Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #346
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
0 Judys.
Correct, but not in time for a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Loved the update. Wanted to read it earlier when I was at work and can't see pictures. Glad I didn't even try.

I had no idea how impressive the Rockefeller building was. What in informative tour.
I learned a lot from her writeup too. I see a lot of art deco in the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh - and the Peacock - I totally remember that, and, if I am not mistaken, it used to come home before Disney's Wonderful World of Color because I'm pretty sure NBC was the hosting station.
I believe NBC was also. I remember that peacock as the "old" peacock, the newer one was current when I was watching, but Judy's older than I am so that must be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Too bad about the Today show and Justin Beiber. I hope you got to go the next morning.
I'll have to leave it like so many Wonderful World of Disney episodes...."To Be Continued"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I would say it was a good use of DVC points.
I think so. We were really lucky to get the exact dates we wanted.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #347
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Ugh that stinks that Justin Bieber messed up your plans! Hopefully you didn't run into too many JB fans along your travels that day!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #348
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
Sorry to hear Lauren never got to see the Today Show up close and personal.
Hey Timmy. Her mom said that they could try another day, so you'll have to stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
Seriously, most Beliebers (not all, but most) are trouble especially the really dedicated ones (like those you ran into). They really can be over-the-top, rude so I totally feel for Lauren. Good thing none were on her tour. So funny they popped a question about him and they all turned to her
I was surprised to read how she "wanted to punch one of them right in the face", so maybe the anti-Beliebers can be trouble too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
Love all of Lauren's pictures of Rockefeller center! Joining in on this "Where's Judy" game now and I see none as of yet. But it looks like a cool place. Wish I had the chance to go there when I went. I love all the Greek mythology they have tied in especially the Atlas and Prometheus sculptures, very nice. The old NBC sign looks cool too and the underground tunnels remind me of the little pathways between the Senate housing and the Capitol building. Very cool. Glad to hear Lauren was having a better time than that morning!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of her tour!
She did a good job getting lots of pictures and remembering/sharing what she learned, didn't she?

The tunnels (or at least what I'm picturing, since I wasn't on the tour) remind me of some that exist under several buildings in downtown Wilmington DE. When I worked there, if it was raining I could get from one building to another without getting wet.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #349
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Ugh that stinks that Justin Bieber messed up your plans!
Yeah, but as the planner I kind of blew it on that one. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hopefully you didn't run into too many JB fans along your travels that day!!
Hopefully...for their sakes, right?
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #350
Poolrat
DIS Veteran
 
Poolrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8,217

In all my rush to NOT be first I never did comment on the actual update.

Lauren did a great job on her poster.

Don't beat yourself up about not knowing about Bieber.

The tour at Rockerfeller Center looks fabulous. Can't believe I have spent all my youth in NY and never had a chance to do that.


I am sorry she wanted to punch the Bieber lovers.
__________________
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV MT- POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #351
BMC423
DIS Veteran
 
BMC423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Thank you Bicki! Just curious, have you taken this tour or is it one of those things that living there, you never get around to doing?
I have never taken a tour, although this review is making me want to go sightseeing! I did work at The Metropolitan Museum of Art during college and I read a lot of those city guides that they sell there along with some NYC history books during down time at the shop. Many of these buildings have such history that it is truly amazing to think about.
__________________
~Bicki
DH DS4
1996 - Offsite 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies 2011 - Coronado Springs
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #352
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer
 
CreightonsMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anniston, AL
Posts: 390

What a great update! Lauren definitely learned a lot on this tour. A great history lesson to us all!
__________________
Me - Jen DBF - Mike DS - Creighton (10/31/2009) DS2 - Cooper (07/31/2013)

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #353
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx View Post
Hi everyone! Sorry for hijacking your thread Glenn but I don't have a PTR just yet and thought your TR would be the perfect place to tell everybody.

I'm engaged!!!!! Andrew proposed yesterday at the beach. There were about 10 of us there and everyone had known for about a month! It was a big surprise and so awesome. I just needed to share this with my DIS friends.
Congratulations Yuki! So happy for both of you
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #354
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place
 
dvc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,829

Wonderful update! So much information and the pictures are great. So glad you had a good tour so far since you missed the Today show. What a bummer.
__________________
Chris
dvc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #355
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,606

Nice update Lauren! Too bad the Biebs messed up your day. Thanks for sharing so much information. I didn't know about the plates for the trees - that is pretty special for the family who donates the trees. Well, I guess I really didn't know about any of the info you shared!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #356
englishrose47
DIS Veteran
 
englishrose47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara Falls N.Y.
Posts: 27,468

Justin Bieber is 18 !!! Do I get a point !!! When I asked I was given a look like "you don't know "

Great Update Lauren , soory about the Today Show !!!
__________________
April/May 07 Pop Feb 08 Pop May09 POP Sept 09 POP Feb 10 Pop Oct 10 Pop Aug 11 Pop Oct 11Pop Oct 12 Pop Oct 13 &Dec 13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post49995478 Where's my Suitcase ???
A PTR: [
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #357
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere
 
Captain_Oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Welcome back. I'm sure you wished you could have stayed longer. Tell us, how did you love AKL?
It was beautiful! I think we might have a new favorite resort. Just an amazing place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
No problem sir! Your photog-wife would love it.
Longwood has a special place in our hearts. That's where I proposed to DW. She was mentally incapacitated enough to say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
From a DVC trade value, it was okay, probably a fair trade but not a “deal”...
I tried to understand all this points stuff, but it started to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Oops. Epic Fail on the part of your Trip Planner.
That's ok. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
As we walked there, we didn’t see any Beliebers which was lucky for them. I really wanted to punch one of them right in the face.
We would definitely need video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
And then someone asked how old Justin Beiber was and everyone looked at me, since I was the youngest person there. I kinda stood there for a second while everyone’s eyes were on me, trying to think if I had recently heard any news about him. It made me pretty nervous. Finally, I said that I thought he was 19 or 20 because I knew he was older than me (I’m 18).
He's actually 43. I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
This next photo pays homage to the Prometheus sculpture, Lego style.
I know, the other art is pretty amazing, but I do like this a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
They have these metal decorations that they put around every tree. Every once in a while, someone has to come out and scrub it down with a toothbrush and cleaner. I don’t envy that person.
That has to be some sort of punishment detail.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #358
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager
 
PlutosRHM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?
Posts: 10,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I was surprised to read how she "wanted to punch one of them right in the face", so maybe the anti-Beliebers can be trouble too!
Well, that's what the Beliebers do to you Beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
She did a good job getting lots of pictures and remembering/sharing what she learned, didn't she?

The tunnels (or at least what I'm picturing, since I wasn't on the tour) remind me of some that exist under several buildings in downtown Wilmington DE. When I worked there, if it was raining I could get from one building to another without getting wet.
She definitely did.

I guess it is a very common thing. I actually connected them to the Utilidors in Disney World too, can't believe I didn't think of those first. Such a bad DISer.
__________________
Name's Timmy Awaiting DGE 2014 Instagram/Twitter: @goofy_disnerd Tumblr: yetanotherhappyhaunt
JII & Tiki Room Forever
In Memory of TimmyToga

PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #359
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
In all my rush to NOT be first I never did comment on the actual update.
Exactly...let's not forget what's really important here. Wait, what is really important??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Lauren did a great job on her poster.
Thanks. She came up with it on her own. She came to me for an idea on what she could put that would spell "NBC" down the side and I was like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Don't beat yourself up about not knowing about Bieber.
Good point....it'd be worse if I actually knew his schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
The tour at Rockerfeller Center looks fabulous. Can't believe I have spent all my youth in NY and never had a chance to do that.
That's happens so often -- you never visit the tourist-y places near where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I am sorry she wanted to punch the Bieber lovers.
I'm looking into Anger Management classes for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
I have never taken a tour, although this review is making me want to go sightseeing! I did work at The Metropolitan Museum of Art during college and I read a lot of those city guides that they sell there along with some NYC history books during down time at the shop. Many of these buildings have such history that it is truly amazing to think about.
It sounded like a good tour to me. That's neat that you got to spend some working time doing "research" in the gift shop. That must have been a nice place to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreightonsMomma View Post
What a great update! Lauren definitely learned a lot on this tour. A great history lesson to us all!
Thanks Jen. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Wonderful update! So much information and the pictures are great. So glad you had a good tour so far since you missed the Today show. What a bummer.
Thank you! At least they got to go back and get some more sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Nice update Lauren! Too bad the Biebs messed up your day. Thanks for sharing so much information. I didn't know about the plates for the trees - that is pretty special for the family who donates the trees. Well, I guess I really didn't know about any of the info you shared!
Glad you liked it, and learned a thing or two Tammie!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #360
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Justin Bieber is 18 !!! Do I get a point !!! When I asked I was given a look like "you don't know "
No, since he messed up her day that should be minus a point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great Update Lauren , soory about the Today Show !!!
Thanks Rosie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
It was beautiful! I think we might have a new favorite resort. Just an amazing place.
Awesome! Will you be doing a TR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Longwood has a special place in our hearts. That's where I proposed to DW. She was mentally incapacitated enough to say yes.
Ahhhhh, I had no idea. Good plan -- get her woozie from all of the beautiful flowers and intoxicating smells, then pop the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I tried to understand all this points stuff, but it started to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.
Wah wah, wah wah wah wah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
That's ok. It happens.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
We would definitely need video.
It'd be even better if it was Justin himself taking the brunt of her wrath.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
He's actually 43. I know, right?
That explains a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I know, the other art is pretty amazing, but I do like this a lot.
If it can't be duplicated in legos, is it really art?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
That has to be some sort of punishment detail.
NBC page program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
Well, that's what the Beliebers do to you Beware.
There oughtta be a law. There are none in my household, but I'll be on the lookout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
I guess it is a very common thing. I actually connected them to the Utilidors in Disney World too, can't believe I didn't think of those first. Such a bad DISer.
Oh, good thinking. I didn't make that connection either!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: