Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #1666
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad

Well, they would tick off the guys. Not sure if would tick off many of the ladies, however.

I wonder if there will be a new Goofy medal as well.
I'm a girl & I'd be ticked! I want Mickey & I'm training my tush off for that...

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #1667
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001

I have a feeling by the time I get to 20 anything short of zombie Walt Disney raised from his cryogenic chamber will not appease me, but that's just me...
I am so with you there....hoping to make it to mile 20....let alone 26.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #1668
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Have you seen this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q26aw...e_gdata_player It might help you visualize the course.
Thanks, I had not seen that. Very nice.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #1669
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHomer View Post
By the time you get to the margaritas in Mexico, you won't have anything left!
You'd be surprised at how long thirsty runners can go. After we made it all the way around, we went back to England for more beer and the fireworks.

John
Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #1670
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

What is the difference between a tempo run and fartleks? Thanks
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #1671
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001

I have a feeling by the time I get to 20 anything short of zombie Walt Disney raised from his cryogenic chamber will not appease me, but that's just me...
LOL

I'm picturing Walt congratulating everyone and Rick from the Walking Dead running up and shooting his head off. DD would be thrilled. She loves zombies.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #1672
APrunner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Tempo runs are longer, and usually run at a "comfortably hard" pace. My tempo runs are about 5 miles right now (not counting warm up and cool down), based on my training plan. Not run at race pace, but not relaxing either.

Fartleks are short bursts of speed. The idea being that you may be doing a 45 minute run, but 1 or 2 minutes of that run are very hard. They differ from intervals in that they are usually unstructured, and usually shorter than what I would typically do on "interval day"

I very rarely do fartleks. My speed days are usually tempo runs, or sturctured interval training. That is just my preference though, there is really nothing wrong with them. Once in a while I will do them at the end of an easy run, just to teach my body how to "kick" at the end.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #1673
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG
http://www.runningahead.com/forums/p...fe07f3657a37e2

Real quick explanations 1. Fartlek is Swedish for "speed play." These are random bursts of speed of random length/duration. It's a fun way of doing some fast running without structure. I used to do it by saying, "I'm gonna run fast for the next three telephone poles" or something like that. These runs help train your body to run fast, but without the pressure of running certain distances, number of reps, or times. 2. Intervals are usually shorter distance fast repetitions, often done on a track. An example would be to run 6x800m with 3 minute recoveries. This means you run 800m fast (at the pace you might run a 5k or faster), then jog 3 minutes really easy to recover. Repeat a total of 6 times. Standard interval distances are 200m, 400m, 800m, 1000m, 1600m. These are "red-line" type workouts which force your body to run under duress. Interval training increases your overall speed, you VO2max (the maximum amount of oxygen your system can uptake -- more is better), but are usually strenuous enough to not be undertaken more than twice a week, and only then after you've developed a mileage base. These are the tune-up you do in the 8~12 weeks prior to a big race, not a year-round type workouts. The longer your target race, typically the longer the interval. Most interval workouts are done at 5k pace or faster. I should note that intervals do not have to always be distance based, nor do all intervals have to be the same length. Examples would be 5 x 3 minutes fast with 3 minute recoveries, or a time based interval like this one, which is one of my favorites. 3. Tempo runs are 20~30 minute runs done at a pace 10~20 seconds per mile slower than your 10k pace. These sustained efforts are done after a mile or two of easy jogging, and are usually followed by a mile or two of cool-down. Thus, a typically tempo run would be 2mi easy warm-up / 20 min TEMPO / 2 mile easy cool-down. These runs help your body tolerate a relatively fast pace for a longer duration -- they are good endurance workouts, and are especially good for 15k and up training.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #1674
McDuck
DIS Veteran

Ever accidentally run more than the training plan called for? We had a 3.5 mile last night. I should mention we had weekend company and had missed two prior training runs. We headed out on a new trail, and checked the mileage we did in the car afterwards. We did over 4 miles, unplanned. And on pace. Whew! I had sore jello legs at the end, but was pretty proud of our "mistake". I guess we just jumped up a week on our training.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #1675
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
Ever accidentally run more than the training plan called for? We had a 3.5 mile last night. I should mention we had weekend company and had missed two prior training runs. We headed out on a new trail, and checked the mileage we did in the car afterwards. We did over 4 miles, unplanned. And on pace. Whew! I had sore jello legs at the end, but was pretty proud of our "mistake". I guess we just jumped up a week on our training.
Sometimes. I don't follow a plan as much as I have weekly mileage goals for myself, and I play around with each run depending on how I feel to get there. My goal this week is 42, so I have fun figuring out different ways to get there. The only thing I almost always do according to plan is my long run, because of how tricky it gets regarding the long run and percentage of your weekly miles. I am a stickler for under 33%.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #1676
KSBelle77
Mouseketeer

Olympics

DH wants to run for his home country for the Rio Olympics. He is 28 now and running about a 8 min/mile I know he needs to get to 4.5 min/mil pace. Any suggestions on how to support him in his training? He is wanting to run the 10,000 Meters.

He also doesn't want me to tell his family and friends. I think he is afraid of failing.

I know he can do it because he keeps improving his pace every race we run.
2012 - 1st Half Marathon, Disney Princess
2012 - Birthday trip and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
2013 - 1st Disney Marathon
2013 - 1st Trip to Disneyland, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Dumbo Dare Challenge
2015 - 1st Dopey Challenge, 2nd Disney Marathon
2015 - Law School Graduation, KS Bar Exam
2015 - 1st Disney Cruise, Fantasy
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #1677
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
I'm a girl & I'd be ticked! I want Mickey & I'm training my tush off for that...
Ditto!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #1678
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBelle77 View Post
DH wants to run for his home country for the Rio Olympics. He is 28 now and running about a 8 min/mile I know he needs to get to 4.5 min/mil pace. Any suggestions on how to support him in his training? He is wanting to run the 10,000 Meters.

He also doesn't want me to tell his family and friends. I think he is afraid of failing.

I know he can do it because he keeps improving his pace every race we run.
No offense, but it's beyond virtually impossible to improve that much. We have local guys who can run about a 5:00 pace now who will never dream of qualifying for the Olympics.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #1679
KSBelle77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

No offense, but it's beyond virtually impossible to improve that much. We have local guys who can run about a 5:00 pace now who will never dream of qualifying for the Olympics.
Thank you for your opinion. I am looking for ways to support and encourage him.
2012 - 1st Half Marathon, Disney Princess
2012 - Birthday trip and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
2013 - 1st Disney Marathon
2013 - 1st Trip to Disneyland, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Dumbo Dare Challenge
2015 - 1st Dopey Challenge, 2nd Disney Marathon
2015 - Law School Graduation, KS Bar Exam
2015 - 1st Disney Cruise, Fantasy
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #1680
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBelle77 View Post
Thank you for your opinion. I am looking for ways to support and encourage him.
If he can sustain an 8 minute mile now for a marathon, he could work on getting a Boston Qualifier, which is a 3:05 marathon at his age, which is a 7:04 pace.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: