Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #61
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boogersmom View Post
...and THIS is why I will pay extra for Disney!!!
Exactly!
I was so "flustered" that I was barely able to take the picture! I just started snapping away! It all happened really fast, and was over really fast, and then DS and I stared at each other for a sec and just smiled!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #62
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Boat sweet Boat!

We were back at about 1:15. Off went two teens to the Vibe, and off went DS13 and I to deck 9!! Pluto burgers and fries for lunch, then a soak in the hot tub.

Life. Is. Good! The movie was Cars, I think. Well, we were soon joined by the teens, as the Vibe wouldn't do an activity for only 2 "kids"!! They said it was a security thing, they could only have kids in the club if there were 3 or more. Never heard that before. I even called Guest Services who confirmed it. That was a bit of a bummer. But we moved on. Burgers helped!

4pm, and though I'd considered going back out to browse the shopping stalls in the terminal, instead I heeded the call of the Quiet Cove! I enjoyed some adult Jacuzzi time, chatting with two couples in the tub. Then I hit the Spa – well, the showers in the Spa! Lovely showers with spouting water, conditioner and shampoo and body wash in the shower, body lotion, toner and cleanser in the changing room, even cotton balls, Q-tips and disposable razors! And of course very nice robes and big towels! Oh, and a scale. I didn't use that. And a sauna. Didn't do that either. Lemon water and special tea bags.

How to feel pampered without any special arrangement.

Back in the cabin, I found one sleeping DH and four awake teens. So we (minus sleeping beauty) went for a good explore. We walked from aft all the way forward, hung out at Topsiders eating more ice cream, and watched the sailaway from Halifax.

This CM was having his picture taken against the backdrop of Eastern Canada - wonder if he was able to get off the boat at all?

By Halifax! It was nice!

Dinner was at Lumiere's, and tonight was Herman Family Dress Up Night. Due to the slight shift in scheduling, DD15 and I didn't wear our really dressy dresses, but the rest wore what they would have. In other words, DD15 and I matched them better this way!

Did I mention that Israelis don't really "do" dress up? We were happy to have neat and matching!

After dinner we did a buying frenzy at the store. A $479 OBC helped! We never even used it up! (The leftover was returned to our Disney Rewards card!). Then "Villains Tonight" for 4, movie up on Deck 9 for me and DD15. We wrapped up in fleece blankets provided by the CMs, drank hot cocoa and coffee, and watched Lady and the Tramp. It was one of my personal Magical Moments.

Boat swaying, but no problems, no motion sickness at all. And we slept, quite well… Until ……..

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-26-2012 at 05:43 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #64
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
A great wrap up of the day.
Thanks! It was a really fun day! The combo of port time and ship time was really perfect.

I forgot to say that as we sailed away, we saw two real lighthouses - the very scenic one I took the picture of , and about 10 minutes later a bigger less pretty but quite important looking one, on the other side of the boat. That was fun, too!

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #65
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Thanks! It was a really fun day! The combo of port time and ship time was really perfect.

I forgot to say that as we sailed away, we saw two real lighthouses - the very scenic one I took the picture of , and about 10 minutes later a bigger less pretty but quite important looking one, on the other side of the boat. That was fun, too!
That would be so cool to see too. I would probably take about 15 of each.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #66
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
That would be so cool to see too. I would probably take about 15 of each.
I did take at least 15 of each lighthouse!!! Oh the wonder of digital photography! I only posted my favorite of the sailaway one (I had a series, approaching, passing, after looking back ... very exciting). That little one on the island (George's Island) is right where the boat docks - geez you could photograph that for 12 straight hours!

!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #67
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

"israelis don't do dress up" - we had this discussion on the RCCL board over at cruise critic....explaining why DSIL doesn't even own a suit....
in any case, they'll be in alaska - who dresses up in alaska? certainly not alaskans!!

the only long pants DSIL owns are jeans - so that's what he's going to be in on formal night on the ship...jeans with a nice shirt and his fleece lined rain parka (purchased especially for alaska)...people will just have to deal with it...
and DD will probably be dressed similarly.....it's too cold to wear a dress!!!

they're already in alaska (not on the cruise yet, inland alaska)...they've been wearing long underwear under their clothes and their fleece lined parkas, and wool socks....and feel perfectly fine...meanwhile, the locals are in shorts and tshirts!!! funny!
kind of the reverse of israel....in the winter, you can always pick out the tourists...they're in shorts and tshirts while israelis are in snow suits...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #68
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Yes! And it's not a matter of "respect", it's a cultural thing! They consider their clean jeans to be quite "respectable". That's why I didn't fight it. As long as they felt dressed nicely, that was the goal.
My DH rarely wears shorts, and even in the summer puts a long sleeved button up shirt over his t-shirt - protects from the sun! WHATEVER. If we ever go to Alaska he'll definitely need long johns!
Happy weekend, all!

!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #69
LittleGirlGrey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
"israelis don't do dress up" - we had this discussion on the RCCL board over at cruise critic....explaining why DSIL doesn't even own a suit....
in any case, they'll be in alaska - who dresses up in alaska? certainly not alaskans!!

Hey now! We Alaskans dress up! Not all the time, but we do. :-D

And to be quite honost, there are some pretty snobby Alaskans. I used to work at Nordstroms in the 5th Ave mall and they could get CRAZY!

Still enjoying your TR! :-D

One word love; curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist.
LittleGirlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #70
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mini-Sidebar: MAGICAL MOMENT!

Because this was such a great moment, it deserves it's own post!
We were on Deck 4 after breakfast on Halifax morning. It was still hazy out and we were admiring the harbor and the little island and lighthouse. DS15 usually has a need to do acrobatic things when he sees neat places.

First, he did this:

Then this:

Then I saw this!

Then this!!!

Finally, this!

MAGICAL MOMENT. PURE. And FOREVER!
That is SO AWESOME. Love it!

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #72
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Art of Entertaining was held once on each sea day in the Studio Sea lounge. It was free and no registration required. They have print outs of the recipes and if you arrive late you will definitely have place (it's a big studio) but they may run out of recipe pages. I did the "main course" (salmon) and on the second sea day, the "dessert" (apple strudel). They also talk about making dessert for a whole ship, how much they need, who does what jobs, what kind of salmon, etc. It's chatty and fun!
Thanks for this info. I am planning on doing the first one also. I think the one on the second sea day is when we have our Palo Brunch scheduled.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #73
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Yes! And it's not a matter of "respect", it's a cultural thing! They consider their clean jeans to be quite "respectable". That's why I didn't fight it. As long as they felt dressed nicely, that was the goal.
My DH rarely wears shorts, and even in the summer puts a long sleeved button up shirt over his t-shirt - protects from the sun! WHATEVER. If we ever go to Alaska he'll definitely need long johns!
Happy weekend, all!
they're on the ship now - i just checked the weather for every port they visit this week....the warmest temperature all week will be 59 degrees

and on the ship it's even colder with the wind!!

so really....formal night in that weather????????????
are they insane???????????????????

i can't remember where you live....jerusalem? modiin?

we're in raanana - 59 degrees is colder than it ever gets during the day...59 degrees? dead dead dead dead dead of winter....gloves and ear muffs weather at the very least....certainly not formal attire weather...

the funny thing is, on the super snooty cruise line, the dress code is completely relaxed in alaska, for the reasons already stated...it's just too darn cold!!!! but on RCCL - a mass market cruise line, the forum goes all up in arms if someone questions the need for a formal night in frigid alaska...

anyway, DD and DSIL will wear whatever they wear...i also noticed that there's an 80% chance of rain every single day they're on the cruise...so temps in the 50's with rain.....sounds like formal weather to me indeed

i'm enjoying your trip report!! halifax looks interesting....
the surgeon who replaced my elbow a few weeks ago is originally from halifax! he also lives in raanana...a bit of a change from halifax to raanana
Old 07-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #74
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

We're in Modi'in; have never met anyone from Halifax here!!!! Toronto, yes, Halifax, nope!
59 and Rainy - yikes! Hope they see some beautiful sights, though! My friend lives in Anchorage and she sent me a picture of her and her family in shorts walking over rocks at a "beach" - so maybe they'll get that weather too!

!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #75
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
We're in Modi'in; have never met anyone from Halifax here!!!! Toronto, yes, Halifax, nope!
59 and Rainy - yikes! Hope they see some beautiful sights, though! My friend lives in Anchorage and she sent me a picture of her and her family in shorts walking over rocks at a "beach" - so maybe they'll get that weather too!
the area where the cruises are has different weather from inland alaska (where anchorage is)..
the cruise area (ketchikan, skagway, juneau) is inundated with rain all summer (increasing as the summer progresses)...

DD had mostly good weather for their week in inland alaska, but their cruise week looks typically rainy for that area....no matter...they have all the appropriate rain gear....rain pants to go over their regular pants....fleece lined rain jacket...long underwear....wool socks.....waterproof hiking boots......they will be fine...

i have never met anyone here from halifax either!!!!! when i heard he's canadian, i assumed toronto or montreal....in a million years, i wouldn't have guessed halifax!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: