Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Just got back from Enchanted China!

What a fantastic trip! If you're considering this itinerary and have any questions, please ask! Our guides where James and Steven - just the best!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Kez250
Mouseketeer

i have a couple of ?'s for you - we leave on the 9th for our trip there and i'm starting to think about packing and stuff. one of my concerns is over or under packing, because of the luggage restriction on the internal flights i was thinking of getting laundry done partway through. when do you think it would be possible to get it done? need to make sure that i have enough till then

money - did you take usd with you and exchange or did you use the atm machines, was it easy to get money in all the places or should you get more in beijing.

bugs - did you need a lot of repellent?

did you arrive the day the adventure started or before - we are arriving the day before and i'm wondering what to do and see before the adventure starts

and if there are any other tips or advice you can give, that would be fabulous

am glad you enjoyed it, i'm getting really excited
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post
What a fantastic trip! If you're considering this itinerary and have any questions, please ask! Our guides where James and Steven - just the best!
Welcome back! So glad you had a great trip. Are you going to do a trip report? Or at least post pictures? I love living this trip vicariously!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
CBEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez250 View Post
i have a couple of ?'s for you - we leave on the 9th for our trip there and i'm starting to think about packing and stuff. one of my concerns is over or under packing, because of the luggage restriction on the internal flights i was thinking of getting laundry done partway through. when do you think it would be possible to get it done? need to make sure that i have enough till then
While the internal flights technically had restrictions, no one EVER saw/questioned our carry-ons and The Mouse magically covered any overage charges . We did stick to a single checked back for each of us, but the Guides always offered additional luggage tags if you added checked bags along the way. We packed an extra "fold up" bag and did start to check it about half way through.

We primarily just brought shorts and t-shirts. Really only one dinner in Shanghai were we dressed up even a little bit. For this, I had a sun dress and "nice" flipflops. One BIG help since we were constantly moving hotels - we used the packing cubes to organize our suitcases and make it really easy to pack/unpack quickly and keep things reasonably neat and organized.

I did laundry in Guilin - but just did it in my room, didn't use the hotel. That was about Day 6-7. I did it as soon as we arrived to allow time to dry before the next move.

Quote:
money - did you take usd with you and exchange or did you use the atm machines, was it easy to get money in all the places or should you get more in beijing.
We took about $100 in China money and $50 in Hong Kong money. From there, we relied on ATMs for additional cash - they are everywhere and the Guides will point you to the best ones. It was easy to get money in each city.

Quote:
bugs - did you need a lot of repellent?
We took bug repellant, but never used it. Can't remember where, but one of the places had a few (very few though) mosquitos.

Quote:
did you arrive the day the adventure started or before - we are arriving the day before and i'm wondering what to do and see before the adventure starts
Definitely arrived the day before and very glad we did. It really let us get rested and start the adventure fresh.

Have a most WONDERFUL trip. Say Hi to James from Charlie,Liz and Lizzie!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
CBEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Welcome back! So glad you had a great trip. Are you going to do a trip report? Or at least post pictures? I love living this trip vicariously!

Sayhello
Probably not going to do a trip report.... but will try to get some pictures posted in the next couple of day!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Kez250
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info/advice - i'll be sure to say hi from you all
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
deckes
deckes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez250
We got back a week and a half ago. Had laundry done in Chengdu and Guillin hotels. If you can hold out have it done in Guillin. It was half the price. We brought clothes for 7 days. Just t-shirts & shorts and a little dressier outfit for Shanghai restaurant. My son & husband wore dress shorts and polos and were fine (nothing too fancy but dressier than day clothes). There was an atm to the right as soon as we came out with baggage. You are going to have such a good time.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
deckes
deckes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez250
Also we arrived the day before and went to see the Summer Palace & Temple of Heaven the morning & early afternoon of Day 1. We used a private tour guide from The China Guide which was actually recommended to us from disboards. They were amazing & we arranged it all online. You set your own itinerary. For a private car, driver & English speaking guide, lunch & admission to both places it was only around $300 for all 4 of us. They picked us up at the hotel at 8am and would return at 4:30 before the welcome dinner. We got done early & were back by 2. It was well worth it. After seeing how crowded these places got I was glad we had the guide.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Welcome back!! Was wondering about you guys. I heard a typhoon was hitting Hong Kong!

What was the highlight of the trip for you? Mine was the pandas!
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
CBEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Welcome back!! Was wondering about you guys. I heard a typhoon was hitting Hong Kong!

What was the highlight of the trip for you? Mine was the pandas!
Oh most definitely the pandas was the favorite for DD15 and I (especially getting to hold one!). DH was most fascinated with the Great Wall.

We got to HK just a few hours after the typhoon. A lot of tree limbs down from the winds but it was just rainy by the time we got there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: