Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #991
ctomblin
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great tips!

ctomblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #992
mgmcpa
Disneyland Lover

Just got back from the July 23rd week Alaska cruise ... my biggest surprises (as someone who read all the threads on here for months):

#1 - Tracy Arm day
Despite having a sold out ship and the first sunny day on Tracy Arm all season, there was no issue at all getting a spot on the rail on Deck 4 at 3pm (as we pulled up to the glacier). We have a 6 year-old and had made the decision that we couldn't camp out all day for this and would just hope for a glimpse ... nope, we walked out on Deck 4 and got a great spot immediately. Took photos with Minnie & Donald, enjoyed the sights, went in for awhile to go a princess tea, then returned at 4:30pm and got the good rail spot again.

I'm so happy we didn't spend an extra $2k for a veranda for this day, there were tons of free, great spots on Deck 4!

#2 - Clear Plastic Shoe Holder
That really was awesome. I thought I'd be a bit overboard with this, but honest, the bathrooms are so tiny that you don't want to have all the medicines, brushes, make-up, etc everywhere. With this shoe holder hanging on the door (we hung it into the hallway outside the bathroom), everything was easy to find and there was very little chaos in getting ready.

#3 - Clock was horrible
We had a digital clock with an iPad docking station that came with our room. What a hunk of junk. Couldn't get the time to change (and I'm not bad at this sort of thing) on the 2 time change days and had to call maintenance. Didn't glow at night. If you need a clock, bring your own.

#4 - Palo - skip dinner, go to the brunch
Brunch is incredible! Dinner is like going to any fancy restaurant back home ... go to brunch! We went at 11am and at 1pm when we were ready to leave they kept insisting we stay and relax longer, watching humpback whales out the window.
mgmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #993
DizDays
DVC & D23 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmcpa View Post
#3 - Clock was horrible
We had a digital clock with an iPad docking station that came with our room. What a hunk of junk. Couldn't get the time to change (and I'm not bad at this sort of thing) on the 2 time change days and had to call maintenance. Didn't glow at night. If you need a clock, bring your own.
We had the same problem, as did our entire dining table. We already have an alarm clock packed for the next cruise. I can't understand why everything else is such good quality (especially the bedding!) but these clocks stink.

Thanks for sharing some great information!

DizDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #994
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL View Post
OK... something not sinking in here. I get doing this on the last night when there is no room service the next morning (although even then, they get you up so early...) but why on other nights? Why not just order it in the morning? No waiting? Or do they only deliver in the morning according to the continental breakfast timeslots and you get up even before the first one?
There are cards in your stateroom that you hang on your door before you turn in for the night. You pick the time that you want the items delivered in the morning. RS calls you about 15 minutes before they are going to deliver your items. If you wait to order in the morning, you will be waiting for your order. This way there is no waiting...and the phone call is used as a wake up call. I like to do this since the clocks in the staterooms are horrible and I don't always remember to set the alarm on my phone esp if there is a time change.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #995
anett
Mouseketeer

Counting the time away so that we can use all these wonderful tips! Thanks
anett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #996
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Order an extra appetizer, have it boxed to take it back to your state room & then give it to your favorite CMs! Seriously, that would make any CM's day.
Can they really accept that? If so, Id bring them a whole meal lol
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #997
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

Can they really accept that? If so, Id bring them a whole meal lol
No they can't accept it. Some will be nice and say thank you then toss it as soon as you are out of sight.

There are huge disciplinary actions if they do according to former CM's who post here on the boards

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #998
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

That's what I thought. Too bad though.

Id love to hear froma current C on if there is anything they do like. Phone cards I get. Candy....Im wondering if they would really eat it.

Im glad to hear that writing about them helps. Ive written in about 2 CMs from the parks who were amazing. I try to remember their names and write about them.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #999
ksbellerma
Earning My Ears

"Originally Posted by ariesmom
Apparently we can Topsiders (is it Beach Blanket on Wonder?) for breakfast buffet option on disembarkation morning."

What is this exactly. Would love to do this with my family. We are first time cruisers and this would be great to do.

Thank you
ksbellerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #1000
erk711
Mouseketeer

Finally made it through 5 years and 5 months worth of posts!! Thanks for all the amazing tips and the compilation with the Google doc!!!

My tip (which I saw elsewhere and plan to use on our first cruise....so excited) is to use a zip tie to secure your FE to the fish as there have been some thefts.
Celebrated 25th Anniversary sailing on the Pacific Pixar Cruise Sept 30/12

Last edited by erk711; 08-05-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Just realized I was the 1000th post :)
erk711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #1001
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbellerma
"Originally Posted by ariesmom
Apparently we can Topsiders (is it Beach Blanket on Wonder?) for breakfast buffet option on disembarkation morning."

What is this exactly. Would love to do this with my family. We are first time cruisers and this would be great to do.

Thank you
We eat at the buffet on the last morning instead of the MDR. It's just easier for us and the food seems better. Even though in the dining room you are ordering off a menu, it's very limited and does not taste like its made to order. Also, you can wander up to the buffet when you are ready as opposed to an assigned time.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1002
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

My tip (which I saw elsewhere and plan to use on our first cruise....so excited) is to use a zip tie to secure your FE to the fish as there have been some thefts.[/QUOTE]

We use zip ties as well, but the problem is that the GIFTS are being stolen out of the FE pockets. I saw an FE that was small personalized tote bags that had draw string pockets. That would be harder for someone to snatch stuff out of.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #1003
tammybrownie
Earning My Ears

hot chocolate

Great thread! My mind is overloaded with all the great tips!

I have a question. I have seen the coffee tip several times... order it at night and it will still be warm in the morning. Would this work for hot chocolate too? Do they deliver that in the same kind of container?
tammybrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #1004
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Theft of the FEs were common on our cruise as well. We ended up tracking down the room stewards and giving them the FE gifts and place them inside the cabin on the bed when they were done cleaning. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #1005
Codie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer
Theft of the FEs were common on our cruise as well. We ended up tracking down the room stewards and giving them the FE gifts and place them inside the cabin on the bed when they were done cleaning. Worked like a charm.
How sad that other cruisers would Do that

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

8 times before 1995, but too young to remember exact dates and hotels--always on property; May 1995--International Drive; May 1996--Wilderness Lodge; May 1998--Offsite RCI; September 1998--Port Orleans; January 1999--Disney's Boardwalk Villas--first DVC trip for one night!; May 1999--Port Orleans and Disney Cruise!; October 1999--Boardwalk Villas; March 2000--Old Key West; February 2001--Old Key West; March 2002--Old Key West; August 2002--Beach Club Villas--post-bar relief; March 2003--Wilderness Villas; August 2003--Beach Club Villas; May 2004--Beach Club Villas; March 2005--Boardwalk Villas (FTW Site Planning Session); May 2005--Wilderness Villas (FTW Wedding Planning Session); September 2005--Boardwalk/BeachClub Villas (FTW Wedding and Honeymoon WP/ADH); January 2006 (two trips)--AKL and BWV; February 2006--Saratoga Springs; August/September 2006 (Honeymoon #2)--Riverside and BCV, and on and on

Wedding and Honeymoon Trip Log can be found at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=910748
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: