Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

THANK YOU Cafeen! You and your spreadsheet are amazing . Funny thing: I found it a few days ago in the middle of a post while searching for another subject. Was playing around with it and thought this needed to be bumped back up and here it is!

Have a question: when I apply "yes" to the apply the TiW card, it doesn't change anything (show the discount). Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.
princessaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Hello from Tuscaloosa! (My family is from Daphne -just across the bay )

I tried downloading the spread sheet and I think it downloaded but then I had no clue how to use it..... alas, I am computer challenged....

Are you available for private consult? JUST KIDDING!

I have a variety of plans. My challenge is some meals are out of pocket, some are on Dining Plan, Some we will pay for with dining plan, Some we will use the DVC discount and some the TIW discount. (DVC is 10% for up to 8 people, and TIW is 10-20% for 10 people) My group is 11 adults, 1 child and 1 infant (well, a 20month old who will need to eat)

I am going to keep trying and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong with the download. It keeps sending error messages.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessaloha View Post
THANK YOU Cafeen! You and your spreadsheet are amazing . Funny thing: I found it a few days ago in the middle of a post while searching for another subject. Was playing around with it and thought this needed to be bumped back up and here it is!

Have a question: when I apply "yes" to the apply the TiW card, it doesn't change anything (show the discount). Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.
Thanks .

TiW is a little different than the others. The only "switch" with TiW is QS vs TS. QS won't apply the gratuity or the TiW discount, TS will. It's something I haven't had a chance to program into the sheet (didn't think about it until someone mentioned it). Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Hello from Tuscaloosa! (My family is from Daphne -just across the bay )

I tried downloading the spread sheet and I think it downloaded but then I had no clue how to use it..... alas, I am computer challenged....

Are you available for private consult? JUST KIDDING!

I have a variety of plans. My challenge is some meals are out of pocket, some are on Dining Plan, Some we will pay for with dining plan, Some we will use the DVC discount and some the TIW discount. (DVC is 10% for up to 8 people, and TIW is 10-20% for 10 people) My group is 11 adults, 1 child and 1 infant (well, a 20month old who will need to eat)

I am going to keep trying and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong with the download. It keeps sending error messages.
Phew, that's a tricky concept, and the sheet won't be able to handle all of that by itself. The closest you can do is collect the dining plan totals and enter those into the boxes, then figure out the discounted totals plus any non-discounted OOP stuff and enter that into the Misc box. Don't think it's going to give you as good numbers though and the analysis portion may get funky. No harm giving it a shot and seeing what comes up though.

As far as the errors, what browser are you using? And what does the error message say?

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
Srbright
Mouseketeer

I downloaded and used the spreadsheet this week. Based on our family of 4, 2 adult, 2 children, it says we will save about $1100. Based on the sheets calculations we are saving 50.1%. We are getting the free QS and we upgraded to deluxe. Granted most of our savings comes because we have 3 signature reservations for a seven day trip plus CRT.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
debjk4
Mouseketeer

I told myself

I would not look at it because, well, I was a little intimidated! But I did, and while I am still a little intimidated , I really can't wait to fill it in!!

Thank you for the awesomeness that is that spreadsheet! Now I must go study menus and get to work!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #36
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
I downloaded and used the spreadsheet this week. Based on our family of 4, 2 adult, 2 children, it says we will save about $1100. Based on the sheets calculations we are saving 50.1%. We are getting the free QS and we upgraded to deluxe. Granted most of our savings comes because we have 3 signature reservations for a seven day trip plus CRT.

Stacy
Sounds like a lot, is this using the FD calc? (It makes much more sense if so heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjk4 View Post
I would not look at it because, well, I was a little intimidated! But I did, and while I am still a little intimidated , I really can't wait to fill it in!!

Thank you for the awesomeness that is that spreadsheet! Now I must go study menus and get to work!
It IS a lot , but it's worth it in the end.

---
V5.1
I just updated the sheet slightly.
  1. Found a bug with TiW - It was triggering off the selection of QS/TS on the first meal of each day rather than per meal.
  2. Redid the TiW column to use the "Pay with Plan" dropdown (Yes/No) to select that you are using the card or not. (Which, of course, invalidates the first bug here... but that's ok, I fixed it TWICE so it's TWICE as fixed!)
  3. Fixed a bug with DDP total cost if you selected that you'd buy the mug (it was adding to the cost, I forgot the 2012 change there )
  4. Removed the mugs from the cost per credit calculations. They were doing some funky things and since all levels include them now, they're actually free! (For the sake of these estimates)
  5. Added totals for each part of the meal (previously App and Misc). They aren't used anywhere, but, you know, just for consistency
  6. Cleaned up fields in the TiW and OOP entries - Blanked/Blacked them out where they weren't needed.
  7. Added a value notification if you are saving less than 10% on a particular plan (DxDDP, DDP, QSDP)
  8. Added and cleaned up some assorted text and stuff to make it a bit clearer (e.g. "# Credits" became "# Credits (each)", added $0.00 into fields where money should go)
Ok, yeah, that's "slightly". I didn't mean it as a sarcastic "slightly" originally...it just grew.

An interesting find
I think I accidentally have proved Cheshire Figment wrong in something. For awhile now, we've accepted that TiW actually saves 21.30% because the tax is applied after discount. It makes sense right? Since on a $100 meal, you'd save $21.30 over not using the card. But that's post tax vs pre-tax. Post tax on the original meal would be $106.5 and $21.30 is ... 20% of $106.5. (Note, his ~$352 break-even number remains the same).

A word on the TiW savings percentage on the sheet
TiW savings will look a little funky though, since it takes the total savings vs the cost without TiW (aka OOP on the sheet). This is because of tipping (no Nala, I'm not discussing tipping on here ). Since you are adding the same amount to both sides of the calculation (Total Cost and If OOP), the savings value remains the same while the "If OOP" cost goes up (as does the Total Cost). This means that the savings value becomes a different percentage of the "If OOP" cost, and therefore the percentage of that number changes. For example, using the $100 meal above, an 18% tip would make the base costs rise by $18 changing that 106.40 number to $124.50, but your savings remains at $21.30 or 17.11%. Uppping this to 20%, we see a total of $126.50 while the savings value remains at $21.30, or 16.84%. Now, this doesn't mean you're saving any less value, just the ratio of the money saved to what it would cost is lower. It's just a heads up .

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)

Last edited by Cafeen; 07-23-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Again, THANK YOU Cafeen! Incredible job and incredibly generous to share it with everyone.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #38
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Yes, it is using the FD calculation. Without it the savings is around 30%. However the calculations do not take into account a couple of breakfasts we are paying OOP to have dinner at HBD, CG and CRT.

We are not big breakfast people so $10 for breakfast is plenty.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Hello Cafeen , sorry to bother you but I have a question regarding the spread sheet that I hope you can help me with. On the first page summary, under "apply Tiw***", it appears to me that you are saying we can use the TiW card in conjunction with the DxDDP. Is that the case? Because on the spreadsheet it shows double savings on that line.

TIA!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #40
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello Cafeen , sorry to bother you but I have a question regarding the spread sheet that I hope you can help me with. On the first page summary, under "apply Tiw***", it appears to me that you are saying we can use the TiW card in conjunction with the DxDDP. Is that the case? Because on the spreadsheet it shows double savings on that line.

TIA!
Yep, that's the case. It's meant to simulate using the TiW card to get savings on stuff that isn't covered by the plan. The display is a little wonky and I can probably clarify it in a future version, but that line itself is cost of the non-covered items OOP, plus tax, plus gratuity, plus the cost of the card (if you'd need to buy it). So basically, it would replace the "OOP Expenses" line.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of Excel (well, really, it's due to the limitations of the UI of the sheet, I don't want to add yet another selection for each plan), this is triggered differently than the normal TiW itinerary. Only TS will be discounted, and further, if you decide to pay with the plan, the items that aren't covered by that plan will be discounted.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafeen View Post
Yep, that's the case. It's meant to simulate using the TiW card to get savings on stuff that isn't covered by the plan. The display is a little wonky and I can probably clarify it in a future version, but that line itself is cost of the non-covered items OOP, plus tax, plus gratuity, plus the cost of the card (if you'd need to buy it). So basically, it would replace the "OOP Expenses" line.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of Excel (well, really, it's due to the limitations of the UI of the sheet, I don't want to add yet another selection for each plan), this is triggered differently than the normal TiW itinerary. Only TS will be discounted, and further, if you decide to pay with the plan, the items that aren't covered by that plan will be discounted.
Good to know! The savings is huge with both the Dining Plan and the TiW.

Another question (you can tell me to stop bothering you), the "total cost" line on the DxDDP added approx $800 to the plan. Is that really how much the tax on the plan is? That's about 26% tax.

TIA
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #42
goofy1977
Earning My Ears

Dining Menus

What website is the best source for dining menus to estimate what we will be ordering or where we will be dining?
goofy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #43
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1977 View Post
What website is the best source for dining menus to estimate what we will be ordering or where we will be dining?
I used two at one time. Allears and the Dis boards menus (but don't go through the links on the Dis, for some reason it kept saying there were no menus for this restaurant at this time. Better to do a search with wdw in it. For example: Boma menu wdw: then look for the links with wdw.info.com***)

I used the two because Dis menus included info on whether it took the dining plan, how many credits and/or Tiw card, plus it included children's menu info where as Allears did not include any of these but their menus were much more extensive. I would look at the Dis and mark on the spread sheet all the credits and Tiw and kid's menu, then switch to Allears for picking out the adult choices.

ETA: the link at the top of the forum seems to be working for the Dis menus!

Last edited by princessaloha; 07-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #44
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good to know! The savings is huge with both the Dining Plan and the TiW.

Another question (you can tell me to stop bothering you), the "total cost" line on the DxDDP added approx $800 to the plan. Is that really how much the tax on the plan is? That's about 26% tax.

TIA
"Total Cost" takes the following into account: Plan cost, out of pocket items (plus tax on those), and gratuities across all meals and snacks. If you want, you can ship the sheet on over to the email address contained within (just remove any personal info from it, not that there's places for personal info, but I write that as a disclaimer anyway ) and I can take a look at it. I test it with my trips, which are solo so the data may not be as full as ideal.

And I'd never stop someone from "bothering" me, if anything, I'd just ignore them and move on . Besides, with my web-version under development, you're providing me with different things to think about in terms of UI and such .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1977 View Post
I use 3, AllEars.net is my "go-to" one. Second, I will use the menus available for some restaurants on the Disney official site*. Last I may look at the menus on the DIS.

*To get to these, simply go to http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ and click "Where to Eat" at the top. When that comes up, look to the right side for the Restaurant List, and click "Go". This will bring up a horribly designed list of all the restaurants in the world. Click the filters along the left to filter them down. When selecting the restaurant, I'd advice to Right Click and open in a new tab for each restaurant, otherwise, the horribly designed list will lose the filter when you click the back button, and then you'll have to drill down again.

For the DIS menus, I suggest clicking on Restaurants rather than Menus, their menu search can be wonky. Also, for any buffets and the like, they're going to give you the crappy "buckets" that the WDW official site gives you, and those are 100% useless.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

I have to add to the praise!

I had been using this other spreadsheet that I found on the other board that let you compare one dining plan against OOP or TiW, and that was working ok for deciding on dining plan at all. But THIS is beyond my wildest dreams!

Question, although I think it's obvious I will ask anyway. The meal details are per person right? So if I am entering data in Meal 1 for Artist Point for 2 people, I should add up the totals for both adults? It doesn't multiply the meal details by the number of people?

Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: