Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #16
dis75ney
Member of the Royal Society For Putting Things On Top Of Other Things...
My feet will stay firmly planted on the ground where they belong

Location: Land of four seasons: Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Road Construction...

I want a vow renewal because I want to have the wedding I always wanted. I have always wanted to elope and/or have a destination wedding, because I knew that having a wedding at home would involve a ton of drama that I didn't want to deal with on what was supposed to be a happy day. Plus, I have a hard time being the center of attention (despite my extracurricular activities). But DH really wanted to have the big wedding so 1. his parents could attend (they were older and weren't able to travel farther than 300 miles), and 2. DMIL could see us get married in the Catholic church. This was much more important to DH than to me, so I compromised. He could have the big wedding, and I would get my vow renewal/dream wedding at WDW.

Also, we have been through so much together and have weathered every storm while so many of our friends and family are breaking up/getting divorced. A VR seems like the perfect way to reaffirm our love from when we were younger, and express how much that love has grown and matured over the years...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I'm planning on us having a VR when I retire in 8 years and 358 days (but who's counting? ) Me and DH are retiring to FL, where most of his family lives (1/2 are in NY, 1/2 are in FL) About ever-other-year, they have a huge family reunion, either in FL or NY. I'm thinking of planning our VR around one of the family reunions, so it will be a huge celebration of our new lives with all the family (It's a HUGE clan!!).

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

I like the comment that someone isn't trying to save a crumbling marriage but rather celebrating a successful one. My husband and I have been married 12 years (both were married before) and when we met we waited over 6 before we did marry because we wanted to be sure it was right.

At that point we just wanted to be husband and wife and so we did the courthouse thing. Our daughters (one each) were 9 then and in school and were not at the courthouse, something they never let us forget.

We would love to renew our vows on our trip in May but I can't see the expense ~ only the four of us will be traveling and a minimum package of around $2K is just too much.

I thought of having a JP help us renew our vows at MK but have heard that Disney is not fond of that sort of thing ~ they want you to purchase a package.

So, I'm considering finding a lovely spot where we can stand alone just the four of us and renew our vows to each other and maybe having each of the girls read something special that they write or find somewhere that is significant to the day.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post
I like the comment that someone isn't trying to save a crumbling marriage but rather celebrating a successful one. My husband and I have been married 12 years (both were married before) and when we met we waited over 6 before we did marry because we wanted to be sure it was right.

At that point we just wanted to be husband and wife and so we did the courthouse thing. Our daughters (one each) were 9 then and in school and were not at the courthouse, something they never let us forget.

We would love to renew our vows on our trip in May but I can't see the expense ~ only the four of us will be traveling and a minimum package of around $2K is just too much.

I thought of having a JP help us renew our vows at MK but have heard that Disney is not fond of that sort of thing ~ they want you to purchase a package.

So, I'm considering finding a lovely spot where we can stand alone just the four of us and renew our vows to each other and maybe having each of the girls read something special that they write or find somewhere that is significant to the day.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Is your heart set on renewing them in FLA? Because maybe where you met? Or where you first met each others children? Something special to just you. I too can not justify the expense. I would rather do something special while on vacation for everyone to enjoy. So, as I said earlier we are renewing at home, then vacationing in WDW. good luck and enjoy!

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

My heart isn't set on it, but just thought that since we all love Disney so much, it would be a great place to do it. Thought about doing it on the actual anniversary date but that's a Sunday and will most likely be the graduation date for my daughter (given history of the past few years) ~ at least there is time to think about options!!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
MelodyTime
Mouseketeer

We renewed our vows for our 25th Anniversary

My DH and I renewed our vows this past February for our 25th Anniversary. Like others, we have a great marriage and we simply chose a VR at WDW as our method of celebrating our 25 years together. We had many reasons for choosing WDW as our venue: 1. We had a budget wedding back in 1987 with very few "extras". While it was nice, it certainly wasn't a dream wedding. 2. We looked at other VR spots like Maui but kept coming back to WDW because it meant so much to us in our married life. It was where we spent our honeymoon, it was where we took our son every year. It held lots and lots of wonderful memories for us. 3. It was important for us to include our families. My dad is a double amputee with prosthetics and it was important to us to have a location that he could access. Disney does such a wonderful job with the disabled and they were so wonderful with him. 4. Who doesn't want to be a Disney Princess...even if it is just for a day!

Did people think we were silly.....YES! We had family members tell us it was a waste of money, we were already married...why did we feel a need to do it again. We had family members who decided not to attend. At first it really bothered us but then we realized this is what WE wanted to do...this is how WE wanted to celebrate. We wanted people to attend but if they chose not too it didn't change the fact that we were celebrating our anniversary.

Did people wonder why we were doing it....YES! We had people who thought that we must have had something major happen in our marriage. We had people who actually thought that they missed us getting divorced and now we were getting remarried! People who asked, I explained that we simply were celebrating.

It was a wonderful day and memories that I will cherish the rest of my life. I look at the pictures and I can't help but smile. Don't let what other people think deter you....if this is how you want to celebrate....do it...you won't regret it!
MelodyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyTime View Post
My DH and I renewed our vows this past February for our 25th Anniversary. Like others, we have a great marriage and we simply chose a VR at WDW as our method of celebrating our 25 years together. We had many reasons for choosing WDW as our venue: 1. We had a budget wedding back in 1987 with very few "extras". While it was nice, it certainly wasn't a dream wedding. 2. We looked at other VR spots like Maui but kept coming back to WDW because it meant so much to us in our married life. It was where we spent our honeymoon, it was where we took our son every year. It held lots and lots of wonderful memories for us. 3. It was important for us to include our families. My dad is a double amputee with prosthetics and it was important to us to have a location that he could access. Disney does such a wonderful job with the disabled and they were so wonderful with him. 4. Who doesn't want to be a Disney Princess...even if it is just for a day!

Did people think we were silly.....YES! We had family members tell us it was a waste of money, we were already married...why did we feel a need to do it again. We had family members who decided not to attend. At first it really bothered us but then we realized this is what WE wanted to do...this is how WE wanted to celebrate. We wanted people to attend but if they chose not too it didn't change the fact that we were celebrating our anniversary.

Did people wonder why we were doing it....YES! We had people who thought that we must have had something major happen in our marriage. We had people who actually thought that they missed us getting divorced and now we were getting remarried! People who asked, I explained that we simply were celebrating.

It was a wonderful day and memories that I will cherish the rest of my life. I look at the pictures and I can't help but smile. Don't let what other people think deter you....if this is how you want to celebrate....do it...you won't regret it!
Melodytime, Congratluations on your 25 years! I think you stated this perfectly! You touched on so many of the points I was feeling when DH & I decided to renew our vows. (ultimately we decided not to renew at WDW, but celebrate there, but these are the reasons we considered it. and we will be celebrating the VR there. We may even renew again for our 40th or 50th who knows.)To the op ... celebrate how you want to celebrate. I'm sure there were skeptics the first time around too. ( I know we had several...dozen. ).

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
MelodyTime
Mouseketeer

Thanks Deesknee! I would also love to do this again for our 50th. The Disney cast members were telling us to make sure we come back then to celebrate again! I would highly recommend a VR to anyone who wants one!
MelodyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
coastermom
Proud Redhead
I am not crazy just like my job
This makes the decision much easier
ROLLERCOASTERS ARE MY LIFE

We went to WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary in Jan .. We were married on Feb 1 ,1992 . We had a wedding with our family in a Knights of Columbus hall and it was not the fairy tale I wanted . I did get a dress off the rack what ever fit and my parents paid for the hall we paid for everything else . I was prego with my first and everyone swore it would never last !! It was a very stressful wedding . Now that we are married for 20 years I want to start to save now for a 25th anniversary wedding VR ! Everyone thinks I am crazy but we just love WDW so much I think it is the best thing to do !! Looking forward to the dream wedding I missed !! I say if you can just do it !

coastermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

It's a shame in the world today, that when someone wants to renew their wedding vows that people automatically think that something must have been majorly wrong in the marriage and maybe a renewal will "fix things."

Wouldn't it be nice to change the thinking pattern so that when a couple wants to renew their vows, it truly means that they take their vows seriously and just want to celebrate something so wonderful !!!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #26
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post
It's a shame in the world today, that when someone wants to renew their wedding vows that people automatically think that something must have been majorly wrong in the marriage and maybe a renewal will "fix things."

Wouldn't it be nice to change the thinking pattern so that when a couple wants to renew their vows, it truly means that they take their vows seriously and just want to celebrate something so wonderful !!!!!

Considering the reasons people are renewing and the time that they have been married. We really should celebrate the fact that people are happily married after so many years of marriage.

I have loved reading the reasoning behind everyones renewal. It is has been very encouraging.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #27
trudy88
Mouseketeer

Smile

We wanted to make memories when we had our VR (which was an at home Disney VR followed by a familymoon at Disney World). Our original wedding was at a church fish fry. We didn't feel our VR was a "do over" of our original vows, but new vows celebrating our ongoing committment to God, each other and our grown children.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

DH and I will be renewing our vows at 10 years which is next year. WOW time flies when your having fun, We are thinking about a small renewal and then going to DL for another Mickeymoon, which is what we had at WDW the 1st time or maybe we might just might head to WDW.

DH and I are still crazy in love and are super happy, this just will add to our memories. Which at the end is all you have is love and memories..
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone
DH and I will be renewing our vows at 10 years which is next year. WOW time flies when your having fun, We are thinking about a small renewal and then going to DL for another Mickeymoon, which is what we had at WDW the 1st time or maybe we might just might head to WDW.

DH and I are still crazy in love and are super happy, this just will add to our memories. Which at the end is all you have is love and memories..
That is very sweet. Post pictures please!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #30
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Love all your comments....we have a smililar story line.

We were married in 1988, we were young, we had everything we wanted, and we were in love!! Went to Disney for our Honeymoon and have returned there many times and have made wonderful memories. Disney hadn't started doing the wedding/honeymoon thing that they have today.

For our 10th, still quite in love, we did a private thing in Disney at OKW on our balcony and then went to France for dinner with our friends. Disney didn't have a VR "thing" yet so we had no issues doing it this way. Apparently today, there might be an issue if you do this without Disney permission.

For our 20th, very much madly in love, we did it big on the cruise and have such incredible memories with our friends and family that could come...especially for our oldest son who was 7 at the time....he loved being our "ring" bearer.

We are hoping that in 5.5 years we will do it all again in Hawaii with our 2 sons who are thrilled that their parents adore each other enough to make that commitment again and again.

I personally feel that it is important to tell each other every day how much you mean to each other and affirming your commitment helps bond you over and over again.

And, yes, we have family and friends who think we are crazy.....and I answer yes, crazy in love with each other.

Have fun....
Cheryl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: