Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

You don't drive over the Golden Gate bridge on the way to yosemite. It's a solid 30 min up to the bridge from the airport... then back pretty much the same way to go across the Bay Bridge to get to Yosemite.

You obviously can go to the bridge that morning, but just know it is not on the way.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

I just was in San Francisco earlier this month.

BART is easy. It's $8.25 per person one way to or from SFO. I had a red eye and took it at 9:30 pm. Lots of people were doing the same thing. I felt safe the whole time, and my 13 year old and I had luggage. It was not a problem at all. If you're near SFO, that is by far the best way to get to and from the city. Driving in SF is a challenge. It's big city traffic made more stressful by steep hills and cable cars, which have the right of way. I do not recommend it for anyone from out of town.

If you want an evening Alcatraz tour, those must be booked WAY in advance especially during the summer. Daytime tours need to be booked ahead of time too, but there's more availability during the day. The tour itself probably takes about an hour, not including the boat and walking from the dock to the prison. Do get tickets before you go or else you might not get them. I've done it four times, three during the day and once at night. Night is fun with a few extra options but not really that different than day.

Two weeks ago, I took my son on Dylan's Tours. It's a nice alternative to the HOHO. You could combine that with Alcatraz if you schedule correctly.

I grew up in Sacramento. It's a long drive from Yosemite! Take a hour or two to walk around Old Sac and visit the Capitol. They're close to each other.

Last edited by Tam1067; 07-30-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Tam1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreud View Post
You don't drive over the Golden Gate bridge on the way to yosemite. It's a solid 30 min up to the bridge from the airport... then back pretty much the same way to go across the Bay Bridge to get to Yosemite.

You obviously can go to the bridge that morning, but just know it is not on the way.

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam1067 View Post
I just was in San Francisco earlier this month.

BART is easy. It's $8.25 per person one way to or from SFO. I had a red eye and took it at 9:30 pm. Lots of people were doing the same thing. I felt safe the whole time, and my 13 year old and I had luggage. It was not a problem at all. If you're near SFO, that is by far the best way to get to and from the city. Driving in SF is a challenge. It's big city traffic made more stressful by steep hills and cable cars, which have the right of way. I do not recommend it for anyone from out of town.

If you want an evening Alcatraz tour, those must be booked WAY in advance especially during the summer. Daytime tours need to be booked ahead of time too, but there's more availability during the day. The tour itself probably takes about an hour, not including the boat and walking from the dock to the prison. Do get tickets before you go or else you might not get them. I've done it four times, three during the day and once at night. Night is fun with a few extra options but not really that different than day.

Two weeks ago, I took my son on Dylan's Tours. It's a nice alternative to the HOHO. You could combine that with Alcatraz if you schedule correctly.

I grew up in Sacramento. It's a long drive from Yosemite! Take a hour or two to walk around Old Sac and visit the Capitol. They're close to each other.
I did check on google maps if we alter our course to include gg bridge it's a MUCH longer route to get to Yosemite. Maybe we'll just cross it and find a place to turn around & go back. Really, I'll never hear the end of it if we get that close but can't say we drove over it. It will be early on a Sunday am so hopefully the least crowded as it can get. That will be the only time we'll be driving in SF.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

When planning to walk around SF please remember that San Francisco is a city with many steep streets. Walking may take more out of you than you think especially if you spent the day before on a plane. Have you thought about calling the hotel and asking them what they recommend?

Will you be in Yosemite on a full moon night? They do a night tour which is awesome. It is like seeing Yosemite in black and white just like the Ansel Adams pictures. Seeing the climbers sleeping on the face of the rock walls is a site not quickly forgotten.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Enabler View Post
When planning to walk around SF please remember that San Francisco is a city with many steep streets. Walking may take more out of you than you think especially if you spent the day before on a plane. Have you thought about calling the hotel and asking them what they recommend?

Will you be in Yosemite on a full moon night? They do a night tour which is awesome. It is like seeing Yosemite in black and white just like the Ansel Adams pictures. Seeing the climbers sleeping on the face of the rock walls is a site not quickly forgotten.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Yes, you're right. That's something not visible on Google maps.

It will be a new moon when we're in Yosemite. At that time they have a Stargazer Tour of Glacier Point. We're hoping to do that our 1st night. Another reason we'd like to get an early start Sunday. It meets at 6:30 IIRC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: