Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #736
detroitdad
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 431

Booked our tickets

Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada. My wife is Canadian so we will drive up the evening before and my in-laws will drive us to and from the airport. Delta is still a good two weeks out from releasing info for our return flight on the 29th (we are staying a couple extra days in Barcelona after the cruise), and the airfare is currently $1500+ for a return on the 15th and we would have to connect in JFK, ATL, Paris or Amsterdam.

I told my wife all along that if I see anything under $1000 we should grab it, so I am ok with the price and it's non-stop. We will arrive Fri morning at 7:30am so I am hoping that if for some reason there are delays leaving Toronto, we will still have enough of a buffer for the Saturday cruise departure. I would have liked to have arrived Thursday morning instead but my wife is only allowed 10 work days off in the summer and they made an exception for her and she is getting 12 days off. No way she was going to get 13 days.

They are refundable tickets with a $300 pp penalty but I doubt there will be anything that low to warrant getting rid of a non stop itinerary. I know the early release rates usually are higher and then come down later but with 6 of us, I just didn't want to take a chance. Hitting that final payment button was exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Makes the trip that much more real! Never thought I would have to spend over $6000 for airfare. This trip will be so expensive for us and our future vacations for a while will be pretty low key but we are so excited about it!

Of course I will still be checking out airfare out of Detroit just to see how that all pans out. Can't help myself.
detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #737
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdad
Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada. My wife is Canadian so we will drive up the evening before and my in-laws will drive us to and from the airport. Delta is still a good two weeks out from releasing info for our return flight on the 29th (we are staying a couple extra days in Barcelona after the cruise), and the airfare is currently $1500+ for a return on the 15th and we would have to connect in JFK, ATL, Paris or Amsterdam.

I told my wife all along that if I see anything under $1000 we should grab it, so I am ok with the price and it's non-stop. We will arrive Fri morning at 7:30am so I am hoping that if for some reason there are delays leaving Toronto, we will still have enough of a buffer for the Saturday cruise departure. I would have liked to have arrived Thursday morning instead but my wife is only allowed 10 work days off in the summer and they made an exception for her and she is getting 12 days off. No way she was going to get 13 days.

They are refundable tickets with a $300 pp penalty but I doubt there will be anything that low to warrant getting rid of a non stop itinerary. I know the early release rates usually are higher and then come down later but with 6 of us, I just didn't want to take a chance. Hitting that final payment button was exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Makes the trip that much more real! Never thought I would have to spend over $6000 for airfare. This trip will be so expensive for us and our future vacations for a while will be pretty low key but we are so excited about it!

Of course I will still be checking out airfare out of Detroit just to see how that all pans out. Can't help myself.
I think that's a great deal... A nonstop for just over $1,000. I prefer to not connect. We are doing B2B so we wont be able to get a proper fare watch set up until early August as we want a return flight on July 9th.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #738
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdad View Post
Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada.
We are also looking at the non-stop out of Toronto. 3 hour drive vs. 1 hour to Detroit for us, and we don't have anyone to park the car with, but the idea of non-stop is so appealing for the kid's first transatlantic flight.

One thing I have been surprised with is the incredibly high cost of taxes and fees to fly to Europe no matter where we depart from. Our plan had been to use points for 2 or 3 of the tickets. Right now we can convert our points to British Airways Avios for a 50% bonus - that would give us enough for all 4 tickets Toronto - London and London - Barcelona. But the taxes and fees are almost $3000!!!! I priced the direct Air Canada flight at $3899 total for our dates!

So then I looked at flying Detroit to Honolulu - total taxes and fees = $40 per person. A brief conversation with DH and I think I landed us a Hawaiian vacation in a couple of years! So the points are off the table and being saved for later when they will truly save us some money!!

So now we are looking at spending a few days at the beach in Spain - not sure whether it will be Costa del Sol (which I have fond memories of visiting) or closer to Barcelona (like Tossa de Mar) before a day or two in the city itself. Or maybe we will spend several days in the city at one of the apartment hotels, and travel out to some of Barcelona's own beaches on the metro. So many decisions!
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #739
thndrmatt
Real Life Mickey Wannabe!
 
thndrmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 668

re: the high taxes

British Airways, Iberia, and I'm sure some others pass one of the fuel taxes on transatlantic flights directly onto the consumer specifically on award tickets. For me to use my miles to fly on either of those airlines is ~$300-400 per person, each way, along with the massive amount of frequent flier miles.

On the contrary, if I fly on American, I pay $5 per person, each way with the same amount of frequent flier miles. No brainer there... But harder to find availability. Right now we have one ticket DCA-JFK-BCN and one DCA-MIA-BCN, and unknown whether we'll be able to get them together.
__________________
MATT - A Mickey Who Found His Minnie!
Disney Races: RFTT 06/07/08/09, Minnie 08, ToT 09, DLHM 06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13, PrinHM 09, W&DHM 10/11/12, DWM 07/09/10/11/13, GOOFY 08, DWOly 07/08, DW70.3 07
Running PRs: 5k-21:07, 10k-45:22, 15k-1:08:17, HM-1:37:45, M-3:44:48, 50k-7:49:19
Triathlon PRs: Oly-2:53:17, 70.3-6:08:31, IM-12:56:17

thndrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #740
speakupjc
DIS Veteran
 
speakupjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 1,137

Just wanted ya'll to know that we jumped ship and won't be going on this cruise any more. We will be going on the June 1 cruise to Alaska and then flying to Hawaii for a week. Have fun!
__________________
speakupjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #741
thndrmatt
Real Life Mickey Wannabe!
 
thndrmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 668

The ticket hold expired today so I called up AA as a last ditch effort, and thanks to some AAgent magic, they combined our two reservations and made us both DCA-JFK-BCN! It's costing 100k frequent flier miles for business class, but only $10.

Have to wait until the 31st to start trying to book the return...

Anyone find any amazing hotel deals for the night of the 14th pre-cruise or the night of the 27th post cruise? I can use points with Priority Club but the Holiday Inn Express is a little out of the way...
__________________
MATT - A Mickey Who Found His Minnie!
Disney Races: RFTT 06/07/08/09, Minnie 08, ToT 09, DLHM 06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13, PrinHM 09, W&DHM 10/11/12, DWM 07/09/10/11/13, GOOFY 08, DWOly 07/08, DW70.3 07
Running PRs: 5k-21:07, 10k-45:22, 15k-1:08:17, HM-1:37:45, M-3:44:48, 50k-7:49:19
Triathlon PRs: Oly-2:53:17, 70.3-6:08:31, IM-12:56:17

thndrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #742
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakupjc View Post
Just wanted ya'll to know that we jumped ship and won't be going on this cruise any more. We will be going on the June 1 cruise to Alaska and then flying to Hawaii for a week. Have fun!
Sorry to see you go, but Alaska and Hawaii sound fun. We did Alaska in 2011 and it was a great cruise.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #743
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Anyone know when excursion info might start coming out? I think we will do all ports on our own except for Rome and Athens. Not sure whether to book private tours or play it safe with the Disney excursion, but nothing to really compare it to yet!

Thanks!
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #744
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath
Anyone know when excursion info might start coming out? I think we will do all ports on our own except for Rome and Athens. Not sure whether to book private tours or play it safe with the Disney excursion, but nothing to really compare it to yet!

Thanks!
More than likely.....A little bit before the 120-day mark for the 1st cruise for Rome. Athens? Could be as late as just before the 120-day mark for us since we're the guinea pigs.
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #745
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Thanks for the reply MinnieDiva. Does anyone know if there are details of excursions from previous Med cruises anywhere? Not trip reports, but the DCL list of excursions and pricing. I know there will be changes, but just want to start getting an idea.

On another note, I cna't believe how full our cruise appears to be! There is nothing but Oceanview cabins left, and not all that many of those either! I have resigned myself to the fact that we are unlikely to see a good deal before paid-in-full date comes along, but I will keep my fingers crossed for a port upgrade if folks jump ship for cheaper options. I will be happy with my verandah cat 5B, but this is likely a once in a lifetime trip so we might be willing to pay a bit for an upgrade.
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #746
mehaul
Mouseketeer
 
mehaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath
Thanks for the reply MinnieDiva. Does anyone know if there are details of excursions from previous Med cruises anywhere? Not trip reports, but the DCL list of excursions and pricing. I know there will be changes, but just want to start getting an idea.

On another note, I cna't believe how full our cruise appears to be! There is nothing but Oceanview cabins left, and not all that many of those either! I have resigned myself to the fact that we are unlikely to see a good deal before paid-in-full date comes along, but I will keep my fingers crossed for a port upgrade if folks jump ship for cheaper options. I will be happy with my verandah cat 5B, but this is likely a once in a lifetime trip so we might be willing to pay a bit for an upgrade.
I have a full list of all the prior excursions/pricing. I posted just a few on my blog. Www.worldofmouse.com
I'll try to scan the remaining info Friday.
mehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #747
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehaul

I have a full list of all the prior excursions/pricing. I posted just a few on my blog. Www.worldofmouse.com
I'll try to scan the remaining info Friday.
Awesome, thanks!
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #748
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

And Mehaul,where did you get that really cute Mickey avatar by your name?
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #749
mehaul
Mouseketeer
 
mehaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva
And Mehaul,where did you get that really cute Mickey avatar by your name?
One of the dis magnet people has all the Mickey country flags. I went with Greece
mehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #750
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehaul View Post
I have a full list of all the prior excursions/pricing. I posted just a few on my blog. Www.worldofmouse.com
I'll try to scan the remaining info Friday.
That's great. Thanks!!!

Do previous Med cruisers remember if some of these excursions were hard to book / filled up quickly?
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: