone (I would do that even if she were going to the University of Delaware, or Michigan, or Stanford)...Otherwise, I hope she is bold enough to take advantage of all the wonderful culture the city has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappermont View Post
I'm in! Have a great trip!
Welcome! Thanks for joining! Nice to see you on the dining boards again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
I'm in! I love your rating system and I can't wait to read your reviews. A night at CR with a Magic Kingdom view sounds like heaven.
Helloooo!! Thanks for joining in from Canada! I can't believe that in less than 3 days we will be in heaven on earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Slowly but surely, my entire life story is unfolding on this site. Westchester Airport is great. It doesn't offer flights to many places (that's why we have JFK ), but for a direct flight to Orlando on JetBlue, nothing beats it.
unfolding...like an onion...

I haven't been out to JFK in a long time (though Belle was there in June for a flight to New Orleans). If we need to fly somewhere not served by HPN, we usually opt for either LaGuardia or Newark. Isn't this the best place on earth in which to live? "Hmmmm, let's see...which of these 4 airports should we choose this trip?" How spoiled are we!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
Photos look great! August is JUST about here. Can't wait to follow your live trip report
Thanks! One of my goals on my live trip report is for it to include an entry about meeting jennyf2 at the Poly! Safe travels to your family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Only a few more days! Hope you have a fantastic trip! Looking forward to reading all about it. All the pics in the practice post look great.
Thanks about the pics! I'm so glad you're here, and I hope you enjoy my report as much as I enjoyed yours!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #78
PirateRachel
Earning My Ears

How exciting, I can't wait to read your reviews, have a great trip!

off site as a child at Grandma and Granddad's house
2001- first trip with Dd off site 2002- off site with extended family 2003- WL and off site with whole bunch of family 2005- AKL even more family 2006- Poly 2008- Poly with bestfriend and new baby boy 2008- off site Christmas time, yuck!! 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011-TBA!!!
PirateRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #79
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
So funny, the reputation New York has outside of the metropolitan area. We travel upstate quite a bit, and people we meet are always in awe that we chose to raise our kids so close to that crime infested pit, NYC. I guess it earned its bad name years ago, but now it is a very safe city...well, comparatively. Bad things can happen anywhere (Colorado, for example), and airports are especially dangerous. It's hard to imagine anyone getting mugged or accosted at HPN, of all places. I'm sure it has happened, but I'd bet it happens more at Raleigh or Houston!
I think it's also funny that when you say you're from NY everyone thinks of Manhattan! I grew up on LI so I am as much a tourist in the city as the guy who just flew in from Kansas! I just sound a lot more like the locals!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #80
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
I think it's also funny that when you say you're from NY everyone thinks of Manhattan! I grew up on LI so I am as much a tourist in the city as the guy who just flew in from Kansas! I just sound a lot more like the locals!
That, and the people who call Westchester County "upstate New York". I always ask: "You do know that it is directly adjacent to the Bronx, which is part of NYC, right?" Drives friends from the Adirondack's (REAL upstate) crazy...

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #81
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't know about the city or I try to explain that each area is so incredibly different that it's almost like going into different states!

Then again I don't know much about Atlanta either and I now live in the suburbs of that! Maybe I'm just not a city girl!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #82
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Wow! Your trip is approaching! Have fun! Can't wait to read your reviews!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #83
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRachel View Post
How exciting, I can't wait to read your reviews, have a great trip!
Thank you so much, and welcome!!

Quote:
DH and I grew up on Staten Island. We probably sound like you. Are you starting to blend your NY accent with a southern drawl, yet?

Quote:
People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't know about the city or I try to explain that each area is so incredibly different that it's almost like going into different states!

Then again I don't know much about Atlanta either and I now live in the suburbs of that! Maybe I'm just not a city girl!
We actually spend a considerable amount of time in the city, and we often wish we lived there. We will be living there vicariously through Belle, as she will be living in what we consider the VERY BEST of all NYC neighborhoods, right between the East and West Village. You're right about the difference between the city and the areas around it! So night and day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
Wow! Your trip is approaching! Have fun! Can't wait to read your reviews!
WE LEAVE TOMORROW!!!! Thanks for reading!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #84
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We leave tomorrow!!

I started my LIVE TRIP REPORT over on the Countdowns and Live Reports Board. It's also linked in my signature. Please join me, if you're interested!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #85
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Have a WONDERFUL Trip!!!! I see you have a Live report started - how exciting!!! I'm heading that way now.

Enjoy your Chef Mickey's!! I completely understand your explanation of eating at CM early in the trip - especially if it is a tradition and makes it feel like the vacation has really begun!

Speaking of NY locales...My DH lived in Long Island for a time years ago and was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB in the early 80s.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #86
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Just checked out your live report - can't wait to read it, and once again have a great trip!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #87
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Safe Travels! Have a WONDERFUL trip!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #88
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Have a wonderful trip!!!
And as for my accent...I do say y'all but I also have a Dawg!! I have a friend who calls us Southern New Yorkers!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #89
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of NY locales...My DH lived in Long Island for a time years ago and was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB in the early 80s.
What part of LI Brenda?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #90
sushi candy
Foodie

Have a wonderful trip!!!
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: