DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Neraj
Earning My Ears

Yeah, I hear June of 2013. Interesting that there are no mock-ups.

I know they are converting the ground level Grand Villa, on the quiet pool side, into one of the quick service locations. The other location will be on the beach!

Startlit Hui will be moving to a new, larger, location. To make room for the extension of the quiet pool and addition of a toddler pool.

The AMA'AMA restaurant will be increasing in size and Makahiki will gain a retractable cover for the outside seating area.

Those are some of the details I can remember from the top of my head...
Neraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
theOCdisney
Mouseketeer

We received the email too. (We are going Oct 4-8.). Here is the email:

"Over the course of our first year, Guests have told us again and again how much they've enjoyed their time at Aulani. So, in order to give our Guests more of what they love, we'll be expanding our Resort as part of our final buildout beginning in September.

This expansion will include enhancements to the Waikolohe Pool area, as well as the addition of new water features, two new Quick-service dining options and a new, larger venue for our popular Starlit Hui show.

These projects are being carefully scheduled to minimize impact to your stay, however, you will see and hear work in progress-so we hope you'll pardon our appearance and any construction-related noise. Our most popular features will be available during your stay, including:
Waikolohe Valley pools/water fun area
Beach access and activities
Aunty's Beach House kids' club
Starlit Hui show (except for a short hiatus in the fall)
Other entertainment, including fireside storytelling, outdoor movie nights and visits from Disney Characters
Laniwai Spa and Fitness Center
All restaurants
Please note that the Wailana Bar and Quiet Pool will remain closed for an indefinite period of time. Also, the Makai Preserve will close permanently in early October to make way for new water features.

Again, we look forward to your visit. You will receive additional information soon regarding any impacts to your stay. If you have any questions, please contact Disney Vacation Club® Member Services at 800-********."

We are disappointed, but our stay is an add-on to our Kauai trip. We have stayed in Ko Olina before at the Ihilani , so we will enjoy the lagoon and whatever amenities are available at Aulani.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

I was there in May, and everytime I was out by the pool I kept thinking that they are in big trouble when phase 3 of the resort opens. The pool deck area was barely big enough to handle the part of the resort that was already open, and phase 3 looks pretty large to me. There was no way the current pool area would be able to handle the number of people who will be staying in phase 3. I'm really glad to hear that they are going to expand this area. It might be a pain in the short term, but it's really needed for the long term.

I'm surprised to hear that they are removing one of the grand villas from inventory and converting it into something else. Have any of the other DVC resorts done something like this before?

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
shoedude1971
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoedude1971
Hi! Wifey and I are headed to Aulani (9/28 - 10/12) to celebrate our 10 year anniversary! We've been counting down the days with ever increasing anticipation but yesterday, we received email notification of the impending expansion. Although Disney has assured guests of minimal impact, I'm very skeptical. Scaffolding, obtrusive walls and noise come to mind when thinking of this expansion. Looking to chat it up with other folks heading out there around the same time and also folks who have been to Aulani, have knowledge of the expansion details and can let us know how they think our experience will be....trip of a lifetime just became a bit less "trip of a lifetime-y ".....or not? Help!!!!
I guess we'll just make the best of it, I have faith in Disney....I mean, we'll be in Hawaii! 2 weeks in Hawaii with some inconveniences is better than 2 weeks most anywhere else, right?
shoedude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktracy View Post
Hello All,

I am traveling to Aulani 9/2- 9/9 this year. Does anyone know when the expansion will start?? Just trying to plan.
DW and I will be there this time as well. We have not received an email telling us of the expansion plans so I'm hoping it means it will not start until after we depart.

Here is the link to Disney's post about the expansion and their comments
http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-...ort-expansion/

Since the opening of Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in August 2011, Guests have enjoyed outstanding amenities and accommodations at this oceanfront Resort. And today, we continue to look for ways to enhance your vacation experience.

With this in mind, if you visit between September and mid-2013, you may notice some of our work in progress as the Resort is expanded. Rest assured, you can still anticipate a fun-filled vacation at Aulani during this period.

Explore all the updates planned at Aulani:

Waikolohe Valley Pool Area
Waikolohe Valley will soon delight Guests with more water features and dining options.

During the pool area expansion, much of Waikolohe Valley will remain open—including Waikolohe Pool, the lazy river, slides, whirlpool spas, Rainbow Reef and Menehune Bridge. However, Makai Preserve will close permanently this fall; Wailana Pool (the quiet pool) and Wailana Bar will close for an extended period.

Starlit Hui
To accommodate more Guests, Starlit Hui will move to a larger venue. Be aware that Starlit Hui will close for approximately one month as it transitions to its new location.

Makahiki – The Bounty of the Islands
To provide shaded outdoor seating and accommodate additional Guests in inclement weather, an overhead trellis with retractable awnings will be added to the outdoor dining area at Makahiki.

While enhancements are underway at Makahiki, restaurant operations will continue with interior seating only. As a result, the Disney Character Breakfast—Aunty's Breakfast Celebration at the Makahiki—will be extended to 6 days a week! This experience will be available Tuesday through Sunday, and Resort Guests will enjoy priority for advance reservations.

Exterior Decorative Beams
Finishing touches are being put on the building exteriors—including work on the decorative beam joints. While this work is in progress, you may notice some scaffolding and covered walkways at Aulani.

Mahalo (thank you). Your patience is greatly appreciated during this enhancement period. For more information, please view our frequently asked questions or call (714) 520-7001.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
DisnutDave
DIS Semi-veteran

Just want to let everyone know I called Member Services yesterday and they said that the construction is set to begin on September 10th. DH and I will be there 9/8 -9/14, although construction projects can be inconvenient, hopefully it's for the best in the end.
Too many visits to list!!
DisnutDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neraj View Post

I know they are converting the ground level Grand Villa, on the quiet pool side, into one of the quick service locations. The other location will be on the beach!
How did you hear about the Grand Villa being converted into a quick service location?

To my knowledge, DVD has never taken a residential Unit and converted it into a Commercial Unit at any of the other DVC resorts. In some respects, DVD may be able to do this at Aulani because I don't think it has declared any of the residential Units that comprise Phase 2 (the Waianae Building) for the DVC inventory.

However, the conversion of Grand Villa #101 to a Commercial Unit would cause a minor but nevertheless significant problem with Aulani's point chart. Grand Villa #101 is the only GV designated as a Standard View; all the other Grand Villas are in the Ocean View category. If DVD takes away that Standard View GV, it will need to make an adjustment somewhere else in the point chart to compensate for the change. In addition, if DVD has sold any Guaranteed Weeks for a Standard View Grand Villa, it may need to make adjustments for those contracts.

So, how reliable is your source that they are converting the ground level grand villa into an eating area?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
Neraj
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure how they will be designating the new set of Grand Villas that will be opening during phase 3. I would say my source is a reliable as any source can be during a major renovation like this.

Concerning the pool deck, this summer the resort has been mid 95% occupancy.... That's less that 60% when the resort is completely open!
Neraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
counselormom
Mouseketeer

It makes me feel better that some of you said the construction coming up is off to the side and shouldn't be too disruptive. Thank you for that

Perhaps those of us that are going soon could report back or even post pictures of the construction. I will be happy to do that during our Oct. trip.
Hopefully that will ease our concerns or at least prepare us for what to expect on arrival.
counselormom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We are going for a week beginning 9/12. I have rented a pool cabana for every day of this vacation. For anyone who has been, can you tell me how close this construction is going to be to the cabana location? I don't want to waste my money for a cabana if it's going to be really noisy.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

We are going 10/23-28. I was looking forward to seeing the Starlight Hui one night so hope the one-month closure is not during that time period!

Otherwise, I don't think it will affect us much. We are renting a car for the length of stay and plan to go over all of the island and see the sights. We're not much for hanging at the pool or on the beach--and there are so many things to see on Oahu! We then are going to stay a week at the Maui Ocean Club.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
cad8689
Earning My Ears

We have been planning our 50th anniversary for the past year. We have scrimped together as many reward points as we could to take our 3 children and their spouses with us. We are booked for September 7 through the 14th. It was quite a blow when I happened onto the DVC site yesterday to find that the construction would be taking place beginning mid-September. And now today I read in this thread that it willk start on the 10th. This construction may be necessary, as some of you who have been there pointed out. That is no consolation to those of us who have made reservations during this time.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom when there was construction going on and it didn't bother us in the least. Our memories are of the good time we had, not of the construction. I am thankful that we are going to celebrate with our family in Hawaii at beautiful Aulani. I don't want to trouble myself with thoughts that my vacation will be ruined. On the contrary, I am looking forward to having the time of my life. I hope the rest of you who are there will do the same.
cad8689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #28
shoedude1971
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad8689
We have been planning our 50th anniversary for the past year. We have scrimped together as many reward points as we could to take our 3 children and their spouses with us. We are booked for September 7 through the 14th. It was quite a blow when I happened onto the DVC site yesterday to find that the construction would be taking place beginning mid-September. And now today I read in this thread that it willk start on the 10th. This construction may be necessary, as some of you who have been there pointed out. That is no consolation to those of us who have made reservations during this time.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom when there was construction going on and it didn't bother us in the least. Our memories are of the good time we had, not of the construction. I am thankful that we are going to celebrate with our family in Hawaii at beautiful Aulani. I don't want to trouble myself with thoughts that my vacation will be ruined. On the contrary, I am looking forward to having the time of my life. I hope the rest of you who are there will do the same.
Well said.....on that note, 59 days left! Woo-hoo!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

If most on the construction is on the side that I'm thinking then, I definitely would request a pool view. We had room 913 in July and it was the side view. I could see the spa below us. I'm guessing that side would be very noisy. The other side of the resort Phase 3 isn't open yet. The side we were on was the same side as the Makai Preserve and the quiet pool. I would go with an open mind that there will be noise. If this is meant to be a once in a life time trip, I'd cancel and rebook
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
shoedude1971
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco
If most on the construction is on the side that I'm thinking then, I definitely would request a pool view. We had room 913 in July and it was the side view. I could see the spa below us. I'm guessing that side would be very noisy. The other side of the resort Phase 3 isn't open yet. The side we were on was the same side as the Makai Preserve and the quiet pool. I would go with an open mind that there will be noise. If this is meant to be a once in a life time trip, I'd cancel and rebook
Thanks for the info! I think we're still game to go....I probably misspoke when I started this thread, I mentioned 'once in a lifetime' but what I probably should have said is 'best vacation so far.....'.....which means, im sure we'll be back.....between my desire for many excursions and wifey's love of beach bumming, we may spend more time around the island/outside of the resort than in...I guess it comes down to how much the construction impedes our enjoyment of the resort....still excited, 58 days....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: