Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
I'm surprised that some of you don't know what classes your kids got into yet. DD was given a list in January and then met w/her counselor and was given the opportunity to tweek it. All we're waiting for is the list of times/teachers so we can see what friends are in her classes.
DD did meet with teachers to get recommendations for classes, and did online pre-registration, so she knows which classes she signed up for. We are waiting now for her schedule- the school does "block scheduling", so she will only have 4 classes per semester. We don't know if she will have Geometry in the fall or spring, for example.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!!
I sure wish every freshman could start with what they all realize by the time they graduate - - Don't worry so much about what others think, seek out TRUE friends, and step out of your comfort zone, get involved and enjoy it
I love this and I think it is so worth repeating!!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
DD's school also does the schoolwide book assignment. She has barely started it.
Luckily DD liked the first book she was reading and finished it quickly. She also got the character analysis done last Saturday. Now she has to read Fahrenheit 451 and Great Expectations. I told her to get Fahrenheit 451 done (since it is much shorter) by the end of this month so that she can have all of August to work on Great Expectations. She can finish a book pretty quick if she enjoys it. I'm just worried that she won't enjoy those.

Quote:
Mine has four.. I don't remember it being that way when I was in school. Fortunately they are very good grades (but not great). I'm really hoping she will hit the ground running but I'm not sure. She has two summer assignments that she hasn't looked at yet. But we don't start back until after Labor Day.

I'm surprised that some of you don't know what classes your kids got into yet. DD was given a list in January and then met w/her counselor and was given the opportunity to tweek it. All we're waiting for is the list of times/teachers so we can see what friends are in her classes.
We had a pre-orientation at the end of 8th grade so DD knows what classes she was recommended for. She also selected her elective at that time. So we are just waiting on her schedule. I heard that she might not even get that until the first day, which really surprises me. Since it is the same high school that I went to (and my Mom worked at for many years), I would like the opportunity to walk her around and show her where everything is...but I don't know if that is going to happen. My Mom said she is going to take her one day even if we don't have the schedule, just to help her get familiar with the campus.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Yes, DD got her class assignments in March (I think), but I don't know if they are set in stone. If they are and the solid Cs my "darling" brought home don't mess things up, then we are just waiting for class assignments, which she doesn't get until first day of classes. However, space in the top honors classes is always limited and I can see her getting bounced from at least Honors Geometry based on last quarter's C. Well, we will see what happens.

Last edited by punkin; 07-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I love this and I think it is so worth repeating!!
After being around some of her classmates for 9 years now, DD is so hoping that there aren't very many of them in her classes this year. She is more than ready to expand her circle of "friends" and leave many of them behind.

She tried out and made color guard. She's already bonded with a couple of the girls. Plus with her brother having already spent the last 2 years as a member, she does know several of those kids, many upper classmen, so thats a bonus.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Add me to this group My DD will be starting High School on September 6th. She was a little irritated when she found out that all incoming freshman have to read one book over the summer (from a list given to them the last week of 8th grade) and write a character analysis for the first day. She was even more irritated to find out that she would have to do 3 for her Honor's Language Arts class

But other than that, she seems pretty OK with it. Now me....I'm not sure that I am ready for it
My DD has to read 3 books for her Honors English class and have at least 50 annotations for each. As well as reading 2 books for her Honors History class...she was a little upset about the History books but she has managed to read both of those pretty easily. She's about half way through the 2nd English book requirement but she crumbles everyday about having to do it

My concern is that they don't get their schedule till the first day of school and I've heard that some kids are in the office most of the day because the schedule is messed up. I ran into one of the middle school teachers who has a son in my DD grade and she said that she was lucky that she asked to see his schedule because sure enough his schedule had been messed up and they had put him in the wrong language class - German II instead of Latin as he had choosen.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my DD's schedule is ok - my issue is that she's going to the local VoTech for the Gifted & Talented Dance program in the afternoon and taking her academic honors classes at the high school in the morning. I've already had words with the guidance counselor back in May - she had the nerve to ask me "why my DD wanted to do the dance program since she was in the top of her class academically!"

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by czycropper View Post
My DD has to read 3 books for her Honors English class and have at least 50 annotations for each. As well as reading 2 books for her Honors History class...she was a little upset about the History books but she has managed to read both of those pretty easily. She's about half way through the 2nd English book requirement but she crumbles everyday about having to do it

My concern is that they don't get their schedule till the first day of school and I've heard that some kids are in the office most of the day because the schedule is messed up. I ran into one of the middle school teachers who has a son in my DD grade and she said that she was lucky that she asked to see his schedule because sure enough his schedule had been messed up and they had put him in the wrong language class - German II instead of Latin as he had choosen.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my DD's schedule is ok - my issue is that she's going to the local VoTech for the Gifted & Talented Dance program in the afternoon and taking her academic honors classes at the high school in the morning. I've already had words with the guidance counselor back in May - she had the nerve to ask me "why my DD wanted to do the dance program since she was in the top of her class academically!"
ahhh...guidance counselors!

...actually, DD13 had a fairly decent one in middle school after the horror she had in 6th grade (the same one DD19 had in middle school) retired. I hope she doesn't get stuck with the same guidance counselor my older one had in HS either. Yuck!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by czycropper View Post

I say this gently -- both as the mother of a HS freshman and college freshman who danced for 13 years. Maybe the guidance counselor sees some disadvantages to your daughter's future opportunities because of the choice to dance in the VoTech program.

I'm not saying don't dance. Like I said, my eldest danced for 13 years, several competitively. She stepped off the competition track her sophomore year because she knew her academic load was on a serious upswing. She split her time between two high schools to pursue a heavy math, science, technical program & was at her home HS for the balance of the day. This meant she could not pursue choir any longer because of scheduling conflicts, as well as certain other classes. She decided it was worth it.

Could it be the counselor was trying to make certain you and your daughter knew the pros and cons of the dance program choice? For me reading between the lines I wonder if she doesn't think there is a more beneficial path for a good student like your daughter. A good relationship w/ a conscientious counselor is a HS seniors best friend.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Well, we picked up DD's registration package yesterday and I was glad to see that it included an invitation to a 2-hour orientation at the school the week before they start. I was a little worried when her pre-orientation at the school back in May didn't include a tour at all. So we will make sure to sign her up for this one.

She will be the in last group to register but I think the classes are all pre-assigned so I don't think that should be a problem. As long as they have her in the right classes

Now I have to do my homework (filling out all the forms before she registers)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Time for a bump.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #41
snoodledoo
Loves Jiminy Cricket

DD just turned 14 on Thurs and is starting school 8/8.

I thought it was odd that tryouts for the Fall sports begin 8/6 - before school starts. Is that common?

I'm really nervous for tryouts. She is coming from a very small charter school and will only know a handful of girls going into a very large school, so making the team could really be helpful for her to make friends quickly. (Fingers crossed!)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #42
hereyago
DIS Veteran

OP: thanks for starting this thread! Dd13 will start high school this fall. She will actually be attending my former high school's rival lol. She is excited and I am excited for her as well. She won't start until day after labor day and 9th grade orientation is a few days before. She knows which classes she will be taking just not know in what order yet. There are so many clubs but she wants to do one that has community service. I have told her even the guidance counselor told thie kids high school is no longer play time and yes you may like your friends and want to take classes but that may not happen and now is the time to start their own paths. I have bought her basic supplies just waiting to see what other things I need to buy lol. Wishing all our kids successful years!
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #43
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

My son is going into 9th as well. He got into a STEM H.S. (science, technology, engineering, and math) so he is leaving his old classmates behind and joining a school that serves 3 school districts.

He will have to take public transit. I think he is more worried about the bus than school. I could drive him, but I'm not letting him know that I'm open to that because I want to have him try it first.

He had to say goodbye to band. They don't offer it at his new school. He had so much fun in band for three years and he would have gone on a trip to Hawaii this year on a band trip had he decided to go to the regular h.s.

I'm so anxious. I know he is excited about getting into this school, but I know how difficult it is to start anything new.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #44
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoodledoo View Post
DD just turned 14 on Thurs and is starting school 8/8.

I thought it was odd that tryouts for the Fall sports begin 8/6 - before school starts. Is that common?

I'm really nervous for tryouts. She is coming from a very small charter school and will only know a handful of girls going into a very large school, so making the team could really be helpful for her to make friends quickly. (Fingers crossed!)
Our school has tryouts for fall sports a couple of weeks before school starts. The teams practice before school starts because many of them will have their first games the week that school starts.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Hi, I'd like to join in. My youngest daughter will be a freshman starting Sept. 4th. I have another daughter who will be a junior.

Looking forward to an exciting year. They both play volleyball, and I always enjoy watching their games.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: