Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
You should absolutely get more perks in the the parks and on property. Disney isn't cheap, but they do offer places for people to stay at lower costs, and offer packages for people so they can receive for their dollar. If you stay at a value or moderate you should still get some perks, but if i choose to spend more at a deluxe, Disney should bend over backwards and give me every extra perk possible. A nicer pool or room doesn't cut it. Deluxe rooms are 3 to 4 times more than a value per night. The people that stay in the deluxe usually spend more money for dining and merchandise too. Where is the value for my dollars? If you stay at a value no one will take away your perks, but if i spend more I should get more. It's capitalism not communism.
this is SO absolutely not true. many people choose the valute resorts not because they are poor, but because they love the over-the-top themeing. or they will not be at the resort much. we stay deluxe if we will be at the resort much, value if we won't. but we love the theming!!!

also we love the looks of the moderate resorts. we love a sprawling resort. we don't care for dark, interior corridors.

many people spend less on a resort, and a heck of a lot more on dining and merchandise. I don't think there is a correlation.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #47
StacyMarie
DIS Veteran
 
StacyMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 1,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
You should absolutely get more perks in the the parks and on property. Disney isn't cheap, but they do offer places for people to stay at lower costs, and offer packages for people so they can receive for their dollar. If you stay at a value or moderate you should still get some perks, but if i choose to spend more at a deluxe, Disney should bend over backwards and give me every extra perk possible. A nicer pool or room doesn't cut it. Deluxe rooms are 3 to 4 times more than a value per night. The people that stay in the deluxe usually spend more money for dining and merchandise too. Where is the value for my dollars? If you stay at a value no one will take away your perks, but if i spend more I should get more. It's capitalism not communism.
What a crock! Talk about throwing out there because somebody stays value, they must be poor or a different class as far as money is concerned. Having stayed at all levels and preferring to stay value with 2 rooms, I spend just as much money when I do a stay at deluxe with 1 room as I do when I stay value with 2 rooms. The amount of money I drop in the park for spending money is NO DIFFERENT when I stay value or moderate or DELUXE. This is our 4th year in a row and my kids just prefer value, that's all.

We are staying value again this year with 2 rooms and after upgrading to the regular dining plan and after tickets, dining, resort, and airfare, it is almost the exact same price as staying at the Poly 2 years ago with 1 room.
__________________



Stacy Jay Natalee Sydnee
Disney's Pop Century August 2012 August 2011 Pop Century Disney's Polynesian August 2010 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort August 2009 Grand Floridian - October 1997
StacyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #48
briconlo
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3

Last time I checked the restaurants in Deluxe Resorts cost more than Food Court at Pop. Deluxe resorts also tend to sell higher end merchandise. It's not an amount that you might spend but a generality. Things tend to cost more there.

It's not a rich or poor issue. Its value for your dollar issue. The more you spend the better perks you should get.

I wish they had a loyalty program. Everyone would be rewarded based on dollars or nights stayed.

When Disney keeps cutting things, the people spending more need a perk or two more.
briconlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
StacyMarie
DIS Veteran
 
StacyMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 1,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
Last time I checked the restaurants in Deluxe Resorts cost more than Food Court at Pop. Deluxe resorts also tend to sell higher end merchandise. It's not an amount that you might spend but a generality. Things tend to cost more there.

It's not a rich or poor issue. Its value for your dollar issue. The more you spend the better perks you should get.

I wish they had a loyalty program. Everyone would be rewarded based on dollars or nights stayed.

When Disney keeps cutting things, the people spending more need a perk or two more.
Sorry, but just because I stay value doesn't mean I don't eat deluxe, hence upgrading to the regular or deluxe dining plan while there. Also, just because I make the choice to stay value doesn't mean I don't spend my money on some higher end things. Where people make the choice to stay, whether they stay there or not because they can or can't afford elsewhere, should NOT be rewarded, IMO.

Now, I do agree with the loyalty program. Like I said in my previous post, dollar for dollar, now matter where we stay, 1 room at deluxe, 2 rooms at moderate, or 2 rooms at value, we tend to spend the same amount of money on our vacation. When we stay value, we don't eat value and frankly your condescending comment about the price of a deluxe restaurant not costing the same as a value last time you checked is RUDE. We enjoy the same restaurants we would enjoy if we stay deluxe. In fact, we are visiting Boma, O'Hana, and Le Cellier in our upcoming trip while staying value.
__________________



Stacy Jay Natalee Sydnee
Disney's Pop Century August 2012 August 2011 Pop Century Disney's Polynesian August 2010 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort August 2009 Grand Floridian - October 1997
StacyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #50
slapwhitey


Mouseketeer
 
slapwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Always enroute to Disney
Posts: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
You should absolutely get more perks in the the parks and on property. Disney isn't cheap, but they do offer places for people to stay at lower costs, and offer packages for people so they can receive for their dollar. If you stay at a value or moderate you should still get some perks, but if i choose to spend more at a deluxe, Disney should bend over backwards and give me every extra perk possible. A nicer pool or room doesn't cut it. Deluxe rooms are 3 to 4 times more than a value per night. The people that stay in the deluxe usually spend more money for dining and merchandise too. Where is the value for my dollars? If you stay at a value no one will take away your perks, but if i spend more I should get more. It's capitalism not communism.
Call me crazy but I think I can understand where the poster is coming from and actually agree on some of these points.

Let me state again that we are typically not Deluxe vacationers for the most part whether by choice or not. I can also completely understand that if you stay couple rooms at a value or 1 room for that matter that you could ultimately spend the same amount on your vacation as the deluxe family when you factor in package, dining, merchandise, etc. There is also that dank dusty part of my mind that can understand why Disney would reward deluxe resort visitors. Resorts and packages is really the only way Disney can measure what you are spending on your trip. They can't tell or assume how much one will spend on merchandise, food and "extras". So if they decide to offer perks, however large or small, based on dollars the resort is the easiest way to calculate those monies. Sure you could say they know what you charge to your room account but not all people do that and that info would also not be available until the trip is well underway.

I also agree that Disney should make a person feel deluxe at the deluxe resorts. We've stayed across the board at Disney and you will never convince me that a room at the Poly is worth $300 or so more than a room at Port Orleans.....you just won't. If we want to experience the theming of the Poly, we visit the Poly. Everyone has that opportunity. I just don't see the added value in the accommodation for such a large gap in price points. Now, you start offering me perks that I can't get at a moderate or value and I may start sipping the kool-aid.

Disney does not always make the best decisions but they are not stupid. If they implemented something that affected the way their guests enjoyed the resorts and parks and started affecting their bottom line they would quickly stop such a promotion.

Also, whether people are confident enough to admit it or not Disney clearly offers merchandise at Poly and Grand Floridian that is geared toward a specific clientele and they have been for years so they can't be far off the mark. I'm fine if I get blasted for some of these remarks and honestly can understand why people would get upset at such a promotion but at the same time I can see why it could work and how it could make sense.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
slapwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,291
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway Kev View Post
Yes, there should be some added value for staying at the deluxe resorts. But it should have nothing to do with Fast Passes. it should have everything to do with a "frequent flyer" program.

Disney needs to put something into place to award those repeat customers. And like Pete has said, they are the only hotels who don't offer that. Some could argue that DVC is the award for repeat customers but there should be something more.

On the cruise line the Castaway Club has developed into tiers of silver, gold and platinum based on the number of cruises you have taken. The problem with doing things this way is that there is no added value for taking longer cruises or staying in nicer staterooms. A 1-night cruise in an inside stateroom out of New York counts the same as a 14-night transatlantic cruise in the Roy Disney Suite. That is just not right.

When a "frequent flyer" program rolls out for those staying on property at WDW, they can include value for those who stay at the Deluxe resort.
I don't understand the highlighted statement. How do you figure that DVC is a reward for repeat customers? Unless the representative I talked to left out some important information, you don't get automatically upgraded to DVC if you stay on property frequently. You don't get a discount on staying at a DVC resort if you stay on property frequently. You don't get a discount on buying DVC if you stay on property frequently. DVC is a choice some people make (who like that kind of thing and usually who stay on property frequently), but it is in no way a "reward" that Disney awards to someone who stays on property frequently. You could go to WDW 10 times a year, staying on property, and that will in no way earn you anything to do with DVC.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #52
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
Last time I checked the restaurants in Deluxe Resorts cost more than Food Court at Pop. Deluxe resorts also tend to sell higher end merchandise. It's not an amount that you might spend but a generality. Things tend to cost more there.

It's not a rich or poor issue. Its value for your dollar issue. The more you spend the better perks you should get.

I wish they had a loyalty program. Everyone would be rewarded based on dollars or nights stayed.

When Disney keeps cutting things, the people spending more need a perk or two more.

who says we eat only at the food court when at pop , or all stars? I did get a pretty inexpensive hot dog at a cart, though, when I stayed at the Boardwalk. and a pretty cheap slice of pizza.
oh yeah, I bought an amazingly inexpensive hamburger at Hurrican Hannahs when I stayed at Beach Club.

Oh! but when I stayed at Pop, I enjoyed a 22 ounce porterhouse at the Yachtsman's Steakhouse.

and how would you run such a loyalty program. on which one of the bolded? one year we took 5 trips! but most of them were at a value or moderate resort. I would think that would make us "better" customers than someone who stays one week at the Poly the whole year! ( I don't really think that, just making a point. none of us are better than any other)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyMarie View Post
Sorry, but just because I stay value doesn't mean I don't eat deluxe, hence upgrading to the regular or deluxe dining plan while there. Also, just because I make the choice to stay value doesn't mean I don't spend my money on some higher end things. Where people make the choice to stay, whether they stay there or not because they can or can't afford elsewhere, should NOT be rewarded, IMO.

Now, I do agree with the loyalty program. Like I said in my previous post, dollar for dollar, now matter where we stay, 1 room at deluxe, 2 rooms at moderate, or 2 rooms at value, we tend to spend the same amount of money on our vacation. When we stay value, we don't eat value and frankly your condescending comment about the price of a deluxe restaurant not costing the same as a value last time you checked is RUDE. We enjoy the same restaurants we would enjoy if we stay deluxe. In fact, we are visiting Boma, O'Hana, and Le Cellier in our upcoming trip while staying value.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #53
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!
 
BriarRosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconlo View Post
You should absolutely get more perks in the the parks and on property. Disney isn't cheap, but they do offer places for people to stay at lower costs, and offer packages for people so they can receive for their dollar. If you stay at a value or moderate you should still get some perks, but if i choose to spend more at a deluxe, Disney should bend over backwards and give me every extra perk possible. A nicer pool or room doesn't cut it. Deluxe rooms are 3 to 4 times more than a value per night. The people that stay in the deluxe usually spend more money for dining and merchandise too. Where is the value for my dollars? If you stay at a value no one will take away your perks, but if i spend more I should get more. It's capitalism not communism.
I disagree only because I'm the type of person who has stayed often in a value resort (mostly pre-DVC) in order to have many full service meals, often at signature restaurants.

And to address other people's comments:

I don't really get how people are saying that DVC members are screwed because we can't take advantage of packages. I say we're making out like bandits if we're paying value resort prices (over the course of the purchase plus maintenance fees) and getting deluxe resorts. And the DVC discount for my annual pass, which in turn gets me the AP discount for Tables in Wonderland...I feel that I am doing really well, cost-wise!
__________________
BriarRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.