Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

San Diego in a day?

Planing to do San Diego in a day.

Hubby and boys want to do USS Midway in the morning. My daughter and I want to do Old Town San Diego. We will then meet for lunch, and do San Diego Zoo in the afternoon and early evening. Finally, we will end up at Sunset Cliffs to watch the sunset.

Does this seem do-able?
Is there enough to do in Old Town San Diego for about 3-4 hours?
Any other better ideas?

Thx!

june@imsarc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

If you really like shopping, you can probably last in Old Town that long.

You might like the museums in Balboa Park as an alternative or addition.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

SO and I did a 45 minute bus tour of the Gas Lamp district, a 2 hour Hornblower North shore cruise, a 20 minute tour that ended at Old town, (where we went through the whole LDS Missourri mission tour) as well as visited the shops and museums, had a meal and a drink, and was back to the hotel (Manchester Grande Hyatt) by 4:30 (with a $20 taxi fare)
and we walked slow cause we were killing time.

Your plan should be doable.
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by june@imsarc.com View Post
Planing to do San Diego in a day.

Hubby and boys want to do USS Midway in the morning. My daughter and I want to do Old Town San Diego. We will then meet for lunch, and do San Diego Zoo in the afternoon and early evening. Finally, we will end up at Sunset Cliffs to watch the sunset.

Does this seem do-able?
Is there enough to do in Old Town San Diego for about 3-4 hours?
Any other better ideas?

Thx!
As far as the USS MIdway, you might be able to get through that in an hour or two. They do offer walking tours but really, I don't see how you could spend more than an hour there but some people really like museums so I guess that depends on the person.

Old Town is cool but I don't think you'll want to spend 3-4 hours there. It has some cool restaurants and margarita bars and some interesting little shops but if you want to do the museum, zoo, and Sunset Cliffs, I would say that you'll probably be able to skip Old Town. I'd focus on the zoo and of your time because if you want to watch the sunset, you'll obviously need to get out of there before sunset and depending on which day you're planning on doing this, traffic could be a factor.
halfmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
As far as the USS MIdway, you might be able to get through that in an hour or two. They do offer walking tours but really, I don't see how you could spend more than an hour there but some people really like museums so I guess that depends on the person.

Old Town is cool but I don't think you'll want to spend 3-4 hours there. It has some cool restaurants and margarita bars and some interesting little shops but if you want to do the museum, zoo, and Sunset Cliffs, I would say that you'll probably be able to skip Old Town. I'd focus on the zoo and of your time because if you want to watch the sunset, you'll obviously need to get out of there before sunset and depending on which day you're planning on doing this, traffic could be a factor.
If they are history buffs, they will want longer. We were there at least four hours. We left because we were starving and didn't really want to eat there. Plus, my youngest was ready. We did the audio tour - very informative. I am not a history buff, but I enjoyed it.

I think we only spent about 2 hours in Old Town.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Thx! leaving in 2 weeks, so excited!

june@imsarc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Huff
DIS Veteran

The San Diego Zoo is huge! Not the typical zoo where 3 hours is more than enough. Theres plenty to see and do for a full day.

If you are planning on arriving after lunch that would mean 2pm? That might work since sun doesn't go down till 8ish if they're open that late on the day you go. Weekdays are preferred as lines for the bus tour, panda exhibits and sky tram can get quite lengthy by afternoon on weekends otherwise crowds are not a problem.

Plan on meeting up at Old Town for lunch after you and daughter are done shopping. Theres a few very good Mexican restaurants there.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

We were at the zoo from 9:30 until it closed the day we were there and still didn't see everything. I wouldn't want to pay for just a few hours.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA

SD in a day? I would say the zoo. visit beaches (La Jolla or Coronado) second stop. Not sure you can do more than these in a day. I am sure you want to take a breath and shovel in some sunshine.

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

We're heading there in late Sept...best friend is having a wedding party...about 2 months after the actual wedding!! Anyway, we arrive on a Wednesday and leave the following Monday. Have to go to the party on Sat night and a brunch on Sunday...so have lots of free time. We're planning on doing SeaWorld and San Diego Zoo. We'll be staying very close to SW since the party is over in the Mission Bay area..beach cottage. Figure on a full day for each of those two things. Then, maybe hit Old Town on Sunday afternoon. Just don't want to try to squeeze in too much. No way would I plan on less than a full day for either SW or the Zoo..way too much to see and do at each one.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
danicaw
DIS Veteran

We just spent 3 days in San Diego... if you are going to attempt the zoo in a few hours - do the guided bus tour. We did and it gave us a really good start. Then you can walk to see what the tour misses.

On a separate day we did the red and green trolley tour. That lets you hop on and off all day. It stops at several of the places you mentioned... might be an option. It worked well for us. Old Town Trolley Tours, I think.

Have a great time.

danicaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: