Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
bskts4bj
DIS Veteran

I just wish for one weekend at a scrapbook B&B -- there's one less than a mile from my house! In fact, just last weekend, a lady finish 214 (yes, you read that right) pages in ONE WEEKEND!!!

I'll keep dreaming . . . . maybe someday . . . .
bskts4bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

If that's your definition of pathetic then I'll join the club. I've yet to finish ONE Disney vacation album, and I just booked another for next year

Morgan's book, forget it...I don't think I got through her first year and she turned 12 three weeks ago. I have soooooooooooooo many pictures, I'll never ever get through them all.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskts4bj View Post
I just wish for one weekend at a scrapbook B&B -- there's one less than a mile from my house! In fact, just last weekend, a lady finish 214 (yes, you read that right) pages in ONE WEEKEND!!!

I'll keep dreaming . . . . maybe someday . . . .
214 in one weekend? Now THAT'S some scrappin'! I am going to a 3 day crop in October, and hope to get maybe 40 pages (???) done...and a few between now and then. I plan on taking another few hundred photos in November, so I really want to kick it in!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

214?!?!? She must have had everything cut and ready to go.
I think the most I've ever done was 70 in a weekend but I had all my pages kitted and ready.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
fireplug
Keeper of the Flame
Look for me at Margaritaville
D/W is always telling me I have MCS (Middle Child Syndrome) :D
Cyber Uncles can send hugs!

Okay I guess I am not that bad after all! we went to Micheals today and got out of there for UNDER $100 for the first time in a LONG time. I picked up a 4 pack of 12 x 12 plastic paper holders for $14.39 so that was pretty good! Also a scrapbook for our 2010 California trip!

I am hoping that with all this time off I can get a bunch done. Surgery is one week from tomorrow.....

Squid
Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

After watching my neighbors go through 80 years of accumulated memories in preparation for moving, I decided it was time to deal with mine while I still had the energy.

Since he predates scrapbooking (He's 45), my only child's babybook wasn't done, school album wasn't done. Last week I selected my favorite few photos, packaged up all the rest, and shipped them off to HIM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
CopperWife
Mouseketeer

Well, I am glad to see I am in good company with all of you fine ladies.

Slacker scrappers, unite!

me DH DD10 DD7

No ticker for now
CopperWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
mlktwins
Mouseketeer

I don't usually post here (maybe just a couple of times), because I don't feel I have anything useful to add. BUT...I am always checking to see what great new layouts you guys are doing !

I just wanted to add myself to the pathetic list. I have not completed a single page of my 7 year old twins' albums. I have saved up so much stuff to put in them (hospital bracelets, first pictures they colored, etc), have milestones, special events, funny things they've said or done all written in yearly calendars. I am a SAHM and always thought I'd get to their albums when they went off to school. Then DH and I decided to homeschool them. Yep -- no scrapbooking happening here .

To top that off, my 77 year old dad just dumped all the family pictures on me to organize (4 big plastic bins of pictures in the original envelopes they came in). My mom passed away in 2001 and she had never organized or labeled our pictures. My MIL is 85 and she never did an album for DH either. I was just handed a big file folder with his pictures, report cards, etc.

I am so overwhelmed -- I don't even know where to start!!!

I think one of my main problems (other than time to myself) is I procatinate because I want each page to be PERFECT!!! Then I get nervous gluing anything down. Can anyone relate ?!?!?
mlktwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Don't even attempt to scrap your dad's pics!!
I say sort them to the best of your ability. Have him help you identify and label places, people, things. Maybe in the future you can slide them into an album with just sleeves.
Digitally scan the important stuff, weddings, babies, etc. If time allows continue to scan in order of priority.

Same with MIL's stuff.

Then start with the most current things and work backwards.

And don't feel the need to scrap every little thing. I had to learn that lesson!!
And dump the perfection!! That was a hard lesson for me to learn. I had to remember that my books are about my family, our history, not about being on the cover of a scrap magazines.
I came up with a quote a long time ago and it still holds true.

My scrapbooks revolve around my life, my life does not revolve around my scrapbooks.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlktwins View Post
ITo top that off, my 77 year old dad just dumped all the family pictures on me to organize (4 big plastic bins of pictures in the original envelopes they came in). My mom passed away in 2001 and she had never organized or labeled our pictures. My MIL is 85 and she never did an album for DH either. I was just handed a big file folder with his pictures, report cards, etc.

I am so overwhelmed -- I don't even know where to start!!!

I think one of my main problems (other than time to myself) is I procatinate because I want each page to be PERFECT!!! Then I get nervous gluing anything down. Can anyone relate ?!?!?
Start with a coarse sort of your parents photos - that is - his family of origin - her family of origin - and the "joint" family -> meaning them as a couple, you and your sibs. While you are doing that, chuck the 'bad ones' unless they are the only existing photo of someone. By bad, I mean blurry, too dark to see, to bright to see - junk.

Put the resulting piles in zipper bags along with the 4th pile (haven't got a clue who these people are)

Take ONE bag at a time and sort by decade. This too will be a pretty rough sort - after you've got a little organization, then you can maybe gather some info from your dad - if you don't sort it first he'll be like

You can also decide at this point whether these particular photos are of value to you or if they would be better off living with someone else. I just shipped a whole box of photos of my mothers side of the family off to the cousin who is the memory keeper for that side. My son has no interest, and i've already scrapped the stories that I know about my grandparents, aunts and uncles.

That should help get you started Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
laura&fam
we must never, never doubt what no one is sure about

BernardandMissBianca that is how I stopped feeling so overwhelmed and got closer (not there yet) to being caught up.
When my daughter turned 12 I handed her her album that she had just turned 10 in and said "It's all yours"! I felt like a total slacker. Maybe I'll go back someday, but if I don't work on the family album I won't remember anything so no one will have a scrapbook.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
lovingthemouse
You must believe......and then send cold, hard cash!!! ;)
magic is in the heart of the beholder...

Thank heavens for picture sorters - my saving grace!! I am about 3 albums behind ( another procrastinator Squid)and keep having scrapbook vacations or wonderful events that I "have to remember!"
Don't let yourself become overwhelmed - it can be easy, and sometimes you need a break. I have taken one for a month now after completing a 60 pg Disney cruise book, but the WDW Memorial Day one is ready to go!!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
mlktwins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Don't even attempt to scrap your dad's pics!!
I say sort them to the best of your ability. Have him help you identify and label places, people, things. Maybe in the future you can slide them into an album with just sleeves.
Digitally scan the important stuff, weddings, babies, etc. If time allows continue to scan in order of priority.

Same with MIL's stuff.

Then start with the most current things and work backwards.

And don't feel the need to scrap every little thing. I had to learn that lesson!!
And dump the perfection!! That was a hard lesson for me to learn. I had to remember that my books are about my family, our history, not about being on the cover of a scrap magazines.
I came up with a quote a long time ago and it still holds true.

My scrapbooks revolve around my life, my life does not revolve around my scrapbooks.
Thank you for this and I love your quote!!!! I think I'm going to get started on our the boys' Disney albums (we went for our first trip for 2 weeks this past December) while it is most fresh in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Start with a coarse sort of your parents photos - that is - his family of origin - her family of origin - and the "joint" family -> meaning them as a couple, you and your sibs. While you are doing that, chuck the 'bad ones' unless they are the only existing photo of someone. By bad, I mean blurry, too dark to see, to bright to see - junk.

Put the resulting piles in zipper bags along with the 4th pile (haven't got a clue who these people are)

Take ONE bag at a time and sort by decade. This too will be a pretty rough sort - after you've got a little organization, then you can maybe gather some info from your dad - if you don't sort it first he'll be like

You can also decide at this point whether these particular photos are of value to you or if they would be better off living with someone else. I just shipped a whole box of photos of my mothers side of the family off to the cousin who is the memory keeper for that side. My son has no interest, and i've already scrapped the stories that I know about my grandparents, aunts and uncles.

That should help get you started Good Luck.
I am the only one interested at all on my side of the family to get pictures and information in order. My aunt (my mom's sister) is going to give me her pics too (pics of her and my mom growing up) because her daughters are not interested. My sister has no interest in getting anything organized, but would very much love an album is I can get one put together -- years down the road :-).

I think I just need to start doing it and not feel so overwhelmed. Maybe even a 1/2 hour a day in the morning would be a start. I like your system so will give that a try. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!!!
mlktwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
PrincessinTexas
Mouseketeer

I have not even completed my Disney album from the 2007 trip. Half way there. Autograph books have been done for awhile but not the album. Also, my daughter is nearly 11 going into 7th grade and I only have her kindergarten album done. Oh well!!
PrincessinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlktwins View Post
Thank you for this and I love your quote!!!! I think I'm going to get started on our the boys' Disney albums (we went for our first trip for 2 weeks this past December) while it is most fresh in my mind.

I am the only one interested at all on my side of the family to get pictures and information in order. My aunt (my mom's sister) is going to give me her pics too (pics of her and my mom growing up) because her daughters are not interested. My sister has no interest in getting anything organized, but would very much love an album is I can get one put together -- years down the road :-).

I think I just need to start doing it and not feel so overwhelmed. Maybe even a 1/2 hour a day in the morning would be a start. I like your system so will give that a try. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!!!

Squish me and Linda together!!

Purge, sort and prioritize!!

For your disney album, before you even print (if you are digital) figure out your plan. ABC, chronological order, or by park.
This will help you to start laying out a game plan.

Now I have a Mac so I'm able to hide photos in iPhoto so what I do it start hiding the ones I know right away I don't want. Then I take what's left and start sorting them into page layouts which I can do by creating new event folders, I may reduce the number of photos even more at that point.
This way I only print what I need. I can't tell you how much money I have wasted because I had the need to print every photo. I tossed a lot this past month. I kept pics of the kids in case we need them for school projects but I tossed the multiples of the same landscape photo at WDW. We go a lot and have millions of pics.
While sorting your pics have a notebook with you so you can write down funny quotes, title ideas, thoughts etc. This will make journalling go so much faster. Sometimes I forget the details until I see the pics again.

When you get your pics printed, then you can kit your pages to make scrapping faster.
Here is a tutorial that Rebecca did. Most of us who kit, do it this way
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052976

All of this can be done a little a time. But when you sit down to scrap you will speed up the process tenfold.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: