Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

Smile Staying at ASMu...tips...advice

So we finally decided to stay here on our trip. We'll be staying in a regular room since we won't be in the room much anyway and my kids can still fit in a double bed. I know nothing about the value resorts. Is there a certain area I should request? What type of food is there? Is the bus the only transportation? We'll have our car but if disney transportation is quicker, we might use that (but from what I have read, it's not). I did search and found a few threads on ASMu but not much. Is this not as popular a resort as ASMo or AsSport? If so, why? Also, does anyone know if these rooms have a mini fridge? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by VeeHam; 07-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the broadway section of ASMu back in May. It was nice with the area between the two buildings decorated like a road, complete with dotted lines. The walk to the main building was about 5 minutes. I'd request broadway or jazz to be closer to the main areas. My DN4 loved the pools but she stayed in the wading pool at the guitar pool. The pools weren't heated, big turn off for us grown-ups, DN and DGP didn't care.

The food court wasn't as busy as I feared it would be. We ate dinner and breakfast there, plus filling up our mugs. The pizza section was closed when we got there around 10 for dinner. I didn't see any allergy options and the cooks didn't seem to understand. Though I will give them the benefit of the doubt since I didn't warn them ahead of time and I have some really odd allergies that makes it difficult to feed me.

There is a mini-fridge under the tv. It's hiding behind a door. While there's no freezer section, it will get cold enough to frost fruit. My DM was having a hot flash and didn't think the fridge was cold enough when we got to the room. It sure was cold enough in the morning.

The buses are the only form of Disney transport. Since you have a car, use that for all the parks except MK. The buses drop you off right in front of MK instead of the TTC. Unless the kids insist on riding the monorail or ferry boat, take the bus. You get free parking as resort guest anyway.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
jamessmith119
Earning My Ears

Not to hijack the thread, but thanks; I have similar questions about this resort. We're thinking about switching from POP to ASMu for our August trip.
jamessmith119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
KELLY
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at ASMU but it is disney and I'm sure it is fine. I think sometimes people read to much into reviews. If you go into knowing what to expect you should be fine. I will say that we stay in a value now and the bus situation is no diffrent from the other resorts we have stayed at. No covered bus stop but that don't really bother me since we don't usually wait that long anyway.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessmith119 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but thanks; I have similar questions about this resort. We're thinking about switching from POP to ASMu for our August trip.
I've never stayed at POP but I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about ASMu.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear they have mini fridges now. Can someone tell me how big they are? Will they hold a half gallon of milk, half gallon of OJ, couple bottles of H2O and cream cheese?
Thanks for the tip about the buses. I would have just driven to MK. About how long does it take drive to Epcot from ASMu? We have a YES class our first day at Epcot and we don't want to be late. Thanks again.

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Are the beds comfortable? They got new mattresses at Pop and when I stayed there last November, we had to change resorts. The beds were like sleeping on the floor. I don't know if all the buildings had hard beds, but ours were terrible. I've never stayed at ASMU and thought it might be a new value to try. Thanks!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeHam View Post
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear they have mini fridges now. Can someone tell me how big they are? Will they hold a half gallon of milk, half gallon of OJ, couple bottles of H2O and cream cheese?
Thanks for the tip about the buses. I would have just driven to MK. About how long does it take drive to Epcot from ASMu? We have a YES class our first day at Epcot and we don't want to be late. Thanks again.
The fridge is very small but you should be able to get all that in there. Just don't expect it to come back out. You might have to remove one of the shelves though. Keep an eye on the temperature as it is a bit fickle.

It took me about 8 minutes to drive from ASMu to the parking lot attendant at Epcot. Add in another 10-15 minutes to park, ride the tram, and get through the turnstile. Depending on where your class meets, I would leave 45 min - 1hr before the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Are the beds comfortable? They got new mattresses at Pop and when I stayed there last November, we had to change resorts. The beds were like sleeping on the floor. I don't know if all the buildings had hard beds, but ours were terrible. I've never stayed at ASMU and thought it might be a new value to try. Thanks!!
The bed was a little squishy for me, but I sleep on a futon usually and had a 4 yo kicking me all night. It was still much better then sleeping on the floor. I was considering moving to the floor because it was harder.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

AsMu might be my favorite WDW resort--period!! The theming around the buildings is very nice and it seems to be more quiet than most value resorts. The food court is pretty "standard". I stay at ASMus at least once a year. I was there in May and will be back in November. The CMs are all very nice. Yes, the fridge should hold what you listed, but you may have to put some itmes on their sides.

"Comfortable" is VERY subjective....I have a bad back yet I have no problems at any of the WDW resorts.

Bus service can be *anything* at ANY resort. I have never had major issues at Music, but I find that IMHO NO WDW resort has *good* service to and from DTD, especially during the day. Evenings seem to be better....
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Will be staying at ASMU for the first time near the end of August. Last trip, I took time to tour all the values (including Pop) and honestly liked ASMU best. There is lots of greenery around the resort and it did seem quieter. I especially liked the Broadway and Country areas, but the Country area is the farthest from the food court, so I requested the Broadway building. Both Broadway and Jazz are equal distance from the food court and both are considered standard rooms. You asked about "tips" and from what I have read, there are Disney movies in the evening near the pool. Also no coffee pots are in the room, so bring a travel pot if you are a big coffee drinker like myself.

Tags
all star music, asmu, mini fridge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: