Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Vancouver - Summer 2013 - First Cruise

Hi there,

First time posting, long time reader. My husband, 20 month old boy and myself will be taking the Disney Wonder from Vancouver next Summer. This will be our first cruise with Disney and of course our first cruise with the little one. We are excited yet anxious! I appreciate the info you all contribute to the boards. It has helped me a ton!

I've been researching the boards but couldn't find info on a hotel to stay around Vancouver. We live in Florida (about 30 minutes from WDW) and therefore we would like to take this opportunity to experience Vancouver for 1 or 2 days.

Questions:

1.Is there a hotel you recommend in the area?

2. Do you think it'll be better to check out Vancouver prior to the cruise or after the cruise? Either way it works for us but wanted to get your opinion.

3. We are in contact with Dreams Unlimited and we are considering using them ... they recommended the hotels near the airport as they are close to the port and they provide transportation to the dock. I myself don't know if that is a good area or a good place to stay when we also want to check out Vancouver.

Any recommendations, suggestions, tips or tricks in regards to this matter would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you,

Ktalina
ktalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
tajz90
Mama D

We stayed at the Pan Pacific. It's sits on top of port. Easy access to ship. My kids went out and watched The Winder sail in.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We stayed at the Pan Pacific. It's sits on top of port. Easy access to ship. My kids went out and watched The Winder sail in.
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Did you get a chance to walk around and visit Vancouver or just the hotel?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

We went one night before cruise and the day after cruise while waiting on train to Seattle. Not huge Vancouver fans. We like a little more action. It's very laid back and beautiful though. We went to the Capilano Suspension Bridge for the day. Caught the bus in front of Pan Pacific. We also walked down seawall to the park for the afternoon.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

We spent three night before our Wonder cruise last summer. We stayed at the Coastal Coal harbor. It was a block back from Canada Place. Cheaper than the stuff on the water. Beautiful rooms, extremely friendly staff. It was a great place to stay. We walked to Stanley Park and rented bikes. The Hop on bus stopped on the corner. We went to Groose Mountain and did the park and the expansion bridge. Vancouver is a beautiful city. We had great weather except for one rainy day. It is an expensive city. But the front desk sent us to a wonderful Chinese restaurant!!! It was our cheapest meal there.
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
gregf71
Earning My Ears

We will be on the Wonder in August 2013 and also wanted to spend a couple days in Vancouver before embarkation. I searched 'Vancouver' on the DCL website and discovered that they have pre and post cruise packages with a couple Fairmont hotels in the area; one by the airport and one in the downtown area. We decided to add a two night stay at the Fairmont Waterfront (downtown) because we wanted to have easier access to the city sites (specifically Stanley Park), as well as the cruise ship terminal, which is only a few blocks away from the hotel. Another bonus with this package is that we can check out luggage at the hotel and have them delivered to our stateroom on the ship.
gregf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
tajz90
Mama D

Staying at Pan Pacific was reasonable. We signed on web for their deals. The Fairmont is across street and you can utilize their cruise desk if you want. We pack light and carried all of our luggage on board with us. The terminal is literally underneath hotel. Very expensive city
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for all of this information! I will definitely look into all of the hotels you mentioned. Thanks for all of the tips you provided as far as luggage, transportation, etc.

We are traveling with our baby who will be 18 months at the time of traveling. I'd love to be able to bring all my luggage as carry on but between the stroller and the baby things plus our stuff I doubt it'll happen.

I'll check the DCL deal suggested! Thanks again guys! I'm off to reading info on the Fish Extenders ... that sounds pretty cool

Ktalina
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Congrats on your upcoming cruise! We are traveling to Alaska next summer as well - what week are you going? We'll be on the July 1 sailing. It will be our third cruise...just wait until you've also got the DCL cruise bug!

There is great thread begun last summer about all the things to see and do in Vancouver. You'll find it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2283011

The Pan Pacific hotel was highly recommended there, but I found it to be out of our budget. If you read through the information in the thread, you'll see that many DISers were able to get a great rate there by searching on Priceline in the months before their trip. I'm hoping to do the same and spend the weekend before our cruise leaves checking out the city - visiting Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and Gastown

Welcome to cruising!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalina View Post
Hi there,

First time posting, long time reader. My husband, 20 month old boy and myself will be taking the Disney Wonder from Vancouver next Summer. This will be our first cruise with Disney and of course our first cruise with the little one. We are excited yet anxious! I appreciate the info you all contribute to the boards. It has helped me a ton!

I've been researching the boards but couldn't find info on a hotel to stay around Vancouver. We live in Florida (about 30 minutes from WDW) and therefore we would like to take this opportunity to experience Vancouver for 1 or 2 days.

Questions:

1.Is there a hotel you recommend in the area?

2. Do you think it'll be better to check out Vancouver prior to the cruise or after the cruise? Either way it works for us but wanted to get your opinion.

3. We are in contact with Dreams Unlimited and we are considering using them ... they recommended the hotels near the airport as they are close to the port and they provide transportation to the dock. I myself don't know if that is a good area or a good place to stay when we also want to check out Vancouver.

Any recommendations, suggestions, tips or tricks in regards to this matter would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you,

Ktalina
We booked the Fairmont Waterfront with DCL. we had to call DCL to add the hotel to the trip however. You cannot do it on the DCL site yourself. The Fairmont coordinated our luggage transfer to the ship. We only took our day totes with us when we walked across the street to the cruise ship terminal.

We like to come in at least a day early (in order to not miss the cruise departure time). Stanley Park, the aquarium or Victoria are all places you can visit prior to or after your cruise. I think you will find things to do even though you have a little one. You may find it more relaxing to come into Vancouver early for everyone to adjust to the time change (don't know exactly where you are located).
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Mackie Mouse,

Thank you very much for that link ;-) Trust me ... I've got the bug! Can it get worse than this??? LOL I'm reading all about FE right now and it sounds like a blast! OMG I've spent hours yesterday and today on this board! Love it how helpful everyone is

We are traveling on the June 24th! I'm not sure what to do between now and then! ha!

Love Priceline, had not thought about them so thank you!

Ktalina
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
We booked the Fairmont Waterfront with DCL. we had to call DCL to add the hotel to the trip however. You cannot do it on the DCL site yourself. The Fairmont coordinated our luggage transfer to the ship. We only took our day totes with us when we walked across the street to the cruise ship terminal.

We like to come in at least a day early (in order to not miss the cruise departure time). Stanley Park, the aquarium or Victoria are all places you can visit prior to or after your cruise. I think you will find things to do even though you have a little one. You may find it more relaxing to come into Vancouver early for everyone to adjust to the time change (don't know exactly where you are located).
We are in Central Florida ... Thank you for reminding about the time change ... honestly it hadn't crossed my mind yet! I'm still to excited about booking LOL

I was talking to my husband and I agree with you completely. I think we will be checking out Vancouver prior to the cruise ... it'll be more relaxing and less chaotic

Thanks for your help!!

Ktalina
Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalina View Post
Mackie Mouse,

Thank you very much for that link ;-) Trust me ... I've got the bug! Can it get worse than this??? LOL I'm reading all about FE right now and it sounds like a blast! OMG I've spent hours yesterday and today on this board! Love it how helpful everyone is

We are traveling on the June 24th! I'm not sure what to do between now and then! ha!

Love Priceline, had not thought about them so thank you!

Ktalina
Ah - we're just missing each other by one measly week! Y'know, if you wanted to shift your cruise date by seven days and hang ut with us on the 4th of July, I wouldn't complain... *whistles*....

Trust me, it gets a *lot* worse, in the best possible way. Our first cruise was a Western Caribbean for our honeymoon three years ago, and as soon as we got off the ship we regretted not booking cruise #2 on board, because we were already talking about when we would be back! We went from reluctantly participating in the FE on that first cruise to organizing the FE and CruiseMeet for next summer's Alaska cruise. I will concur that it's definitely a fun add-on to the trip! If you want some hints on good gifts we've received/given in the past, PM me One thing I will give away is that having magnets printed as part of your gift is a fun idea - we did that last time and saw them on each cruiser's door we gave them to.

Have you checked out the CruiseMeet thread fr your sailing yet?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44576398
It seems a bit quiet over there for the time being, but these threads are always a good spot to meet other people on your cruise and help organize the FE exchange.

Have a blast planning!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Mackie,

I imagined it would be that way *sigh* It's just the Magic of Disney I guess ... I'm hoping our little one will enjoy it too!

YES! I'd totally PM you in regards to the FE gifts! So far I've joined the FB group they set up for my sailing date, and posted my info on it too Too bad we are missing you ... Maybe one day we will end up on the same cruise. From the looks of it this will be my 1st but hopefully not my last Disney Cruise

Thanks again!

Ktalina
Old 07-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Mackey,

Tried PMing you but since I haven't posted much until now I cannot PM you yet ;-) I'm close to getting to the limit. I'm definitely interested in FE ideas!!!

I, however, have to say WOW! I love the thread for your cruise date ... OH MY! I'm tempted to change he he. Too bad school starts around there (I'm a teacher). Wow you are super organized!

Thanks!

Tags
alaska, hotel, the wonder, vancouver

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: