Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #871
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

After reading all the rave reviews of the chef's table, I'm kind of bummed I didn't book it. DH and I will be dining for our first time at V&As in a couple of weeks. He has a degree in culinary arts and while he no longer is a chef, he still enjoys his food and talking to others about preperation and ingredients.

Well, it will just give us an excuse to take the kids when they both are 10 (youngest will be 10 in 1 1/2 years). They were really interested in going and due to the age limit, they can not (although they would LOVE it and be so well behaved, I'm not TOO upset it will be a romantic dinner alone with my hubby ).

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #872
lojo
Mouseketeer

Just read entire thread in one sitting - only two issues not yet resolved:

1) DP is not a sports jacket wearing sort of guy - at any event where he is forced into one, it's off at the first opportunity. At a wedding it's on the back of the chair before he even sits in the chair - would that be a faux pas in V&As?

2) A lot of the reviews I've read say it's very quiet (main dining room), with whispers rather than conversation and the very gentle background harp. Without being indelicate about it, my DP is not a quiet eater! Don't get me wrong, his table manners are great but however hard he tries he just cannot eat quietly. It doesn't bother him at all, nor me in restaurants with normal background noise, but in quiet public spaces I'm embarrassed to say it does bother me. I don't want to book and then be cringing instead of enjoying the otherwise wonderful experience.

Thanks in advance.

Disneyland Paris: Dec 12-Dream Castle; May 12-Elysee; Dec 11-New York; Aug 11-Adagio; Dec 10-Sequoia Lodge; Apr 10-Elysee; Nov 09-Sequoia Lodge; Apr 09-Elysee; Apr 08-New York; Dec 07-Dream Castle
Tokyo Disney Resort: Nov 03-Sheraton Grande
WDW: Jan 13-Old Key West & Animal Kingdom; Jan 15-OKW/RPR/AKL

lojo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #873
marshwiggle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojo View Post

1) DP is not a sports jacket wearing sort of guy - at any event where he is forced into one, it's off at the first opportunity. At a wedding it's on the back of the chair before he even sits in the chair - would that be a faux pas in V&As?
In my experience, they will ask that you keep the jacket on while in the main dining room. At the chef's table, you can take it off but will need to put it back on when you go through the dining room (exit, restroom, etc). I don't know how they handle it at QVR.
marshwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #874
sarahgirl
Mouseketeer

I got it...I really got it. Chef's Table on January 19, 2013 for me, myself and I. Can you tell I'm thrilled. I have 3 hours of sleep in me and I have to be to work in 2 hours but I'm thrilled to be spending my birthday there. I was able to book it 190 days (180+10) in advance at exactly 6AM ET online, just for anyone that is looking to do it in the future.

Ok now must now go back to bed and see if I can salvage some sleep.
sarahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #875
Momofthreemen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
I got it...I really got it. Chef's Table on January 19, 2013 for me, myself and I. Can you tell I'm thrilled. I have 3 hours of sleep in me and I have to be to work in 2 hours but I'm thrilled to be spending my birthday there. I was able to book it 190 days (180+10) in advance at exactly 6AM ET online, just for anyone that is looking to do it in the future.

Congratulations!!!! We know how excited you are, we have Chef's Table on August 7, 2012. I feel like a little girl waiting on Santa!!!

Momofthreemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #876
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post

That is so awesome and well worth losing a little sleep! I can't wait to hear about it!
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #877
amberpi
DIS Veteran

1. On a Memorial Day visit we saw someone be asked (politely) to put his jacket back on.

2. I think as long as anyone tried to be quiet, it will be quiet, like if you're not chewing with your mouth open, he'll be fine. That said, the food there is kinda quiet food, not a real way to make eating foie gras (and get it, always get foie gras if its on a menu, ANYWHERE) noisy, ya know?

Have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojo View Post
Just read entire thread in one sitting - only two issues not yet resolved:

2) A lot of the reviews I've read say it's very quiet (main dining room), with whispers rather than conversation and the very gentle background harp. Without being indelicate about it, my DP is not a quiet eater! Don't get me wrong, his table manners are great but however hard he tries he just cannot eat quietly. It doesn't bother him at all, nor me in restaurants with normal background noise, but in quiet public spaces I'm embarrassed to say it does bother me. I don't want to book and then be cringing instead of enjoying the otherwise wonderful experience.

Thanks in advance.
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #878
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Can you use the TIW card here? We are looking at what we are going to do for the next trip in terms of dining since we will be getting APs for 2013.
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #879
sarahgirl
Mouseketeer

In the main dining room you can use the TiW card-- QVR and Chef's Table you cannot. Also the automatic gratituty is 20% here and not 18%.
sarahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #880
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I'm back from WDW! DH and I went to V&A on 7/27 and sat in the regular dining room. I did wear some nice strappy evening sandals which were fine and DH did not wear a tie but was in a suit. I saw people less dressed up than we were though (men still had jackets of course). It was chilly in the dining room and I'm glad I brought a big scarf to use as a shawl. Several ladies were given the 'house' shawls to wear.

The service was top notch. Everyone was attentive and very, very nice. They made us feel comfortable and while they were there when we needed them, they were not intrusive at all.

The food was fabulous. We did not upcharge to anything extra and I'm glad we didn't. The food was great and it was nice to try different things (like lamb and rabbit) without paying extra for a steak. We did the wine pairing and it was great! It was great to try wines specifically matched to the dishes.

I was stuffed by the entrees even though I was making DH eat half my food and sending back some of the bread (I tried to eat less than half of each serving so I didn't fill up - but I filled up anyway!) So by the entree, I ate two bites and they wrapped it up for me. I actually ordered the cheese plate and DH got the white gelato for the next course but I was so stuffed, I couldn't eat the cheese plate! I had half the white chocolate gelato. Then dessert came and I tried bites of each of ours to taste it. It was actually my least favorite course DH got the creme brulee and I was disappointed. It tasted like any old creme brulee and wasn't served hot (I don't like it as well served cold). My chocolate soufle was better but it didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. But, by this time, my medicine might have worn off. I got sick, REALLY sick, at Disney with a nasty cold and I was stuffed up. In fact, I still am! That's another story. So they packed up the chocolates for us as well. We ate my leftover lamb and the chocolates the next day.

We did order coffee (YUM!) and bailey's on the rocks for both of us at dessert time. They did not charge us any extra for those items. I thought they would but I guess that was included as well??

We did use TIW and that was really great - $80 off!! The dinner was expensive but totally worth it. We really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone on this thread that answered all my questions before hand. It made the experience much better and easier on us.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #881
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
I'm back from WDW! DH and I went to V&A on 7/27 and sat in the regular dining room. I did wear some nice strappy evening sandals which were fine and DH did not wear a tie but was in a suit. I saw people less dressed up than we were though (men still had jackets of course). It was chilly in the dining room and I'm glad I brought a big scarf to use as a shawl. Several ladies were given the 'house' shawls to wear.

The service was top notch. Everyone was attentive and very, very nice. They made us feel comfortable and while they were there when we needed them, they were not intrusive at all.

The food was fabulous. We did not upcharge to anything extra and I'm glad we didn't. The food was great and it was nice to try different things (like lamb and rabbit) without paying extra for a steak. We did the wine pairing and it was great! It was great to try wines specifically matched to the dishes.

I was stuffed by the entrees even though I was making DH eat half my food and sending back some of the bread (I tried to eat less than half of each serving so I didn't fill up - but I filled up anyway!) So by the entree, I ate two bites and they wrapped it up for me. I actually ordered the cheese plate and DH got the white gelato for the next course but I was so stuffed, I couldn't eat the cheese plate! I had half the white chocolate gelato. Then dessert came and I tried bites of each of ours to taste it. It was actually my least favorite course DH got the creme brulee and I was disappointed. It tasted like any old creme brulee and wasn't served hot (I don't like it as well served cold). My chocolate soufle was better but it didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. But, by this time, my medicine might have worn off. I got sick, REALLY sick, at Disney with a nasty cold and I was stuffed up. In fact, I still am! That's another story. So they packed up the chocolates for us as well. We ate my leftover lamb and the chocolates the next day.

We did order coffee (YUM!) and bailey's on the rocks for both of us at dessert time. They did not charge us any extra for those items. I thought they would but I guess that was included as well??

We did use TIW and that was really great - $80 off!! The dinner was expensive but totally worth it. We really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone on this thread that answered all my questions before hand. It made the experience much better and easier on us.
Followed you over from BW thread. Sounds like a great meal.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #882
Beka
Goes to 11

So glad you enjoyed it Tinkerbellie! Hope you feel better soon! I agree, it gets a little cold in there; I was so glad they had shawls for us.

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #883
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
So glad you enjoyed it Tinkerbellie! Hope you feel better soon! I agree, it gets a little cold in there; I was so glad they had shawls for us.
We did it recently. We went for the chefs menu with the wine pairings, which was interesting. I haven't been that drunk since college. My husband was completely bombed too. Awkward! By the last course, I was almost physically ill. I think dessert was delicious, but I really don't remember it well.

We will go back sometime, but I think I will just order a cocktail and call it a night.
Miumiu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #884
SouthJersey
Yeah Buddy

Plating and menu looks phenomenal, but, "Dinner jacket is required for gentlemen (tie optional) and dress" usually does me in. Dinner jacket required establishments tend to be wayyyy to stuffy and uptight for my liking lol.

I hate having to fit some fake part for a meal like I'm at a country club. Luckily with my sister's position in the culinary world (graduate of CIA in NYC, held management for Starr, Mina Group, Todd English and others), I've gotten to meet and take part in some fantastic events, openings and banquets with all the big shots in the culinary world and they don't even act like 3/4 of the people I've seen in the YouTube video's of Victoria and Albert's. Jamie Oliver was making fun of stuffy dining experiences and dinner jackets himself. I don't understand how jeans, steve madden shoes, a sport jacket and a nice button down is sufficient at $500 a plate dinners I've been to, in which the majority was wearing the same. We're good friends of Rajat Parr's, the last time we were together I was told to dress comfortable and wear jeans and a tie/button down for a Petrus' wine tasting and dinner. I wish places would loosen up

Debating on just sucking it up and breaking out the suit
  • 2000 - Off Disney, Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista
  • 2001 - Port Orleans
  • 2007 - Wilderness Lodge *Favorite!*
  • 2008 - School Senior Trip, Sports Resort, Great Trip!
  • 2010 - Christmas Trip! First Disney trip with the GF and first trip I've booked myself.
  • 2012 - Food and Wine Festival - Wilderness Lodge
  • 2013 - Christmas Trip 2! - Caribbean Beach
Marines 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment - Dark Horse battalion - of Camp Pendleton
0311 of the United States Marine Corps
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 1st Place Amateur Mid-Heavy Weight
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 3rd Place Men's Mid-Heavy Weight

Last edited by SouthJersey; 08-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
SouthJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #885
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

It is not "dinner jacket" required. It is "jacket" which includes sports jacket, blazer, suit, military "Class A", etc.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: