Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #811
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran
 
mickeystoontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bayou Country, La.
Posts: 25,964

So it's over already? But, you just got there. Seriously, It sound like you guys had a great trip. It's been years since we've been to Universal Studios but I know what you mean about now geting that "feeling". At Disney the "feeling" just overtakes you.
__________________

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226


mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #812
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side
 
Poolrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8,640

Always a great trip and report but so sad to come home. You will be back and that just makes you happy again.


Glad you got a little Dinsey in your US and IoA trip. Need to make it back there some time to take in the newset stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
__________________
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #813
Beth D
DIS Veteran
 
Beth D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 692

Great TR! But it's only July! You need to keep this one going until it's time to start the next one! LOL What else will i read?
__________________
Beth D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #814
dizneeat
DIS Veteran
 
dizneeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 14,653

It's over already?
No good!!!

Thanks for writing your report, Jen and thanks for all the pics posted. It really made me realize that it will be time for us to return to UO in the near future. We were last three years ago and a lot of things have changed.

Can't wait for your November trip report though!
__________________
Players: Karin Tom Find our trips here: Magicaldisneytrips
DCL: March 29 Magic/Western Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
WDW: March 28-29, April 5-6, August 15 - 22 and September 5 - 12
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #815
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Wicket's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,014

I had a great time traveling along with your TR. Someday DH & I will have to check out Universal. Would love to see the Harry Potter stuff!

I do have your new TR to look forward to this fall! See ya around FB!
__________________
wicket's mom WDW-1975 thru 1985 offsite, stayed FW in '86
CSR '02, CB'06, CSR '09, CBR '11, AKL '12, AKL '13
Fast Passes, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Fast Passes
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #816
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner
 
Caretames1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,351

That's it? You're done! Seems like you just were getting started.


I'm willing to try US someday, maybe in a few years if we take the other niece to WDW in or around 2014-15. I think I'd love to see all the fun things like Simpsons and MIB.
Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

I'm a bear if I haven't eaten either, blood sugar gets low= Watch Out!

I love listening to people in any lines, what some talk about is hilarious!

John used to have anxiety like that. He's been good for a while, but he freaked out on our first trip to WDW. We were coming back to POR at night and he couldn't remember which bus stop to get off on. I told him which one, but he didn't believe me and he was ready to bolt off the bus at any stop. I told him that he could but we wouldn't , and he breathed through it. Which brings to mind this question...Why don't men listen to us??

Stuck on a plane.....he and I both would have had issues.


Claire sure does look sad, but soon she'll have smiles all around!
__________________
2014, A Disney Free Year
IN PROGRESS: SURPRISE...You forgot WHAT!?!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3022868
SURPRISE! Can we do it again? Nov 2012 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post44413308
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #817
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
So it's over already? But, you just got there. Seriously, It sound like you guys had a great trip. It's been years since we've been to Universal Studios but I know what you mean about now geting that "feeling". At Disney the "feeling" just overtakes you.
It was a short trip...monday night to Friday afternoon. But it was fun and really took that edge off the "I need to get away feeling"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Always a great trip and report but so sad to come home. You will be back and that just makes you happy again.


Glad you got a little Dinsey in your US and IoA trip. Need to make it back there some time to take in the newset stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
it was fun...different than our norm, but I really had a good time. Adding bits of Disney was nice for me. I can't wait for the next trip. it's so close yet so far away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Great TR! But it's only July! You need to keep this one going until it's time to start the next one! LOL What else will i read?
I know. I am still writing my PTR...even though there isn't a lot going on right now with that either. I am "hoping" for another trip this fall (hopefully in Sept sometime). Still waiting on some details. It's not in my hands, so until I get some offical word (and not from Skip either, believe it or not) I just have to keep waiting and hoping it happens. I thinkg the "Tiki Gods" know I want to do this, so are delaying it as much as possible...trying to take Skips place I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
It's over already?
No good!!!

Thanks for writing your report, Jen and thanks for all the pics posted. It really made me realize that it will be time for us to return to UO in the near future. We were last three years ago and a lot of things have changed.

Can't wait for your November trip report though!
I have to say it's nice to be done with this report and have a breather for awhile. I can't post like the machine you are, working on month long trips all year long. You go girl!

Universal was great and I do hope for another trip there in the future.

We went away tractor pulling yesterday I came home to 200 Plus new emails....What the hecK? How could so many post on a Friday.

Most are facebook notifications, but today was another hectic day and I really have barely touched looking at any of them. I guess I have something to do for tomorow.....oh wait..birthday party then. Well I guess next week wil lbe when I start catching up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I had a great time traveling along with your TR. Someday DH & I will have to check out Universal. Would love to see the Harry Potter stuff!

I do have your new TR to look forward to this fall! See ya around FB!
I am so glad you followed along. And before you know it, your trip wil lbe here too!

Do try and get over there one of these years. It was really fun to experience some new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
That's it? You're done! Seems like you just were getting started.


I'm willing to try US someday, maybe in a few years if we take the other niece to WDW in or around 2014-15. I think I'd love to see all the fun things like Simpsons and MIB.
Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

I'm a bear if I haven't eaten either, blood sugar gets low= Watch Out!

I love listening to people in any lines, what some talk about is hilarious!

John used to have anxiety like that. He's been good for a while, but he freaked out on our first trip to WDW. We were coming back to POR at night and he couldn't remember which bus stop to get off on. I told him which one, but he didn't believe me and he was ready to bolt off the bus at any stop. I told him that he could but we wouldn't , and he breathed through it. Which brings to mind this question...Why don't men listen to us??

Stuck on a plane.....he and I both would have had issues.


Claire sure does look sad, but soon she'll have smiles all around!
It seems like I took forever on such a short trip...but I did take a lot of pictures.

I had a little anxiety last night too. We went tractor pulling and we came home late last night. Really late, and it was a little over 2 1/2 hours to get home. I just kept having that feeling off and on about being stuck in the truck. I kept trying to move my miond to other things. Its such an awful feeling. Being so late and my mind so foggy that it was really hard to think the happy thoughts. And fianlly I dozed off for a short time, only to pull up to a sote for a potty break for Skip. And of course us girls had to make sure to go as we had a good 1 1/2 hours before we could go again and we found that nothing was open in most of the small towns we went through.

Skip went back today, but Claire and I stayed home. We did some stuff with my Mom, sister and nieces. Then a nap, since we got home around 2:15 AM last night.

Skip wants my pictures edited...well he wil lhave to wait. he thought they would be done by 9 AM this morning...um nope!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #818
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,469

Man Jen..... that could have been our family in your car on the way back to the airport! LOL! I did enjoy Skip's comment to the BK folks. I like his style!

I do think it was cool that you got in the car and had to ask where he was going........ then ended up spur of the moment back at Universal. I always know where we're going each day so many months in advance, the odds of that happening are pretty low.

If I didn't say so, the photos of MSEP were quite wonderful. You do a great job with those. And they are very sharp. What lens were you using? I really loved the shot of Claire and the mouse. And I can't believe how empty it was along the parade route!

I love our long Disney trips, but some of our one day stops at Disney have been tons of fun too. You really can pack a ton of fun into even just one day there. You know.... as long as it's the Magic Kingdom!

I guess the consolation prize for this being over is that we have your next TR to look forward to!

Thanks again for taking us all along with you!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #819
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,440
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

I took a picture of this while we drove. It was a neat building, but kind of not near anything else.

That building is called the "I-4 eyesore" due to the fact that it's been under construction for more than ten years and as you know...still isn't finished! It's owned by a religious broadcasting company called SuperChannel. No one knows if the building will ever be completed. Here's an article from 2010 about it if you are interested:

http://westorlandonews.com/2010/10/0...or-i-4-eyesore
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #820
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Man Jen..... that could have been our family in your car on the way back to the airport! LOL! I did enjoy Skip's comment to the BK folks. I like his style!

I do think it was cool that you got in the car and had to ask where he was going........ then ended up spur of the moment back at Universal. I always know where we're going each day so many months in advance, the odds of that happening are pretty low.

If I didn't say so, the photos of MSEP were quite wonderful. You do a great job with those. And they are very sharp. What lens were you using? I really loved the shot of Claire and the mouse. And I can't believe how empty it was along the parade route!

I love our long Disney trips, but some of our one day stops at Disney have been tons of fun too. You really can pack a ton of fun into even just one day there. You know.... as long as it's the Magic Kingdom!

I guess the consolation prize for this being over is that we have your next TR to look forward to!

Thanks again for taking us all along with you!
Gosh I have to look, but the lens was a kit lens actually. It was like and 18 to something mm. Tells you a lot doesn't it?
I am actually having troubles with 2 of my other lenses. One kind of stick when I turn it to zoom. And it seems to have lost it's sharpenss. I knwo I should take it in...but I'll put it off forever because there isn't a close camera store near here. The other has had a problem from day one and it goes all whacky like it can't focus after using it. I can sometimes use it for about 3 days with no issue and sometimes only an hour. It seems to act up when I want an important picture.


Our 1 day at Mk was fun. But it was fun to be a bit more relaxed this trip too and just do some spur of the moment things.

I am ready for the nexttrip...but so many things going on before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
That building is called the "I-4 eyesore" due to the fact that it's been under construction for more than ten years and as you know...still isn't finished! It's owned by a religious broadcasting company called SuperChannel. No one knows if the building will ever be completed. Here's an article from 2010 about it if you are interested:

http://westorlandonews.com/2010/10/0...or-i-4-eyesore
Thanks for that info. I'll have t ogo and read that.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #821
annmarieda
DIS Veteran
 
annmarieda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,537

I have had good experiences at Pecos Bills... and have read good things about it. However, in December the burgers both ds and I got were pretty gross. I am not sure what happened. Your review though tells me that I should not swear them off.

Awe.. you gotta love the Tiki room (new/old version) it is so classic Disney. It reminds me of some of the things I saw on Sunday nights that aired on the Wonderful World of Disney. I am not sure exactly how it does... but something about the music maybe? I do realize though it isn't for everyone. That is the beauty of WDW... there is something for everyone!

That is too funny about the dole whip. I LOVE them.. the floats that is. I am not sure if it better in the heat. Sharing has been a must when it is cold...but when it is hot, I want a whole one to myself!!!

I love your Splash Mountain photos!

I bet that couple had no idea what the fast passes were. I think it is that type of person who leaves disney and thinks "never again" They don't get the most out of their vacation... and think that Disney is just lines...crowds...etc. Makes me sad for them.

This is such a cute picture!!!


Oh, sad day!!! I didn't realize your departure day was so near. At least you got to go back to US for a bit.

I love Claire's suitcase. I am pretty sure you mentioned before, but remind me... where did you get it?

Thanks for writing this TR! It was fun to get a glimpse at something I dont do. Dont' get me wrong...I LOVE WDW and am always thinking of how to get back, but I want to go other places...do more things.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #822
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I have had good experiences at Pecos Bills... and have read good things about it. However, in December the burgers both ds and I got were pretty gross. I am not sure what happened. Your review though tells me that I should not swear them off.

Awe.. you gotta love the Tiki room (new/old version) it is so classic Disney. It reminds me of some of the things I saw on Sunday nights that aired on the Wonderful World of Disney. I am not sure exactly how it does... but something about the music maybe? I do realize though it isn't for everyone. That is the beauty of WDW... there is something for everyone!

That is too funny about the dole whip. I LOVE them.. the floats that is. I am not sure if it better in the heat. Sharing has been a must when it is cold...but when it is hot, I want a whole one to myself!!!

I love your Splash Mountain photos!

I bet that couple had no idea what the fast passes were. I think it is that type of person who leaves disney and thinks "never again" They don't get the most out of their vacation... and think that Disney is just lines...crowds...etc. Makes me sad for them.

This is such a cute picture!!!


Oh, sad day!!! I didn't realize your departure day was so near. At least you got to go back to US for a bit.

I love Claire's suitcase. I am pretty sure you mentioned before, but remind me... where did you get it?

Thanks for writing this TR! It was fun to get a glimpse at something I dont do. Dont' get me wrong...I LOVE WDW and am always thinking of how to get back, but I want to go other places...do more things.
Thanks for reading along. I got that suitcase at the Yacht Club gift shop last summer. It was $50. Way more than I wanted to spend, but I had to have it to get all my things home and all the other options were $100 or more, so I guess this was a bargain!

It sometimes amazes me how little research people do for trips. One year I told my parents over and over to get fastpasses when they could (they had gone with my youngest sister that year) and they didn't get them till the last day because they had thought you had to pay for them, and only realized they didn't that day because I had called and asked if they were using any when they said lines were long.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #824
DonnaBoo
DIS Veteran
 
DonnaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 581

Jennifer
I absolutely loved your trip report. You have a great writing style. I felt I was right there with you. Your pictures are amazing and have really helped me in planning my own trip to Universal and Disney.

It's our 5th time to the World but our 1st time to the dark side. So, we are really excited about Universal. Your trip report actually got me more excited about going. Your family looked like they enjoyed it a lot.

So, now I'm trying to find your pretrip report for your next upcoming vacation. I must have missed the link somewhere. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks
__________________




Disney Trip#1 2006 Disney Wedding Disneymoon Dec2008 Halloween1 Sept2009 Halloween2 Sept2011 Halloween3/Universal Studios Sept2012
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!
DonnaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #825
annmarieda
DIS Veteran
 
annmarieda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Thanks for reading along. I got that suitcase at the Yacht Club gift shop last summer. It was $50. Way more than I wanted to spend, but I had to have it to get all my things home and all the other options were $100 or more, so I guess this was a bargain!

It sometimes amazes me how little research people do for trips. One year I told my parents over and over to get fastpasses when they could (they had gone with my youngest sister that year) and they didn't get them till the last day because they had thought you had to pay for them, and only realized they didn't that day because I had called and asked if they were using any when they said lines were long.
Ya know... way back, I think I had that same thought. You must have to pay for them. I mean... if you didn't why wouldn't everyone get fast passes? Didn't take me an entire trip to figure it out... but yes, that first trip.. it was a book, and then go. I did little to no planning. I don't think I even looked at a park map prior to goin.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: