Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
asmith1113
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 116

Pre/Post Nights

I've seen a lot of posts saying folks do pre/post nights and it makes sense, but when pricing it out with ABD, I was a little surprised to find it will cost $650 and $580 to add a pre/post day at the hotels on our France trip. It looks like the hotels are less than that if I would arrange a night on my own. Totally get the value of the experience, but was thinking it would be comparable to booking the hotel on my own to go through them for an extra hotel night. Do you normally go through ABD for extra nights? If you book it yourself, assume it's a separate insurance policy then? Any tips from you seasoned travelers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
asmith1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
kjd469
Addicted to WDW
 
kjd469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 618

In my experience, it's almost always cheaper to book the pre/post night on your own. If you do it this way, you will be responsible for your own transfers to or from the airport, but this has never been a big deal as there are always plenty of reliable shuttle services that can be easily booked on the web...just go to Tripadvisor, and type in the city you're going to and you will find info and customer reviews of shuttles.

Sometimes it's a break-even...for example, my upcoming Backstage Magic I looked into a pre-night and the cost of tranportation from LAX to the hotel, and it was only a little less to book it that way - in that case, I decided to book the pre-night through ABD.

But, on our recent Peru trip, the pre-night through ABD was over $350 per room (we needed 2), and I was able to book direct through the hotel for $135/room and used the hotel transfer for $15 for all 4 of us...a significant savings. We contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and asked if we could be in the same room that ABD would have us in so we wouldn't have to change rooms - they said they couldn't promise, but would try, and we were happy to find they did just that, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

We travel extensively, so are very comfortable booking things separate if it works out in our favor - I realize not everyone would be comfortable arranging their own transportation, etc., but if it doesn't bother you, it's definitely a significant savings (usually) and something to consider.
__________________
ABD Backstage Magic August 2012
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities - 2nd time! June 2012
ABD Italy/Swiss Alps July 2011
ABD Southwest Splendors July '09
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities Oct. '08
Inaugural Sailing of Disney Magic August '98
7 night Western Carib. Disney Magic October 2003
3 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2006
4 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2008
4 night DVC S.S. Member Cruise - Disney Wonder Sept. 2010
3 night Bahamas Disney Dream October 2011
7 night Eastern Carib. Disney Fantasy June 2012
www.whencanwego.blogspot.com
kjd469 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,655

I was glad we booked pre-stay through ABD in Italy. It was worth whatever it cost extra to have the ABD representative meet us at passport control in Rome and walk with us to get our bags. She was the only one meeting a party at passport control. The other drivers, so it seemed, were waiting for their parties outside of baggage claim (which, in Rome, is separated from the pickup area).

The Rome airport is a pretty good distance from town and after a sleepless overnight flight, I appreciated not having to worry about the driver (we were in a Mercedes SUV, of all things).

If I were more familiar with Rome, perhaps I would have made separate arrangements. The other thing is what if something goes wrong. Our connection in Newark was very tight because of a hold on flights getting into Newark. Fortunately, we made our flight but the last thing I would have wanted to deal with had we not was being "stranded" at a foreign, very metropolitan, airport trying to arrange for alternative transportation (in a language I do not speak).

It also helped that for us, flying in a day early saved us about $1200 in air fare.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,897
DISboards Moderator

Also...keep in mind that your pre and post night pricing includes, taxes, transfers and breakfast.

On our Viva Italia Adventure, breakfast in Venice was 70 euros.
__________________
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Also...keep in mind that your pre and post night pricing includes, taxes, transfers and breakfast.

On our Viva Italia Adventure, breakfast in Venice was 70 euros.
And the breakfast cost is per person (and what a breakfast it was) while the ABD pre-night cost (for us at least) was a flat cost for two people.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body
 
k5jmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 5,346

We did France post-nights, but we rented an Apartment near Rue Cler. It was around $100 a night and it was right in the middle of town. Amazing location. Our pre-nights in London were at the ABD hotel and there were plenty of places to eat near the hotel.
__________________

Last edited by k5jmh; 07-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
asmith1113
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 116

Great Help!

We are thinking now we'll do the pre night with them, and move to a hotel we can use our points on for the post nights. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences!
asmith1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Boardwalk_bride
Married in WDW :)
 
Boardwalk_bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd469 View Post
In my experience, it's almost always cheaper to book the pre/post night on your own. If you do it this way, you will be responsible for your own transfers to or from the airport, but this has never been a big deal as there are always plenty of reliable shuttle services that can be easily booked on the web...just go to Tripadvisor, and type in the city you're going to and you will find info and customer reviews of shuttles.

Sometimes it's a break-even...for example, my upcoming Backstage Magic I looked into a pre-night and the cost of tranportation from LAX to the hotel, and it was only a little less to book it that way - in that case, I decided to book the pre-night through ABD.

But, on our recent Peru trip, the pre-night through ABD was over $350 per room (we needed 2), and I was able to book direct through the hotel for $135/room and used the hotel transfer for $15 for all 4 of us...a significant savings. We contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and asked if we could be in the same room that ABD would have us in so we wouldn't have to change rooms - they said they couldn't promise, but would try, and we were happy to find they did just that, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

We travel extensively, so are very comfortable booking things separate if it works out in our favor - I realize not everyone would be comfortable arranging their own transportation, etc., but if it doesn't bother you, it's definitely a significant savings (usually) and something to consider.
How many days did you go ahead of the tour? We want to see more of Lima, since it doesn't seem that ABD doesn't cover much of it, and are not sure how much time we need for that. Do you think 1 full day is enough?

The tip on booking directly through the hotel is great
__________________
Boardwalk_bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
kjd469
Addicted to WDW
 
kjd469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk_bride View Post
How many days did you go ahead of the tour? We want to see more of Lima, since it doesn't seem that ABD doesn't cover much of it, and are not sure how much time we need for that. Do you think 1 full day is enough?

The tip on booking directly through the hotel is great
We went one day ahead and did the open air bus tour, which was 4 hours with a few stops to get off and stretch your legs - it gave us a really good overview of the city...we booked that through the concierge at the hotel. We also had plenty of time to explore the Arcomar shopping district down by the water, and that pretty much covered most everything we wanted to do/see, so we felt that one extra day was plenty.

Definitely check the prices on the hotel website, and book as far in advance as you can. Also, breakfast is included with that price, and it's a really great breakfast at that hotel!
__________________
ABD Backstage Magic August 2012
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities - 2nd time! June 2012
ABD Italy/Swiss Alps July 2011
ABD Southwest Splendors July '09
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities Oct. '08
Inaugural Sailing of Disney Magic August '98
7 night Western Carib. Disney Magic October 2003
3 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2006
4 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2008
4 night DVC S.S. Member Cruise - Disney Wonder Sept. 2010
3 night Bahamas Disney Dream October 2011
7 night Eastern Carib. Disney Fantasy June 2012
www.whencanwego.blogspot.com
kjd469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
paddles
Mouseketeer
 
paddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 165

If you're looking for pre or post nights in Paris, I think you're better off booking the hotel on your own if its a lot cheaper than ABD.

You can catch a taxi from CDG airport (and they have plenty of vans there if you have a larger party or lots of luggage), and the cost one way is about 60 Euros.

Breakfast is also easy to find in Paris...lots of cafes and brasseries to get lovely cafe au lait and croissant.

just my 2 cents.
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer
 
LionKingRules84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Also...keep in mind that your pre and post night pricing includes, taxes, transfers and breakfast.

On our Viva Italia Adventure, breakfast in Venice was 70 euros.
Would this be the case with the Dis Knights and Lights trip? I was under the impression we did not have breakfast included when I booked the pre nights in London just the transfer from the airport. Just want to know so I don't plan to have breakfast somewhere else if already paid for it at the hotel.

Even so I personally thought it was worth it for the transfer alone to book with ABD, the pre-nights anyway. One less thing I have to plan and book on my own. Plus I was able to spend that time I would have on booking it on my own on other things I wanted to do post adventure since I'm staying in France about a week after the adventure ends.

It's all on what's worth it to you. I also like that I get to (hopefully) stay in the same room a couple extra days instead of changing rooms, knowing the weird way some hotels book people I would expect that to happen.
__________________

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
tufbuf
Disney Addict!
 
tufbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post
Would this be the case with the Dis Knights and Lights trip? I was under the impression we did not have breakfast included when I booked the pre nights in London just the transfer from the airport. Just want to know so I don't plan to have breakfast somewhere else if already paid for it at the hotel.

Even so I personally thought it was worth it for the transfer alone to book with ABD, the pre-nights anyway. One less thing I have to plan and book on my own. Plus I was able to spend that time I would have on booking it on my own on other things I wanted to do post adventure since I'm staying in France about a week after the adventure ends.

It's all on what's worth it to you. I also like that I get to (hopefully) stay in the same room a couple extra days instead of changing rooms, knowing the weird way some hotels book people I would expect that to happen.
If you booked the pre-nights with ABD, breakfast is included. And if you book post-nights with them, you should stay in the same room.

Another note on booking pre-nights with ABD, all our checked-in luggage missed the connection to Athens. The ABD person, who was very good (just forgot his name!), who met us at luggage claim took us right away to the lost luggage counter and help facilitate the paperwork. He also notified the porter that our luggages are not with us so he can take the other family's luggage to the waiting coach. All these little conveniences is really worth the few extra bucks, IMO.
__________________



ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,897
DISboards Moderator

I agree with everything tufbuf says!
__________________
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer
 
LionKingRules84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 408

Awesome! One less thing to plan and worry about now! Already feeling better about booking those pre-nights in London!

Getting there and getting adjusted is always the hardest for me, the less I have to worry about the better off I am.
__________________

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.