Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #511
weatherboy80
Earning My Ears

As promised here is a picture of our anniversary cake:

As I said before it was a version of the Mickey's Delight cake with a hand painted Mickey and Minnie chocolate topper and a few extra red roses. The cake was vanilla with raspberry mousse filling to replicate our original wedding cake flavors. It was ordered for last Friday night after our dinner at the California Grill and ended up costing me $85. I did get to use my Tables in Wonderland on both the meal and cake.

Overall, the process went better than expected. The cake turned out great and tasted pretty darn good as well. They said it would serve approx 4 people, but the two of us have been eating it now (very large slices) for 3 straight nights so it could easily serve more than that. In addition, they brought out a complimentary piece of their chocolate cake (we ended up taking the entire anniversary cake home since we live within an hour), which I must admit was just as good or probably better tasting than the anniversary cake!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #512
PatsMinnie
Earning My Ears

Our First Anniversary Cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMinnie View Post
Hello all! First I would like to say thank you to LurkyLoo who seems to know a lot on this subject. I wish I had known about this thread last year when I was going through my own cake hotline issues! I think that because I am a brand-spankin' new member to DISboards, I am not yet allowed to post pics, so I will later reply with a picture of my and my husband's first anniversary cake.

I wanted a cake sent to our room at POFQ. So I was first directed to Boardwalk Bakery, after many calls with no answer, being put on hold, call dropped, redirected to Boatwright's Dining Hall, only to be redirected to Boardwalk Bakery. I was a little put off by the fact that no one seemed to be communicating among themselves before transferring my line, because each time I spoke with a new person, I had to start my story from the beginning, "Hi. I would like to order a cake sent to my room..." I was close to tears after a whole day of run around, and even though I am always polite (after all, I am asking THEM to do something for ME) my desperate frustration may have made an impression on someone because I finally got to speak with someone at the bakery to explain what I was wanted. I had already drawn the sketch. It wasn't anything too crazy, no 3-D, or screen prints (didn't even know I could do that till a few days ago reading this board) A 6 inch chocolate cake covered in white fondant with a flat Mickey head laid on top, with his red signature shorts and yellow buttons on the bottom half of the Mickey head, and Minnie Ears with a red bow between her ears. On the side of the cake, I asked for yellow, red, and black Mickey heads drawn in swirls. And of course, "Happy Anniversary" on the top with the Mickey heads. The male I spoke with at BB said no problem, he would call back with the price. Cool. So I waited for that call back. And after 2 days, I decided to call myself to see what the hold up was. Since I didn't remember the name of the male, I spoke with the female who answered and described the cake I ordered so she could locate it on their order list, and give me the price. Well, no order for a cake with that description was to be found. Wow. I cried because I needed the cake in less than a week, and I thought all hope was lost, and I couldn't trust these folks anymore. I really wish I remember her name, that female I spoke with, because I would love to give her credit for totally turning the situation around, and restoring my trust in BB. Only hiccup was they could only do the cake as a 10". No problem, I thought - just more to eat.

The cake was delivered to our room on time, and it was EXACTLY what I asked for, and my husband and I both loved it. Only regret is that I would have liked the bottom part of the Minnie head to be red with polka dots, like on the Christmas ornaments I had seen on that trip. It was delicious chocolate with strawberry mousse filling. Too bad it didn't last. We kept the cake in the refrigerator in our room the rest of our stay, and nibbled on it the next few days. Unfortunately, it did start to taste like what nail polish remover smells like, indicating that its days of goodness were over. The 10'' was definitely too big for just 2 people, even over the course of several days.

Lessons Learned (especially after reading this board): Have a celebration where Chef Brian can do the cake, or at GF - sounds like there is better communication with the client, higher skill level because they are able to do more elaborate work on smaller cakes, and leave a tiny bit of room for chef's decorating creativity (I may have liked a surprise or two in our cake).

To the credit of the cake hotline, pastry chef, dining rooms, it does appear from this board, that the customer service issues have improved over this last year, so I don't want my story to be any indication of how it is now.

I'm hoping next year my DH and I will celebrate our third anniversary at Disney, and over the next year, this board will give me some I ideas of what I would like to do for that!
Thanks weatherboy80 for reminding me I, too, could now put up a pic of my anniversary cake from last year! I love yours btw! I wish BB could have done something like that for me last year, but I'm sure I'll have future opportunities to do that...

This cake was made by the chefs at Boardwalk Bakery.
Delivery to our room at POFQ was coordinated by Boatwright's Dining Hall.
The delivery person came right on time on 9/3/11.
The total cost including tip and tax was $90.53.
Inside was chocolate cake with strawberry mousse filling - very delicious!

WDW Trips:
Several times between 1987-2004 (stayed with relatives), Sept 2011-POFQ, Jan 2012-Coronado Springs, Feb 2012-All-Star Movies (ran the Princess Half-Marathon), May 2012-WDW Dolphin, Sept 2012-All-Star Sports (ran the TOT 10 Miler)

DCL Trips:
Sept/Oct 2012 - Dream (Bahamas, 4-nights)

Upcoming trips:
Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder (Alaska, 7 nights)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #513
Brandilovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if the Mickey Mouse Head Cake is difficult to get at Boatwright's? It seems like ordering anything through them and coordinating it with the Boardwalk is a nightmare. Who would I call - Boatwright's or Boardwalk or both?

Disneyland 1983 (off property), Disneyworld 1992 (off property), Disneyworld 2003 (off property), ASMo September, 2010, POFQ November 2011, planning Star Wars Weekends and Disney Cruise Vacations

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths"
~Walt Disney~
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #514
PatsMinnie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandilovesdisney
Does anyone know if the Mickey Mouse Head Cake is difficult to get at Boatwright's? It seems like ordering anything through them and coordinating it with the Boardwalk is a nightmare. Who would I call - Boatwright's or Boardwalk or both?
I would cover my bases and call both. In my experience last year, I had to deal with both- Boardwalk to actually make the cake, and Boatwright's to deal with coordination of delivery and payment.

WDW Trips:
Several times between 1987-2004 (stayed with relatives), Sept 2011-POFQ, Jan 2012-Coronado Springs, Feb 2012-All-Star Movies (ran the Princess Half-Marathon), May 2012-WDW Dolphin, Sept 2012-All-Star Sports (ran the TOT 10 Miler)

DCL Trips:
Sept/Oct 2012 - Dream (Bahamas, 4-nights)

Upcoming trips:
Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder (Alaska, 7 nights)
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #515
amw
need a new tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboy80 View Post

IMG]
Thank you so much for finally making your posts! This is exactly the kind of cake I wanted to get from the Contemporary -- I'll make sure to save the photo.

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #516
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandilovesdisney View Post
The Mickey Cake is a standard cake available at nearly every location. You would call Boatwright's to order it. (See post #2)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #517
Belleoftheballl
Mouseketeer

How early should I call the comtporary private dining for them to make me a specialty cake? A week in advance?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #518
Belleoftheballl
Mouseketeer

Quote:

As I said before it was a version of the Mickey's Delight cake with a hand painted Mickey and Minnie chocolate topper and a few extra red roses. The cake was vanilla with raspberry mousse filling to replicate our original wedding cake flavors. It was ordered for last Friday night after our dinner at the California Grill and ended up costing me $85. I did get to use my Tables in Wonderland on both the meal and cake.

Overall, the process went better than expected. The cake turned out great and tasted pretty darn good as well. They said it would serve approx 4 people, but the two of us have been eating it now (very large slices) for 3 straight nights so it could easily serve more than that. In addition, they brought out a complimentary piece of their chocolate cake (we ended up taking the entire anniversary cake home since we live within an hour), which I must admit was just as good or probably better tasting
This cake is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this. What size of cake is this?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #519
weatherboy80
Earning My Ears

Thanks!! They said it was a six cake, but I swear it looked a bit bigger. Like I said the two of us had over 3 nights with of leftovers
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #520
alfwhoa
Earning My Ears

Wow

Love your cake!

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #521
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleoftheballl View Post
How early should I call the comtporary private dining for them to make me a specialty cake? A week in advance?
I'd say 2 or 3 weeks out, just so you have time to track anyone down who might be on vacation.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #522
Jenny1985
Mouseketeer

Love the new pics! They are making me so anxious and excited for my cake!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #523
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleaton View Post
After lurking on this thread for awhile and looking through all the pictures, I decided I had to order a cake for my little brothers high school graduation celebration. The cake was ordered through the Yacht Club, and I ordered a 6" chocolate cake with white buttercream icing. Cakes final cost after tax / delivery was about $66. My little brother likes Star Wars and Vinylmation pins / figures, so I gave them that idea, as well as the images. I assumed they were just going to do an edible image, but they said they could do 2D images with white chocolate. Here is what they came up with...

My family said the cake was very tasty. Disney also surprised them with a white chocolate Mickey statue, and 4 tuxedo strawberries.
I love that! The little star wars vinylmation figures are SO cute!

* 12/2014 Fantasy & BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #524
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I really appreciate the recent posts about POFQ delivery! DH and I are staying at POFQ in October for our second wedding anniversary. I'd really like to have a mini-recreation of our wedding cake, seen here:

I really only want one layer with a purple border at the bottom and a pumpkin on top, which seems simple enough to me. I'd originally planned on having it delivered to our room at POFQ, but reading about the hassle dealing with both Boatwright's and Boardwalk Bakery has me questioning this.

It really wouldn't be an issue to have the cake presented at a restaurant, if it would make everything more seamless. Right now, we have an ADR on our first night for dinner at Kona Cafe, which is serviced by GF bakery, right? Since they specialize in wedding cakes, would ordering the cake here be a better option?

I also read so much about Brian at the Contemporary that I'm wondering if that's how we should go. I wouldn't have any issue switching to a reservation somewhere at CR for cake delivery.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out who would make this cake the BEST, with the simplest ordering process and best price? And no matter which restaurant we go with, each bakery DOES provide a nice sturdy box and bag for your transport back to your resort, right?

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #525
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:

Overall, the process went better than expected. The cake turned out great and tasted pretty darn good as well. They said it would serve approx 4 people, but the two of us have been eating it now (very large slices) for 3 straight nights so it could easily serve more than that. In addition, they brought out a complimentary piece of their chocolate cake (we ended up taking the entire anniversary cake home since we live within an hour), which I must admit was just as good or probably better tasting than the anniversary cake!

I love your cake! I showed it to my DH hoping he'll get the hint. We're planning on going to the F&WF after our 20th anniversary cruise. I'll have to bring the cake up a few more times, until he gets a clue.
(")_(")

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: