Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #556
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbootee

I vote for option 1
Woot!!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #557
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu
Yay for Spanish camp! DS is on his 3rd week of Spanish camp for the summer and doing great. He'll get a 2 week break at the gym camp then it's back to school already...yikes! Next summer he will miss Spanish camp for the cruise but hopefully the days we spend in Barcelona will make up for it. he goes to a bilingual immersion international school so I think he should pick up a lot this year in kindergarten.
Sooooo cool! The place Ashleighs going to go is a 45-50 min drive on the south end of our island.....they have year round programs, but so not convenient to get to. I got an email several months ago from a swimming/exchange student program for teens in Barcelona! I can see what she'll be doing in a few years!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #558
tajz90
Mama D

I did not take the time to read thru all pages, but don't you mean July 13th to Med? Just started looking for hotels for pre cruise stay.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #559
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I did not take the time to read thru all pages, but don't you mean July 13th to Med? Just started looking for hotels for pre cruise stay.

tajz90 welcome!!!! and....

?????

As you haven't indicated what you're specifically referring to, I'm going to assume that it was in regards to drlaurafsu's post about her "July 12 day to Greece". To clear confusion, yes, the date it sets sail is July 13th, a 12-night cruise to Greece, as opposed to the 4-nighter that sails just before that. I wonder how many people are going to sail that on their own, as opposed to adding it as a back-to-back?

What thoughts are you having about where to stay pre-cruise??

Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #560
tajz90
Mama D

"My family is booked on the June 15, 2013 Mediterranean Cruise (Greece itinerary)"

Was referring to the above date, but honestly read it as July 15! I was scared I did something wrong or date changed. Duh! Sorry.

Trying to decide on a place to stay. We cruised in 07 and booked a Disney hotel on our own. Can't remember the name, but it was by the mall and we felt it was a bit too far from action. Want to book one room for 4 so I'm seeing options as limited. What would be the best area to stay? And what transport to ship? We took can last time and thought it too pricey but would like other opinions.

Sorry for confusion.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #561
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

We ended up getting a night at the Renaissance with Marriott points for the night before. I think we are going to end up staying after and hopefully meeting up with friends.

We were at a birthday party this afternoon and DH was chatting with another parent. They did the Baltic last year on DCL because they didn't offer the Med. They had really been hoping for the Med...so now DH is on a mission to get them to come with us! They have a girl in DS's class and a son a couple of years older. So I know the kids would have a blast.

Its hard staying focused on vacation planning for my other trips...because this one is just so different. But with 2 significant vacations before this one...DS's WDW birthday and our 10th anniversary trip to Paris I have got to stay focused! Its just SO. HARD.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #562
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90
"My family is booked on the June 15, 2013 Mediterranean Cruise (Greece itinerary)"

Was referring to the above date, but honestly read it as July 15! I was scared I did something wrong or date changed. Duh! Sorry.

Trying to decide on a place to stay. We cruised in 07 and booked a Disney hotel on our own. Can't remember the name, but it was by the mall and we felt it was a bit too far from action. Want to book one room for 4 so I'm seeing options as limited. What would be the best area to stay? And what transport to ship? We took can last time and thought it too pricey but would like other opinions.

Sorry for confusion.
Glad to hear you're on the same cruise! Have you posted yet on the cruise meets thread? I don't recognize your name from there....

If you look at the very first post of my TR, there are links to various discussions about the hotel issue. This time around we had to deal with having 4 people, and decided on an apartment pre-cruise and an apartment hotel post-cruise. I gather you have kids? How old?

It makes me wonder....why is there such a difference between the US and Europe as far as lodging? Why, pray tell, is it soooooo expensive for a room, and why is it so hard to find accommodations for more than 2 people? How do European families deal with this? Anyone have any insight?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #563
tajz90
Mama D

We are actually on July 13. . Terribly lazy of me, but I honestly wanted someone to tell me "stay here because it is located here." hahaha. I don't want to do the research! I only know where I don't want to stay thanks. Guess I'll have to do some research.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #564
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are actually on July 13. . Terribly lazy of me, but I honestly wanted someone to tell me "stay here because it is located here." hahaha. I don't want to do the research! I only know where I don't want to stay thanks. Guess I'll have to do some research.
We are on the same cruise as you. Hotels are the same Hilton & Renaissance (Marriott). We booked the Renaissance with points as there aren't really any currently available on points at the Hilton. Also Renaissance is cheaper on price too. These are the 2 hotels were you can use transfers to the cruise. Another option is to try and find a hotel nearby that you can book 4 into 1 room and then just roll your luggage over morning of the trip to use the transfer system. My understanding is there is a desk at the hotel where you can sign up and drop your luggage there.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #565
tajz90
Mama D

There will be a desk. How much are the transfers to the port this time around? Is the Reni the one near airport? I'd like to be close to city. Of course, I remember nothing from the 07 cruise so it's all brand new info again. Haha. I called DCL yesterday and prices hotels and then looked on my own, but totally forgot to ask how much transfers were.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #566
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
There will be a desk. How much are the transfers to the port this time around? Is the Reni the one near airport? I'd like to be close to city. Of course, I remember nothing from the 07 cruise so it's all brand new info again. Haha. I called DCL yesterday and prices hotels and then looked on my own, but totally forgot to ask how much transfers were.
I think I saw it posted somewhere that it's something like $30 per person each way.

Do you remember what areas you liked visiting?? I don't remember if I posted this here yet or not, but I created a map when I started looking at apartments and such to get an idea of where stuff was in relation to what we wanted to do. Here 's the link:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...a5e8b59c&msa=0

I just added in the Renaissance for those interested at staying at DCL Hotels.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #567
tajz90
Mama D

Thank you was really stressed last time. Air France lost all of our luggage. I didn't like staying by the mall, but it was a good thing since we spent most of our time trying to find clothes for trip Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #568
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

You're welcome! I cannot imagine losing luggage, especially all the stuff packed for a cruise! I was so worried that would happen last time that I packed completely differently than I usually do. You're going to get a glimpse into my crazy side again here...

I literally had outfits laid/folded out on our spare room bed. Underwear, socks if needed, laid out, outfit by outfit. I folded them very neatly to avoid wrinkles (worked in retail late teens, early 20's...got the folding down to an ART!), then grouped outfits together. As in, one for each of us. Had a chart that listed the outfits to be worn together by day/excursion. Took our batch of outfits and distributed them amongst the suitcases. Had a dressy-ish outfit in each suitcase for each of us, just in case something really bad happened. The toiletries went in the carry-ons.

So what happened? Nothing. All our luggage made it. But, Murphy"s Law being what it is, had I not done this there would have been a HUGE catastrophe.

And no, I didn't stick to the chart. Well, not entirely, anyway. Please reference previous clothing discussions about outfit coordination.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #569
tajz90
Mama D

Well, that luggage lost experience was an eye opener. Three weeks without clothes teaches you about what's important. When we went on the Baltic, we only carried roll on luggage, 1 apiece and managed quite well. We have toned down our packing tremendously. Haha. It's a good story now.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #570
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Ok the packing story makes me laugh. The lost luggage story makes me

I actually like the location...thanks for adding it to the map. Looks like it will be a good spot for doing a little sightseeing the day we leave. I was thinking we may do a HOHO bus when we get there just to get the lay of the land...then we can be ready to do some more serious sightseeing when we get back.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: