Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarq View Post
Great thread everyone! Thank you very much!

The memory is still fresh in my mind - since we just got home a couple of days ago. Our family of 4 enjoyed the Greek Odyssey trip ABD (July 6-15, 2012). Awesome folks in our group of 29! Our 10 and 13 year old kids enjoyed the company of all the junior adventurers on the trip... from the 1st dinner in Athens til the farewell dinner in Crete, all the junior adventurers ate in the same table and hung out as much as they could.

We definitely loved the pre-night and post-nights - we only stayed 1 pre & 1 post night, which was just right since our family had already been in Paris for 5 days prior. We were well adjusted to the time difference (coming from California). Our ABD guides were superb!

It was HOT in Greece... we came prepared with a couple of small umbrellas (which we brought for the Paris weather). The umbrellas came handy in Delphi and Knossos since the kids enjoyed their portable shade. Lots of sunscreen for sure!
Welcome to the ABD Forum, DMarq! So glad you enjoyed your ABD! Are you planning on doing a trip report?

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #32
DrChuck23
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

were there any "Disney only"/special access activities that would separate this tour from those offered by other tour companies?

DVC members since 1/07 (SSR & Aulani)
Married at Disney's Wedding Pavilion, 4/00; Y&B 4/05; BCV & DCL Bahamas 1/07; BWV 9/07; SSR Christmas '07; AKV 6/08; OKW 7/09; ABD Backstage Magic 3/10; Vero Beach & DCL Bahamas 3/11; DCL Alaska 6/12; SSR 10/12; VGF Thanksgiving '13; BCV 3/14; BLT & Vero 6/14
DrChuck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #33
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChuck23 View Post
were there any "Disney only"/special access activities that would separate this tour from those offered by other tour companies?
I would say yes, although I don't know what other tours offer. I do know that we were the only group inside the Olympic stadium in Athens, and there were many specialty lunches and dinners in small out of the way towns. In Crete--I didn't see any other groups kayaking to Spinalonga, and we also went into the middle of Crete to a small village to see goats milked, cheese made from that and other activities that seemed pretty unique. All of the resorts were great, having two guides makes a big difference over most other tours offered---lots of attention to detail. Yes there were other groups touring the various sites--and taking a dip in the waters of Santorini, but not so much in private sailing ships. Looking at the totality of what was done, and how it was all put into play, I would have to assume this was a pretty unique tour and distinct from what other tour companies offer.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I just finished the Greece ABD(July 20-29) and had a great time. I wanted to pass along a few tips.

If you come in early, make use of the free hotel shuttle to Syntagma Square. Most of the sights that ABD doesn't visit (Hadrian's Arch, Temple of Zeus, National Garden, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, etc) are within an easy 5-10 minute walk from Syntagma Square. There are also several museums in that area and you can take the metro at Syntagma Square to wherever else you want to go. Ask the concierge at the hotel about the places you want to visit. He is very helpful and has tourist maps of the area.

The ferry ride we had from Santorini to Crete was very rough. Virtually all of the boat was sick and that's not an exaggeration. Landon and Elena, our guides, were great in assisting those who were sick. Make sure you take something before the ferry if you're prone to motion sickness. Some of the women said they did but it didn't help. Apparently, some crossings are milder than others.

We had free wifi at all of the hotels. However, the wifi at Porto Elounda in Crete was the most challenging. We were each given 4 hours of free wifi for our length of stay, but most people couldn't get on from their rooms. You can get free wifi in the lobby, so most people did that. A lot of people complained that the Internet was slow and this was the only hotel where I could not watch my news app on my iPad. The other hotels had unlimited wifi.

It is super hot in Greece now. Bring a hat and wear it!!!! Those of our group who didn't bring a hat wound up buying one after a full day in the sun. The guides keep you hydrated, so don't worry about that. Also, bring breathable clothes or ones you can wash in the sink. You will need to have two changes of clothes a day and will have to pay for the hotel to do your laundry if you can't wear your things multiple times.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
I just finished the Greece ABD(July 20-29) and had a great time. I wanted to pass along a few tips.

If you come in early, make use of the free hotel shuttle to Syntagma Square. Most of the sights that ABD doesn't visit (Hadrian's Arch, Temple of Zeus, National Garden, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, etc) are within an easy 5-10 minute walk from Syntagma Square. There are also several museums in that area and you can take the metro at Syntagma Square to wherever else you want to go. Ask the concierge at the hotel about the places you want to visit. He is very helpful and has tourist maps of the area.

The ferry ride we had from Santorini to Crete was very rough. Virtually all of the boat was sick and that's not an exaggeration. Landon and Elena, our guides, were great in assisting those who were sick. Make sure you take something before the ferry if you're prone to motion sickness. Some of the women said they did but it didn't help. Apparently, some crossings are milder than others.

We had free wifi at all of the hotels. However, the wifi at Porto Elounda in Crete was the most challenging. We were each given 4 hours of free wifi for our length of stay, but most people couldn't get on from their rooms. You can get free wifi in the lobby, so most people did that. A lot of people complained that the Internet was slow and this was the only hotel where I could not watch my news app on my iPad. The other hotels had unlimited wifi.

It is super hot in Greece now. Bring a hat and wear it!!!! Those of our group who didn't bring a hat wound up buying one after a full day in the sun. The guides keep you hydrated, so don't worry about that. Also, bring breathable clothes or ones you can wash in the sink. You will need to have two changes of clothes a day and will have to pay for the hotel to do your laundry if you can't wear your things multiple times.
Welcome to the ABD Forum, and thanks for the tips, abdgeek!

This trip is definitely on my short list for 2014.

Sayhello
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
DMarq
Adventuresome Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Welcome to the ABD Forum, DMarq! So glad you enjoyed your ABD! Are you planning on doing a trip report?

Sayhello
Hi, Sayhello... so sorry for falling off of this thread :-(. Been wacky busy! I would love to post a trip report -- but I only have Video Journals (pics & video, etc) to document all our family trips. And I have absolutely no idea how to share a video here on this forum... or whether or not I can. I don't see very many video postings - mostly pictures and very descriptive reports... which are awesome by the way!
DMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi, Sayhello... so sorry for falling off of this thread :-(. Been wacky busy! I would love to post a trip report -- but I only have Video Journals (pics & video, etc) to document all our family trips. And I have absolutely no idea how to share a video here on this forum... or whether or not I can. I don't see very many video postings - mostly pictures and very descriptive reports... which are awesome by the way!
You can either a) upload your videos to a photosharing site like Photobucket and then post the links here, or b) set up your report on a blogging website, and post the link to your blog there.

Let me know if you need information on how to do that.

Sayhello
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We went in June--I'm very interested in any changes they made (if any)--I noted in my trip report a few suggestions our group made, such as setting aside an ABD section of beach chairs at the black rock beach, and rethinking the Capt John lunch, etc.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
DMarq
Adventuresome Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
We went in June--I'm very interested in any changes they made (if any)--I noted in my trip report a few suggestions our group made, such as setting aside an ABD section of beach chairs at the black rock beach, and rethinking the Capt John lunch, etc.
Doesn't look like there were many (any) changes. The beach chairs at Kamari Beach were not a problem... we were practically the only game in town and we had most of the beach to ourselves anyway. We still went to Capt John's for lunch and no one had any issues actually. In fact, everyone had a great time after jumping from the 'pirate ship' into the agean sea - that water was super salty, yet all the tweens and teens loved jumping in and floating around. Thank goodness everyone who got into the water were pretty good swimmers - we didn't realize how deep the water was :-). By the time everyone got back on the boat, everyone was starving and the food at Capt John's hit the spot for us. That donkey ride afterwards was pretty wacky though! No wonder I had no video footage while on them - as I was holding on to my dear life up that hill! Not complaining - it was absolutely a lot of fun!
DMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Hey, I have a question! (Will probably have more, although this report/thread covers a LOT! )

The donkey ride up to Oia, did anyone on your trips walk up the stairs instead of taking the donkeys? I can't do the donkeys for multiple physical reasons (I'm falling apart! OK? ). But I'd really like to go up the stairs & see the views & stuff. But if it's going to take a really long time, or hold up the trip, I'm assuming there's a ride up there, also?

Thanks!
Sayhello
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Oh, and how many euros did people bring with them? I think it's about time to order them!

I'm doing 2 pre- and 1 post-night in Athens. They're through ABD, so breakfast is included. Besides that, and for On Your Own time, how much did folks spend (per person if possible!)

Sayhello
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #42
acndis
Earning My Ears

Euros and Donkeys

Sayhello,

I was on the trip with DMarq and I second everything she says. My son (4 at the time) and I did not do the donkeys. We did not walk. A bus drove us up. It was really hot that day and we had just gotten off the sailboat (awesome) and we did not feel like we missed anything taking the bus. The views are gorgeous when you reach the top. My husband did the donkeys and he said it was fine.

As for Euros, there's a convenient ATM in Athens so we just got money there. There are few cash machines in Santorini and nothing in Crete. Also, almost no one takes CC so be prepared with cash. We did very little shopping but also spent almost no money. When all was said and done, I think we spent between $500 - $700 (not including Tips for Guides).

I hope this helps.
acndis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #43
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Hey, I have a question! (Will probably have more, although this report/thread covers a LOT! )

The donkey ride up to Oia, did anyone on your trips walk up the stairs instead of taking the donkeys? I can't do the donkeys for multiple physical reasons (I'm falling apart! OK? ). But I'd really like to go up the stairs & see the views & stuff. But if it's going to take a really long time, or hold up the trip, I'm assuming there's a ride up there, also?

Thanks!
Sayhello
There is a van who will take you up Oia. I would not recommend the donkey ride if you have physical issues. You really have to hold on tight and they crowd each other. My leg almost got scraped by another donkey's stirrups, I got my leg out of the way to avoid and serious cut. You also hold on to a tiny thing on the saddle which is metal and can be slippery with sweaty hands. Once up in Oia, you will head on to a photo op spot where families will be rejoined. Gorgeous view up there!! I am sure you will not miss it. Some complaint on that stop was that it was too long, so I'm not sure if they will tweak that.

Quote:
Oh, and how many euros did people bring with them? I think it's about time to order them!

I'm doing 2 pre- and 1 post-night in Athens. They're through ABD, so breakfast is included. Besides that, and for On Your Own time, how much did folks spend (per person if possible!)

Sayhello
I find Greece to be inexpensive compared to other European countries we have been to. We always bring way extra euros, just a cushion, to keep me secure. But the pp suggested 5-7 hundred which I think is reasonable.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #44
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

For our group, not a single person opted to take the bus to the top--surprising our ABD guides and which resulted in a donkey shortage. I was the last up the hill--waiting for add'l donkeys (and some local donkey handler drama!). As you go up, you need to use your feet to kick at the walls closing in, to avoid scraping...but donkey rides are one of THE things to do (we watched the donkey owners herding their groups of donkeys down the main road in front of the hotel each morning, and then each evening). As tufbuf noted, the time in the Oia village was a little too long--but we found a great little restaurant nestled in the hill with a shaded outdoor patio overlooking the bay--we went for the Ouzo...somehow after that I woke up in a hay loft and, well, I digress.

I would highly recommend the Hop On Hop Off for Athens--we pre-purchased them on line and used the email ticket to board (very easy). We found sufficient shops and restaurants on the trip that did take credit--but still used cash moola for gelato, gyros and gratis (for taxi trips).
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #45
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Do any of you think it would be worth it (or doable) to climb the stairs to Oia? Donkeys is not going to happen, so it's climb or take the bus.

And did you need any "nice" clothes?

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: