Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #31
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

getting on board for your long awaited trip report (well i've been waiting for it!! )...

great start!!

did you take your kids out of the end of school? Or were they already finished when you left?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
getting on board for your long awaited trip report (well i've been waiting for it!! )...

great start!!

did you take your kids out of the end of school? Or were they already finished when you left?
Glad you're here!
We did take the kids out a week early. It was the only year we could do it as all 4 were in middle school this year (same finish date) and the older kids were in 9th grade so no matriculation exams complicating the end of the year. They really did not miss anything other than collecting their report cards. DS15 and one DD15 did miss end of year performances in acrobatics and dance, but they were ok with that. I'm so glad we did the early pull!

Hope you're having a good summer!
Maybe we should open an Israeli-Anglo branch of DU here????

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Glad you're here!
We did take the kids out a week early. It was the only year we could do it as all 4 were in middle school this year (same finish date) and the older kids were in 9th grade so no matriculation exams complicating the end of the year. They really did not miss anything other than collecting their report cards. DS15 and one DD15 did miss end of year performances in acrobatics and dance, but they were ok with that. I'm so glad we did the early pull!

Hope you're having a good summer!
Maybe we should open an Israeli-Anglo branch of DU here????
DCL is a "tad" over the budget of most israelis.... English speaking or otherwise...
you can get a lot more bang for your buck with just about any of the other cruise lines....and honestly, i'm not convinced that DCL is worth the difference...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Day 1, Part 2 - Sailaway and onwards until slumber...

For the next 1 1/2 hours, we camped there beside the Mickey Pool. We ate. The kids headed off in pairs to explore, looping back to tell us what they'd found. They "discovered" their clubs, the basketball court, the ice cream bar, and the soda bar. Happiness all around! Pluto wandered by and tried to beg a lick of ice cream off of DD15!

Our first Magical Moment! It was breezy and a bit chilly. Only a few brave (youthful, numb) children were going into the pool. Felt bad for the CM shivering at her lifeguard station!

At 1:30 we headed down to deck 2. EStewart already had their FE up and door decorated! There were I think 5 rooms on our end of the hall with FEs and door decorations. That was very cool, too. I took a bunch of pics of the room and the door (I always wondered what the inside of the steamer trunk looked like, and how big were those closets??).

18 hangers in the closet, of three different types. Just in case you were wondering!

Spa tour. Cruise meet in the Promenade Lounge. Raffle at the Spa (none of our DISgroup won anything). Muster Drill. We were at Animator's Palate, as were at least 2 or 3 other large groups. Couldn't hear a thing. But we were there. By this time it was 4:30. Up on deck, the Sailaway party was going strong. We watched from deck 10. It was quite loud but pretty exciting.

No Mickey Hands or streamers given to the guests (again, the rest of my family didn't know to miss that, so it was fine). Most fun was watching this granny standing next to us wave her arms and wiggle her bod! She was totally into it!

If I inadvertantly took a picture of anyone you know, tell them thanks for making the party a fun rockin' time!

We looked over at the Intrepid Air and Sea Museum in the next dock over. The Space Shuttle Enterprise was already onboard!

It's not open yet, but there it was! It was warm in the sun. Cool in the shade. Sweatshirts off, sweatshirts on.

Sailaway! 5:10 or so. Walked around, played a bit of shuffleboard, took lots of pictures. Watched NYC go by.

Waved to the water taxi, to the seagull, to the helicopter pilot. Over on the other side of the ship we could see Lady Liberty. Ellis Island.

Wow. Not wanting to miss anything, we sent the kids down to the cabin 2 at a time to change out of shorts. Guess who stopped by for a photo-op!

Stayed on deck until the SOL was well photographed, then finally headed to dinner. (At this point the camera took a break -- for tonight anyway!)

Our rotation was APLAP (Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, Lumiere's...). We were seated at a 6-top (by request) against a wall, a good location for us, would turn out to be our "quietest" table location, DH was pleased. Only "problem" was that the picture over our table was broken and never got lit up. This only bothered on DD15. She enjoyed the color show enormously and pointed out every change (or lack thereof) to us all throughout the meal! We had our first ordering experience and though I won't go into every detail of what we ordered, let's just say that with some help from us and Mario (server) and Nishank (assistant server), the kids did great ordering new things and finding good basic foods as well. Our vegetarian DS13 also did great. Basically they all just wanted to get to dessert though. But that is for another posting!

The boat was rocking but not too bad. None of the family complained (I had taken Bonine just in case). After dinner we walked around. Looked at the shops, at Shutters, the Edge for DS13 and then back to the room to unpack. At 8:00 I went to Guest Services to drop off pillowcases for signing. There was no line at all! DS13 tried out the Edge and DDs15 and DS15 went to the Vibe. DH fell asleep. I went out to the teak deck chairs on deck 4. Watched the water. Wrote in my journal. The Queen Mary II passed us in the distance! Lit up like a carnival! By 10:00 I was in bed. Very comfortable gently rocking bed!
Having a Sea Day on Day Two is brilliant planning. Life. Is. Good.

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-16-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #35
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Great Trip Report

Thanks for the update, and for answering questions.
Great photos!
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Day Two:
I slept very well. The mattress was so comfy! The gentle rocking was calming, there was just a quiet hum from the engines (it was a sea day, no docking sounds...), and the room was very, very dark (we left on one bathroom light).
My thoughts on the room (pictures mostly posted already on Day 1):We were in a Category 10C, Deluxe Inside Stateroom, connecting rooms #2145 and 2143. Split bath – brilliant. Small, just enough room for one body. But great to have the extra two separate areas. Closet quite ample! Nine hangers on each side, some with clips, some straight, some for pants. Cloth laundry bag – embroidered. We wanted to take it home! Wonder if they sell them anywhere ?(and I don't mean on ebay…). We didn't bring an over-the-door pocket organizer, and didn't miss it at all. Also didn't bring the pop-up hamper – and didn't miss it. We stuffed our washing into the two cloth bags, and then transferred them to plastic bags to put in the empty "laundry" suitcase later. Toilets flush quite noisily. Think airplane toilets. Tap water very drinkable. Good storage in bathrooms, too. Corner shelf and both under and over-sink shelves! Electrical outlets – glad we brought a power strip. We needed to plug in a CPAP machine by the bed and it was a challenge to get to the plug which was at the head of the bed down below mattress line. But once we were plugged in it was fine.
Those are my thoughts on the room!

I woke up at 6:30 am, still a bit jet lagged. No desire to sleep more – too much to do! DH and DS15 awake, too. Up to deck 9: it was overcast, windy and chilly out!

We had our first breakfast at Goofy's Galley, which opens at 7:00. Fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereal. Hot chocolate and coffee from the drink station. At 7:30 I ACTUALLY went to the spa and did a stretching class! It was wonderful! Unfortunately I never woke up this early again, so it was a one-time wonderful event for me! It was quite mild, good for all types of folks. Maybe 10 – 15 participants. Lasted around 20 minutes.
By 8:00 Topsiders was open. Time for a second breakfast! Just me and DH sitting and noshing, I think I just had fruit and coffee this time… I think! DH had roughly 3 breakfasts every day. He loved the breakfast buffets! Afterwards we went to see what Cove Café was all about, sat together outside in the sheltered area there, nice soft loungers. 9:30, and the rest of the teens had finally dragged themselves awake. Time for … breakfast #3! Enjoyed watching them – I really didn't "need" a third breakfast yet!

We all walked around and DS15 and I went to browse the stores. He likes to collect pins and we found a limited edition Saint John pin mixed in with all the regular pins! Pixie Dust – they were only supposed to be available at a special pin event that evening! I bought myself a Statue of Liberty "Tervis" type of cup, and a little embroidery thread bracelet that says "Magic". Took a bunch of pics of the souvenirs (also in previous post!). Don't love the NY-Canada designs too much. Why do they call it New England Coast???? Anyone??? Did I already rant on this?

We walked by the princess meet-and-greet – cuteness! No little princesses in our family, though. Only sleeping beauties! Back in the room we found DH happily watching "Thor" on TV, and learned that DS13 had gone off to see Chimpanzee. He went to four movies in 5 days!

I packed my canvas bag and went out for some "me" time. I was really happy I had a "tote bag" as DH had commandeered the backpack, and it was great to have a small bag to carry around the ship! Sitting on a lounger in the protected deck by the Quiet Cove, with a fleece blanket tucked around my legs, I read over the days' Navigator. There was some sun, but mostly overcast. Not many were swimming. In fact, almost no adults. Maybe a few in the hot tub. A mom and her tween daughter took loungers by me and a CM very nicely told them that this was an adult only area. Thumbs up! Plan: 10:30 Art of Entertaining; 11:30 Animation Class; 1:00 Mickey 200 with kids; 4:00pm, Art of the Theme ship tour; 5:45pm dinner; 8:30pm, show – Twice Charmed. That was the plan… are you wondering if I did it all?

!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #37
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I am really enjoying hearing about this cruise - I love to hear about the more unusual itineraries. And I have to say I really loved seeing Liberty Minnie!

Can't wait for more!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #38
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Joining in! I am really enjoying hearing about this cruise - I love to hear about the more unusual itineraries. And I have to say I really loved seeing Liberty Minnie!

Can't wait for more!
!!
On the last night there was a character greet with BOTH M and M in their NY gear!!! I also loved the Halifax Mickey in his yellow slicker!

!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #39
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

10:30: Art of Entertaining was entertaining. Salmon in filo dough! By chance I had ordered this dish the night before and it was yummy! I plan to try to make it sometime. But I would skip the sauce it sits in. Chef Corey was very amusing!

They served everyone a piece of salmon and a glass of wine. As you may recall, I had just sat through three breakfasts. Still, I "had" to taste it! There was a short wine talk, too, but I didn't stay for that.

And, alas, I didn't stay for the Animation Class. Next time? When I went back to check on the family, I decided that the kids needed some help to "get out". The lack of sunny weather had them a bit stumped. So the four teens and I headed to play "The Wheel", i.e. Wheel of Fortune, in the Promenade Lounge. It was all done on a projection screen and was really fun!

Lots of cheering and hooting, lots of spirit! Met a few nice folks who we would then bump into here and there to say hello! Right after WOF was the Mickey 200. My guys were the oldest competitors, and as such I allowed them to wield their own blunt knife to create the race car out of a carrot and a potato.

I really didn't interfere. It didn't roll too well alas (in fact it got stuck in the start gate, but don't tell them I told you!) but it was sure fun! Lunch together at Topsiders, then we all went in our own directions. Older teens went to the Vibe for an ice cream social, , went to Guest Services to add our Disney Reward card to our account, and then DS13 and I delivered some FE gifts…

At 4:00 pm I was at the entrance to Palo for the Art of the Theme tour. I thought it would be about "art" but it was more about "theme", still very interesting and a fun way to spend an hour!

Lots of little details pointed out. Particularly loved the story of "Monica Blue", the color of the bottom part of the outside of the ship (almost black). Does anyone know that story?

5:45 and we were ready for dinner at Parrot Cay. Did you have a funny feeling it should be semi-formal night tonight?

Well, we didn't! Haha! Yes, with all of my uber-planning, I actually got the nights MIXED UP and did not get us "dressed" for semi-formal tonight! The funniest part is that I didn't even realize it until hours later!!!! Of course we noticed that there were people really dressed up, but some other nights we noticed that, too. And this WAS only our second cruise dinner ever. So we felt blissfully comfortable as we were! The funniest part is that I think I had myself so convinced that THE PLACE for semi-formal night would be Lumiere's, that I simply made it so! The kids all thought it was pretty funny. And yes, we dressed up (well, as dressed as we get) for Lumiere's the next night. Hermans do semi-formal when, and where, Hermans WISH to do semi-formal!
Back at Parrot Cay (where it was semi-formal night, did I mention that?), it was also show night and we got a kick out of our napkin hats.

Server Mario and Asst. Server Nishank played around with us a bit and the team presented DS13 with his birthday cake and song.

After dinner, DS13 went to see Muppets 3D (he was the movie maniac!) while DD15, DH and I went to see Twice Charmed. Impressive? YES! I think the other two went to the Vibe for "Pump It Up", where they go use the exercise stuff at the spa! We had a great day. A Sea Day. Tomorrow: Halifax. Good night!

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-22-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Great update! Y'all are doing a great job of taking advantage of all there was to do on the ship. We really sucked at that!

That is too funny about semi-formal night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
!!
On the last night there was a character greet with BOTH M and M in their NY gear!!! I also loved the Halifax Mickey in his yellow slicker!
That is so cool! For some reason, I am nearly obsessed with characters in different clothes. The whole idea just dazzles my brain - I mean they are in costume and then in costume again!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
heathere3
Mouseketeer

I'm loving your TR, and can't wait to read more! In answer to your question about "New England Coast", that's what they call the north eastern states in the US, New England. Pretty much anything north and east of New York is considered part of it as I understand. We sail Sept 2nd for the same cruise, and I am getting VERY excited!
heathere3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #42
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathere3 View Post
I'm loving your TR, and can't wait to read more! In answer to your question about "New England Coast", that's what they call the north eastern states in the US, New England. Pretty much anything north and east of New York is considered part of it as I understand. We sail Sept 2nd for the same cruise, and I am getting VERY excited!
But is North Eastern Canada also considered part of New England? That's my issue with the name, because honestly you don't see ANY coast between NY and Canada! Just a little weird detail, I guess! I'd hoped that we would be close enough to see the New England coastline, but even on our last sea day with great weather it was just sea sea sea.

You're so lucky that you still have your cruise ahead of you!

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-22-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #43
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Great update! Y'all are doing a great job of taking advantage of all there was to do on the ship. We really sucked at that!
On the first sea day we had chilly windy weather so it was "easier" to do all the inside activities. But honestly I didn't feel like I rested at all! So on the second sea day, I made an effort to "chill out" more!

!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for the great review. I also want go to the Art of Entertainment seminar. I was wondering if you need to sign up prior or can you just show ho? Also…is there a fee for it?

Thanks

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #45
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

The Art of Entertaining was held once on each sea day in the Studio Sea lounge. It was free and no registration required. They have print outs of the recipes and if you arrive late you will definitely have place (it's a big studio) but they may run out of recipe pages. I did the "main course" (salmon) and on the second sea day, the "dessert" (apple strudel). They also talk about making dessert for a whole ship, how much they need, who does what jobs, what kind of salmon, etc. It's chatty and fun!

!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: