Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Music from Universal's "Peter Pan" movie used by Disney for ads?

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this for me...

Several years ago, Disney used a particular piece of instrumental music in their park ads, at least for WDW. I don't think it was used in the parks particularly. I'm not sure how many years ago, but it was probably at least 4 or so - maybe when they started the "buy 4/get 3 free" promotions.

The music I believe actually came from Universal/Colombia's movie, "Peter Pan" (2003), starring Jason Isaacs, with the music by James Newton Howard.

The theme appears at various times through the movie, but notably at the beginning of the end credits. It is called "Flying", and you can hear a sample here.

Does anyone remember this being used in the TV ads?

I just find it unusual because Disney had nothing to do with this film (except in Switzerland, where BVI distributed it).
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

I thought this was really weird too!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Yes. I remember it.
In fact, I liked the music from the commercials so much that I downloaded it from iTunes. I also used it as the music for a slideshow that I made to celebrate DD’s engagement, which happened at WDW.
DD has been married 5 years ago (today), so it was used in WDW ads more than 5 years ago.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Yes, it was the theme music for the "Year of a Million Dreams" ads. At least the FIRST year of dreams. I don't recall if they still played the ads during year two of dreams.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this for me...

Several years ago, Disney used a particular piece of instrumental music in their park ads, at least for WDW. I don't think it was used in the parks particularly. I'm not sure how many years ago, but it was probably at least 4 or so - maybe when they started the "buy 4/get 3 free" promotions.

The music I believe actually came from Universal/Colombia's movie, "Peter Pan" (2003), starring Jason Isaacs, with the music by James Newton Howard.

The theme appears at various times through the movie, but notably at the beginning of the end credits. It is called "Flying", and you can hear a sample here.

Does anyone remember this being used in the TV ads?

I just find it unusual because Disney had nothing to do with this film (except in Switzerland, where BVI distributed it).

James Newton Howard has scored 3 Disney movies to date and composers from time to time get asked to score commercials or for background music. Composers will steal from themselves. Just listen to any James Horner Soundtrack. You hear Battle Beyond the Stars in Star Trek II, Krull, and the Rocketeer. Also, "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens was featured in a scene from Die Hard. You will hear John Williams quote himself in licks taken from Star Wars Episode 1 in Harry Potter 1.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
James Newton Howard has scored 3 Disney movies to date and composers from time to time get asked to score commercials or for background music. Composers will steal from themselves. Just listen to any James Horner Soundtrack. You hear Battle Beyond the Stars in Star Trek II, Krull, and the Rocketeer. Also, "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens was featured in a scene from Die Hard. You will hear John Williams quote himself in licks taken from Star Wars Episode 1 in Harry Potter 1.
True, but this seemed more than stealing a bar or two...

Edit: Thinking back, maybe it was just a couple bars, repeated over and over...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 07-21-2012 at 07:46 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
True, but this seemed more than stealing a bar or two...
It is not uncommon to steal whole themes note for note.

Bill Conti stole from the Tchaikovsky Violin concerto for the Right Stuff. and it was pretty much note for note for whole phrases.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

that music was also used for the Disney promo featuring a tour of the new Cinderella Castle suite when it was first opened and the video tour you could watch on the Disney website... I remember because my daughter had to watch it over and over (I loved it too!)
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
elaine and the boys
DIS Veteran

I remember hearing it a few years ago when first logging into Disney's website. I loved this music! Then when I saw the Peter Pan movie I immediately recognized it as the music I had heard on the website. Makes me feel the magic every time I hear it!

Offsite~Apr'76/Offsite~Dec'82/POFQ~Feb'03/CBR~Feb'04/CSR~Dec'05/Dolphin~Feb'07/
POR~Feb'08/Dolphin~Dec'09/Swan~Feb'11/POFQ~Mar'12/Swan~Feb'13/Swan~Feb'14

elaine and the boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
southernbelle20
Mouseketeer

It was also used in Pixie Hollow exit.
southernbelle20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: